• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

This DLL contains one function that returns the OEM product name of a joystick. This is an alternative to the built-in function joystick_name(id), which always returns "Microsoft PC-joystick driver". However, this DLL returns the name of the game controller as it is shown in the Windows Control Panel that can be recognized by the player. Using this DLL, you can help your player understand which game controller has id 1 and which one has id 2 by showing their names to the player.

Download here:
http://gamemaker.bli...joystickoemname

Edited by Blijbol, 10 August 2009 - 04:08 PM.

Blijbol OnScore 2 Extend your games with online highscore lists! New version!

Joystick OEM Name DLL Controller name as in Control Panel.
Registry Reader DLL Full read access to the Windows Registry.
Game Appearance Extension Control the game window and taskbar button in detail!
INI Data Structure Extension Much better than GM's INI functions.

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#2 MrJackSparrow2

MrJackSparrow2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 632 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:01 AM

Nice!

#3 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

A bug was discovered in this DLL: it failed to work on Windows Vista. Appearantly, this was due to a moved registry key on Vista. The DLL has now been fixed, if you already use it, you do not need to modify your game: you can just replace the DLL file. You can redownload it from the first post.

Edited by Blijbol, 06 June 2008 - 12:29 PM.

Blijbol OnScore 2 Extend your games with online highscore lists! New version!

Joystick OEM Name DLL Controller name as in Control Panel.
Registry Reader DLL Full read access to the Windows Registry.
Game Appearance Extension Control the game window and taskbar button in detail!
INI Data Structure Extension Much better than GM's INI functions.

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#4 HiroLord

HiroLord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks! I was looking for a DLL like this. If it works, I will use it!
always working on somethin' new...

#5 Gamer_X

Gamer_X

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:00 AM

Excellent ! Thanks. Can i use it in a commercial game for free ?

Edited by Gamer_X, 12 July 2010 - 01:43 PM.

#6 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 2026 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

Excellent ! Thanks. Can i use it in a commercial game for free ?

I have the same question. I read the license. It says for non-commercial it is free, but I didn't see anywhere about how to license it for commercial use. I'm sure I could code it myself, but since it is already done, I wanted to use it. I want to include it as a part of my kbinput extension, and of course, in the documentation I would give credit for this dll. But, since I have released my extension for any use, commercial or otherwise, this dll is not technically compatible license-wise.

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.