Dll source included
13 tutorial files (More to come) Last file is the merge file
From introduction to platform to top down use
GM7 Only for now, until I fully release it
v 0.2 BETA. Please test it out
Read the Info in each tutorial files. Each file is different in what it demonstrates or teaches.
Node path finding is complementary to A* path finding. Setup properly, and using the included DLL, you may even surpass GM's m_grid_path system (which is pretty efficient)
Why use nodes?
Well, consider an AI that needs to go to a destination. Using mp_grid_path and a grid set up, this is doable but there are a few problems.
1) Depending on your setup, mp_grid can actually be quite slow, especially if the path to the destination is complex with lots of twists and turns.
2) Consider a destination that is moving (such as a bus the AI needs to take) or the point that leads to a destination is moving… Such as if the way to the island is through a boat…mp_grid path cannot work efficiently in those situations.
3) Consider the cost of traveling to a destination… Would taking the bridge 3 miles away be faster or would taking the ferry be the best option.
4) Consider a platform AI… Can mp_grid be used in that setup? Well, yes, it can. But again, major work is needed in the AI. Using a node system you can easily locate the enemy and travel to jump spots on platforms. Or create a path that actually makes sense in a top down setup.
5) Consider that in some cases you cannot travel back from where you came using the same route because the route you came through is a one way street...
When you are done with the tutorials, you'll be able to create smart moving AIs for top down or platform…
I swear, you be able to make a AI walk from the office to the store, buy a loaf of bread, take the bus or its car home. Figure out the fastest way to get there and get there LOL… Well I hope…
I'm still working on tutorial files 14 to 20 which by then should cover all the uses of the dll.
Meanwhile check it out and see if everything is working right and tell me of any helper script you would like me to add.
I have a typo whivh will yield this error
ERROR In script NodeAssociateWith:
Error in code at line 32:
while(object_get_parent(baseparent2) <> AllNodesObj)
at position 26: Unknown variable baseparent2
The declare above that code has the typo
remove the d...
Untill I update this, if I ever do.
Edited by icuurd12b42, 25 January 2012 - 10:56 PM.