BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image
Game Widgets - By B&B Gaming

I started this project a while ago to replace DLL's such as Max WinAPI, GM Window Widgets, or N Menu. It is an open-source, pure-GML solution to carrying around heavy DLL files with your game. Fully customizable, to fit your every needs. Unlike other, similar scripts, I made this project to be as light as possible, running very fast and not adding a lot of bloat to your game. Since they are scripts, you can open up the object that corresponds with the control you want, and actually change its functionality! This means you can take the scripts to do whatever you like! You can easily make checkboxes have a third state, other than off or on; or you could make radio buttons that can have two selected; or whatever! You could also duplicate the objects, and change them about to have two different functionalities in the same project.

Posted Image

Here's a list of current features:
Spoiler

It comes with an example, and shouldn't need much explaining. Here is the online documentation.

As requested - Screeny

Download Links:
Game Maker 8 GMRES File**
Game Maker 8.1 GM81 File**
Game Maker 8 GMK File**
Game Maker 7 GMK File
**Please read GM8.0 and 8.1 notes at the bottom of this post, there are some considerations to make.

Please leave a comment!

If you're having trouble using Game Widgets, try the docs:
**Documentation**
.chm Help File: Game Widgets Reference .7Z (Courtesy of attm)

Quick example on Game Widgets implementation

If you use Game Widgets in your project, don't worry about crediting me. I don't care. But if you want to, "B&B Gaming - Game Widgets" would be perfect.
Special thanks are in order to all those who really helped me over the past two years with this project:
~Vanquish: A huge list of suggestions and improvements
~IsmAvatar: Wrote the original textbox this engine's is based off of
~attm: Providing the documentation .chm and GM6 files
~Markup Magazine: Providing me with a spotlight

**GM8.0 and 8.1 Notes**
GM8.1 has some strange issues when using Game Widgets. Some are expected, others are not. When using GM8.1:
-You have to turn off argument checking in the global game options. I use lots of optional arguments in functions, and GM8.1 broke these, sorry.
-For some reason, GM8.1 doesn't like fonts imported from GMK files. Luckily, there is an easy fix. Simply open up each of the 4 fonts in the Game Maker editor, and click OK. If you don't you will get very weird errors. After you do this once, you shouldn't ever have to do this again. This problem has also been reported in GM8.0, but the fix should be the same.

Edited by BBGaming, 11 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#2 top hunter7

top hunter7

GMC Member

• 1043 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

I liked it, especially the fact that you can actually type the '#' symbol in the text area.

I might actually see myself using this.

Also, I think it'd be awesome if you added multi-line text boxes.

Well done. :)

~TH7

#3 rpgfoopod

rpgfoopod

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

this is epic!!
very nice, i've been looking for this stuff for a long time!

Edited by rpgfoopod, 03 April 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#4 thejamesexperience

thejamesexperience

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Put up screenshot plx

#5 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

There is multiline for the text boxes, in the creation script for the text box. Or if I forgot it, you can set multiline to 1 in the text box object.

Thanks for your comments. I was upset I wasn't getting comments. :(

#6 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

I really hope you get TreeView done! It's one thing I want to NOT use a DLL for.

Sliding Bars do not need a DLL...They can be simple...but I have not done it?

Tabs are not very hard either...I do it the lazy way currently...but it is a highly customizable thing. I am guessing variables and arrays...tons of them would be used?

I would definitely use this in HTML Editor...does it have Windows sprites? I will have to sub this for GMWW.dll

Pretty neat though!

#7 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:13 AM

Tree view will be HARD. I still haven't come up with a way of doing it. Nested data structures, at the least.

And I don't use sprites. I zoom on the actual things in paint and do pixel-by-pixel.

Thanks for your comments. :(

#8 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

Looks nice, but you should post a screen shot...

#9 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Already done. See first post, right above the DL link.

#10 Somelauw

Somelauw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

Wow. that's pretty good. Allows GUI apllications to be made from pure GML.

But err, isn't that guy girl called ISMAvatar or is ISMAvitar another member?
New members might put a misspelled name in their credits if it's the first case. :GM123:

Edited by Somelauw, 07 April 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#11 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

I love it! Well done B&B! What would be cool is multiselecting on the Listbox that would be cool, keep up the good work :GM123:

#12 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

Sure, I'll add multi-selecting. What I'm doing is adding a GW_###_Styles() script that can completely customize every feature, things such as color, font, and additional features will be found in there.

Thanks for the comments. :GM123:

#13 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:35 AM

I suggest you fix the drawing bad pixels or use sprites :) The arrow in check boxes is missing a piece?

#14 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:06 AM

Could you post a screenshot, please? I don't have any problems. And not using sprites is a lot more easy and flexible on my part. :)

#15 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

I have no problem with not using sprites...it's just there is a line on the checked, check box, check missing. :) Look carefully...

#16 Kantatzu

Kantatzu

The Man In A Sugar Coma

• 287 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

I LOVE THIS!

Seriously, why don't people notice this!?

#17 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

GMREC: I still don't see it...

Kantatzu: Very well spoken. :)

#18 microbot

microbot

Rating: Mostly Harmless

• 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

Looks very nice, I cant wait for the gm6 version to be released so that I can convert it to gm5.3a LOL!

#19 adrianbailey

adrianbailey

GMC Member

• 338 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

omg
in the third post rpgfoopod converted it gm6.

anyway this is pretty awesome and i will definitely use it.

#20 Bob_George33

Bob_George33

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

Can you make one that doesn't need gm pro or comment on the code so I can tryand make one myself?

#21 se14an

se14an

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:06 AM

cool works great B)

#22 romis69

romis69

GMC Member

• 139 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

How about a version 5 conversion? Version 5 is by far the most compatible - working in at least 2000 through Vista and also in GNU/Linux under Wine and Mac under Darwine. Typically script APIs have been slow, though, because of the large amount of code in Step events.

#23 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Update!

Now Included:
  • Track Bar
  • Tabs

Also, Game Widgets was featured in Markup Magazine! See the link here. Any bugs or feature suggestions are welcome. Please comment!

Edited by B&B_Gaming, 15 November 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#24 Bitsoft

Bitsoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

These are good, but they don't look right. And that textbox doesn't have a right-click menu. I thought these were done in the scripts, but there seem to be objects too :P . And this isn't a solution to DLLs, unless you don't mind GM drawn widgets.

It's good, but it doesn't really appeal to me :P .

#25 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the comment. The controls don't look identical to the actual windows controls, because GM doesn't draw very nice-looking shapes (roundrect, circles, etc), and I chose not to use sprites for customize-ability reasons (and because it wouldn't be very practical with things like tabs, scroll bars, buttons, etc. because they are user-defined in size). But the great thing about these scripts is they are fully customizable, just open up the corresponding object (yes, objects :P) and you can easily change colors, shapes, (replace the drawn objects with sprites, if you want), and even the functionality of the control itself, and that's what separates these from DLLs.

I also note your suggestion about the right-click menu, and I Have added a menu into one of my projects, but it required reliance on another user's scripts for the menu (GM's menus suck...), which I am trying to avoid. I will contact the creator of those scripts, and see if they're ok with me using them.

EDIT: Update! I found the magical function draw_set_circle_precision(), everything looks LOADS better, so if you were using an older version, please re-download, and see for yourself. (PS: You can't just change the precision in an older version, I had to re-do some of the drawing functions.) Also, I added drop-down boxes. They're basically a listbox hack, but they work like you would expect.

Edited by B&B_Gaming, 17 November 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#26 Rune

Rune

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Awesome scripts. I have been waiting years for something like this to come along.

#27 MrOpposite

MrOpposite

Yesterdays games

• 744 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hey, i would like support for mouse wheel :) (Btw it looked a bit odd on my comp, since im using windoes 98 theme :P)

EDIT:
Btw, the REAL selection colour is 6956042...

Edited by StarTrek, 12 December 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#28 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

You mean the blue selection, right? I used c_blue, seemed to work nicely. :) I can change it, though, I'm almost ready to release an update. (Hint: Child Windows. :()

#29 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2461 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

As promised (though not as soon as I would have liked :(), I completed another update. I added a right-click menu to the textboxes, the ability to create password boxes, and, the greatest of them all, child windows. Extremely customizable through scripts, they allow for movement around the screen, resizing, maximize, minimize, and close button functionality, custom icons, captions, and the built-in functionality to dock controls (Game Widgets Textboxes, Checkboxes, Radio buttons, etc.) with a single script, having all the hard work of getting them to work done for you! The windows also come with several functions to determine the drawing area of the window, so you can do your own custom drawing in them without digging through the code.

I'm very exited about this update, please comment about any bugs (probably plenty), features you want or want changed, or if you appreciate my work and want me to keep going. :) Thanks for downloading!

#30 Lycondone

Lycondone

GMC Member

• 268 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Lately I've been seeing more people making this kind of program, and I'm one of them. It's a nice system, but there are a few problems I found that should be fixed to make it seem like the real thing.

- You can click objects behind the window.
- Adding the ability to use the scroll wheel on combo boxes and list boxes.
- Not using show_menu for the menu bar :).
- And other little things

I like how it's going to far and hope you continue to work on this :) . In fact, I like this so much you've convinced me to continue working on mine :(.

Edited by Lycondone, 12 January 2009 - 10:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users