Execution

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#91 xBETAx

xBETAx

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

a huge part as to why this has a lot of views and replies is because kotaku did a short on it http://kotaku.com/39...t-your-reflexes

but enough about that. I am here to tell you why I registered here at the forum 5 minutes ago. While I have came to my own conclusion by reading the other posts. I believe the only way to win is to kill said guy. Sure, fine whatever. But what I do not like is the fact you have created malicious code and have essentially infected me with it. What gives YOU the right to put information on MY computer that I cannot easily get rid of. I purchased this piece of hardware, not you. You have no right stealing any of my hard drive space, I dont care how miniscule it is. Look at it this way. What do you think would happen if everyone started putting up ads of their business ontop of others signs? You try and encourage us to think before we act? Take your own advice. Give me a work around

#92 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2163 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

considering there is no context as to 'why am i killing this (man?)' im pretty sure there is no right or wrong,...

however being a strong believer in 'nobody deserves to die' i would say it is wrong ofcoarse,...but its an argument you will most likely soon have to overcome (if you havnt already (i didnt read many posts))

#93 Doogie_Forever

Doogie_Forever

Dog Warrior

• GMC Member
  • 824 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

a huge part as to why this has a lot of views and replies is because kotaku did a short on it http://kotaku.com/39...t-your-reflexes

but enough about that. I am here to tell you why I registered here at the forum 5 minutes ago. While I have came to my own conclusion by reading the other posts. I believe the only way to win is to kill said guy. Sure, fine whatever. But what I do not like is the fact you have created malicious code and have essentially infected me with it. What gives YOU the right to put information on MY computer that I cannot easily get rid of. I purchased this piece of hardware, not you. You have no right stealing any of my hard drive space, I dont care how miniscule it is. Look at it this way. What do you think would happen if everyone started putting up ads of their business ontop of others signs? You try and encourage us to think before we act? Take your own advice. Give me a work around

Umm maybe if you didnt want that miniscule piece of space being taken, maybe you shouldn't have played the game, the data is stored SOMEWHERE in the registry, go and search for it.

Or better yet, format your computer, solves all problems.

#94 Dokushin

Dokushin

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

I registered myself, just now.

Try this on. Programs executed on a computer are by necessity state-based, that is, their execution (no pun intended) depends on their environment. A program that did exactly the same thing every time you ran it would be useless. Therefore a program MUST store state data on the local machine. There is nothing 'malicious' about it -- and since the switchover to the registry began in 98 (95? can't remember now) it has become a customary place for programs to store small sets of state data, which this certainly qualifies as. You gave implicit permission to this program to store data concerning its execution on your computer when you ran it. End of story. The security of your environment is your responsibility, full stop, because only you can set policy for it.

About the game, I will now never lose the feeling I had when I reloaded the second time and found myself sighting a corpse. It hit me with a very real sense of guilt, just for a second, before it was replaced with the indignity of being outsmarted *grin*. That, and reading these comments, makes a strong argument against so-called video-game inspired violence; people -know- there is no consequence in a game, and as soon as consequence is evident, the 'real' morality kicks in.

That talk earlier leads me to suggest a new name: Execution. Not in the sense of slaughter, but in the sense of executing a sequence of events. Anyone with extensive experience with games will nine times out of ten follow the pattern of: check the easy solution that's probably wrong, reload, try and find the hard solution. Here that becomes, check the easy solution, it's wrong, reload and ... I just killed somebody.

For such minimalist presentation and zero context, suprisingly effective. The genius here is in putting it all together. Jolly good show.

#95 Cameron:D

Cameron:D

GMC Member

• 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

6 pages of replys.... This 'game' has caused some massive discussion, and some long posts for a game where you have 2 choices

What gives YOU the right to put information on MY computer that I cannot easily get rid of. I purchased this piece of hardware, not you. You have no right stealing any of my hard drive space, I dont care how miniscule it is.

a.) Have you played any other games that use high score lists? if so, then flame them for storing data in the registry too.
b.) The registry keys the GM makes for the high score lists total 1kb per game ID. The temporary internet files for you making that reply are greater than that. EDIT: The add reply page is 210kb.

Edited by Cameron:D, 21 May 2008 - 10:32 AM.

#96 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

I wasn't impressed; the moral issues are very shallow and unexplored.

#97 C-Ator9

C-Ator9

GMC Member

• 147 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

When I opened the game, I already suspected that the point was to let him live. So I shot him in the feet.
SINCE WHEN DOES SHOOTING THE FEET KILL YOU!?

#98 Somelauw

Somelauw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

In general I like shooters, but why does this shooter only have 1 enemy?
The point of shooters is too kill as many people as possible in a short time. Because killing people is fun!
Also for some reason it told me I lost. Did some enemy sneaked me up? Why didn't I hear him coming? And what happened with all enemies when I played it the second time?

-This post shouldn't be taken seriously.-

Edited by Somelauw, 21 May 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#99 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1057 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

When I opened the game, I already suspected that the point was to let him live. So I shot him in the feet.
SINCE WHEN DOES SHOOTING THE FEET KILL YOU!?

Aquiles' ankle.

By the way Somelauw, your post is awesome

#100 xBETAx

xBETAx

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

other games give you disclaimers about extra information being stored on your computer. this does not. I don't care if you guys take it as Running a stop sign when nobody is around.

#101 Dokushin

Dokushin

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

other games give you disclaimers about extra information being stored on your computer. this does not. I don't care if you guys take it as Running a stop sign when nobody is around.

No, they do not. It is YOUR responsibility to set disk quotas and access protocols concerning data storage on your computer. Most people do not because for the large part it is not a problem. If it offends you that there are a few extra dozen bytes of data in your registry it is your own fault for not implementing tighter controls on your registry. Most people choose to leave the registry open and clean it out later; that is usually less time-intensive. But nowhere -- nowhere -- is a program required to tell you it is writing to the registry, or, indeed, anywhere.

#102 GloryAndBen

GloryAndBen

Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

Such original ideas... Exactly what the world needs...

#103 C.Zorg

C.Zorg

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

I deleted the Scores folder from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Game Maker\ to reset the game just so I could shoot the guy again...

#104 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2163 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:42 AM

if people have a problem with this i strongly advise they dont voice it,...since it is obviously here to cause a ruckas

anyone who likes it should alert the creator to the points they liked and possibly make suggestions

and for the 'hey it edited my registry' people i really strongly advise that you grow up and think to yourself 'hey theres more to life then fretting about 1kb of data.

also to the person who said:

What gives YOU the right to put information on MY computer that I cannot easily get rid of. I purchased this piece of hardware, not you. You have no right stealing any of my hard drive space, I dont care how miniscule it is.

i would like to point out that the author said the file was 2mb and it really was 1.3mb so dont worry you saved some space (in a round about way)

#105 the_real_gumby

the_real_gumby

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

This made me feel really guilty. I shot the poor little guy. He bled and died. He probably had little starving children back at home who depended on him to provide food. Who knows what unfortunate circumstances led up to his being tied to that post.
... but then, he could have been a terrorist - that backdrop did look a little like it could have been somewhere in the middle east. But then, it's pretty much against the law (US military) to shoot a guy tied to a pole. I don't think we use firing squads, anyway.
So this game is a lose-lose situation for everyone except 2D Cube. I lost, the little man in the game lost and 2D Cube got a topic full of replies and debate.
I almost expected this game to be a screamer :)

anywayz, great lesson to learn here - if you shoot a guy tied to a pole, he won't come back to life so you can shoot him again.

cool... bye

-Gumby

#106 joshuarobillos

joshuarobillos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

OMG! u people are drama queens! u say OMG i accidentally shot him or i feel sorry! thats gebrish! I shot him and i was happy! its fun playing voilent games or there wont be any fun at all!

EDIT: whay if im forced to kill a creature... this message sais do the right thing. and i had a choice of killing this creature:

im forced to kill it but i want to do the rite thing. and in this game u gotta press esc and in real life there is no esc button so i haf to shoot it!

Edited by joshuarobillos, 22 May 2008 - 07:07 AM.

#107 C.Zorg

C.Zorg

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

[...] anywayz, great lesson to learn here - if you shoot a guy tied to a pole, he won't come back to life so you can shoot him again.

I did

#108 sithlord6

sithlord6

GMC Member

• 193 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Would be better if it wasn't put in the context of winning and losing, in my opinion.

#109 LimmingKenny

LimmingKenny

GMC Member

• 422 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

This game has nothing to do with trying to present moral values or anything of the sort. It was an experimental game of only being able to make 1 choice 1 time and this is the situation he chose. He is not trying to say anything about what is right or wrong.

#110 vibemaster

vibemaster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

but it tells you to "do the right thing".

#111 LimmingKenny

LimmingKenny

GMC Member

• 422 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

This game is not a statement against or for anything, neither did I have the intention to spread a message.

This is what I mean.

The reason I am saying this is because people are reviewing the game based on the morality factor rather than the mechanics factor. In my opinion, the issue of killing shouldn't be discussed, but rather the effect on the player when they realize they can't change what they have done. It could have just as easily been any other situation but he just chose this because it is something that most people would believe the right thing to do was to not kill him.

Edited by LimmingKenny, 23 May 2008 - 12:26 AM.

#112 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:20 AM

it is something that most people would believe the right thing to do was to not kill him.

Except for those people who put two and two together, and killed him because the game is titled Execution. That kinda implies that the guy should die, and I believe the right thing to do in that case is to kill him.

But anyways, I see the point, and it is a unique one, but 2DCube is pushing his luck...

#113 MrFalcon

MrFalcon

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

I came at this from Destructoid.com (yes, them too), so I already guessed that it was an arthouse affair. I lost fast but wasn't surprised. I thought it was a little trite until I loaded it up again. I was not expecting that and it really made everything else work. My mouth is agape at all the people who keep saying that the persistence is "a nice touch" or whatever. Like you say, its pretty much the whole damn point!

It did seem a bit oversimplistic that the result was labeled "win/lose". I don't think you can say that this game doesn't have a message when there is a definite value judgement attached to those two outcomes. I suppose "You lost" could be considered an ambiguous statement. For instance, it could simply refer to the loss of a human life, which is definitely what happens if you shoot the prisoner. On the other hand, if you say that winning doesn't carry a value judgement... well then, at the very least, you're making a pretty radical statement about the nature of winning! One could argue, as many have, that losing this particular life would qualify as a win for the rest of humanity.

In any event, I can't think of any other way that it could work. You kinda have to say something and just saying "He Lived!" or "He's Dead" just seems dumb. In any event you aren't doing anything that every other violent videogame maker does. I'm not sure why people insist on getting upset about it, especially since most of them have probably played games that will happily call them losers for trying to play as a pacifist!

Edited by MrFalcon, 27 May 2008 - 02:10 AM.

#114 blaketheawesomedude

blaketheawesomedude

GMC Member

• 295 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

shoot that guy for being tied to a post teach him to be on a post

#115 MMORPGguy

MMORPGguy

MMORPG guy

• GMC Member
  • 2208 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

I won!

XD

lol, this game is genius. commercial games should be more like this.

#116 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

This game is brilliant. My instinct was to shoot him, so I clicked on him. He died. I thought "was that it?". It said "You lose." I restarted the game, only to find that he was still dead.

What a great idea. 10/10

#117 Doogie_Forever

Doogie_Forever

Dog Warrior

• GMC Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

I think this has gotten waaay too many posts then it deserves.
It was a short experiment to see that you only have 1 chance to do something.

I think peoples should be commenting more on 2DCube's other great games, like PaperBlast or MubblyTower.

#118 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1640 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

I've seen a pretty similar experimental game few weeks ago in a game conference. You were a sniper looking at a house where you see a very long cinematic of shadows of a mom and his girl talking and when you decide to shoot you see newspaper about the murder you did.

Funny thing is I tought of translating this to gm few days ago but execution does it better than i would have anyways. I really like the fact that it saves the game to your registry so you cannot try again.

Nice "game".

#119 smudgypoo

smudgypoo

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Wow -
It's a powerful game. That probably obvious from the 6 pages of comments.

I have to wonder if it's an immoral game. I don't mean it's something some weird ass
ESRB would have trouble with. It's much more insidious (and interesting).
Think about the Milgram experiment. Volunteers were told they were taking part in a
study of using punishment to reinforce learning. They were asked to 'shock' a third person
(presented as a volunteer, but actually a confederate of the researcher) with increasing shocks.
Most people, cowed by the researcher's white lab coat and authoritative demeanor, complied.
At least one of the 'volunteers' was deeply troubled by being involved, even though at the
end of the experiment they were told that the 'shocks' were faked. Many people have condemned
the research as unethical.
From the posts, it's clear that a fair number of players find the game deeply disturbing. But then,
that's the function of art. To make us ask questions about ourselves. Are we the sort of people who
would participate in an execution unthinkingly?
And then there are other questions. Does having lost the game mean anything about real life?
After all, most people on this forum have undoubtedly played FPS games. Yet I doubt this forum is
full of maniacal spree killers. It's the distinction the ESRB doesn't get - that nobody ever died from
being blown away by a hell missile on level fourteen of Dungeons of Boomba. Nobody was killed during
the making of Saving Private Ryan. And the RAM in my laptop is just as alive or dead as it ever was after
playing the game (for the record, I got the idea immediately, shot all around but not AT the guy, trying to get it to exit, and finally tried the esc key). And the game makes us ask important questions. Would you participate in
an execution? A war?
I've been playing Call of Duty recently. I have some German friends. They have parents, some of whom
I've met, or at least talked to on the phone, and who were in the war. I sometimes wonder if the machine gunner I just shot had a wife and children. But, since he doesn't have any polygons on his backside, I suspect not. The dead
Germans in Saving Private Ryan are waiting tables in LA right now, not buried in Normandy. And I'm quite sure
most people playing Call of Duty would be have very different emotions if they were in a war.
I'm more disturbed by the people who are most interested in how the win/lose bit is being stored. I hope that
discussion is driven by a desire to undo the finality of the execution, and not by simply missing the point.

Thanks for the great game.

#120 CrayonBreaker

CrayonBreaker

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

I don't understand how you win :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users