Fire Emblem Strategy Engine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drakona#5

Drakona#5

GMC Member

• 795 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi guys, after a long break I'm back and I'm sure most of you remeber me as the guy who would scrap projct after project. Now I have taken about 6 months to learn a bit of GML and I think I'm ready to tackle this next project.

Okay so technically for you Fire Emblem fans this may be similar but, I'd say it will be more like tactics core with some abilities. I have the sprites I'll use for the WIP that really suck by my standards. What I really need help with though is how to calculate damage. I've looked into several but they all seem to collapse if I think about how to implement them. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Drakona#5, 15 March 2008 - 03:20 PM.

#2 Enkidu

Enkidu

GMC Member

• 315 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

Can you tell us what kind of damage calcs you've already looked at and why you don't like them? I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem. There are a bunch of ways to do damage. I suppose the easiest way (I'm a beginner, so this is how I would approach it first) is to assign health (or hit points) to anything that CAN be damaged, (such as a person, or a bulding) and take those hit points away with bullets, or a bomb, or some other such weapon. Each weapon takes away a certain fixed number of hit points, or there's a range (bullets do 1 - 2 damage, rifles do 5 - 8 damage, etc.)

There's also something I call "area specific damage" (I can't think of the real term for it), but it just means that you assign certain attributes to specific parts of the body (or building, or vehicle, or whatever). If you shoot someone in the head, they die right away, whereas if you shoot them in the leg, they are wounded, but they're still dangerous.

What is it that you're looking for, exactly?

#3 Drakona#5

Drakona#5

GMC Member

• 795 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Evrything on the field will be assigned hit points no matter what. Though when I try to create a system and a problem arises it collapses like this.

Health: Dictates amount of Hp
Wisdom: Dictates amount of Mp
Strength: Dictates Amount of Damage
Endurence: Amor Check plus number of spaces aloud to move per turn
Speed: The amount of tames your aloud to move per turn

But when I add in dice or random number it doesn't work like it's is intended.

#4 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

The obvious answer would be to just not have random variables. Final Fantasy Tactics did this, it also skipped having a defense stat and that worked perfectly.

If you don't want to cut corners though, you could try something like:
hp-=(.75*other.atk)+random(.5*other.atk)-def

it would still really help to know how exactly the formulas are collapsing and how they work at the moment. (what's your current equation/s and what are the results?)

#5 Drakona#5

Drakona#5

GMC Member

• 795 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

technicall ((((Strength + Endurence)divided by 2)-Endurence divided by 2)-total Hp)

Sorry its not in GML I need to go look up exactly what I coded

I think I found my mistake time to go check my engine.

Edited by Drakona#5, 15 March 2008 - 06:04 PM.

#6 Kilik 64

Kilik 64

Fire Emblem King

• 917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

If it helps, Advance Wars is also in this genre of games. Fire Emblem and AD are known as strategy RPGs. However, AD is more strategic, while FE is more rpg. This is due to the fact that the instead of drawing on characters with preset stats like in AD, FE has a limited number of characters you recruit thoughout the game that can grow and bcome stonger. When you have this uber knight with stats far to your enemy's 20 knights, it becomes less tactics and more "RAWR knight smash!!!" sort of thing.

All of the calculations used in FE can be found at Serenes Forest. If you want help for this, you should refer to this as a medival version of Advance Wars instead of Fire Emblem. It will help people get you more of what you want.

If you use FE calculations, it should be petty easy, since you'll probably be using generic characters from a certain set of classes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users