• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rikrok

Rikrok

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Falling Troy

My entry for the ancient civilisations competition.

You control a Trojan soldier ordered to help prepare for war. By jumping off falling blocks you stack them to get high scores. The better you do the faster they come and the more frantic its gets. It's a puzzle game in a sense but unique because you control what happens by platforming.

Features:
  • Rendered 3d graphics for a beautiful look and smooth animation
  • Studio produced music and effects (producing music is my main thing)
  • Online high scores, room for the top 50 places, and as well as your name you can enter your country and its flag will be displayed next to you
  • Fully customisable controls for keyboard and gamepad. The defaults are the arrow keys, ctrl and space
I've felt slightly demoralised after 3 months of work seeing my game get pummeled with one star ratings, but I guess everyone in the competition has suffered this. It just seems stupid because the people who do it don't achieve anything other than create a bad atmosphere. Anyway, please have a play and let me know what you think.

http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/34319

http://www.runhouser...FallingTroy.zip

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(What you need to do to get seriously high scores)

#2 NickoTyn

NickoTyn

GMC Member

• 116 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

Why doesn't anybody comment on this game?

The game has beautiful graphics and animations which fit well with the ancient theme.
The music is cool and relaxing and fits with the gameplay.
The gameplay is quite unique and I have spent quite much time in trying to do as you show in the last screenshot, but I got really angry when a wrong brick on top.
And you should ask the player if he wants to submit his score if he is exiting game before he dies, because it didn't seemed that my score registered when I returned in the menu.

Nice game, you should try it.

#3 NAVgames

NAVgames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

Very nicely done. Graphics were excellent, sound fits in well, gameplay was highly addictive, and the idea in general is highly original. Good job, rated 6 stars

I review indie games for a gaming blog. If you have a game you would like me to review, send me a PM and I'll write you a review as soon as I can.

#4 Rikrok

Rikrok

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

Thanks! I've taken your suggestion NickoTyn and added an option in the pause menu to return & save the score. The only thing is it's now messed up the instant play (just for the time being I hope).

Also I should have a demo of Zero Point up by the end of today or tomorrow ^_^

#5 NickoTyn

NickoTyn

GMC Member

• 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Wow, thats awesome, can't wait to test it.
I hate too that bug on YYG about Instant Play.

Have you checked your "New Messages", because I sent you a PM. (and I forgot to say that the rig is complete too)

#6 Dafvy

Dafvy

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

At first i didnt know what was going on or what to do, but when i got it, it was very very good.

#7 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

Heres a review:

Graphics: 9.6/10
Sounds: 8/10
GamePlay: 9.4/10

Total Score: 9/10

Improvement Suggestions:
Just a Jumping Sprite

Comments:
The graphics are really good, I like this game because you have to match the material up for a added score. At first, the controls got confusing, but then i got used to it.
(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#8 Lucke189

Lucke189

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

Great game. Keep it up! ^_^

#9 deadwing

deadwing

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

Well done! The graphics are beautiful, everything fits nicely. It's a fun game. Great work.

#10 SirMixAlot

SirMixAlot

Punkster

• 216 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

The graphics and sound really set this game apart. I especially like the music and sound. The graphics are great too, just a bit too colourless in my opinion. Very white and gray :). But I really like how you made it look so good without lagging at all. The background temple flags flapping in the wind were a nice touch.

Personally I did like the gameplay but it was a little bit too awkward to be really fun. Jumping in the opposite direction makes it a little confusing and it's hard to time jumps and everything right. Though it is an interesting and unique concept.

Very polished game and I had fun playing it :P.

Edited by SirMixAlot, 07 May 2008 - 10:17 PM.

Keep up to date with Poppenkast. Visit their forum.

Keep up to date on my games. Visit my forum.

#11 sh@de

sh@de

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

Very well done - slick presentation and polished gameplay... this really feels like a professional game. My highscore was - uh, I forgot, but I'm third in the online highscores :-P

Then again that doesn't mean much 'cos most people don't submit their score... yeah...

Anyways, great game!

#12 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Really well polished graphics, very professional looking, overall great, and addicting game!
Gamemaker 7.0 PRO

#13 blobstah

blobstah

GMC Member

• 181 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

very, very good game. Here's a mini review:

Graphics: 9.5/10
Sounds: 9/10
GamePlay: 9.6/10