Caveman Craig (strategy)

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#31 Raithe

Raithe

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Lol one of these coolest games i've played very fun idea.. I loved it!... the only thing I wish you would have done is some kindof evolve system would have been neat what I mean is like hunters get new weps and stuff. rofl great game I played it for hours!

#32 swoodplaya

swoodplaya

GMC Member

• 373 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I downloaded this this morning, and just from about 15 mins of playing, I've gotta say this is a seriously great game.

I just can't wait to go home and try and get all those unlockables.

::lmao::

#33 coin3

coin3

GMC Member

• 304 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hey, I have a suggestion for a special class. Maybe after you have trained enough cavemen in each group you can get a teacher class. You would say what it would teach before it appeared though, and after you teach it the one groups things, instead of doing the job you taught it, it teaches the untrained cavemen of that group. The teaching would take longer than with you, but not much.

#34 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hey, I have a suggestion for a special class. Maybe after you have trained enough cavemen in each group you can get a teacher class. You would say what it would teach before it appeared though, and after you teach it the one groups things, instead of doing the job you taught it, it teaches the untrained cavemen of that group. The teaching would take longer than with you, but not much.

Then when you get that you will have nothing to do. The teachers take Craig's role in the game away.

#35 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Yeah alright but here are other things to do, Orc Leader...
like hunting and gathering and offcourse peparing (which I hate the most) xD
I really want the cheats ::lmao::

#36 Kyle_Solo

Kyle_Solo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1071 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Particularly, for growth, teaching some preparers and gatherers only some techniques will help distribute the preparing of carcasses and berries more, allowing you to get the most out of both food methods.

You can do that? I thought you needed to teach both methods before they could work. I knew that you could tell them to stop following you, but I thought that was so they wouldn't get in the way in a fight. In retrospect, I suppose it was mentioned in the tutorial, but I didn't catch it.

My take:
I think it was unbalanced. Every time I had more than 8 cavemen I was swamped with attacks. If there were breaks to recover between attacks I could manage, but it was a never-ending flood of rivals and raptors and triceratops (oh my!)

Suggestions:
I think it would be awesome if you only had attacks at night or when it rains. That would add a whole new aspect of strategy to the game. You could even expand on the day/night system and make cavemen sleep at night, or tell stories around the fire...

I think it would be great if you could form a hunting party and go to a different land (like a forest, tall grass, mountains, or desert) to find food. You'd need to plan it well so you don't stay out too late or get caught in a storm...

Have a cave-painting minigame!

It would be nice if the predators couldn't come in the cave, making it more of a safe zone. That seems more realistic (why else would you bother living in a cave?) The rivals, however, would have no such restrictions... To keep that balanced, make it so you can't pick up rocks in the cave and have predators who can't get in leave after a while.

Issuing orders to hunters (Retreat to the cave! Attack that! Follow me! Stay here!) would be nice. That way I could keep a hunter or two in the cave, defending the preparers.

#37 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Rhys ?
When are you releasing the cheats tongue.gif I really want them wink1.gif

I'll put them up if I get a place in the competition! Gotta love black mail. Nah - I'll put the cheats up after the competition ends.

All your suggestions are very useful, in case we decide to work on a sequel or something. The teachers class was a good idea that we considered long ago but felt it would be nice to just keep Craig as the teacher and have a few unlockables that helped Craig teach (like the target). Ideas like evolution, stages of strategy (hunting periods of the day, attacking periods of the day, etc), with the cavemen speaking around the fire and so on... the whole RPG element of going to other lands to attack other caves, etc... is all great but too big for an already completed game. The updates I am making aren't going to be such a size. But I will keep all your suggestions in mind.

Just so you guys know, version 1.3 will be out soon. It includes some increases in performsnace as well as a sort-of ending for the game (though more like a large unlock, after which you can continue playing). Other than that, there are just a stack of bug fixes and small tweaks. Stay tuned, it will be up as soon as YoYo comes fully back online (or in a day or so).

Regards
Rhys Andrews

#38 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Just so you guys know, version 1.3 will be out soon. It includes some increases in performsnace as well as a sort-of ending for the game (though more like a large unlock, after which you can continue playing). Other than that, there are just a stack of bug fixes and small tweaks. Stay tuned, it will be up as soon as YoYo comes fully back online (or in a day or so).

I look forward to it!
Oh by the way Rhys I was wondering whether you could tell me (or point me in the direction of a tutorial that could do the same) how you did the speech boxes for the Tutorial Guy. I thought it was a great feature and was hoping to use something similar to it for my game; unfortunately I have no clue about how to begin coding it.. :skull:
I know how protective some people are over their coding but any help would be great.

Edited by masterofhisowndomain, 24 April 2008 - 06:24 PM.

#39 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

Really awesome game! Is his made in such a short time? It looks very big and complete, and very polished too. Very original idea, and neat graphics. I think you have a good chance in the competition. Bravo on creating this masterpiece of GM technology :skull:

One thing. How can I escape if Caveman Craig himself is caught by a predator? I can't remember the tutorial telling me and I couldn't do anything but wait until my life bar went from 100% to 0%.

#40 peterrab

peterrab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1212 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, the RPG stuff would be good if you make Caveman Craig 2 or something.

#41 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:03 AM

Really awesome game! Is his made in such a short time? It looks very big and complete, and very polished too. Very original idea, and neat graphics. I think you have a good chance in the competition. Bravo on creating this masterpiece of GM technology :skull:

One thing. How can I escape if Caveman Craig himself is caught by a predator? I can't remember the tutorial telling me and I couldn't do anything but wait until my life bar went from 100% to 0%.

Press SPACE BAR

#42 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

I love this game.

Caveman Craig - Game StatisticsTotal Time Elapsed: 00 : 32 : 04
Total Cavemen: 18
Total Hunters: 9
Total Gatherers: 6
Total Preparers: 3
Total Deaths: 33
Total Kills: 177

Edited by Pie Person!, 25 April 2008 - 02:55 AM.

#43 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:48 AM

Oh by the way Rhys I was wondering whether you could tell me (or point me in the direction of a tutorial that could do the same) how you did the speech boxes for the Tutorial Guy. I thought it was a great feature and was hoping to use something similar to it for my game; unfortunately I have no clue about how to begin coding it.. tongue.gif
I know how protective some people are over their coding but any help would be great.

For the type-writing effect? You need the variable that has the whole message, and a variable that has the index of the message that the box is up to.. So for instance:

message="How are you?"
msgat="4"
Means the box will display "How ". Then just increase the msgat variable to make it 'type'. There are a few cool tricks like checking if the character at the msgat index is a SPACE or say the end of a sentence (.,?,!) and then making the pause between adding to msgat longer, and so on.

Really awesome game! Is his made in such a short time?

Yes, just under 30 days. My brother and I didn't really think about entering until then.

Regards
Rhys Andrews

Edited by RhysAndrews, 25 April 2008 - 03:59 AM.

#44 :MT:

:MT:

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:33 AM

Wow! For 30 days work it is great!

#45 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

Indeed I am impressed that you got the game this far in only 30 days. The gameplay is fun and the graphics and sounds are pretty good. It gets a bit dull and repetetive after awhile though.
And it's rather unbalanced - as others have said you're going about your business teaching a new cave man how to throw rocks when BAM ten evil cave men and five raptors come out of nowhere and disintregate your entire little tribe.
I'll give it 7/10 - main con being that it doesn't last long and the uneven difficulty.

I found two bugs in the game: One is that a corpse was un-pickable and never went away - think someone else had this bug too.
The other is that one of my hunters got bitten by a velociraptor. After I threw rocks at it and killed it the guy was still hanging suspended in the air screaming. This was rather annoying since (other than losing a hunter for no reason) he was screaming all the time I couldn't know when someone was screaming for real.

#46 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hi everybody!
Thanks to your great and consistent support, we've now updated the game to VERSION 1.3.

This attends many issues, all of which you can see on the topic's post, under CHANGES. Some of the major issues include:
- Split up the tutorial more logically and in smaller chunks.
- Rival Cavemen can now be eaten by Raptors and Head-butted by Triceratops'
- Added a very special unlock / bonus that signifies the ending of the game - however, you can continue playing afterwards.
- Added a "TAP SPACE" image that flashes above Craig's head when you're being eaten.
- Implemented death sounds for raptors and triceratops' that differentiate from their 'signature' sound
- Improved performance and decreased game size with better texture management (thanks Pim!)
- T-rex's can (and will) now eat Rival Cavemen.
- Tweaked triggers of difficulty

Regards
Rhys Andrews

#47 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Downloading =)

Previous save files aren't compatible =(

Edited by pedrosorio, 25 April 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#48 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

this game is awesome, especially the ai.

#49 dark_dude

dark_dude

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

You should add a sound for when the rival tribe attacks. Something like a war cry. That would be really neat. :)

EDIT: i gotta get me one of those T-shirts :skull:

Edited by dark_dude, 25 April 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#50 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

The Rival team, killed my 1st preparer!

#51 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

RhysAndrews, hypothetical here, but uhh. . . say that I figured out how to open the cheat menu would you tell me the cheats?

Hypothetically of course. *Whistles*

Edited by Orc Leader, 25 April 2008 - 02:16 PM.

#52 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yes, I would. But considering this is hypothetical, I'm going to assume you didn't figure it out. :)

-Rhys

#53 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hypothetically saying this wasn't hypothetical what are the cheat codes?

#54 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

For the type-writing effect? You need the variable that has the whole message, and a variable that has the index of the message that the box is up to.. So for instance:

message="How are you?"
msgat="4"
Means the box will display "How ". Then just increase the msgat variable to make it 'type'. There are a few cool tricks like checking if the character at the msgat index is a SPACE or say the end of a sentence (.,?,!) and then making the pause between adding to msgat longer, and so on.

Thank you so much. :)
I'd have never found that out. I'll get round to playing version 1.3 as I'm keen to see the updates/revisions.

#55 LoS

LoS

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

I easily survived 2 hours, untill a T-Rex, a VERY VERY VERY!! big tribe (About 40-50 enemy tribes-men), about 3 of thoose blue dinos, and a heck of thoose raptors came. my army of 45 hunters got killed as if they were ants...

also, thoose stupid tribe-guys killed all of my prepare's :)

But a really great game, so good, that i hacked our teachers user on the school network, just to install this ^^

5/5 and deserves to win!

#56 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

also, thoose stupid tribe-guys killed all of my prepare's :)

After 350 kills you get a statue that really helps keep those guys out, but won't work all the time.

-E-D-I-T-

Removed by request

Edited by Orc Leader, 25 April 2008 - 06:02 PM.

#57 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

After 350 kills you get a statue that really helps keep those guys out, but won't work all the time.

It does in 1.3. Rival cavemen can't get through at all.

-Rhys

#58 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

It does in 1.3. Rival cavemen can't get through at all.

-Rhys

Did you also fix the glitch with the repeating sound? Where when a rival caveman's rock hits the statue it keeps playing a sound over.

#59 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2001 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Did you also fix the glitch with the repeating sound? Where when a rival caveman's rock hits the statue it keeps playing a sound over.

Eh, no, but I should've. I've known about that bug for ages.

-Rhys

#60 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Removed by request

Edited by Orc Leader, 25 April 2008 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users