Wrestling Game Ideas.........

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Ok. Since everyone is hinting that I make a wrestling game, then I guess I'll prolly take a crack at it.. but production won't start anytime soon as I am looking for YOUR opinions, suggestions, etc.

Anyway..

It's gonna be 2.5D texture.. something of similar graphic to Super Mario RPG or SONIC 3D Blast.

Anyone have any suggestions or requests of features that they wanna see in this wrestling game?

Edited by Phil Roberts, 17 May 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#2 -{Niwo}-

-{Niwo}-

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

I wanna be able to break peoples necks.

#3 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

You want to be able to break necks, in this game!?! uhhhh... that's a little morbid. But, in all seriousness.. I am looking for feature ideas, engine ideas.. pretty much YOUR thoughts on what would make this game, BAD-A**.

#4 -{Niwo}-

-{Niwo}-

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

Uhmmm... yeah, wrestling games... isn't wrestling about voilence? If had to play another wrestling, i at least want somekind of voilence. On the other side, i don't know what kind of wrestling game this will be. If it would be somekind of mario wrestling game, i see what you mean when you say my thoughts is 'a little morbid'. But really, just becouse the game has mario graphics, doesn't it necessarily has to mean it will have the same kind of gameplay.

Oh well, nevermind, just tell me one thing: what does it mean that it's going to be 2.5D textures? Just curious.

#5 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5849 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

I want to see lots of crazy "finishing moves". Like the Canadian Destroyer. If you put that in I'd play it just to see that. It's basically a front flip which ends with the victims head being slammed into the ground. The best part is that the move is only possible to perform with the victim's consent, initiative and help! :P

#6 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Uhmmm... yeah, wrestling games... isn't wrestling about voilence? If had to play another wrestling, i at least want somekind of voilence. On the other side, i don't know what kind of wrestling game this will be. If it would be somekind of mario wrestling game, i see what you mean when you say my thoughts is 'a little morbid'. But really, just becouse the game has mario graphics, doesn't it necessarily has to mean it will have the same kind of gameplay.

Oh well, nevermind, just tell me one thing: what does it mean that it's going to be 2.5D textures? Just curious.

2.5D is like half 3D, half 2D.. it has that 3D feel but still looks a bit 2D-ish. I would try to go all 3D.. but right now.. half & half is where I'll stick until otherwise.

Anyway... anyone else have other ideas or suggestions?

Edited by Phil Roberts, 17 May 2008 - 08:30 PM.

#7 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

uhhhhh how about you can use a gun (1 bullet) and it doesnt allow you to actually kill the other person but it makes them quite fatigued. this gives your character an advantage to beat the **** out of the guy :P

#8 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

THAT... does not even make sense. Seriously people.. I am, for some oddball reason.. having these crazy a** writers blocks, or whatever ya wanna call them & all in all.. I want you folks to actually have a game where you're satisfied with what's there & YOUR opinions matter.. but I don't want anything STUPID, like what I just read about the gun & the bullet.

*sigh*

#9 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

I don't really need to research anything about moves & such... it's the idea factor. I mean, what kind of engine would you wanna see implemented in this game? I was previously gonna work with a fan-game before starting this venture, but too many of those are being done these days.

I mean, the point is, that.. I want IDEAS. I want SUGGESTIONS. I don't want any one sentenced B.S. with no real point to them. I want you folks to be able to say that YOU helped build the game itself, in general. So, please... gimme your most DETAILED thoughts & ideas.

#10 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

I think it's a good idea (for all video games) to have some sort of totally crazy hook that REALLY makes the game stand out. Like Pirate Wrestling or Space Wrestling or Samurai Wrestling or Alligator Wrestling (all characters are alligators), you know something really crazy. Then base your add-ons on what that is. Pirate Wrestling could have a booty meter, Space wrestling could have asteroids, blah blah blah. At the very least, they could just be people dressing up as pirates or alligators, if not actual pirates or alligators.

Hope that gets you a little bit unblocked

#11 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

THAT... does not even make sense. Seriously people.. I am, for some oddball reason.. having these crazy a** writers blocks, or whatever ya wanna call them & all in all.. I want you folks to actually have a game where you're satisfied with what's there & YOUR opinions matter.. but I don't want anything STUPID, like what I just read about the gun & the bullet.

*sigh*

Your quite kind thank you :P i was just trying to help. could at least say "thats not what im looking for sorry"

Edited by goreforcexgames, 17 May 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#12 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2336 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

custom wrestlers, and create a wrestler if possible.

#13 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

Anyways aside from my stupid idea i have a question: Will this game be featuring real wrestlers or are you making up your own superstars?

#14 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

Well, that's a good question. I mean, I honestly at this point & time do not know for sure yet if this game will feature real wrestlers or not. I have however done some slight surfing & so forth through the program.. but I do wanna construct something small, just so then when I do start on this large project.. I won't blank or get stuck on anything, ya know. lol

But, that IS a very good question & one that may not have a straight answer for a LONG time, though. But, keep comments, suggestions, etc. like this coming! Thx.

#15 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

You should consider in ways that makes your game different from others. Is it the myriad of finishing moves? Is it the gore? Is it the weapons that could be used?

Anyways, create your own engine from scratch. The end result is much better and you become more experienced in doing so as well.

#16 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

I intend on doing something similar to the FirePro series. But, it's the idea of WHAT folks would want to see in which I could have some idea of what to specifically go with. The engine will probably be something that not many past engines in wrestling games have had. Homebrew Wrestling has an innovative engine but it still seems as if it was taken from an earlier mold.. i.e. WCW Vs. The World! The moveset is nothing I am worried about at this point, but it was good to point out that subject. Keep those suggestions comin'!

#17 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:30 AM

something that I've always wanted to see executed well is a "Grapple" system in a fighting game. I've studied both striking techniques and grappling techniques in real life, and most fighting games do a good job at emulating striking, but I often shout at my TV "Come on! I could get outta that grab!" or "No way could you grab someone from that..." It just kills the verisilimitude of the fight.

But all the same, I dunno how to do it well. I know the fun in real life is feeling your opponent's balance and sneaking out of their grab while working on a grab of your own (or punching them, but I hear that's generally against wrestling rules). The trick would be to transmit that feeling through buttons and displays. Perhaps you could have it so that you must first grab the opponent with a specific grab technique and then from there input some sort of specific lock or take down, while your opponent tries to execute the right reversal to get out of it. Still, some sort of indication of what your opponent is doing has to exist, otherwise it's just rock paper scissors with more muscle.

I dunno if anyone can really transmit the feeling of wrestling into a computer, but if you think you can it would be a great angle.

#18 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

That sounds pretty cool, however, in this kind of wrestling.. punching & kicking is allowed. It's the sh*t you watch on TV & so forth.. that's what I do & that's the kind of game I am working on putting together. I have other ideas for games but plan on not pulling off fan-games, as there are WAAAAAYYY too many of those out there, these days. But, the concept of that kind of grapple system sounds like it'd be a cool thing.. but I will think on that concept. Anymore suggestions, ideas, etc.?

Edited by Phil Roberts, 19 May 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#19 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:56 AM

??? I guess you've all expressed your opinions then, eh?

#20 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

the game design forum isn't the most active, gotta give it time...

so it's Pro-Wrestling huh? I was thinking it might be more Greco-Roman or Judo/Sumo style where the contestants have very strict rules about not hurting your opponent too much. But if it's Pro...That changes a lot! You can basically do anything.

One of the things that I recall being a strong point of Pro Wrestling is the people, the characters, the drama. Watching the Rock or Hulk Hogan beating the crap out of whoever it is they're after is only half the fun, the other half is just watching them promise to beat the crap out of whoever it is. Costumes, Alliances, Audience Chants, Catch Phrases, it's all those things that make Pro Wrestling worth watching.

Another fun point of Pro Wrestling can be how they do things that are blatantly against the rules like having the Tag Team mate beat them up from the side, or punch out the ref or grab a chair or plank or other improvised weapon and so forth.

If you want some help coming up with specific wrestler characters, I could chip in. The Knight? Fire Sides? Great White? dunno what exactly you'd be looking for

#21 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Well, I am a freestyle wrestler. But I don't know if you want to create something like 'RAW' or Smack Down, or an actual Classic/Freestyle Wrestling game. Which one is it? But whatever it is you should add suplexes.

Edited by dmitko, 20 May 2008 - 02:04 PM.

#22 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2689 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Well, I am a freestyle wrestler. But I don't know if you want to create something like 'RAW' or Smack Down, or an actual Classic/Freestyle Wrestling game. Which one is it? But whatever it is you should add supleses.

please excuse my ignorance of wrestling terminology but what is a suplese?

#23 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Oops. sorry. I miswrote it. It is 'suplex'. It is when you grad your opponent from the back throw him back. It is very cool. You could see one here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Flq6xmzBde4

#24 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

I take it that nobody here has ever actually sat down & watched pro wrestling on TV or has actually followed it, ever? *sigh* Well, I think I have enugh suggestions & so forth to put something together at least.. but the sad news is that production may not start for a long while, as I prolly am gonna start on something else on the side.. something small not large.. just so I can prepare myself for the long haul of this "big" project.

#25 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Did I get it wrong? I suppose I haven't really watched Pro Wrestling for years, that's just what I remember of it. I've been watching PiLi instead lately.

#26 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

Well, as I stated.. I think I have enough suggestions to now come up with some interesting modes, controls, etc. I just recently finally got to play around with Game Maker & it's a bit challenging as there is so much to do in putting a game together with this program. I was just working with some of the sample sprites & so forth, just to have an idea, thus still am trying to get used to the new atmosphere of this well=groomed program. Again, note that I have only used NOTEPAD to create small games.. a great large amount of them were rip offs of Pong & Pac-Man.. but were very sh*tty 1D-2D graphcis. so yeah.. I can see that before I go & work on this "wrestling game".. I am gonna still mess around with this Game Maker program & get used to it's features.. but also IF anyone has any more suggestions or so on.. lemme know by replying & so forth.

Thx.

*UPDATE* "I just messed around with the program a bit & it didnt even take me but maybe 5 minutes to realize that I am used to the functions of everything & he** so much had been fixed, added on, etc. since 2.5: I am very impressed."

Edited by Phil Roberts, 20 May 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#27 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

alright cool, you can PM if you want some help with programming melee combat oriented routines since that's sorta my specialty and I want to see more melee combat games on the GMC and YoYo myself. (Replies might be a bit slow though) The Beat 'em Up engine has some simple stuff that might relate to your Wrestling project (like hit boxes and attack timelines). I dunno how well you've got things under control yet.

#28 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

Well, I appreciate your offer in showing me a sample scripting for a "Beat Em' Up" engine.. but I am looking to create my own engine for this game. Granted, at this point.. the project is looking to be a go, but it's gonna be a very LONG process. I think I have everything under control with this program because it looks to be a tad simple yet it does require alot of concentration & programming knowledge, in which I am not a pro at the programming & so forth, BUT.. I do have a bit of experience in that field.

I am still accepting suggestions for any more options & so forth, for this game, as they might very well be used & some may be rejected. I believe I did also state about working with another small project on the side, so that may also have alot to do with the production time upon this game, as well.

In short, thank you for the advice & keep your thoughts comin'.

#29 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:48 AM

Alright, for the record, I won't require you to put me in your credits or pay me royalties if you want to use my engine, but I realize that there's also pride issues involved, so I won't try to force it on you. Just feel free to look if something seems to stump you later.

So I guess you'll have Tag Team and One on One matches right? what other styles are there? Cage Matches? Would a ring out mode work?

#30 Phil Roberts

Phil Roberts

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:13 AM

One on One & Tag Team matches are usually available in alot of wrestling games, so I see no reason why they wouldnt be. Other styles, I have not fully thought about at all.. I right now am trying to put together what the wrestling game is gonna be mainly based off of, as it will NOT be based off of TNA, WWE, WCW, ECW, or any real-time fed. Although, that may change overtime & the keyword is MAY, considering that I get the legal stuff out of the way beforehand.. but at this point, I am basically making small notes of things that will need to be done before production can thoroughly begin.

I am gonna also be working with another project on the side, but it won't be as big, say.. alot smaller than what the wrestling game is gonna be & also this small side project will be playable via the YoYo website, when it is completed. The wrestling game will NOT be playable via the website, as it is gonna be a commercial item.

But, if anyone else has any sugfestions regarding said information above or ideas.. reply & lemme hear em'.

Edited by Phil Roberts, 21 May 2008 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users