• This topic is locked This topic is locked
269 replies to this topic

#1 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

This is my latest small project. it embeds ANY GM/G-Creator/enigma game inside the website.

1.0 has been released see link below!

But I need to make sure that it works for everyone. For more information and to test the games for me go here:
http://forums.g-java...?showtopic=6972

You need to click on the games first!

If you have an open source game that you want me to embed then you can give me a link here, I need a good game to show it off :P It has to be open source as the source has to be modified slightly to work!

Unlike yoyo instant play this works in most webbrowsers (including opera and safari!). This will also be available to everyone FREE!

Also if it is a gm7 game it only downloads the game part of the exe so no extra 2mb per game :D

Anyway enjoy :huh:

Security

Alot of users have no idea about the current security of GMBED so read this:
The a p p l e t cannot be used on other hosts as it checks if it is running from g-java.com or not. So users can't use an old version of gmbed and can't move the a p p l e t to host on their site. This means we can continue to improve security of GMBED. When you start a game it asks if you want to run it or not so it cannot download without the user knowing. the user cannot decompile this and change then reupload to take advantage of the certificate because they have to sign their jar and it will always be different than mine.

Also if a site is reported to have a virus via a link on gmbed itself it can be banned from gmbed.

Edited by TGMG, 02 April 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#2 kayce92

kayce92

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

If this works....

:D
The Problems in our Community: GMC - Please Read!!

Looking for professional software? Looking for freeware sofwares that can really help you achieve your goals on your Computer?
Visit us at: ZenCore

Looking for professional freeware file encryption software? SecureCRYPT

#3 pgg

pgg

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Works for me in Firefox. :D
I like the fact that it shows how much of the game has been downloaded.

#4 ShaX

ShaX

GMC Member

• 246 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Didn't work for me (Firefox). I saw a download and unzip message but after that its just a black rectangle.

Edit: Nevermind, it worked. I may not know much about embedding but it adds an extra button to the taskbar and I can close the game without closing the page.

Edited by ShaX, 30 March 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Same with me. Just a black rectangle.

Edit:
Refreshed and it worked.

It actually embeds it :D

You need to make it so it doesnt add a taskbar item if possible

Edited by Revel, 30 March 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#6 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for posting your response, I think it is downloading the game faster than the runner, but when you refresh it already has the runner so it worked.

I want the game to end when the page is closed don't you?

Yes the taskbar is an issue I am trying to resolve. That is the main reason I have not released it for everyone yet.

Edited by TGMG, 30 March 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#7 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

I sent you a PM about embedding my game that uses a dll.

Edited by Revel, 30 March 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#8 kayce92

kayce92

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

When you play browser based games like RuneScape, you dont have to wait for it to download or anything; is it not possible that it could be done like that?
The Problems in our Community: GMC - Please Read!!

Looking for professional software? Looking for freeware sofwares that can really help you achieve your goals on your Computer?
Visit us at: ZenCore

Looking for professional freeware file encryption software? SecureCRYPT

#9 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

@kayce92 - Of course it downloads, nothing that big can reach your computer instantly. But it does it with a nice loading screen. We will have a better loading screen soon but this is a beta.

#10 Camman

Camman

UnReal Software CEO

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

When you play browser based games like RuneScape, you dont have to wait for it to download or anything; is it not possible that it could be done like that?

On the contrary, it just shows a loading bar. It is downloading things to your computer. You just don't realize it.

Also, this really owns my PlayNow Java app... lol.

Edited by Camman, 30 March 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#11 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

Yea his actually embeds it :D

#12 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

This is revels online game embeded:
http://www.g-java.co...m/gmbed/ink.zip

#13 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

The first time I launched it Firefox, it threw out an error about a null value. Then it launched fine, both in IE and Firefox.

So this does not require anything else than the Java runtime environment right?

Some suggestions:

Hide the taskbar button.
Make the text messages that appear while the game is downloaded (Downloading, Unzipping etc.), text color and their x,y customizable. You could use params for this. Maybe even a background while the game downloads? Finally a skinned progress bar would be good

#14 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

All it requires is Java and Windows.

Yeah the taskbar button is being worked on.

The loading screen is just a thing I threw together I will make sure it is very customizable via parameters, and even more customizable for those who know java :huh:

if you know java you could create a member create form for an online game while the game is downloading :D

#15 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

The loading screen is just a thing I threw together I will make sure it is very customizable via parameters

Very nice. And on top of that, I think it doesn't require any conversion like G-Java used to, right?

Yeah the taskbar button is being worked on.

It can also be hidden with a dll, if you can't figure it out. :D

if you know java you could create a member create form for an online game while the game is downloading

Not very well, but I'll look into it.

#16 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

If someone could find me a dll that works on vista that would be perfect :D

@AvibeGames - Sorry I didn't directly mean YOU, I meant that a user could do that for one of their games if they wanted :huh:

#17 bobhoil

bobhoil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1606 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

Wow this is awesome. Best thing I have seen in a while. And to the people that said other games embeded don't download they all do. Go into the temp directory/cache. This is awesome though!

300x50.png 

Check out my website at: BobHoil.com

#18 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

When will you let us embed our own games :D I cant wait.

#19 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Wow this is awesome. Best thing I have seen in a while. And to the people that said other games embeded don't download they all do. Go into the temp directory/cache. This is awesome though!

Flash and Java games are not server-side. They require to be downloaded somewhere so that the plugin launch them. This is the same thing happening here.

If someone could find me a dll that works on vista that would be perfect.

A dll for hiding the taskbar button?

#20 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Thanks to AvibeGames he found me a good dll to do it :D

Edited by TGMG, 30 March 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#21 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

i did? :D

#22 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

sorry I copied the wrong name, lots of thanks to AvibeGames :D

#23 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

sorry I copied the wrong name, lots of thanks to AvibeGames

No problem. :D

#24 esposch

esposch

Tapir Lover

• 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

TGMG, was it you who made G-Flash and G-Java. I think it was. One Question: Will this embed every event?

#25 SquareWheel

SquareWheel

Square Wheel Games

• 851 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

TGMG, was it you who made G-Flash and G-Java. I think it was. One Question: Will this embed every event?

The only event I'm unsure of is the Game End event. If the window/tab is closed, can Java send data to the game to tell it to execute the game end event?
Cook Console | Editor Engine | Mass File Namer

All of my examples are publicly available and can be found at

#26 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

I helped with G-flash and yes I am the founder of g-java (which is still being developed). but this product doesn't convert to java so it can not only run all events but all functions, actions etc!

#27 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

Kinda buggy, espessially annoying that it opens up a new task button and also creates the big black rectangle, also it seems like the hit the ball game won't let you click on them.

#28 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

Kinda buggy, espessially annoying that it opens up a new task button and also creates the big black rectangle, also it seems like the hit the ball game won't let you click on them.

They are not bugs. The task button will be hidden and the big black rectangle (a.pplet area) can be adjusted in the html document.

#29 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:53 PM

very nice, i gto some errors, like "Failed to initalize Direct Music" but thats jsut becasue they rewrote the sound drivers for vista and they suck!
so it sint' really your fault altho i onlt get this with this tho.
but amizing please release the embeder :D.

Rave Breakout! A new game for iOS devices!
Ever wondered how many lines of code your game has?
Guys, I have a great idea, let's protect the public through censorship.

#30 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

I consider your project a solution for running online games a copy of what YYG already has: it downloads / stores the runner seperately and then retrieves only the game data part. You advertise with download speed gaining massively by not having to download the runner part in GM 7 - well, the Instant Play feature from YYG offers that for 5.3a, 6.1 and 7.

In the case of other applications your Java apple downloads an executable and runs it. That may sound as a nice plugin to run just about any Windows executable from a browser, but this also makes it a browser-embedded trojan. Be careful in what 'games' you play.

As YYG has a commercial interest in people using Instant Play, I assume they will object to advertisement of this Java app on what is their official Game Maker developer's forum. Also keep in mind that your seperation of runner and game data may, in a strict interpretation, be considered as disassembly - which in turn may be judged as a either a breach of their license agreement or a violation of their intellectual property rights.

I am not YYG, so I will leave this topic open to their verdict.

#31 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Security is an issue that we will be working on beofre we release gmbed to everyone to make sure games can't be run without the user knowing. the certificate at the start that you have to accept does this as long as you didn't say always trust this publisher. YOYO instant play could be used for a virus type application aswell.

I assume they will object to advertisement of this Java app on what is their official Game Maker developer's forum.

Then I suggest people bookmark my own forum :D this is perfectly legal (I checked).

#32 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

Java apple downloads an executable and runs it

Apple :D

I consider your project a solution for running online games a copy of what YYG already has:

YGG doesnt embed it. They launch it as a separate window.

I will be sad if YGG decides to ruin your project.

We can always bookmark this topic. They will probably just lock it instead of deleting it.

Edited by Revel, 30 March 2008 - 11:30 PM.

#33 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

So would I but it wouldn't be a first tho :D

Edited by TGMG, 30 March 2008 - 11:31 PM.

#34 Ark-47

Ark-47

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

This is really nice, good job.
Super Smash Brothers Battle A.I: Check it out!
I'm Loyal to Satan, Chuck Norris, Jesus Christ, Homer Simpson, Mark Overmars, Fidel Castro, Buda, Bill Clinton, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Lord Voldermort, Milli Vanilli, Chuck Norris (he's just too good to be named just once), Hannah Montana (Satan with a little girl suit).

#35 bobhoil

bobhoil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1606 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

lol can't wait to see this come along further. Also is there a way where you could adjust the size depending upon the game. Use javascript along with the java or just the java to adjust the black rectangle depending upon the size of the game being loaded?

300x50.png 

Check out my website at: BobHoil.com

#36 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

@Ark-47 - Thank you :huh:

@bobhoil - Yeah I will be working on a system where the game calls the javascript depending on room size. So it would resize the ***** when a room is changed :D

#37 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

This general attitude is juvenile and doesn't recognise that YYG has millions of dollars invested and sometimes needs to protect it's investment.

So would I but it wouldn't be a first tho

How many YEARS have you and others been promoting G-Java (and now G-Flash) as a viable alternative to GM. How many people actually use either as a viable alternative to GM.

Show me one website where someone is using either product as a game development platform. A lot of people have asked for GM games to be web enabled, for years people have responded to use G-Java (and now G-Flash). Do you think these people were disappointed and feel they were mislead?

Some of these products and over-zealous promotion can damage GM, especially when promoted on pages owned and operated by YYG. It is amazing that after what 4-5 years of promising people, and you still are not even close to delivering, that you haven't realized that yet.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#38 TonyBase

TonyBase

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

This is the future of Game Maker games. We desperately need to get this working. I can see this thing replacing flash games in the long run. Absolutely great.

#39 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

This general attitude is juvenile and doesn't recognise that YYG has millions of dollars invested and sometimes needs to protect it's investment.

The same could be said for microsoft and linux :D Its not a juvenile attitude at all, competition is a good thing.

Do you think these people were disappointed and feel they were mislead?

No, we have always publicly stated how far along the project is.

It is amazing that after what 4-5 years of promising people, and you still are not even close to delivering, that you haven't realized that yet.

You know nothing about it, do you think that it doesn't take very long to create your own game maker to rival game maker? Thats what we had to do right after we had the gml parser done so it put off the project by about a year.

Anyway this works and I don't think anyone cares what NakedPaulToast thinks, if you don't like it don't use it. I has fun making this and knew some people would critisise it which makes it more fun. I enjoy making new exciting things to change GM and a few users don't like change.

@TonyBase - Thanks!

Edited by TGMG, 31 March 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#40 bob799

bob799

Cheesemaster

• GMC Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

Isnt working for me

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05
Using JRE version 1.6.0_05 Java HotSpot™ Client VM
User home directory = D:\Users\Bob799

Error: ri.B(false) client.F(70) na.V(-6549) | ri:59 client:227 na:213 na:550 java.lang.Thread.run | java.lang.NullPointerException
error_game_crash
Shutdown complete - clean:false
java.lang.NullPointerException
at gmembed.Main.paint(Main.java:335)
at gmembed.Main.init(Main.java:76)
at sun.*****.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
GM7plugin: true
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.io.tmpdir read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission
(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unk
nown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unkn
own Source)
at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
at gmembed.Main.init(Main.java:84)
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.io.tmpdir read)
(Unknown Source)
nown Source)
own Source)
(Unknown Source)
nown Source)
own Source)
(Unknown Source)
nown Source)
own Source)
(Unknown Source)
nown Source)
own Source)
(Unknown Source)
nown Source)
own Source)

#41 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

@bob799 - What web browser?

#42 coolsmile

coolsmile

Programmer

• 1346 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

Wow, this is amazing. Very nice work :D
I'm really looking forward to its release!

#43 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

So would I but it wouldn't be a first tho

How many YEARS have you and others been promoting G-Java (and now G-Flash) as a viable alternative to GM. How many people actually use either as a viable alternative to GM.

Show me one website where someone is using either product as a game development platform. A lot of people have asked for GM games to be web enabled, for years people have responded to use G-Java (and now G-Flash). Do you think these people were disappointed and feel they were mislead?

Some of these products and over-zealous promotion can damage GM, especially when promoted on pages owned and operated by YYG. It is amazing that after what 4-5 years of promising people, and you still are not even close to delivering, that you haven't realized that yet.

You have to be the most obnoxious idiot that thinks he is better than anyone on the GMC.

HAY CAN U LPZ MAEK A GDP/GM-VB/DELPHI/ASM/MY BIOS/JAVA FOR ME PLZ 5 MINZ MAX?

No, what hurts GM is when the creators (AKA Yoyo), on purpose, ruin the project by doing something stupid. TGMG would be much further in G-Java if YoYo wouldn't have been stupid and destroyed the work of someone who only was trying to HELP GM, I mean, Come on, TGMG was even limiting functionality to non registered people...
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#44 AvibeGames

AvibeGames

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

I consider your project a solution for running online games a copy of what YYG already has: it downloads / stores the runner seperately and then retrieves only the game data part. You advertise with download speed gaining massively by not having to download the runner part in GM 7 - well, the Instant Play feature from YYG offers that for 5.3a, 6.1 and 7.

They do offer online play but restricted to their site and branded. I understand their intentions with advertisements. I'd have no problems to put my game on their site to play via InstantPlay but this plugin allows us to embed the games on our own site without the YoYoGames branding which is something many people look forward. It even embeds the games on the webpage, something that InstantPlay doesn't do.

Security is an issue that we will be working on beofre we release gmbed to everyone to make sure games can't be run without the user knowing. the certificate at the start that you have to accept does this as long as you didn't say always trust this publisher. YOYO instant play could be used for a virus type application aswell.

In the case of other applications your Java apple downloads an executable and runs it. That may sound as a nice plugin to run just about any Windows executable from a browser, but this also makes it a browser-embedded trojan. Be careful in what 'games' you play.

In that case, installing the Java runtime environment itself is installing a virus. Any .jar can execute malicious code much like an .exe. Sun introduced the publisher verification dialog for a purpose.

As YYG has a commercial interest in people using Instant Play, I assume they will object to advertisement of this Java app on what is their official Game Maker developer's forum. Also keep in mind that your seperation of runner and game data may, in a strict interpretation, be considered as disassembly - which in turn may be judged as a either a breach of their license agreement or a violation of their intellectual property rights.

This is true. I'd suggest keeping the executable intact rather than splitting it. I don't mind that extra Mb. There are Flash games larger than 2Mb.

#45 bob799

bob799

Cheesemaster

• GMC Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:30 AM

I'm using IE7 on Vista

#46 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

it works for me, FireFox on XP.

#47 Mark Overmars

Mark Overmars

Game Maker Creator

• GMC Elder
  • 805 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

I am sorry to say that what you are doing is actually illegal. You are not allowed to split the game executables and get the data out of it and download only that part. According to the license agreement you are not allowed to changed the game executables.

I am not commenting here on the project in general. Just on the fact that you are only downloading the data part of the games. That is not allowed.

B.t.w. it would be very easy for YYG to embed the games in the website. The reason we did not do that is that it would put restrictions on the size of the window that is used in the game (because it has to fit in the layout of the game page) and it would no longer allow changes of the game play window. As we want our tool to be generic we decided to run the games in a separate window.

Mark
Mark Overmars, YoYo Games, www.yoyogames.com

Twitter:
twitter.com/mark_overmars
Check out my book The Game Maker's Apprentice
Buy my iPhone/iPad/Android game Super Snake HD

#48 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

As far as I can see there is no difference between this and Instant Play other than that this a-pplet embeds the EXE in the browser window instead of just running it as usual (which is what Instant Play does). If this is the case, Instant Play can be abused to be just as dangerous as this a-pplet. Infact I still can't believe Instant Play is being used on YYG, unless there is something about Instant Play that I'm missing that somehow makes it secure...

Edited by OpticalLiam, 31 March 2008 - 04:25 PM.

#49 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

As far as I can see there is no difference between this and Instant Play other than that this a-pplet embeds the EXE in the browser window instead of just running it as usual (which is what Instant Play does). If this is the case, Instant Play can be abused to be just as dangerous as this a-pplet. Infact I still can't believe Instant Play is being used on YYG, unless there is something about Instant Play that I'm missing that somehow makes it secure...

Instant Play is restricted to Game Maker games. This means you can't upload any other application. The site also scans the game for viruses. And the ActiveX component is signed, which means that it verifies that there have been no modifications to it since it was published by YoYo Games. While no guarantee for 100% security, this seems to me a lot more secure than any Java app that just downloads and runs any executable.

#50 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Instant Play is restricted to Game Maker games. This means you can't upload any other application. The site also scans the game for viruses. And the ActiveX component is signed, which means that it verifies that there have been no modifications to it since it was published by YoYo Games. While no guarantee for 100% security, this seems to me a lot more secure than any Java app that just downloads and runs any executable.

GM games can still be made very dangerous, plus the fact that it allows you to use DLLs, I think it's just as bad. I'm also guessing it's (pretty easilly) possible to fool any 'virus checkers' and the Instant Play system into running regular EXEs posed as GM creations.