Pokemon Battle Scene

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phyoke

Phyoke

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

I'm making a Pokemon game, and I need some help. How do you make your character come in contact with a Pokemon or Trainer and have Game Maker go to a battle scene (like in the handheld Pokemon games)??

#2 xshortguy

xshortguy

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4322 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

1. Develop a room
2. Develop a battle sequence
3. Develop the code to transition to the room, start the battle sequence, and then return to the room at the same coordinates.

#3 Phyoke

Phyoke

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

1. Develop a room
2. Develop a battle sequence
3. Develop the code to transition to the room, start the battle sequence, and then return to the room at the same coordinates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never thought of that...I'll try it.

#4 Phyoke

Phyoke

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone know how to make a health bar and an Exp. Points bar for each Pokemon? Please? :)

(Thanks for the help, xshortguy)

Edited by Phyoke, 07 March 2008 - 04:26 PM.

#5 Khelder

Khelder

GMC Member

• 2018 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

1) Store the info in an array (put a new item each time you catch a Pokémon)

2) use the draw_healthbar(..) command

#6 Enkidu

Enkidu

GMC Member

• 315 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

Does anyone know how to make a health bar and an Exp. Points bar for each Pokemon? Please? :(

(Thanks for the help, xshortguy)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or anything, but have you tried the tutorials? There's an online tutorial for making a scrolling shooter and I believe there's a healtbar in that tutorial. It might help you apply it to your game.

Just a suggestion.

You can find that tutorial here: http://www.yoyogames.../make/tutorials

Look for the one called Tutorial: Creating a Scrolling Shooter. The healthbar is in that tutorial. I have not done this yet (I'm still VERY new at this), but I would imagine that a health bar is similar to an experience bar. With a Health Bar, it diminishes over time (or when you get hit, or if you drink poison...whatever reduced health.) By the same token, you can restore health with a potion or over time, etc. I'll bet an experience bar could work the same way. My point is that by learning how to do the health bar, you might also learn the experience bar and kill two birds with one stone!

(I hope I'm right about this....I was a bit wordy for someone that really doesn't know what he's talking about yet....) :)

#7 matthew3447

matthew3447

GMC Member

• 1453 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

Your pretty much right, and your not being mean or anything.
The topic starter wont try anything, yet people are helping him.

#8 Phyoke

Phyoke

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

The computer I have is super-protected, and won't let me open the tutorial, so I haven't been able to read them. I think that I've figured out how to make the health and Exp. bar, but my way is really complicated and I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

matthew3447, I agree with what you say about Enkidu not being a smart aleck, but when you said "The topic starter wont try anything, yet people are helping him.", was that an insult?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users