Photo

Blazing Rivalry - Super Smash Bros Fangame!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:06 AM

Blazing Rivalry
A Super Smash Bros. Fangame!

I've seen many SSB Fangames here, and in other places like GMG. Some of them are fun, some of them aren't, most are unpolished, but a few have nice graphics too. Despite that, none have ever come close to SSB's greatness, and you know what? None ever will! However, I'm going to make an attempt to come closer than any ever have! "How?" You might ask, well for starters, how does up to 20 players online sound to you? Pretty good? How about MORE characters than Brawl? Online Highscores? Level editor? Yes, yes, and yes, this game will have those, and more! I've already got the 20 players part done as a matter of fact! It's still in beta, so there are only 12 characters so far, and only Standard & Smash attacks are working online, but we'll be adding more, and fast! Hope you enjoy!

Category on the EO Forums (Registration is not required, but we appreciate it!):
http://www.kajekgame...hp?showforum=41

Download (List of releases):
http://www.kajekgame...hp?showforum=42

Screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Controls:
Arrows move
Z: Standard move
Z+->: Smash Move
X: Special (Only a few characters, in "Solo" only)

I know it may seem like a pain, but I STRONGLY recommend you read the release notes on the download topics, it'll give you important info on what NOT to do! This is the first public release, so there has been little in the way of testing, so there WILL be bugs!

If you want the server files to host an online game, PM me please! This may also seem like a hassle, but it's for security reasons. When you have your server, you will be expected to follow the hosting rules:
http://www.kajekgame...hp?showtopic=45

Hamachi is NOT necessary by any means, but it allows folks like me who can't forward ports to host games, so we do have an official SSBBR Hamachi Network up, the name and pass are both SSBBR . (In all caps!) Here's the site for that:

https://secure.logme...vpn.asp?lang=en

If you see me online on Hamachi, I may be hosting, just so ya know. :)

Anyway, have fun, constructive criticism is okay, but no flaming please, it's only a beta. PM me or post if you have any issues with running the game! :)

#2 Blaze984089

Blaze984089

Fire-games leader

• 491 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Um, whats the I.P address? I just left it as it was and it said it couldn't connect.
Want a place to discuss games my team, Dark Games, has made?
Want a place where you can just hang out and talk about random stuff?
Want a new forum to visit every day for updates?

http://darkgames.fre...s.org/index.php

Join my forum, and have fun! (Make sure to read the rules!)

#3 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

It's not a single server MMO, someone has to be hosting. 127.1.0.0 is for connecting if you're the one hosting, otherwise you'll need to enter the one who IS hosting's IP. As I said, if you would like to host, I could send you the files, just PM me if you're interested. And if you want to find out your own IP, here's a good site for that:

http://whatsmyip.org/

Hope this helps. :)

#4 Blaze984089

Blaze984089

Fire-games leader

• 491 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, but who IS hosting?
Want a place to discuss games my team, Dark Games, has made?
Want a place where you can just hang out and talk about random stuff?
Want a new forum to visit every day for updates?

http://darkgames.fre...s.org/index.php

Join my forum, and have fun! (Make sure to read the rules!)

#5 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

Right now? No one. It's a freely distributed server, hosted by the users. Maybe there'll be a dedicated server at some point, but right now we don't, I can't forward ports, so I sure can't. Again, if you wanna host, PM me.

#6 Kilik 64

Kilik 64

Fire Emblem King

• 917 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

If you want to impress everyone, than make all of your characters the same sprite style, and make them for the most part balanced.

#7 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

They're as close to the same sprite style as I could get, I'm not so good at spriting characters, (At least not ones that I invented.) so I borrowed them from other sites, which, if I'm not mistaken, is what MOST SSB Fangames also do. As for balence, I'll admit that for now they aren't fairly balanced, but only because I haven't implemented special attacks yet, which WILL even it out a bit. Of course, they still will never be 100% even, but that's because the only way to do that would be to make them all the same. :(

#8 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Sorry to double post, but it's been WAY longer than 48 hours, and I've only got three replies, two by the same person, and the other one sounds like the guy didn't even play the game, but rather just gave some very general advice. I know there's room to improve, but I need to know if this project is even worth continuing! As a one time only thing, I'll post the server executable publicly. In future you'll have to PM me for it, but just to get this project off the ground, here is the exe:

http://www.box.net/shared/frpdyf3408

Please comment! I appreciate it! :huh:

#9 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

Hmm. I STRONGLY suggest a Hotseat mode, like in the real SSBB. The Ai is insane right now, it's way too easy to spam, and all it does is stick to you as well as it can and hurl fireballs (When mario). The camera is nuts, it moves in and out WAY too often, it's disorienting and distracting, it should be zoomed out some by default. Just play some SSB and watch how the camera moves. It's promising, though some of the characters are significantly different sizes (too much for scale), though I understand this is from having to use other game's sprites. There needs to be a delay when you use attacks, and possibly a max number of projectiles on screen at once, to keep folks from spamming. The characters fall WAY too fast, everything moves too fast, and I don't suggest you make up characters to use.

Edited by Captain Ventris, 05 April 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#10 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

Camera: I noticed that, which is why I completely removed it from the online mode, in the upcoming version, that is fixed.

Spamming: I put in a delay, but I guess it either doesn't work, or I made it way too short to notice, I'll remember to fix that.

Hotseat Mode: What? I don't remember a "Hotseat" mode, please specify exactly what you're talking about. It's a WIP, I'll be adding more modes as I go.

AI: Yeah, I think I'll make THIS the level 9 next version, and make weaker versions for levels 1-8, then later, when I have a better AI engine, I'll change it to make it less jerky and instant.

Scale: I know some of the sizes are off, but as said, I took them from other games, and shrinking/enlarging them makes them look really bad. If anyone wants to sprite for the game, I'll accept as long as they are high quality and go well with what I already have.

That's for the advice, hope this post answers any questions you might've had. :huh:

#11 Hartless

Hartless

GMC Member

• 403 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:12 AM

i can help you with spriting, i was actually thinking of making one of these but with completely custom characters. so pm me if you want me to help, otherwise i like the game alot besides what every one else said so far :huh:

#12 bugaham games

bugaham games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:29 AM

It looks OK but why put in pikachu when there are cooler pokemon like mew, mewtwo, lucario and Charizard?
Looking for a graphic artist.. If you are interested please PM me. ;)

#13 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

i can help you with spriting, i was actually thinking of making one of these but with completely custom characters. so pm me if you want me to help, otherwise i like the game alot besides what every one else said so far ;)

That'd be great, I'll PM you. :huh:

It looks OK but why put in pikachu when there are cooler pokemon like mew, mewtwo, lucario and Charizard?

Because Pikachu is a character who's been in every Smash Bros, I couldn't leave him out, and it's hard to find decent sprite sheets of the others you mentioned. :lol:

#14 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

Nice game. Can you PM me the Server. I wanna play someone online. Or can you host it?
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#15 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:48 AM

I decided that for promotional purposes, I'll post the server publicly THIS TIME, but as it becomes a problem I'll stop publicly announcing server updates. (See my post above, a few posts back.) I'll PM it to you anyway though, in case you don't come back to this topic. :huh:

#16 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

If anyone want's to play I'm hosting.
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#17 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

You have to post your IP, there's no serverlist. Unless you're on Hamachi, in which case all can see THAT IP there. :huh: