thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

Too
Many
Isotopes

Too Many Isotopes was inspired by the Atari game that was loosely based on the movie The China Syndrome. Mainly, I was experimenting with a new graphics style, but the game is really fun and addicting to play as well.

In the game, you must keep a nuclear reaction in check. To do so, you must catch stray neutrons and prevent them from starting a chain reaction. You must be quick, but also careful to not hit the edges of the chamber, as well as various obstacles.

To beat a level, you must catch all the neutrons that are bouncing around. Your score is determined by how quickly you accomplish this. Do not let the neutrons multiply too much; if there are more than six of a certain color, you will lose a life.

Download:

Mirror I
Mirror II

Specifications:

Title: Too Many Isotopes
Genre: Minigame
Download Size: 1.33 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable and README.txt.
Resolution: 640 x 480
Version: 1.2
Written In: GM7 Registered (Should work on Vista!)

Controls:

Arrow Keys: Move
<CTRL>: Catch (use this to capture the neutrons)
<F5>: Toggle sound
<F6-F8>: Change color mode (CMY, RGB, Greyscale)

Screenshot:

Posted Image
As you can see, the game is rather abstract. In fact, there are only three colors, which are represented as rectangular bars within each pixel. In a way, the game's graphical style is kind of like a super-zoomed view of a computer monitor (just with the possibility for other colors than RGB, like CMY).

Notes:

- The game's audio is composed entirely of PC-Speaker beeping. This can be turned off by pressing <F5>. I would like to thank Jedlas for his GM PC-Beep extension that makes using the PC-Speaker possible.

- The game is supposed to be a little jerky (like an Atari game), but shouldn't run slowly. Please let me know if it lags a lot on your computer.

Edited by thetagames, 26 December 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#2 erty906

erty906

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

That reminds me of Die Hard.

#3 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Cool style! I really like the look of it. Gameplay isn't very fun, though. But overall, quite inspiring :P

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:07 PM

Why? Is it because it is a game based on a game based on a movie? Neither this nor the original Atari game The China Syndrome really have anything to do with the movie The China Syndrome, other than the fact that there is a nuclear reactor undergoing meltdown.

Cool style! I really like the look of it. Gameplay isn't very fun, though. But overall, quite inspiring

Thanks, and I'm glad you liked the style, as it is one of the main parts of the game. I agree, the gameplay is rather repetitive, but I guess it is a bit addictive. I think it is at least more fun than the The China Syndrome game, because the movement is more friction-based (and thus more challenging), and you can't hit the outer chamber.

Edited by thetagames, 06 April 2008 - 03:09 PM.

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Sorry to double-post, but today I tried this on another computer, and noticed that the game's FPS was faster than it should have been. The computer that I made it on is getting a bit old, so after checking the FPS, I noticed it was lagging on my machine. I have uploaded a new version with a lower room speed. I think this was probably why many users thought it was difficult.

Thanks!

#6 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Deserves more attention...
It wasn't that bad. Flashy graphics weren't my thing, but it was good.
Made it to lvl 3 :) I'll keep playing.

9/10^_^

#7 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

Why did you have to remind me of that.

The intro was freaky, with my pc beeping like that :)
Jmds8UL.png

#8 _Jaiden

_Jaiden

STG

• 596 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

yeah, i always hated the pc speaker thing... it reminds me of old computers :) , and plus, it's too loud and i don't think you can turn it down

#9 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Deserves more attention...
It wasn't that bad. Flashy graphics weren't my thing, but it was good.
Made it to lvl 3 I'll keep playing.

9/10^_^

Thanks! I don't know if I would call the graphics 'flashy,' but they certainly are bright. I was thinking of possibly toning down the menu screen, by removing the yellow stripes. I was definitely going for simple and addicting with this game.

The intro was freaky, with my pc beeping like that

yeah, i always hated the pc speaker thing... it reminds me of old computers, and plus, it's too loud and i don't think you can turn it down

Yes, but in the game you can turn it off. Just press <F5>. Did anyone recognize the title melody?

Also, did anyone catch the wordplay with the title?

Thanks for the responses!

~ Theta Games

#10 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

God level 3 is hard! :lol:

Only wordplay I saw was "Too Wavy Isotopes".

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:36 AM

What do you mean? The title is "Too Many Isotopes." I guess the title menu is a little hard to read. The wordplay is with the actual title. The beginning letters of each word spell out T.M.I., which refers to the Three Mile Island nuclear power station, which had a near-partial meltdown just days after The China Syndrome came out. As was mentioned before, Too Many Isotopes was inspired by the Atari game that was loosely based on this movie.

#12 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Does anyone else have suggestions? I would like some more feedback on this, please.

#13 Overman

Overman

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

What do you mean? The title is "Too Many Isotopes." I guess the title menu is a little hard to read. The wordplay is with the actual title. The beginning letters of each word spell out T.M.I., which refers to the Three Mile Island nuclear power station, which had a near-partial meltdown just days after The China Syndrome came out. As was mentioned before, Too Many Isotopes was inspired by the Atari game that was loosely based on this movie.

D'oh! Howd we miss something so obvious.

ps you reply to your own thread too much. you come across as desperate. (sorry, its true)

#14 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

D'oh! Howd we miss something so obvious.

Was that sarcastic or not? I was actually thinking of changing the title, to possibly "The Mighty Isotope" or "Total Meltdown imminent." Both of those make more sense than "Too Many Isotopes."