Photo

Atlantis Wars 1.02 (updated Jan 08 2009)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Atlantis Wars
1.02 (Updated January 8, 2009)

Screenshots

Landing
Posted Image

Combat
Posted Image

Some additional shots.
Air Support!!!!
Scenery in the nice mountains...

Download Link:

Download or play on Yoyo Games...

Fixes:
1.01: Fixed the game starting in the strange level with all the guns. That was a test level. So sorry about that.
Tank dying should no longer cause error messages.
Character's legs when crouching are now the correct sprite instead of some weird green camo.
Fixed AI controlled characters using the Shardgun never being able to reload when stuck holding down secondary fire.
Hopefully fixed the flying robots going through walls.
Changed some sound effects.
Some small tweaks in level 1.
Some cutscene tweaks so they play out correctly.
View shaking no longer puts view outside the level boundary.
Levels now fade to black when completed.
BTW Game never actually made it into the competition though, weird website glitches happened for Yoyogames.com. :D

The game is hard... So depend on your allies and take cover often.

Controls:

A: left
D: right
W: jump
S: crouch

E: use
Shift: Switch guns
Left click: fire
Right click: secondary fire, most weapons have an alternate firing mode

F10: Quit
F11: Restart game

Edited by Potnop, 09 January 2009 - 02:36 AM.

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his powerlevel?!? It's ovER 9000!!!!!
I ownt read da script, script reads me.

Link To The Super Crew Topic / Link To Colonial Commando Topic
Platform Pathfinding Example Download it here!
Editable Early Version Level Editor(Nice @$$ stuff, check it out) Download it here!

#2 Mr. Limbojello

Mr. Limbojello

Skater

• GMC Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

This is excellent, a bit hard but maybe I just suck. I noticed a glitch when entering the sewers; if you don't skip the little cutscene you keep walking until you fall off the edge and die. Everything about it was great though.

10/10

#3 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:34 AM

Maybe I'm stupid... but I can't get past the first room. :)

#4 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

Same deal here.

Edit: I exited, ended game, and started a new game, and now it seems like I'm actually playing it.

Edit: Comments:
-Cool game, there really aren't enough games like this made in GM.
-Props on making it pause when you press escape so you can go to the menu.
-You might want to extend the view more to the sides, as there are sometimes enemies shooting at you before you can see them (or program them so they don't do that, maybe compensate for it by making them faster). You could have the view move left or right based on which way the player is facing (as you're usually going right, you don't need to see what's to your left).

-I seem to be invincible? It looks like my life is always charging up really fast, so I never die.

Edited by THE KAPPTIN, 30 May 2008 - 03:37 AM.

I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#5 Mr. Limbojello

Mr. Limbojello

Skater

• GMC Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Same deal here.

Edit: I exited, ended game, and started a new game, and now it seems like I'm actually playing it.

Edit: Comments:
-Cool game, there really aren't enough games like this made in GM.
-Props on making it pause when you press escape so you can go to the menu.
-You might want to extend the view more to the sides, as there are sometimes enemies shooting at you before you can see them (or program them so they don't do that, maybe compensate for it by making them faster). You could have the view move left or right based on which way the player is facing (as you're usually going right, you don't need to see what's to your left).

-I seem to be invincible? It looks like my life is always charging up really fast, so I never die.

It only does that in the first level. Once you move on to the sewers it stops. I think it does that because it requires you to finish the first level.

#6 X-plosive

X-plosive

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Nice game, felt unique 9.5/10

#7 swoodplaya

swoodplaya

GMC Member

• 373 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Haha, I saw the "You shouldn't C this !" thing. I used the rocket launcher type gun to get up there. :)

Really really great game though. 9/10

:D

#8 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

It only does that in the first level. Once you move on to the sewers it stops. I think it does that because it requires you to finish the first level.

I was invincible in the sewers too as well as the tank level. You really shouldn't be invincible anywhere, I have to assume it's a bug. It totally kills the challenge, anyway. This game has some really weird bugs, the invincibility and the weird room that you start on where all the guns are just sitting on the floor and there is nothing to do. I guess they are probably debug things that the creator forgot to take out.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#9 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

This looks great! I love the graphical style, and the coding is great. Good luck in the competition!
Gamemaker 7.0 PRO

#10 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

How do you get past the first room?
I think Im' just an idiot...
:whistle:

#11 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

How do you get past the first room?
I think Im' just an idiot...
:)

Press esc, click end game, click play, then new game. :whistle:
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#12 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

LMAO this is now pretty much fixed....

I released it with a bunch of bugs on accident and there were glitches in the yoyogames website so it never got entered into the competition.

The first room was never even supposed to be there. It was a test room. It was a really stupid mistake of mine. And I also forgot to disable the invincibility from when i was testing the game.

Anyway I'm rereleasing the fixed version. I also took the time today to fix a lot of other bugs that I was wishing weren't there but didn't feel like fixing before. So the game should be more polished now...

Do you guys think I should submit this to the Save the World competition? I'll go for the gold once again, except this time it will actually be in the competition successfully.

Edited by Potnop, 24 December 2008 - 02:52 AM.

Editable Early Version Level Editor(Nice @$$ stuff, check it out) Download it here!

#13 Timmo

Timmo

GMC Member

• 558 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Aww, this is so sweet, i love he graphics, it's so smooth.
Keep it up :D

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

Awesome!
kinda hard though.. Might want to ease up on the difficulty.
I got to the tank part... health is really low now. 0_0

Great game!

-orange

I dont know why this isnt getting anymore attention...

Edited by orange08, 25 December 2008 - 05:03 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#15 Ninetailz

Ninetailz

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Really hard, but nice. Good graphics, gameplay's unique, but it felt kinda limited, I mean, only left and right, no flying or digging underground or something. Pretty cool game on its own, one of the best GM games out here. 9.2/10 Merry Christmas, too.

Posted Image

#16 Johnnsen

Johnnsen

Braaaains

• 418 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:36 AM

I really like the sounds in this one.
I can't hear "ZIP FILE PLZ" anymore. Install Winrar or 7zip, it can extract them all.

#17 Poris

Poris

GMC Member

• 533 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

That is one HELLUVA FUN GAME! Better than all those other Halo platform clones anyway. Great job. Fun game. Hard, but fun. Currently stuck on tank level (damn those non-healing tanks >:))
Posted Image
Play Scratch!
Home Page

Ever felt like programming a game in Java but couldn't do it? Perhaps my Game-Maker interface will help you! It surely helped me.
Coffee Maker - Perhaps the world's only Game Maker - Java connection.
Posted Image

#18 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

Love this game, I played the hell out of it when you first released it and was really disappointed that it didn't rank in the competition.

Can't wait to play through again and re-experience the awesomeness of this game, I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone who hasn't played yet.
Gamemaker 7.0 PRO

#19 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

I went into this game expecting more than what I obtained going out of it. The music was WAY TOO LOUD. The graphics aren't very good... The HUD on the top-right gets in your way too much, why can't I make the game full screen? I accidentally clicked out of it on accident while playing...

I liked the idea of numerous checkpoints and alternate fire options though, it was overall an 8/10 experience.

With some adjustments Potnop, you could really get this game into a competition and maybe make some money off of it... But not until these problems are addressed.
"I'M BAAAACK WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW?"

#20 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

Heh cool thanks... I knew U guys would like it...

Actually it can be made full screen. Go into settings and system. Enable full screen by clicking the box. The HUD seems to not be in the way as much in full screen either since you can see those pixels better.

I only had it be not full screen by default since the game is meant to run from instant play.

I'll maybe redesign the sound system to the latest in one of my other games and I'll have it so you can adjust sound and music volume.

Most people seem to like the graphics, sorry you don't. I was going for a slightly cartoonier style with this one since it took less time and I had limited time for the competition.

Also in the next version I'm planning on having repair stations for the tank level. I can actually get through that level very easily with like 2/3 of my health left, so I didn't know it was such a hard level for you guys, but many people complain about it.

Right now I'm also making Doom 2D, and it's a much more advanced engine. I started redesigning Atlantis Wars for it and I might make an even better version of this game. It'll have its own level editor and I won't have problems with it like I did with GM's room editor. Godd. The level design process in Game Maker is like the worst experience ever, especially where many tiles visible on screen slow GM down to a crawl and the lack of floodfill in the tiles layer. The tile slowdown is a problem even with a 3.06 Ghz processor.

Edited by Potnop, 28 December 2008 - 05:17 AM.

#21 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

You get past the tank level with 2/3 of your health?? *faints*
^_^

Well, Im looking forward to the tank stations for repairs. Lets see.. I'de say I have about 3/10 of my health on the most previous checkpoint.. Im stuck. I keep getting killed.
Well.. sure hope you make the update soon. :)

Edit: I BEAT THE GAME!!!! I decided to take advantage of the rocket on the tank.. I finished the game!!! Awesome.

-orange

Edited by orange08, 28 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#22 food_

food_

GMC Member

• 515 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

Great game, I love it all. Kind of repetitive though, you know, fight, recharge, slowly move forward expecting enemies then shoot your heavy weapon and run backwards shooting your light rapid fire weapon, win, then recover, then move forward, rinse, and repeat

You really need new music though. Almost all GM games have those annoying twangy sounding arcade music that you make with Finale2007 or something. Try searching the web for orchestrial music (Some good dramatic sounding stuff) It beefs the game up and makes it sound really daring. Take halo for example, they use a chorus-type-music alot. Sounds pretty sweet ey? And in big movies you don't often hear them playing stupid arcade music do ya ? ;) But this is just an idea.

Otherwise great game. 9.8/10 For those minor imperfections =]
cats

#23 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

LOL, K...

I kinda meant the game to have fun arcadey music at the time.

BTW I just updated the game to version 1.02. There is now a training level, and the tank health recharges. There are a few small fixes as well...

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Finally got round to finishing this. It's Very cool, Good work, Potnop!
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#25 gurilazs

gurilazs

GMC Member

• 385 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

That was impressive. Very good!
Instant File Upload: http://upload.shoutsomething.com

#26 Foxx of AK

Foxx of AK

GMC Member

• 445 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

A very fun game. I like the graphics, the weapons, and pretty much everything about it. Great job! :D 10/10

#27 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

Heh thanks...

Is the game a little clearer from the beginning for those who tried the tutorial?

A lot of people didn't seem to know you can switch guns and stuff...

#28 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'm surprised this didn't get at least in the runner ups..

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#29 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

Oh yeah it wasn't really in the competition though...

#30 Crispy

Crispy

Black Sun Empire

• GMC Member
  • 1252 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Just played. Okay I have a few points to make: The reload time is way to long, however I feel the guns overall were well balenced and each had there own unique attributes; that was pretty cool and made the gameplay more varied and effective.

The AI was well made and a good match for the player, I thought the enemys were well placed, and came in waves that faced a challenge; but could still be beaten. The game had a plot that could explain lots of killing therefore it is a big plus, however the game lacked any real key characters, but you could be going for the whole arcade thing in witch case I apologize.

The game did run quite slow on my computer and had to turn the effects off before it ran smothly, witch was a bummer since it probably added to the experience of the game.

The sprites were nice and fitted well with the game. I want to know wether all the turrainand ground was placed down by you or was made by the game on the fly? Im not quite sure what happened to all my buddys at the start of the first level, but they all ran away apart from one, dunno what that is about.

Anyway after playin this game for a good hour or so I have come to the conclusion this is probally one of the best platform shooters on the GMC and I enjoyed playing it.
5/5 :)
-Crispy

#31 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hmm yeah not sure about your buddies. They pursue enemies so maybe they did that and ended up dying which is very unlikely since one of them is invincible.

And yeah the good thing is that I allowed you to turn down the effects heh so you were able to run it on a slower computer. That was useful after all.

As for reload time, I wanted it to make you want to take cover and think twice whether to use the last 2 bullets in the clip or to just reload in the middle of a fight. I didn't want the reload time to just be like half a second like it is in some games. What's the point of reloading if it's that fast.

And I did in fact place all of the tiles which was a pain without floodfill. I'm making a level editor for my latest game Doom 2D which will make tile laying much less painful.

Edited by Potnop, 04 June 2009 - 11:57 PM.

#32 bigbob2

bigbob2

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

It is a good game but maybe make the graphics a little better and make it so the characters stand out more from the back ground also some of the graphics look blury.

#33 busydude

busydude

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

good game :P

#34 ynspyred

ynspyred

GMC Member

• 328 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

@Potnop: I've seen that link in your sig millions of times, but never actually got around to pressing the button.
Now I have, and my god, it's hands down the best platform shooter I have ever played! I love the graphics, sound, and music.
The immersiveness is impressive, it really keeps you wanting to play it to the end, and then play again, and again. I'm currently challenging myself to complete all three missions without dying (already done the first, second is going to take longer though!). I feel really sorry for you that it couldn't make it to the competition, because I think it certainly would have made it to third place. It's so well polished, I can't see any glitches or anything.
Only a few tiny quibbles:

Too short. It's so fun! I want to keep playing longer!
No space for a sequel, so this is the last that we'll see of this great game! </hint>
No secondary fire for the railgun, or whatever that red and grey gun is that shoots a patterny stream of orange particles. When I saw the first enemy with it,I thought "omg i wonder what the second fire is like on that bad boy", but was then rather disappointed. Same goes for the Warhead launcher. That should have fired three at once (the very thought makes me giggle)

I like the variance it has, like it starts really open and exposed, then you go into the sewers which become really tight and narrow especially towards the end, and you have to be really careful with stuff like the warhead launcher and shard gun alternate fire. The weapons are all great fun to use (personal favourite is Stinger rifle because it's green XD)

Score 9.5/10
but only because I don't call things 'perfect' as a matter of principle.
Making a deferred renderer DLL. Want to help or discuss? Email me at jamesmjdm@gmail.com (re: GM-DR)
Rig: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.2 | 2x2 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 | ATI Radeon HD 6670 (D3D11) 1GB GDDR3 | LG Flatron @ 1920x1080 | Large case stuffed with fans

#35 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have to tell you, great game.
but the music is a bit of, the game quality is to good for midi music... it really lets the game down! Use the jbfmod.dll or mp3 files instead (mp3's are big, yeah).
except from that, great game, a lot of shouts and stuff, pretty solid gameplay, nice graphics. really like your envoriment and backgrounds. a little movement friction wouldn't be bad, but since your using a slope engine...(which is very smooth) i didn't said anything.
It's pretty hard like the other folks already told you, but not too hard, well not for me anyway hehe. So it's good as it is, except for the music.

oh, and it's a pain huh? getting your game boycotted by all the 'mario fan' clone games and such like. it ain't fair, got the same problem my friend:P
8/10!
happy GMing!
-TobiasNL

Edited by Tobias(NL), 21 June 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#36 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

Heh thanks guys...

I might possibly make a remake of the game after finishing Doom 2D with the Doom 2D engine. I was working on a very limited time frame for the competition so I didn't have time to do all of the things I really wanted to do with it and was forced to cut a lot of corners especially with the story, number of missions, quality of the cutscenes, and the sky background in the city. Totally didn't have time to make the city background, so I took the level 1 background and zoomed in on a part with the city and blurred it here and there so it didn't look so pixelated.

If I make the remake it'll have better music, way more missions and actual cutscenes, voice acting possibly, bigger levels not the left to right arcade style ones that are in the game now, more weapons, better balance, better tiles so the grass doesn't look as weird heh, things like that...

At the same time people tend to enjoy the game so it's all good heh...

Edited by Potnop, 23 June 2009 - 02:39 AM.

#37 Merugop

Merugop

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Can't play it says corrupt

#38 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

Hmm I don't know. I had no problems playing it just now. Try downloading it or deleting the stuf in the yoyogames folder under my documents for atlantis wars. It might have downloaded it and corrupted something. Can't say for sure since IDK how the YYG plugin works if that's how you're trying to play it.

#39 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:32 AM

this game should really get more attention
this is ONE OF THE BEST GAMES ON GMC
now can u tell us how to get that signature

#40 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

This is quite a nice game. The game play is fun and difficult.

Perhaps a little more time could be spent making more levels, the game was too short and too easily beat.

#41 Kaleta

Kaleta

GMC Member

• 211 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

This is awesome game! It's flawlessly programmed, packed with action, nicely drawn, and so on. It's a bit diffcult, but it forces the player to use tactics, precise aiming and most of the weapons. The only visible flaw there is the fact, that it is too short, I could hardly notice other flaws, (like music) because I was busy shooting. And so it should be ;)

#42 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

I remember when this topic was created (not really that long ago)
I downloaded and played the game.

I found myself playing it again about a week ago.

Nice game!

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#43 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Hey Guys, I'm checking in years later.

I've come a long way with my skills in game development and programming in C++ as well as all the other useful things that come along with being a Computer Science major.

I made this game my freshman year in college 6 years ago and hope to get into some serious 3D game development soon now that I'm finishing my masters, or start doing some other kind of work while doing games in my free time for fun.

Also Bump. Play my game if this shows up on top again. It's pretty fun I guess.

#44 Toxigames

Toxigames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Download link is dead: http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/28739