Samurairailroadmansion-need Feedback

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurkies

Lurkies

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

Hello world! I'm new here but I've been using game maker for a while. I recently made a game which uses external resource loading (a 11mb package) and has a 8mb .exe. It loads all the sprites and background in a loadroom which comes at the beginning of the game, then transfers to a main playroom which switches between 4 states(startscreen, intro/cutscene, play and gameover) when certain conditions are met. I've tested the game on different computers with different configurations, and all seemed to be ok, but some people have been experiencing a freeze during the first intro screen. I wonder what would cause this, the only thing I could think of is the loading of mp3(which are included in the .exe)that happens during the begin step event of the main control object. Anyways, the game is here(edited-now on host-a, thanks for the tip Loopstan):
SamuraiRailroadMansion
Filefront Mirror
As I am beginning work on a new project, which will also make heavy use of art, I am trying to learn as much as possible about pipelining resources to allow most computers to play it. So any help, advice and feedback is welcome!

Edited by Lurkies, 01 April 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#2 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

PLEASE Host this somewhere else! It takes me 8 minutes til i can download. If your giong to release your game, it needs to be user freindly. Here are a few sites i suggest:
http://Host-a.net
http://box.net
http://willhostforfood.com
http://64digits.com

If you do this people will actualy reply with good things, rather than saying what im saying. Once i can download it, i will edit or post my reply on how i think it went.

Edited by LoopStan, 30 March 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Lurkies

Lurkies

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

I updated the download link to Host-a(first post).
Here are screenshots(I just read the post on getting replies :D ), as you can see, I'm using large pictures as image_index. You use the arrow keys to move left-right, center is up or release. Use 'z' to attack, but beware, if you kill innocents you will lose honor(life). There are 8 stages, which start over (with faster animations and different enemy patterns) when you beat the last one. The game was done for the tigsource vgng competition, in a very short amount of time. I had to learn a lot of gml to make the deadline, but I would like to optimize it even more. This is version 1.02.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

lovely!

well presented,...and loading images in a splash screen? from a .7z file!? useing another executable!?! well done!

#5 Nixa

Nixa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 497 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

this game is AWESOME... 10/10

Any questions related to GM? PM me ;)

Sudoku Puzzles [Download]

#6 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

for object Loading_Engine:

Failed to initialize loading engine
Jmds8UL.png

#7 Lurkies

Lurkies

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

for object Loading_Engine:

Failed to initialize loading engine

Look in the SRM folder. You should see 7za.exe, run.dll, srm.7z and srm.exe . Removing 7za.exe causes the bug you reported, so that might be it. Please let me know if that's the case.

#8 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

I didn't remove anything.
Jmds8UL.png

#9 fogger

fogger

Clockwerk Studios

• GMC Member
  • 430 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

I just got around to playing it, and the memory consumption doesn't help (I only have 256 mb of memory, yeah I suck), okay that was biased, the gameplay is fun and the graphics is god-damn-sweet, however the actual experience makes it feels like an minigame that has been stretched, like one of those WarioWare games you would play, maybe if you add a few more things(blocking, or even jumping) and even a sword sprite other than the player picture, make it motion blur or maybe something around that, thats just my two cents, you can disregard my opinions as I don't have enough experience in rating games.

8/10....nice but makes me feel like it needs more.

And I still can't get over the bloody graphics! thats sweet!

~Pr0n

#10 Lurkies

Lurkies

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

I didn't remove anything.

Actually, someone I know tried the game yesterday and got the same problem(same crash). I know it has to do with 7za.exe (the 7zip command prompt), and he has a pretty recent intel core computer, which, I guess from your signature, you also have. I'm looking into it, maybe it needs a different version of the exe or dll.

#11 james mihaly

james mihaly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:02 AM

Looked really cool, except my computer's crap! I can't even play the game; the game froze my computer.

#12 StupidStudios

StupidStudios

Evil Spambot

• GMC Member
  • 270 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Sweet! I totaly like it! It's easy to learn and it's getting nice and hard when you play it a while. I love the graphics, Almost even more than the game itself.