TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

Posted Image
Check us out on the web here.

World in War

The screens don't do the game justice, so view them at full size! Thanks!
Posted Image
Charge! USBC now use different weapons! The Rocket Launcher in action! [New]

Posted Image
The brand new Menu! The USBC and RF AI's fight on random terrain! [New]

We won't gloat on all the detail that is there so far, but check it out for yourself! We have just started really cracking down, but we have worked on this for a long time as it is, and thought it would be nice to show the GMC what Skyfire is up to. We hope you enjoy World in War, but remember, we have barely begun, and we have a ton of content to add!! Only the USBC's army is equipped with anything of any kind, but this is just a demo and a engine test really, so trust us, there is much, much more to come! Enjoy! Read the update list!

Sokota, And the Rest of Team Skyfire

Oh, and if you do happen to notice any small details, let us know that you appreciate them! Some of them were hard to make! :)

Download Current Version: World in War v.04!
Download World in War Demo v.04a.zip

Download History
v.01=50
v.02=152
v.03=226
v.04=15
v.04a=525
-------------------
Total=968 Downloads!

Updates for Version v0.04a!
Due to lots of glitches, we have updated v.04 to v.04a, slaying all the glitches and adding a few more tweaks to gameplay. ;)

Updates for Version v0.04!
-------------------
  • ADDED RAGDOLLS! THEY ARE MADE FROM SCRATCH PEOPLE!
  • ADDED MENU! THE PRETTIEST MENU ON THE GMC!
  • RANDOM TERRAIN MENU FIGHTS! RESTART TO SEE IT!
  • ADDED BIKE SHOOTING! SWITCH TO THE PISTOL TO SHOOT ENEMIES ON THE GO!
  • Feeling inspired? Read the famous war quotes at the bottom of the menu!
  • Added firing limits to the Lynx so it's not a tank!
  • Added two new sniper rifles!
  • Added helicopter pad!
  • Added a few more background objects and some barricades.
  • Added RF Sergeants!
  • Added better prone system! They now lay on slopes!
  • Tweak missile explosions.
  • Ladder system upgraded! Your biggest weapon will be on your back as you climb!
  • Added Rocket Launcher!
  • And the usual glitch/bug fixes, which are being slayed all the time! =]
  • Tweaked many things!
  • Enjoy!

Other Info
------------------
  • Oh yes, When Ingame press "C" when an ally is near the jeep (We assume your driving), and he will get in and man the turret!
  • There is a cheat in the game! When viewing the sign, type a name that World in War is associated with (The word ends in "e", as a hint) to get a surprise!

Edited by Sokota, 21 June 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Watch the new Stasis Gamemodes - Riot Trailer!

#2 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

First post!

I've been looking around for this since I saw the thing in your signature a while back and I must say, its off to a great start. Heres my review:

Gameplay = 8/10
"Good job for a first version. Needs somthing more combat wise. Maybe grenades, the ability to duck behind cover, the pop up and shoot, etc. Really liked the different vehicles and how they controlled though they need to have some way of attacking the enemy. The AI is a little too 'Walk up and shoot' kinda thing. There needs to be more variaty in that."

Graphics = 8/10
"Very nice, fitting graphics. Player sprites were good, as well as all the vehicles. The helocopter's engine flame needs a bit of work though, as it just appears and then dissapears. Floor tiles, buildings, and guns were also well done."

Sound = 6/10
"Not much to say in terms of sound. There was just a bullet sound and maybe one or two others."

Music = 0/10
"Needs some good action or suspence music."

Overall = 7/10
"Very good for a first demo. Looking forward to future versions!"

EDIT: Do you really live in Alaska? Me too!

Seth

Edited by Seth52, 07 April 2008 - 05:28 AM.

Posted Image
[ Like us! -Posted Image : Posted Image- Follow us! ]

#3 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:56 AM

Nicely done.

Review:

Gameplay = 5/10
As of now it's boring, I'd give it a 2 actually, but since it's a demo, it gets a 5. ^_^ The AI was pretty bad, since they always aimed perfectly at you, even when they were facing the opposite direction, and they always ran to the edges of the maps for some reason, where they got stuck. The weapons were pretty cool, but it was hard to know what they were since they're so small and I don't really know what they are if I found them in real life. :) I think that the vehicles were a nice touch, especially the helicopter. The particle effect you used (if that's what you did use) was used very well, I think you should allow the helicopter to land on the roofs of buildings, the motorbike was a bit disappointing, since I was hoping to do a triple backflip. :lol: But the physics were good. The jeep was great, was it made out of 2 objects or 1 object?

Graphics = 6/10
The graphics are good, the weapons were hard to tell apart though since they were so small and the colours were all the same. ;) The colours on the people were pretty basic, but they were put together well and they all matched. Vehicle sprites were well made, especially the helicopter, but the flame thing needs a lot of work, I suggest using particles. The buildings were pretty good, the little ones you could climb up on (using the ladder) weren't very good (maybe you should add some dithering? It looks like it's meant to be round...), the big building was pretty awesome, but I didn't know I could jump on the windows until I tried. :P Terrain was basic, thats all really.

Sound = 3/10
Well, I only heard 1 sound, but it sounded pretty good, so you get a 3. Not much else to say here...

Music = 0/10
What Seth said. :P

Overall = 6.5/10
Good job, waiting for more! And those features sound cool. ;)

~ Angus

Is... not very active here. (I use Uber-Angus@live.com.au for e-mails and MSN though)

#4 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:02 AM

First post!

I've been looking around for this since I saw the thing in your signature a while back and I must say, its off to a great start. Heres my review:

Gameplay = 8/10
"Good job for a first version. Needs somthing more combat wise. Maybe grenades, the ability to duck behind cover, the pop up and shoot, etc. Really liked the different vehicles and how they controlled though they need to have some way of attacking the enemy. The AI is a little too 'Walk up and shoot' kinda thing. There needs to be more variaty in that."

Graphics = 8/10
"Very nice, fitting graphics. Player sprites were good, as well as all the vehicles. The helocopter's engine flame needs a bit of work though, as it just appears and then dissapears. Floor tiles, buildings, and guns were also well done."

Sound = 6/10
"Not much to say in terms of sound. There was just a bullet sound and maybe one or two others."

Music = 0/10
"Needs some good action or suspence music."

Overall = 7/10
"Very good for a first demo. Looking forward to future versions!"

EDIT: Do you really live in Alaska? Me too!

Seth

Wow, glad you've been waiting for it! Thanks for the review! Yeah, we've haven't done too much with the AI. But your right, grenades and other stuff is coming. Trust me :P. Ok, the flame has been mentioned, we shall work on that. Thanks, those sprites may look easy, but they weren't, and took me some work! And about sounds, this is early in the development of World in War, so sounds aren't a huge issue, but we will definately need some good ones. Thanks, and we hope to keep players like yourself happy! Oh yeah, I sent you a PM, but you already responded ^_^.

Nicely done.

Review:

Gameplay = 5/10
As of now it's boring, I'd give it a 2 actually, but since it's a demo, it gets a 5. ^_^ The AI was pretty bad, since they always aimed perfectly at you, even when they were facing the opposite direction, and they always ran to the edges of the maps for some reason, where they got stuck. The weapons were pretty cool, but it was hard to know what they were since they're so small and I don't really know what they are if I found them in real life. :P I think that the vehicles were a nice touch, especially the helicopter. The particle effect you used (if that's what you did use) was used very well, I think you should allow the helicopter to land on the roofs of buildings, the motorbike was a bit disappointing, since I was hoping to do a triple backflip. :lol: But the physics were good. The jeep was great, was it made out of 2 objects or 1 object?

Graphics = 6/10
The graphics are good, the weapons were hard to tell apart though since they were so small and the colours were all the same. :D The colours on the people were pretty basic, but they were put together well and they all matched. Vehicle sprites were well made, especially the helicopter, but the flame thing needs a lot of work, I suggest using particles. The buildings were pretty good, the little ones you could climb up on (using the ladder) weren't very good (maybe you should add some dithering? It looks like it's meant to be round...), the big building was pretty awesome, but I didn't know I could jump on the windows until I tried. :P Terrain was basic, thats all really.

Sound = 3/10
Well, I only heard 1 sound, but it sounded pretty good, so you get a 3. Not much else to say here...

Music = 0/10
What Seth said. :P

Overall = 6.5/10
Good job, waiting for more! And those features sound cool. ;)

~ Angus

Thanks for the hearty review! Im glad you liked it, for the most part. As of mentioned, we will work on the helichopper's exhaust..Actually we might add to it! Thanks for noticing the airstream, that took a bit of work to perfect. As for the round buildings: They were meant to be round. They are oil storage tanks in the desert. Yeah, we're leaving alot of unmentioned stuff out, to let players notice things for themselves (like jumping on the window ledges). About the weapons, well, firstly, this is going to be a more vehicle oriented game online, so the weapons and guys are smaller, so I'm sorry that you can't tell what they are. A hint, the long ones are snipers! But I'm glad you liked, and much more is on the way, we might try to do a weekly updating system. Not sure. Any others wanna give it a review? Thanks so much!

Sokota

Posted Image
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Watch the new Stasis Gamemodes - Riot Trailer!

#5 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:31 AM

Some suggestions:
  • Allow the helicopter to land on things other than the ground.
  • Use dithering on the rounded buildings (dithering is used mainly for round things)
  • Dirt particles when you land or speed up on the motorbike.
  • Clouds?
  • Dirt particles when a bullet collides with the ground, and perhaps sparks when it hits a vehicle? (Still does damage)
  • Customizable controls :D
  • Tutorial (of course :P)
~ Angus

Is... not very active here. (I use Uber-Angus@live.com.au for e-mails and MSN though)

#6 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

Looks nice, i'll download soon.

Edited by hotshotscott, 08 April 2008 - 04:39 AM.

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image

#7 c_raethke

c_raethke

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 2010 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:53 AM

Gameplay = 5/10
As of now it's boring, I'd give it a 2 actually, but since it's a demo, it gets a 5. :lol: The AI was pretty bad, since they always aimed perfectly at you, even when they were facing the opposite direction, and they always ran to the edges of the maps for some reason, where they got stuck. The weapons were pretty cool, but it was hard to know what they were since they're so small and I don't really know what they are if I found them in real life. :P I think that the vehicles were a nice touch, especially the helicopter. The particle effect you used (if that's what you did use) was used very well, I think you should allow the helicopter to land on the roofs of buildings, the motorbike was a bit disappointing, since I was hoping to do a triple backflip. :D But the physics were good. The jeep was great, was it made out of 2 objects or 1 object?

Ouch... lol. Yeah, I'm constantly working on improving the AI. I just realized they ran to the edge of the map yesterday, I'll work on that.
Actually, I had to program that helichopper effect from scratch, with just a 1x3 white sprite. Hmm... I forgot why I couldn't use particles, but there was a reason for it lol. I will make the chopper be able to land on the building too, I never got around to it.
And also, there is a problem with the motorbike that makes it so it can't flip over... I'm trying to fix that. The jeep and motorbike are made out of 2 objects, one for both wheels, one for the main body. But I have implemented those exact physics into the sandbag (which doesn't appear in this demo ^_^) and the helichopper, in one object, but I took them out of the helichopper for now because it wasn't reacting to the slopes right if you were flying.

A dirtbike? Where else in a platform shooter?

In Halo Revolution, that's where ^_^ SHH! Noone say this in my topic!

Scotty

Hey, would you mind giving me some hints on the vehicle physics? I sent you a PM a long time ago and never got a reply.

Edited by c_raethke, 15 August 2009 - 09:18 PM.

Stasis server: Offline
On a scale of 3 to 9, how awesome is this game:
sig.png
IndieDB | World In War | Stasis [UPDATE 1/7/12]

#8 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:24 AM

Hey, would you mind giving me some hints on the vehicle physics? I sent you a PM a long time ago and never got a reply.

I am downloading the game now, and then i'll play. I will give you some hints on the physics, but im not telling you how i do it. I probably didn't reply to your PM because every week i have about 4 PM's asking about the physics. And im not telling everyone, sorry.

I'll edit or reply later, after i've played.

EDIT
:P I loved it. Honestly, it was great! The small, yet awesome graphics, and there's nothing wrong with your programming! I don't think i need to give you any hints with the vehicle physics, because you seem to have it working great. However i do have one thing to say. Your heliciopter is awesome, i love the way it tilts, im actualling using those physics for my hornet in Halo Revolution (when we add it). But one thing, make it face right when the mouse is to the right of it, and left for when the mouse is to the left of it. That way, you can fly backwards while shooting right, and vice versa. It's enoying having to fly back, then turn around before you can kill something. Other then that, great work! I especially love the use of particle effects from the wings! It might be little, but it's awesome!

I was also surprised when i tried to climb the ladder, and i could! I really didn't think i was going to be able to, but then i did :D

The Allie AI needs to follow you when you're on the dirt bike, and you should add shooting over the steering wheel 2. You should think about allowing the allies to hop in with you (in the helicopter, and jeep).

But I know, this is only a demo. Im going to watch this game, as it has great potential. Some suggestions:
* Make particle effects for moving on the sand.
* Allow the helicopter to land on buildings
* Allow AI to hop in vehicles with you
* AI needs to follow you when you're on the dirt bike

More levels!

Good Luck, and i hope you don't give up on this! It has heaps of potential!

Scotty

Edited by hotshotscott, 08 April 2008 - 02:35 AM.

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image

#9 c_raethke

c_raethke

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 2010 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:22 AM

Thank you! It's impossible to tell how other people will like a game when I code it lol. Hmm... I'm working on the helichopper landing on buildings right now, so that should be done soon... The AI does hop in vehicles, and it used to on its own, but Sokota told me you should have to hit C for them to get in. So hit C when you are next to them and they should.
The AI also follows the dirt bike now. I missed a line of code. So it should be in the next demo also.
The main problem with my vehicle physics is that when it gets so it is facing straight up or straight down, it stops rotating. It can't go more than 90 degrees up or down. I havn't played Halo Revolution in a while, but I thought your vehicles were able to rotate fully. (Was I right?) I think it has something to do with the Hspeed of the wheel objects.

Edited by c_raethke, 08 April 2008 - 03:22 AM.

sig.png

#10 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:30 AM

You cannot fully flip the vehicles in Halo Revolution. However i am making it do this in a few versions to come. Then you will have to 'Press <SPACE> to flip vehicle' lol like in the halo games. Also, i think Sokota got the pressing 'C' thing off me, because it's in HR lol That's fine. I'll play again and put them in with me :P

Scotty

TEAM ODDBOX

Posted Image

#11 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

Cool. I never knew about the C thing. It does help alot.

Seth

Posted Image

#12 Jay Da Master

Jay Da Master

Block: Coming Soon...

• 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:04 AM

Hopefully I can get everything on the website working and we can put screenshots/info etc. on there.

#13 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

EDIT
:) I loved it. Honestly, it was great! The small, yet awesome graphics, and there's nothing wrong with your programming! I don't think i need to give you any hints with the vehicle physics, because you seem to have it working great. However i do have one thing to say. Your heliciopter is awesome, i love the way it tilts, im actualling using those physics for my hornet in Halo Revolution (when we add it). But one thing, make it face right when the mouse is to the right of it, and left for when the mouse is to the left of it. That way, you can fly backwards while shooting right, and vice versa. It's enoying having to fly back, then turn around before you can kill something. Other then that, great work! I especially love the use of particle effects from the wings! It might be little, but it's awesome!

I was also surprised when i tried to climb the ladder, and i could! I really didn't think i was going to be able to, but then i did :)

The Allie AI needs to follow you when you're on the dirt bike, and you should add shooting over the steering wheel 2. You should think about allowing the allies to hop in with you (in the helicopter, and jeep).

But I know, this is only a demo. Im going to watch this game, as it has great potential. Some suggestions:
* Make particle effects for moving on the sand.
* Allow the helicopter to land on buildings
* Allow AI to hop in vehicles with you
* AI needs to follow you when you're on the dirt bike

More levels!

Good Luck, and i hope you don't give up on this! It has heaps of potential!

Scotty

Wow thanks, Scotty! We aren't going to give up on it, thats from our minds. Cody has seemed to fix some of your problems, but we're not close enough to release another version. We'll wait till we add more stuff. But good things are coming, just for you. :mellow: The allies do jump in the turret when you press "C". We're working with the helicopter, and there will be other helicopters that will be able to have one than one person! I have some ideas already!

You cannot fully flip the vehicles in Halo Revolution. However i am making it do this in a few versions to come. Then you will have to 'Press <SPACE> to flip vehicle' lol like in the halo games. Also, i think Sokota got the pressing 'C' thing off me, because it's in HR lol That's fine. I'll play again and put them in with me :)

Scotty

Nope, I didn't get it from you. I just thought that "C" would be nice for "Commands", since we had no other obvious button for it. So yeap, I didn't even know that was in Halo: Revolution! Haha.

Cool. I never knew about the C thing. It does help alot.

Seth

Yeah, it does. Slightly, but it does. Sorry for not mentioning that before!

Ok fans, there is more coming soon! We will probably release another update by the end of this week, depending on how many bugs we have to slay. But, if all things go well, you will get to have more fun than ever before! Also, check out the website, as we are getting some content on there, slowly but surely!

Sokota

Please play and review!

Edited by Sokota, 09 April 2008 - 12:36 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

not bad, not bad.
I like the graphic style you have, very unique and distinct.
The controls were rock solid, no problems there.
The enviroments need more.
I, too felt a bit bored with them.
I guess there wasn't much in the way of animation.
Since your in the desert, you should add random dust storms,
or mirages that semi-distort the enemies in the distance.
Stuff like that sounds pretty cool, (I think)
The vehicles were actually really fun to drive, very nice there.
The enemies should do more, and there should be more to hide behind.
when your in the open, it's a tad difficult to pull a "Neo" and dodge bullets.
I did that, yet still died.
It was sad.

Overall, I had no complaints, just add more stuff, that's really all I can say.
Nice job, and keep up the good work.

-Alex M.
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#15 Jext

Jext

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1002 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:19 AM

Nice game! The graphics are quite poor <_< JK! Lol, the graphics are really awesome, as is gameplay and the physics of the vehicles. Well done!

Edited by Jext, 29 June 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Shawn64's Street Bike Fury
Skyfire's Statis

Shawn64's Jetz Rampage 4
Shawn64's Infection

#16 Red Connelly

Red Connelly

GMC Member

• 514 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:23 AM

Grammatically (American Standard), it should be World at War. The world can be 'engaged in warfare', but the World cannot be 'in war'.

#17 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

not bad, not bad.
I like the graphic style you have, very unique and distinct.
The controls were rock solid, no problems there.
The enviroments need more.
I, too felt a bit bored with them.
I guess there wasn't much in the way of animation.
Since your in the desert, you should add random dust storms,
or mirages that semi-distort the enemies in the distance.
Stuff like that sounds pretty cool, (I think)
The vehicles were actually really fun to drive, very nice there.
The enemies should do more, and there should be more to hide behind.
when your in the open, it's a tad difficult to pull a "Neo" and dodge bullets.
I did that, yet still died.
It was sad.

Overall, I had no complaints, just add more stuff, that's really all I can say.
Nice job, and keep up the good work.

-Alex M.

Ok, we are working on all of your suggestions! But do not fret! The desert will be only one theme of the environment!! We working on adding more, too keep fans like you happy. So far, we have a ton going for us, as we have been adding some sweet effects and other things, which will be surprises for one or perhaps two or three future releases! Glad you liked it, pretty much everyone has!

Nice game! The graphics are quite poor :) JK! Lol, the graphics are really awesome, as is gameplay and the physics of the vehicles. Well done!

Thanks. Your site is awesome too! :P. Glad you liked it, will you be looking forward to future releases?

Grammatically (American Standard), it should be World at War. The world can be 'engaged in warfare', but the World cannot be 'in war'.

And, grammatically, you, good sir, are theorizing that "Frozzd" would have been a bad game due to the lack of its properness as a proper noun. So, my dear fellow, depart and post something more relevant and useful to Skyfire, that way we know you really are intelligent.;)

Sokota

Posted Image

#18 Amster

Amster

GMC Member

• 493 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Played your game. It's really fun. I'd recommend getting music and more sounds like for helicopter and stuff. As well, I can't really talk about story because it's just a demo but the gameplay was fun. I'd recommend making the cars perhaps kill an enemy instead of just driving past them or maybe cars that can get damaged, as well.

I really like the whole game though and the graphics were great along with the physics.

#19 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

I'm downloading. Also, I really suggest you add AA transparencies to the things that rotate in the game. That was the outlines won't mess up. That or you could double-thick the outlines.

EDIT:

Hmmm, not quite what I expected. It was pretty fun. First off, nice graphics. I especially liked the health bar. The physics are amazing. Gotta love the vehicles. Still, it was rather short(even for a demo), and I couldn't figure out how to switch weapons.

Overall, good game you have so far.
Still you have a long way to go.

Edited by jakman4242, 13 April 2008 - 12:04 AM.

-- My blog. --

#20 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:22 AM

I couldn't figure out how to switch weapons

To switch weapons, just press TAB. Sorry, I guess we forgot too put that up there.

Seth

Posted Image

#21 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:40 AM

Played your game. It's really fun. I'd recommend getting music and more sounds like for helicopter and stuff. As well, I can't really talk about story because it's just a demo but the gameplay was fun. I'd recommend making the cars perhaps kill an enemy instead of just driving past them or maybe cars that can get damaged, as well.

I really like the whole game though and the graphics were great along with the physics.

Thanks! We're glad its fun for you, as thats the point! Yes, sounds are coming, but for now they'd be too much for file size to simply test what we've added. Yeah, we're working on a system with the vehicles and soldiers. Thanks for the graphics comment, I made 'em all, with Cody editing some. And glad you liked the physics! They're going to get better as well!

I'm downloading. Also, I really suggest you add AA transparencies to the things that rotate in the game. That was the outlines won't mess up. That or you could double-thick the outlines.

EDIT:

Hmmm, not quite what I expected. It was pretty fun. First off, nice graphics. I especially liked the health bar. The physics are amazing. Gotta love the vehicles. Still, it was rather short(even for a demo), and I couldn't figure out how to switch weapons.

Overall, good game you have so far.
Still you have a long way to go.

Yeah, sorry for the shortness, but it is a demo. Campaigns are prime on our priorities, so don't worry! Sorry about the controls, as mentioned by Seth, TAB is the button for switching, pretty much like any other shooter. Glad you liked it!

Ok fans, a new update will be here tomorrow, so don't fret, and keep an eye out for it! I'll list all the features tomorrow when it's uploaded, so be on the lookout, because we have added a ton of stuff, and I mean a ton! Have fun guys, and thanks for all the great reviews!

Sokota

Also, check out the new GameDev entry on our website! Or, go directly to it here!!

Posted Image

#22 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

I really like this game.
Can I ask how you did the sky?
Did you use a gradient? If so what are the colors?(I've been working on a follow-up of my 2PShooter game for a while now, and I'm just about to start on level design.)
-- My blog. --

#23 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

I really like this game.
Can I ask how you did the sky?
Did you use a gradient? If so what are the colors?(I've been working on a follow-up of my 2PShooter game for a while now, and I'm just about to start on level design.)

Well thanks for liking it! NEW UPDATE EVERYBODY! Check the first post to see the list of things we've added! Don't forget to review on what you though about it, as your opinion will only make this game better! Have fun!

Sokota

Don't forget the blog either! You can post comments on it, so check it out HERE!

Edited by Sokota, 13 April 2008 - 04:29 PM.

Posted Image

#24 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

I love this game so much, it's so cartoony and simple, lovely! You have made some awesome particle effects there!

Nice work on fixing the helicopter, i love it now.
Making the jeep get dirty is a fantastic idea!!! But you should make it happen to the dirtbike as well.
The blood's cool, and so's when you shoot the ground.

You should be able to shoot out those windows in that building. And you should have a bit where you climb up those ledges, then walk into a broken bit (the room doesn't change, you just go behind the wall when you walk through) and then you are standing at a window or something. Just for another feature..

Grenades are cool to, you didn't have them in the last version did you.

Nice work, as i said before, i'll be downloading all your versions!

Scotty

TEAM ODDBOX

Posted Image

#25 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

Nice little update. But a few suggestions:
1: Make it possible to aim. At least with the sniper.
2: Make grenades thrown with f or something, right click should be something else.
3: Customizable controls(2 kinda falls into that, but oh well.)
4: Assault rifle please! I don't know any military force that's used a SMG primarily.
5: Let small guns be used on the Bike and while driving.
6: Make AI able to duck.
7: Make headshots 1-hit-kills.

I liked the update nevertheless.
-- My blog. --

#26 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:56 AM

I love this game so much, it's so cartoony and simple, lovely! You have made some awesome particle effects there!

Nice work on fixing the helicopter, i love it now.
Making the jeep get dirty is a fantastic idea!!! But you should make it happen to the dirtbike as well.
The blood's cool, and so's when you shoot the ground.

You should be able to shoot out those windows in that building. And you should have a bit where you climb up those ledges, then walk into a broken bit (the room doesn't change, you just go behind the wall when you walk through) and then you are standing at a window or something. Just for another feature..

Grenades are cool to, you didn't have them in the last version did you.

Nice work, as i said before, i'll be downloading all your versions!

Scotty

Thanks, Scotty, for being our biggest fan! There will be many more versions to come! Hmm, about the windows, that would be neat, and hasn't been ignored, but it would seem a bit weird. Perhaps an action to climb through the window, or open a door or the like? We have going inside buildings as an feature (Not yet, for future versions) but that will be different, as you'd be inside a different level, sorta. Good idea though. Grenades are being worked on, as the animation doesn't fit the style of the sprites. I think they were, but they weren't this cool ^_^!

Nice little update. But a few suggestions:
1: Make it possible to aim. At least with the sniper.
2: Make grenades thrown with f or something, right click should be something else.
3: Customizable controls(2 kinda falls into that, but oh well.)
4: Assault rifle please! I don't know any military force that's used a SMG primarily.
5: Let small guns be used on the Bike and while driving.
6: Make AI able to duck.
7: Make headshots 1-hit-kills.

I liked the update nevertheless.

Yeah, all those have been thought of and are being worked on. Make it possible to aim? What are you talking about? :whistle: Um, those are kinda Assualt SMGS..lol. Can't sprite them too big, and they hold them with two hands. Sorry if they seem short, perhaps I'll resprite them all. Right click works well though, but we will have customizable controls later on. As well as many other options. Thanks for the replies!

Sokota

Posted Image

#27 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

22 downloads not 60+. :whistle:

Just played the new version, and the AI is worse than before. My teammate got stuck in the bottom of the screen lol

~ Angus

Edited by Uber-Angus, 15 April 2008 - 03:16 AM.

#28 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

22 downloads not 60+. ^_^

~ Angus

Thats including Version 0.01 :whistle:.

Sokota

Posted Image

#29 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Oh ok.
Some suggestions:
~ Redo the graphics (mainly the people and guns)
~ Better AI
~ Better tilesets

As of now the AI is terrible (no offense whoever made it).

~ Angus

#30 bazza1182

bazza1182

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

i think the dirt particles should be im proved for one thing they shouldent have gravity,
should move strait up and be destroyed like an inch off the ground i think that would improve it

#31 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

Dust doesn't fly up and disappear like a firework lol.

~ Angus

#32 Hector

Hector

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

Yup, I say it'd be World at War too.
Either way, it looks like an excellent game.

#33 jmcorp2007

jmcorp2007

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

very good,

pros:
graphics 7/10: They are good for the style of game you are making, and i love how you kept the game in the same cartoony style throughout.

sound 6/10: Needs some work but for the demo, very well done.

gameplay 8/10: Love the freeroam kinda gameplay, oh and the enemy A.I is great, a bit touchy at times but overall great.

cons:
i did notice that when you man the turrent on the jeep, the enemy dont know how to deal with you, they simply walk around you and are defenseless.

great demo, especially when you consider the fact that this is just a first version!

overall 7/10

keep working... :(
Absolute Zero studios working on a number of titles. Stay tuned.

#34 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

looks great

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#35 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

Oh ok.
Some suggestions:
~ Redo the graphics (mainly the people and guns)
~ Better AI
~ Better tilesets

As of now the AI is terrible (no offense whoever made it).

~ Angus

Yeah, we are working on that! The graphics probably won't be changed, only added too, as there isn't much to look at in the background. The tilesets may or may not be changed, as we wanted to the ground to be..well, to be. Not much more than ground. Anyways, we will look into it nonetheless.

Yup, I say it'd be World at War too.
Either way, it looks like an excellent game.

Did you try it? :)

very good,

pros:
graphics 7/10: They are good for the style of game you are making, and i love how you kept the game in the same cartoony style throughout.

sound 6/10: Needs some work but for the demo, very well done.

gameplay 8/10: Love the freeroam kinda gameplay, oh and the enemy A.I is great, a bit touchy at times but overall great.

cons:
i did notice that when you man the turrent on the jeep, the enemy dont know how to deal with you, they simply walk around you and are defenseless.

great demo, especially when you consider the fact that this is just a first version!

overall 7/10

keep working... :)

Thanks. Yeah the AI's dont attack you in vehicles yet. We're working on all the features that go with that so look for more battles in the future versions! Oh, and missions and campaigns (CAMPAIGNS!) are coming, so don't worry about the free roaming being gone. That will be for the online play.:)

looks great

Did you try it as well? :P

Sorry to disappoint you my fans, but there will be no update this week. I have to be gone for to much of it, and I haven't been able to get much done, spriting wise. So, you are stuck with Version 0.02 this week again (though its not a bad version), but be looking forward to Version 0.03!! Enjoy the game, and more reviews are wanted!

Sokota

Posted Image

#36 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:15 AM

of course I tried it. Can I post this on www.prodigygm.com ?

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#37 minilinkki

minilinkki

GMC Member

• 258 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object obj_usbc_bot:

Error in code at line 99:
if(player=instance_nearest(x,y,obj_cougar).id)

at position 47: Unknown variable id
-I want MMORPG game with RPG battles D:-

#38 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

I can't believe people actually try to CORRECT a game's title, since when did that ever become a priority? I am probably one of the biggest "speech freaks" around, but I rather people speak intelligent rather than nitpick one's project title...
hell, I wouldn't mind playing game called, "We Run Good then Fast" or "Shots in Earth" if it has good gameplay.

Just tried your new update, really like it.
I like how smooth it runs, the vehicles are extremely fun to drive.
But I think the helicopter is a bit cheap, I killed EVERYONE in 30 seconds.
I also think you should add more rewards regarding the kills.
If you kill a guy, he should have some sort of dying animation,
where he flies back or something, just an idea.
The blood should be a bit smaller, because in relation to the character's hands, the
particles are much bigger.
as an idea, have more of a splurt effect or something.

I also thought that the backgrounds need more.
I know this is a WIP and you are stilling working on these aspects,
but more stuff to look at would be nice, and more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The AI seemed to still be weak, shooting a guy shouldn't make him stand still longer,
other stuff would make them harder targets.

Overall though, it's coming along nice, and I will be looking forward to future updates.
-Alex M.

Edited by Alex Muncatchy, 18 April 2008 - 02:52 PM.

I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#39 c_raethke

c_raethke

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 2010 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

I wouldn't mind, but I'll ask Sokota if I talk to him. That might not be till Monday.

Omg, how did you make the bike physics!? Cool, man!
- Fede-lasse

The same way I made the jeep physics :P Thanks for playing

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object obj_usbc_bot:

Error in code at line 99:
if(player=instance_nearest(x,y,obj_cougar).id)

at position 47: Unknown variable id

Hmm... Anyone else get this error? I'll look into it either way.
EDIT: Fixed for the next version.

I can't believe people actually try to CORRECT a game's title, since when did that ever become a priority? I am probably one of the biggest "speech freaks" around, but I rather people speak intelligent rather than nitpick one's project title...
hell, I wouldn't mind playing game called, "We Run Good then Fast" or "Shots in Earth" if it has good gameplay.

The blood should be a bit smaller, because in relation to the character's hands, the

but more stuff to look at would be nice, and more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The AI seemed to still be weak, shooting a guy shouldn't make him stand still longer,

Overall though, it's coming along nice, and I will be looking forward to future updates.
-Alex M.

Thanks for the review. I'm working on Ragdoll physics for when people die, but I'm not sure when I will finish because it is proving hard to make. I am also making it so you can die in vehicles, that is why the helichopper is so cheap right now. Once you loose health in it, it won't be quite as good.
Hmm... I'll talk to Seth about the blood. He designed all the particles except on the chopper, cause I'm not really good with particles, but we might make them smaller and more... splurty? Also, Sokota is working on making some more background objects/stuffs, so they might be in the next version too. There will also be a few more levels in the next release (I think), so it will be more of a demo than an engine test ;)

Edited by c_raethke, 19 April 2008 - 02:07 AM.

sig.png

#40 coin3

coin3

GMC Member

• 304 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

I played the game, and so far, it rocks! I did not care if it can have better graphics, they fit perfectly. In later versions though, make the enemies more hidden, to ambush you when you get into range. It would make the game harder if there were enemy snipers around the map.

8/10
I am a game maker, using the program GameMaker to make my games.

#41 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

Any publicity is good publicity, right? ;) Anyways, go ahead, but give "Sokota" and "Skyfire" credit and such. Good luck on your site.

Omg, how did you make the bike physics!? Cool, man!

- Fede-lasse

Magic? :P

-Alex M.

Yes, yes. We are working on the environments, but right now, thats not too big of a worry for us. We are still working on basic features and things. Your ideas will be taken into consideration though!

I played the game, and so far, it rocks! I did not care if it can have better graphics, they fit perfectly. In later versions though, make the enemies more hidden, to ambush you when you get into range. It would make the game harder if there were enemy snipers around the map.

8/10

Ah, yes. We are working on adding more than one enemy. Trust me, there will be plenty of different targets for you, but we are simply tuning out bugs and things.

Ok everyone, Im back for a while now. One of my school activities ended over the last weekend, so I will be more free (in general) to work more on WIW. I hope you didn't mind not getting an update as fast as the last one, but I was gone, and as leader of Skyfire, they couldn't do too much without me. Hopefully you will see an update by next week, maybe. We have a lot to do, and I have to get caught up. Keep giving us suggestions though! Oh, and like..75 downloads and only 15 or so replys? Why do people not review a game? (Unless they are guests, of course!) So, if your a guest, sign up for an account now! :GM072:

Sokota

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sokota, 22 April 2008 - 07:15 AM.

Posted Image

#42 XmattopX

XmattopX

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Well ok that was a pretty wicked play

gameplay 8/10
AI is questionable though, i think you should work on that.

sound ,---
well i would not have sound or music in my game because until the game is finished all it basicly does is slow down the load time.

music
same with sound

graphics 10/10
I loved the graphics, Not to real, not to low-def, i think you did great.

Dont listen to people who say you need sound, if you do it when you want to do the sound may be better. If you make your own sounds then they might be sloppy and quick when you do it when they want you to. Trust me the music will slow you load speed extra lots, and if you test the everytime you make a change like me then in the end it will slow down the production of your game.

Oh ya, nice job on the physics with the bike, could be better though. Same with that other vehicle. The bike physic along with the car seem to be top heavy, or front heavy if you will, but that should be easy to fix.

What do you mean 2d/3d movie maker?

Edited by XmattopX, 22 April 2008 - 11:35 AM.

#43 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:00 AM

Well ok that was a pretty wicked play

gameplay 8/10
AI is questionable though, i think you should work on that.

sound ,---
well i would not have sound or music in my game because until the game is finished all it basicly does is slow down the load time.

music
same with sound

graphics 10/10
I loved the graphics, Not to real, not to low-def, i think you did great.

Dont listen to people who say you need sound, if you do it when you want to do the sound may be better. If you make your own sounds then they might be sloppy and quick when you do it when they want you to. Trust me the music will slow you load speed extra lots, and if you test the everytime you make a change like me then in the end it will slow down the production of your game.

Oh ya, nice job on the physics with the bike, could be better though. Same with that other vehicle. The bike physic along with the car seem to be top heavy, or front heavy if you will, but that should be easy to fix.

What do you mean 2d/3d movie maker?

The AI is being bettered all the time, so don't worry about it too much. Its already a lot better, but we aren't going to release it yet. Sounds we aren't worried about, but thanks for the tips, though that is what we are doing right now anyways. We think the physics are good, but they are only half done, as vehicles should/will be able to flip over, so you will be able to do flips on the bike, haha. Not sure how soon that will be done. though. Same with ragdoll physics. We are adding other details as well, so keep a lookout for the next update. Glad you liked it. Anyone else wanna try?

Sokota

Posted Image

#44 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Ok, so 97 downloads, and like 15 replies? Looks like some people may be downloading off our site? Anyways, a new update should be in store for next weekend, and we are adding things all the time. I was gone most of last weekend and was busy all last week, so we should be able to get caught up this week. Be on the look out for some neat things! Better AI, possibly a BRAND NEW vehicle, better effects, and other things. Next month should be a good month for us, so we should crank out some great updates. Please play this demo so we can add more and better stuff! Oh, and we are working on Online play! Woo! Won't that be fun?:GM073:

Sokota

Posted Image

#45 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Thats a great game...sorry for the small post but ive got no suggestions,...and im basicly just aw struck

#46 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:41 AM

Thats a great game...sorry for the small post but ive got no suggestions,...and im basicly just aw struck

Well, I guess constructive criticism couldn't get any better? Haha. Thanks. And we've only just begun. We should be releasing an update next weekend. Oh, and Over 100 downloads in only two weeks for Version 0.02! Tells you something, doesn't it? Please try our game, and download v.02 now, so that way my bandwidth won't be used up next month! Next month will bring Version 0.03! Can't wait, can ya?

Sokota

Posted Image

#47 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:04 AM

Sorry for not replying in a while, but I've been busy...
Um aiming as in aiming down the sights so you can see a lot farther.
And just for the record, those are SMGs.
Assault Rifles are classified by:
* A carbine sized individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder.
* Capable of selective fire.
* Intermediate-power cartridge between pistol and traditional rifle.
* Ammunition is supplied from a large capacity detachable box magazine.
(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

And for the record, SMGs are meant to be held with 2 hands also, as are all guns.(Even a little handgun.)
And what say you to the headshots?
-- My blog. --

#48 c_raethke

c_raethke

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 2010 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

And for the record, SMGs are meant to be held with 2 hands also, as are all guns.(Even a little handgun.)

Well, the graphics are so tiny that if I try to make the view zoom out, they get all messed up. So maybe a little bit later on, but I have to work on other stuff first. As for the weapons... the current ones ARE held in both hands. But they maybe aren't the primary ones, just the first ones Sokota made. We are adding more groups of weapons.

sig.png

#49 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:15 AM

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Well, the graphics are so tiny that if I try to make the view zoom out, they get all messed up. So maybe a little bit later on, but I have to work on other stuff first. As for the weapons... the current ones ARE held in both hands. But they maybe aren't the primary ones, just the first ones Sokota made. We are adding more groups of weapons.

Not necessarily zoom out, just make something that looks like you're aiming down a sniper scope cover the screen, and let the mouse move around the room freely.
-- My blog. --

#50 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

Hmm. Like a crosshair that covers the screen? I dunno if that would fit the style of the game. Its platforming after all. Can anyone else try it before the 1st of May?All feedback welcome, good or bad. Preferably good. ^_^

Sokota

Posted Image