• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#251 Kracker_Kid

Kracker_Kid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

so the way to win this game is to leave the guy there? he's tied up! if you leave him there he's gonna starve to death. the "right" thing to do is put him out of his misery, not make him suffer. THAT is why i shot him. theres no button that lets you run up to him and untie him, so i HAD to shoot.
Posted Image

9% Complete

#252 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hmm well that post had some substance, so you're getting better. You were still mostly factually incorrect though. Comparing Execution to a roguelike is valid since they both have permadeath, but permadeath is effective in roguelikes and ineffective in Execution. And saying that video game reviews need to be objective? Lol, you obviously haven't read many video game reviews.

You were right that I don't like 2dcube's games, though. They are, without exception, complete trash.

Well, there's a difference between getting one try and Roguelike permadeath. If you die in a Roguelike you can always make another Chaotic Evil Monk named Asdf and dive right back in. And this game has no way to build up your character, progress through levels or anything of that nature so it's not really a good comparison. You don't really lose anything in this game.

It IS a good comparison, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Didn't you read my review? Posted Image The whole point is that Execution has zero substance, even compared to games made in the 1980s. Ugh, kids these days...

The object of Execution is not to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor. And Rogue wasn't just some old game made in the 1980s. It's been called by many expert sources, one of the greatest computer games of all time so your comparison is just *SLIGHTLY* lofty.

You could argue with that logic that one of the most popular games in the world right now also has little if any substance compared to Rogue. The entire goal of the game is to knock pigs over with birds using a slingshot.

But it makes about as much sense as comparing cheese to a lion.

Execution isn't supposed to be a game with incredible depth, a massive world to explore and character progression. It's supposed to make you stop and think. Whether or not you think it achieves that is certainly fair game for debate but lets not go comparing cheese to lions.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 02 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#253 Charmeleon

Charmeleon

GMC Member

• GMC:Member
  • 84 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Execution isn't supposed to be a game with incredible depth, a massive world to explore and character progression. It's supposed to make you stop and think.

Except it doesn't do that because the game consists of a badly-drawn sprite, some text and nothing else. I'm not comparing "cheese to lions", I'm comparing a game to a game while you clutch at straws. It's like saying I can't criticize the game for having no substance because it has no substance. ****ing stupid.
I'm a man who crawled out of hell. It'll take more than this to kill me.

#254 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Execution isn't supposed to be a game with incredible depth, a massive world to explore and character progression. It's supposed to make you stop and think.

Except it doesn't do that because the game consists of a badly-drawn sprite, some text and nothing else. I'm not comparing "cheese to lions", I'm comparing a game to a game while you clutch at straws. It's like saying I can't criticize the game for having no substance because it has no substance. ****ing stupid.

I didn't say "It MAKES YOU stop and think." I said it's "supposed to" or at least that's obviously the author's intent.

If you don't like it, great. But if you're going to compare this game to Rogue or Nethack then you might as well also do a review of Duke Nukem Forever and compare it to Mario Galaxy.

Or to put it another way, "Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!"

#255 Bytewin

Bytewin

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

This game is pure genius.
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon. - Napoleon Boneparte

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Posted Image

#256 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Knowing this was a 2dcube game, I expected nothing going into it. Of course, that is exactly what I got. 2dcube's "Execution" is a vapid creation that questions the morality of games - and fails miserably. Was the player really supposed to feel sorry for the poorly-drawn tied-up man, who we know nothing about?

Posted Image
Oh look, a blob.

And then, to make you feel the "consequences" of your actions, you are not allowed to replay the game. As if you cared. After all, the game is over in 2 seconds because there is literally zero substance to it. Of course, this concept has been around since the days of roguelikes with their permadeath, with the major difference being that if you died in a roguelike, you cared. Roguelikes were hard, and you would spend days working on a character and be devastated when he died. But no one cares about the blob in Execution, because after you shoot him or not there is only a message that says "You Lose" or "You Win". Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Posted Image
Picture above, a game with substance.

This game seems to have been made in a day or less, and if 2dcube's name was not attached to it, no one would care.

0/5 - Another 2dcube game in the trashbin.

This has been the fourth review in the "Charmeleon's Awesum Reviews" series!

Oh Great, just looks like an IGN's review.
Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#257 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I don't know why the GMC is fine with tarnishing its image by letting Charmeleon continue his trolling.

#258 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24674 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

I don't know why the GMC is fine with tarnishing its image by letting Charmeleon continue his trolling.

I am happier with the fact that his review had substance and actually explained why he didn't like the game than I am with your comment above. He is entitled to his opinion and if he has a specific taste in games and chooses to dislike (or post saying so) then that is his choice. Instead of accusing him of trolling, why not respond and try and get a reasoned discussion going OR walk away and say nothing?

And Charmeleon, just as you are entitled to your opinion, so are the rest entitled to theirs. So, please, refrain from the bad language and try to keep the discussions civil.

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#259 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

I am happier with the fact that his review had substance and actually explained why he didn't like the game than I am with your comment above. He is entitled to his opinion and if he has a specific taste in games and chooses to dislike (or post saying so) then that is his choice. Instead of accusing him of trolling, why not respond and try and get a reasoned discussion going OR walk away and say nothing?

And Charmeleon, just as you are entitled to your opinion, so are the rest entitled to theirs. So, please, refrain from the bad language and try to keep the discussions civil.

Get a reasonable discussion going with that troll? What are you thinking? And since when is trolling excusable just because one sugarcoats it with a review that has substance? Trolling is trolling, and in just about any respectable forum I frequent, trolling is not tolerated regardless. It seems to me that you strongly defend this kind of forum behavior just because it simultaneously "contributes" to the thread, despite disrupting it. If you read many of the threads Charmeleon posted in, you'd see that others tried reasoning with him. All he did was respond in the same thick-headed manner. Previous threads show that people did not appreciate his "opinions"; one person actually stopped updating his thread here on GMC about his project because of Charmeleon (he now posts development about his game elsewhere).

His review didn't have substance; it's a total bias-fest with unnecessary excess of cleverness and rude remarks. HE CAN HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT A GAME OR GAME GENRE. HE CAN DISLIKE WHATEVER HE FEELS HE SHOULD. THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN BE A TOTAL JERK ABOUT IT. Why do you want people to simply walk away from disruptive posters and say nothing? Don't they have a right to complain about disruptive posting just as much as users like Charmeleon is allowed to troll?

Also, did you even bother to read his review or what others had to say about his review? One user compared it to an IGN review. Do you think that's a good thing? Others complained about its bias. Please tell me your standards for a good review or a review with substance. My idea of a good review is a non-biased, constructive, respective review that has merit. Anybody with decent comprehension skills would know that Charmeleon's reviews lack any of these.

Did you look at his posting history? If so, please elaborate the "substance" in these:

Nice, I'd rather play Call of Duty tho

Still not convinced? How about this:

Boring.

This has been the seventeenth review in the Charmeleon's Awesum Reviews series!

I see a one word review, while the lower sentence is a link, a shameless plug to his blog. If that link contains a longer review of the game at hand (which it doesn't), why not paste it in as a post? It's not even a signature, either. Those are evidently links placed specifically in his review bashfest posts in context with said bashfests.

Other interesting artefacts in his post history include accusing others (NOT just me) of being alt accounts or developers of games he bashes just because they don't agree with him. Do you understand that, Nocturne? Remember the reasoning you falsely put in my warning? He's accused others of it, too. You're mad at me for accusing him of trolling, yet you have no trouble in believing his false claims.
I honestly don't understand why you're turning a blind eye to forum behavior that is, on most other occasions, intolerable.

Edited by emjeeman, 12 May 2012 - 02:47 AM.

#260 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Get a reasonable discussion going with that troll? What are you thinking? And since when is trolling excusable just because one sugarcoats it with a review that has substance? Trolling is trolling, and in just about any respectable forum I frequent, trolling is not tolerated regardless. It seems to me that you strongly defend this kind of forum behavior just because it simultaneously "contributes" to the thread, despite disrupting it. If you read many of the threads Charmeleon posted in, you'd see that others tried reasoning with him. All he did was respond in the same thick-headed manner. Previous threads show that people did not appreciate his "opinions"; one person actually stopped updating his thread here on GMC about his project because of Charmeleon (he now posts development about his game elsewhere).

His review didn't have substance; it's a total bias-fest with unnecessary excess of cleverness and rude remarks. HE CAN HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT A GAME OR GAME GENRE. HE CAN DISLIKE WHATEVER HE FEELS HE SHOULD. THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN BE A TOTAL JERK ABOUT IT. Why do you want people to simply walk away from disruptive posters and say nothing? Don't they have a right to complain about disruptive posting just as much as users like Charmeleon is allowed to troll?

Also, did you even bother to read his review or what others had to say about his review? One user compared it to an IGN review. Do you think that's a good thing? Others complained about its bias. Please tell me your standards for a good review or a review with substance. My idea of a good review is a non-biased, constructive, respective review that has merit. Anybody with decent comprehension skills would know that Charmeleon's reviews lack any of these.

Did you look at his posting history? If so, please elaborate the "substance" in these:

Nice, I'd rather play Call of Duty tho

Still not convinced? How about this:

Boring.

This has been the seventeenth review in the Charmeleon's Awesum Reviews series!

I see a one word review, while the lower sentence is a link, a shameless plug to his blog. If that link contains a longer review of the game at hand (which it doesn't), why not paste it in as a post? It's not even a signature, either. Those are evidently links placed specifically in his review bashfest posts in context with said bashfests.

Other interesting artefacts in his post history include accusing others (NOT just me) of being alt accounts or developers of games he bashes just because they don't agree with him. Do you understand that, Nocturne? Remember the reasoning you falsely put in my warning? He's accused others of it, too. You're mad at me for accusing him of trolling, yet you have no trouble in believing his false claims.
I honestly don't understand why you're turning a blind eye to forum behavior that is, on most other occasions, intolerable.

Good or not, that review is just like IGN's review (see their review on games published by KOEI, like Dynasty Warrior 6 and Dynasty Warrior Gundam 3).
Anyway, just like my old comment, I'm impressed with this game, Execution is something I can't easily forget.

#261 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

People know IGN reviews are not a good thing.
IGN has garnered a bad rep due to their "reviews".

#262 FamousJellyfish

FamousJellyfish

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

I love the absurd ignorance in Emjeeman's posts. Charmeleon wasn't trolling when he spoke lowly of this game. I'm sorry, if you think his opinions of this "game" are low, you'd be in for a shock if you bothered to read the rest of this topic. I consider Execution to be experimental garbage.

Listen, some of us come to the GMC Creations subforum to... you know, play games. Execution has no "play". To re-iterate, here are some of its worst flaws.

1. It has enough quality to seem like it was made in an hour, but 2dCube's popularity got it over 200 replies. The audiovisual quality is non-existent. It brought down other games which were genuine and had effort put into them.

2. It tries to explore the concept of permanent death, even though games such as Roguelikes have been doing this for over three decades. The result is that Execution feels "late to the party", as if it has no new message. The true art games are ones that showcase this medium's real point : playability. Without any gameplay or fun, Execution is just a joke. The few people who found it to be an interesting artistic message are those who did not understand the point of Roguelikes.

3. Writes to the registry, as if a notepad file or something similar was too un-artistic or boring for the indulgent developer 2dCube. A permanent reminder that you've played this pathetic excuse for a "Strategy" creation.

Other people in this thread and the parody Extermination thread have described it as "meaningless", "pretentious", "saddening". I think those are understatements. I literally find this game to be offensive. You're lucky that it didn't spawn more clones than just Extermination. Do you know what would have happened? A repeat of Stop at 500... they would all get locked. It's really sad when I can say that even Stop at 500 had more "game" than Execution. It had a goal, a purpose, an actual gameplay objective. Execution falls short of having anything like that. It's not a game. It's a waste of space, both on this forum, and on everyone's hard drive and registry.

I don't care that you're whining about some other member. Charmeleon doesn't come here anymore, and he's only posted once this month. You bumped an untouched topic after 2 months to complain about a pretty good review. A lot of people mirrored his criticisms, but you'll only know that when you decide to read more than the last page. FYI, I've seen all of Charmeleon's reviews. Some are pretty positive, and others are silly (like when he's talking about getting fanmail constantly). I don't think he was a troll.

If you want to discuss Execution, then do so. You can start by countering my points above. And no, calling me a "troll" or whatever will not devalue what I've said.
I'm FamousJellyfish.

#263 emjeeman

emjeeman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

Oh, look! Another troll!

Please, famousjellyfish, take your hatred garbage elsewhere. You're not welcome in this thread and your presence in general is not welcome. There's the exit door over there, don't let it close on you on your way out. Please go ruin someone else's thread and other people's lives.

#264 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

FamousJellyfish, You're right, I think this game concept is awesome because I've never played those roguelikes before :P
Anyway, I think Killing that guy is the point of this game. Since this game title is Execution.

#265 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24674 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

Emjeeman, the only Troll I see in this thread is you. You have a massive chip on your shoulder and should deal with it rather than go around shouting "TROLL" at everone who happens to say a game is bad. I'll let you into a little secret... NOT ALL GAMES ARE GOOD.

Now, this may come as a surprise to you as it seems you can't see the bad in anything, but it's true... And since we are sharing confidences, I'll let you in on another little secret... IT'S ALRIGHT TO SAY THEY ARE BAD. It's called "having an opinion" and it's a perfectly reasonable thing to have.

So, what happens when you think a game is bad and you want to voice that opinion? Well, you go on a PUBLIC forum where giving your opinion is QUITE ALL RIGHT and you tell people what you thought. There! No big deal!

Now, why don't you show some respect to these people and let them voice their opinions without calling them trolls? You can even say you think they are wrong as that, too, is a perfectly valid opinion and the basis for a good discussion (for an example of how this should be done right, please see the post by FamousJellyFish, above, who eloquently argues his points).

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#266 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2259 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Oh, look! Another troll!

Please, famousjellyfish, take your hatred garbage elsewhere. You're not welcome in this thread and your presence in general is not welcome. There's the exit door over there, don't let it close on you on your way out. Please go ruin someone else's thread and other people's lives.

Oh, look! Another troll!

Please, emjeeman, take your hatred garbage elsewhere. You're not welcome in this thread and your presence in general is not welcome. There's the exit door over there, don't let it close on you on your way out. Please go ruin someone else's thread and other people's lives.

:3
In all seriousness, I have to agree with Charmeleon and FamousJellyfish(you too, Nocturne <3). Execution, if you step back and look at it, really doesn't have any of the elements of a normal "game". But I don't need to elaborate any further than Jellyfish has in his post above.

-orange

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#267 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

In fact, the only game better than this is Maggot in Fraying Pan.

#268 FamousJellyfish

FamousJellyfish

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Oh, look! Another troll!

Alas and alack, I am scuttled... you've found me out! All along, I thought my true behavior was appropriately disguised as that of someone who just wanted to post on a community forum. But now you realize my villainous bridge-dwelling motives! Is this the end of FamousJellyfish...? :dry:

Hey, you want to talk about trolls? I can sing that song too. :whistle:

Here are some highlights from what I call the "Emjeeman Chronicles" :

Spoiler

Truly, you are a shining example of GMC membership quality. I doubt that myself or Charmeleon can compare! Oh ho ho, wait...

Spoiler

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect here. :sweat:

Please, famousjellyfish, take your hatred garbage elsewhere. You're not welcome in this thread and your presence in general is not welcome.

I'm afraid you don't have the authority to make that determination, on both counts. First of all, you don't know what I hate. You made the same assumption when you talked about Nocturne being "mad at you" earlier. You are not a mind reader. It's a bit presumptuous for you to believe that you can tell me what I'm thinking or how I feel about something. Also, I simply can't agree that I'm unwelcome. Maybe if you could back up that claim... :rolleyes:

FamousJellyfish, You're right, I think this game concept is awesome because I've never played those roguelikes before :P
Anyway, I think Killing that guy is the point of this game. Since this game title is Execution.

Well, yeah. If you take one part of my statement without responding to the rest of it, the response is bound to look silly.

Also, I don't think you understand. Point in this context refers to an essential idea or goal. Don't get the word point confused with the objective in the program itself, i.e. to exit and win or to shoot the man.

Execution does not have a point. 2dCube stated in this topic that it was made because he got an idea for a game that you can only play once, where a "game over" is permanent. ( http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=2687772 , http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=2688971 )

That was the entire reasoning behind Charmeleon's review, and a major part of my earlier post. The concept of permadeath has already existed and been done properly. 2dCube's idea to slightly twist it into being unable to play the game itself twice, is not original or meaningful. The mechanical idea itself also loses all potential value when coupled with such an empty game as Execution. It becomes contrived and a waste of time.

Since 2dCube also stated that shooting the man is not winning, you're wrong to assume that the point is to shoot the man. ( http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=2686846 )

Execution suffers from having no purpose. I am torn between whether or not to call it a game, since it is so devoid of actual play value. Even if I thought it held value as an artistic piece (which I don't, since it was clearly made in one hour), I don't think it's qualified to be respected as an actual game. That is why I said it offends me. It gained 200 posts when 2dCube was popular on these forums, and other topics suffered from its constant bumping. I believe Emjeeman would call that... "disruptive posting".

There's the exit door over there, don't let it close on you on your way out. Please go ruin someone else's thread and other people's lives.

OK, see ya. :thumbsup:
I'm FamousJellyfish.

#269 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sorry, if my words sounds confusing, English isn't my primary language, point.. and objective that's confusing...
Thanks for explaining, FamousJellyfish.

#270 Charmeleon

Charmeleon

GMC Member

• GMC:Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'll let you into a little secret... NOT ALL GAMES ARE GOOD.

looks like Nocturne has been brushing up on his GMC history. :snitch: http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3592411
I'm a man who crawled out of hell. It'll take more than this to kill me.

#271 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

FamousJellyfish, I'm disappointed in you. A reference to Stop at 500 but not Drink Tea or Die? Really? Come on.
I give your post a 2/5.

(lol)

Anywho FJf is obviously not a troll, and I don't think Charmeleon is one either, although I don't really agree with him on many of his opinions on games here.

Edited by makerofthegames, 16 May 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#272 GMLTechie

GMLTechie

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Ha cool, I read all the replies before actually playing and was like how do i win hmm... Then none of the posts told me how so i loaded up the game looked through that scope and saw that man...

Spoiler

#273 human_aft3r_all

human_aft3r_all

GMC Member

• 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

The message is there, but I really wish it was more ambiguous and not so heavy handed. I mean, obviously I will win if I don't kill him. But wouldn't it be interesting if it was an ethics problem, like he is a haneous war criminal and if I don't kill him, he will kill more people? or at least if there wasn't simply immediate validation of a simple decision. It wouldn't have taken much for it to be a lot more poignant with marginally more interface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users