2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 825 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

"EXECUTION"

Posted Image

"Execution" is a short experimental game. It takes only a few minutes to play.
Controls are self-explanatory, runs at full screen only.

:P Download (2 MB)

Please note: Do not read the rest of this topic if you don't want the game to be spoiled for you.

Edited by 2Dcube, 20 May 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#2 supakody

supakody

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

due to playing many violent games over my years on this planet...i have lost at this game. have i become numb to remorse? i loaded it again to realize that i lost permanently. well dammit...

#3 Benaroth

Benaroth

GMC Member

• 375 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:03 AM

Can you win? How long must you wait?

EDIT: LOL don't mind me, I found out...

Edited by Benaroth, 11 May 2008 - 09:16 AM.

#4 arylic

arylic

GMC Member

• 795 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

Its 1.3 mb actually just edit it.

Well the game was short but really has a good point of view, i highly concern the game play was a bit not normal but hey its all about fun right ?.

Dude how many games are you gonna flood us with your games keep coming out like gold from a gold mine try sharing the ruby with us.

Ratings:

9/10 (considering the short game play)

:P Arylic

#5 Nobody

Nobody

GMC Member

• 335 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

Nice one, sort of predictable though. :P Seven minutes style.

Also: I shot his leg and he died. -_- Didn't want to kill him. SNIF SNIF

#6 Khelder

Khelder

GMC Member

• 2018 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

Am I right in thinking this was an experiment in storing data in the registry? If so, where! I've searched everywhere, so unless you gave it an obscure name I can't find it... (I got bored, shot him, and want to reset :P)

#7 ShadowSaber

ShadowSaber

GMC Member

• 202 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

Is there anyway I can win? I looked around, but there was nothing to do but shoot him. SHould I have pressed ESC or something?

#8 Overman

Overman

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Ugh games aren't meant for moralizing, they're meant for killing people.

#9 Aryogaton

Aryogaton

GMC Member

• 292 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

What happens when you win?

Edited by Aryogaton, 11 May 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Hartless

Hartless

GMC Member

• 403 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

Um, this is veary confusing, you cant win, you just shoot the dude, or exit the game.. sorry 2d but this isnt that good..

#11 jusoyuno

jusoyuno

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

yeah

what are you getting at?

#12 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 825 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Nice one, sort of predictable though. :P Seven minutes style.

Also: I shot his leg and he died. -_- Didn't want to kill him. SNIF SNIF

I'm sorry... ):
Predictable, sure. But you didn't win (;

Um, this is veary confusing, you cant win, you just shoot the dude, or exit the game.. sorry 2d but this isnt that good..

You can win though. But for you it's too late.

yeah

what are you getting at?

I don't know. Do you?

#13 Hambone4097

Hambone4097

GMC Member

• 266 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm almst certain that he's trying to show us that we're all ******s for shooting the guy without reason and that killing anything, even a video game character is heartless and cruel. Although, If I'm right, karoshi kinda goes against the message of this game.

#14 Hartless

Hartless

GMC Member

• 403 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

i think 2d has lost his marbles XD
just kidding,i deleted the file then redownloaded, i think i won..

#15 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

Challenging, and effective game. Fun and predictable. If the game was posted on YoYoGames i would give it 5*!

~ You make me laugh, 2Dcube - you're comments put them in an awkward position!

Edited by tomo95, 11 May 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#16 Hartless

Hartless

GMC Member

• 403 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

AWSOME I BEAT IT! ha ha ha, i see the point now :P

#17 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Well, that was indeed interesting. I think a better scenario would've been where the person to be executed was replaced with something like a small child sleeping outside of a house, and if you kill him, his mother runs outside and starts crying over him. Now THAT would make me depressed.

#18 Hartless

Hartless

GMC Member

• 403 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

Not to be rude or disrespectful to you necromain, but who would kill a child, i dont think 2dcube would be able to pull himself to program that :P also why would a child sleep outside of his house? (then again why would there be a dude tied up to a post outside in the middle of the day.)

#19 arylic

arylic

GMC Member

• 795 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

I shot the guy and he died and then a message came up, you loose. Then i pressed esc and played it again but when the game started the guy was still dead. I think thats the reason about it he's trying to save the game data from a pre-played game and then load it to a new game.

:wacko: Arylic

#20 Overman

Overman

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

Well it's really easy to get around what he's doing... after killing him I was able to win. Not worth the effort though.

#21 Mr. Limbojello

Mr. Limbojello

Skater

• GMC Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

He's using a highscore table to see whether you lost or not. Smart idea IMO. But anyways, I lost.

#22 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

Not to be rude or disrespectful to you necromain, but who would kill a child, i dont think 2dcube would be able to pull himself to program that :wacko: also why would a child sleep outside of his house? (then again why would there be a dude tied up to a post outside in the middle of the day.)

I'm thinking it'd make sense with what I think 2d was trying to accomplish in this game. People have to live with the decisions that they make - forever. Plus, I think it would be a bit more devastating to the player if you realize that you just killed an innocent child for no apparent reason and seeing the reaction of his mother. At least, more devastating than killing some random guy tied to a pole.
Oh, and the child doesn't have to be sleeping, he could be running around playing or something.

#23 Freelancer Studios

Freelancer Studios

GMC Member

• 462 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

I like it. All that can be said.

FLS

PS: It took me about 10 seconds to beat, perhaps we think alike? *smirk*

Edited by Freelancer Studios, 12 May 2008 - 01:35 AM.

#24 Lukearentz

Lukearentz

My Two Cents

• 2587 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

Well it's really easy to get around what he's doing... after killing him I was able to win. Not worth the effort though.

Well aren't you smart?. So... does it matter that you did that?
Nice concept... I shot him :wacko:

#25 St. Patrick

St. Patrick

The Man

• GMC Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:59 AM

I won
it was interesting

I would've simply shot him out of boredom if I hadn't read the thread, I think it's a fascinating look into "game psychology" or whatever you want to call it. I'd love to see what comes of this

consider me a supporter 2d
St. P

#26 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

I "spoiled" my experience. Still, seems the answer wasn't in here. At least, I wasn't looking for it. I was just wondering if some scary image was gonna pop up if I shot him. I though it was gonna come to be a "classic 2d prank".

Way too easy though. Seems I'm a good person and won. Should I go back and shoot him for the fun of it now?

#27 Lukearentz

Lukearentz

My Two Cents

• 2587 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

He's using a highscore table to see whether you lost or not. Smart idea IMO. But anyways, I lost.

How would you know that? Are you admitting to decompilation?
Is there are way to reset the game? Apart from destroying my computer with a hammer?

Edit: I know how to reset it, but that defeats the purpose of the game

Edited by Lukearentz, 12 May 2008 - 06:14 AM.

#28 vibemaster

vibemaster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

vibemaster's review

an interesting idea, but it's far too simplified to have any sort of artistic significance. everyone knows that sparing a person is preferable to killing them, and labeling the outcomes either "win" or "lose" is heavy-handed and clumsy. there are some really good mechanics at work though that only a game could offer.

first, the player is not told how to spare the victim. most players will assume that their options to finish the game are either to shoot the victim or to wait until a message tells them they made the right choice. they will not consider pressing esc, because that is the button to exit. the player does not want to exit; he wants to win and be rewarded for winning and be told he made the right decision. in this way a slick dynamic is at play: patience vs. justice. ("should i wait until i win? this is taking a while. maybe i should shoot him and get it over with? but look at his pathetic eyes! i can't shoot a man like that! but this is taking so long!", etc.)

next, the visuals are very effective at getting the player to recognize the victim's piteous situation. the player can see only his eyes. the player can see only through a gun's vision. the player is vertically higher than the poor victim, a common trick in cinematography to suggest power.

the thing about not being able to change your decision is a nice addition.

i personally tried pointing the gun in the corner for a few minutes with the hope that the victim will be able to escape if i'm not keeping close enough watch. when i returned the aimer to him i was disappointed to see him still there tied to a stick. the game wouldn't let me passively wait for something to happen. i had to make a decision.

it's important for games like this to be made for the advancement of games as an art form. however, works of art are significant because they offer unique glimpses at humanity and what it means to be human, something this game does not do. the execution of this game (sorry, no pun intended) is deep and interesting but it tells us nothing we don't already know. obviously we should spare the victim if we can!

VERDICT: i was thinking about the game's mechanics when i should have been thinking about the game's message, solely because its message was so thin. it fails to suggest the complexities of good or bad or any shades of gray. the game is a step in the right direction but until game mechanics are used to explore meaningful aspects of human nature in ways that only videogames can, no progress will be made.

#29 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

I WON!
:wacko:

#30 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

A great idea...

I used to think it would be interesting if you could buy little game devices at stores (very cheap) that if you lost the game it would stop working. This is the closest I've seen to that idea.

I lost. But I realize now how to do it, and it sort of seems almost like something you would find on accident.

Cool, though.

I would love to see something like this turned into a more lengthy, full game. Maybe not so much that if you made the wrong decision you can't play, but something that tracks your decisions so you can't go back and do things differently.

Edited by thebogeyman, 12 May 2008 - 07:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users