• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, erthgy. As this is a sports game, I don't really see where weapons would fit in. You should try the Harmonic Resonance Gun talent though, it's kind of like a weapon.

Also what's wrong with the AI? On higher difficulties, they will play very well and give you plenty of challenge. If you have suggestions to make the AI better, please let me know! :D

#32 Dude_sWeden

Dude_sWeden

Making Problems

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:24 AM

Great game! Its was realy intense and it kept me playing for a while! And nice graphics (but it lagged on the "special" arenas, options for effects?).

Some suggestions:

The weapon is not pointing at the mouse. And I'm looking at the player to see where I aim, so it gets frustrating... I find it hard to look at the mouse to aim. Maybe you should change the mouse cursor, to maybe two lines pointing away from the player at the mouse position? That way when looking at the mouse it will be easier to know where the player is. Do you get what I mean?

I also didnt' like that the AI is to precise (like the movement). The AI was able to look back in a one step (like hitting me) and then looking forward again (and repeating that), maybe limit the AIs direction change?

I newer liked holding the ball and shooting, when I held the ball I always wanted to throw it away. I think that you will like more drop the ball infront of you if you dont load it so much. And I also think that you should make some acceleration. That way you have some greater chance if you try to run away from the AI. Then like holding the ball will get more usefull.

Just some constructive criticism. It was nice and I'm looking forward for a new update! :D

Edited by Dude_sWeden, 03 May 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#33 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, Dude_sWeden! Your post is easily the most helpful feedback I've ever received for Deathball 2D so far! :D

The weapon is not pointing at the mouse. And I'm looking at the player to see where I aim, so it gets frustrating... I find it hard to look at the mouse to aim. Maybe you should change the mouse cursor, to maybe two lines pointing away from the player at the mouse position? That way when looking at the mouse it will be easier to know where the player is. Do you get what I mean?

Woah I can't believe I didn't notice the player sprite not facing the mouse! I'll be fixing it in 1.4 for sure. I like your idea for the mouse crosshair, I'll make a nice looking aiming arrow to show you where the player is (while you're looking at the crosshair). :whistle:

I also didnt' like that the AI is to precise (like the movement). The AI was able to look back in a one step (like hitting me) and then looking forward again (and repeating that), maybe limit the AIs direction change?

Yeah I see what you mean. One of my friends told me about the AI instantly hitting you away but I was too lazy to fix it. :mellow: It will be done in 1.4, don't worry.

I newer liked holding the ball and shooting, when I held the ball I always wanted to throw it away. I think that you will like more drop the ball infront of you if you dont load it so much. And I also think that you should make some acceleration. That way you have some greater chance if you try to run away from the AI. Then like holding the ball will get more usefull.

I had a hard time understanding this last part, but I'm assuming that you don't like shots. I'm the same way! Try doing what I do: Get rid of the ball by right click (Instant Shot), then hit the enemy away, then set yourself up for a volley. Also, the Volley Mastery talent is extremely awesome for a volley centered play style.

If you want to focus on shots though, there are many talents to improve them. I have found that with the right talents, you can easily get powerful shots off most of the time. However, I will be improving shot power in 1.4 to help a bit.

Thanks again for the awesome post! :whistle:
I hope version 1.4 will be much more fun for you! Expect it in 3-7 days or so.

#34 Dude_sWeden

Dude_sWeden

Making Problems

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, Dude_sWeden! Your post is easily the most helpful feedback I've ever received for Deathball 2D so far! -_-

I'm glad you appreciate it!

I had a hard time understanding this last part, but I'm assuming that you don't like shots. I'm the same way! Try doing what I do: Get rid of the ball by right click (Instant Shot), then hit the enemy away, then set yourself up for a volley. Also, the Volley Mastery talent is extremely awesome for a volley centered play style.

If you want to focus on shots though, there are many talents to improve them. I have found that with the right talents, you can easily get powerful shots off most of the time. However, I will be improving shot power in 1.4 to help a bit.

Thanks again for the awesome post! ;)
I hope version 1.4 will be much more fun for you! Expect it in 3-7 days or so.

Yea, I had not tested improving the shot talents and It was a bit easier now when I improved them! But what I meant by the first part was that "if I get rid of the ball" (either by right clicking or by left clicking and releasing it right away) the ball gets to far away (think of in soccer when you have the ball, you don't wanna kick it away to far if you are running with it). But I'm not sure if its will help the gameplay, but I think so.
And by the acceleration I meant that the players should have some more acceleration (not running at instant maxspeed). The movement will get smoother. Then the control of the player and the aim is more userfrendly, because the player is not as "jerky", its smoother.
And if you have acceleration then it will maby be easier to run away from the AI, because with acceleration you can get some advantage if the AI is not running in the same direction, the AI needs to "turn around" (situations like in soccer when a free man is running against the opponents goal can occur easier). And then also opposite can occur. The game becomes more dynamic and hopefully more players will appreciate the shots.

And I saw one more thing now to improve the dynamics of the game. I think that when you volly a ball you should take the speed of the ball into account. Because right now if I volly the ball there is no differens by making a volly when the ball has no speed and when the ball is at high speed. Maby something like "ball.speed=ball.speed*0.25+volley_speed_add" when hitting the ball, now the ball will keep 1/4 of its previous speed. You can probably apply things like this in other places.

If the game is more dynamic then there will be more variations, like right now you need to act in some specifics manners to goal.

Much text so I will summary: I meant adding acceleration (I dont know how much maby low acc or high, test it!) for players and adding something like the code I gave you.

I hope it's not too much and that it's not to hard to do this. And if you dont feel that it will fit in the game you don't need to implement it. :)

Keep on doing great! ;)

#35 Shadeplay23

Shadeplay23

GMC Member

• 470 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

@Shadeplay23
Thanks so much for the review, I really appreciate it! By the way, were you playing version 1.2? The difficulty has been greatly reduced in 1.2, and I don't really see how I can make it any easier without making the easy AI a free win. Also, did you take the tutorial and place all your talent points?

Yes I did. I have version 1.2.
But now I'm getting better at it, so I guess nevermind. -_-

#36 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

Heres a review:

Graphics: 9.5/10
Sounds: 9.6/10
GamePlay: 9.7/10

Total Score: 9.6/10

Improvement Suggestions:
Maybe 3v3 matches

Comments:
Nice game you have there. It kept me playing for long, I got used to it too. The 3v3 match is my only suggestion.

#37 Maxinston

Maxinston

Epic Phail

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

You're topic name looked like Deathworm 2 thats the only reason i'm here -_-, no but seriously you're game is pretty cool

#38 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Woah, lots of comments! I'm glad people are starting to notice the game :(

@Dude_sWeden

Yea, I had not tested improving the shot talents and It was a bit easier now when I improved them! But what I meant by the first part was that "if I get rid of the ball" (either by right clicking or by left clicking and releasing it right away) the ball gets to far away (think of in soccer when you have the ball, you don't wanna kick it away to far if you are running with it). But I'm not sure if its will help the gameplay, but I think so.

Shot power will be increased in 1.4 so it should be easier to score with shots. As for being able to drop the ball right in front of you, that would make it imbalanced. There would be no point to shots if you could instantly drop the ball in front of you and then volley it. What I do is shoot it at the wall so that the rebound comes right back at me. While it's coming to me, I have time to push the enemy away so that I can get a clear volley when it gets to me. Try that out and let me know what you think :D

And by the acceleration I meant that the players should have some more acceleration (not running at instant maxspeed). The movement will get smoother. Then the control of the player and the aim is more userfrendly, because the player is not as "jerky", its smoother.

I see what you mean about acceleration but I feel that it would reduce the control you have over the player. Like in Unreal Tournament, you're at max speed at all times which gives you tons of control of your character. With acceleration, tackling would be overpowered because you would have no chance to get back into position.

And I saw one more thing now to improve the dynamics of the game. I think that when you volly a ball you should take the speed of the ball into account. Because right now if I volly the ball there is no differens by making a volly when the ball has no speed and when the ball is at high speed. Maby something like "ball.speed=ball.speed*0.25+volley_speed_add" when hitting the ball, now the ball will keep 1/4 of its previous speed. You can probably apply things like this in other places.

This is a pretty good idea! You seem to have a lot of awesome ideas :GM009:
I'll see what I can do to add some momentum to the volleys without unbalancing it.

Thank you again for your helpful feedback! I was actually planning to stop at version 1.3 until your first post. You've been so helpful that I just had to make a 1.4 :GM009:

@Shadeplay23

Awesome! Glad to hear you're getting the hang of shots. You should try out version 1.4 when it's ready because it will include shot power improvements! :(

@frosty10001

Thanks for the review! :GM023:

3v3 matches were something I was considering earlier, but it just seems like a ton of work. Not to mention, it would greatly overcrowd the small maps. I just don't see 3v3 working, sorry. =/

@pepolshet

Haha, thanks! :P

#39 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:21 AM

Also what's wrong with the AI?

It seemed sort of simple that all it did was follow the ball's y co ordinance (thankfully, the x coordinates were locked though ::lmao::).

Of course, I am very sorry to say that I didn't play the whole game, but if you look at any of the new Mario sports games for the Wii, you will notice that there is a bit more than just two players on each team. The reason I thought weapons would fit is like in Gears of War... You could get up close and wack-em up, (out of your way, of course) or just use different powers and bullet types (rocket launcher, sniper) perhaps these could be implemented on the ball object, and only some weapons effect the enemy (or you). That would make the AI a bit more complicated :).

#40 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

Erthgy, I admit that the AI does simply follow the ball even though it's not the most direct route, but I just don't see it being a big problem. All 4 AI difficulties seem very balanced, and I've actually mostly got complaints that the AI is too strong! =P

Also I just can't see weapons working in a sports game, you know what I mean? Weapons would work for a Top-Down Shooter obviously, but this is a Top-Down Sports game. I also apologize for the lack of players on each team. It would take a lot of work to add more, and would probably take away from the control that you have over the game.

If you have any other suggestions to improve the gameplay, please post them and I'll see what I can do!

Edited by Cronotek, 05 May 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#41 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hey everyone, I have created a second gameplay video for Deathball 2D! This one shows the new 2 player co-op feature! Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cAPm1Q99VBY

The footage is from an early build of version 1.4 so note that the final 1.4 (coming soon) will have more changes.
Enjoy!

#42 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:34 AM

New Version! (v1.4)

Version 1.4 is here! Dude_sWeden, please check out the new aiming features and let me know if they still need improvement. =)

Deathball 2D v1.4
Version Notes
=================

GENERAL:

- Player shot power has been increased.

- Added a slight delay before the AI hits you away when you get close.

- Improved the in-game crosshairs. An arrow pointing towards the player's position is now on the crosshair.

- Added a new AI difficulty: Insane. Avoid at all costs.

- Reduced health regeneration rate by 20%.

- Made some AI improvements with volleying off walls. They are now better at preventing your self-passes off the wall.

- Increased global shot power by 1%.

- Reduced the duration of the slow effect when you fire a weak shot.

- Increased the duration of the immobilize effect after a death.

- Brutal AI is slightly tougher.

- Improved the player sprites.

TALENTS:

Endurance - Reduced maximum health bonus per point from 15 to 10.

BUG FIXES:

- Fixed the player direction sprite to line up with the crosshair position.

- Fixed a bug where the right mouse button flag would get stuck, causing the ball to go through the player even when he/she isn't pressing the right mouse button.

- Fixed a bug where the enemy AI would sometimes score on its own net.

- Fixed a problem where the enemy AI could sometimes get stuck on the blue goalkeeper.

#43 Omans

Omans

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hey, I sent you a pm about possibly implementing a shootout mode for 1.5 (will there be a 1.5?). Just wondering if you think that's a good idea. I know I would have lots of fun with that, especially with the added multi player mode.

(edit) PS: if there isn't a 1.5 I will hunt you down and kill you...lol jk :P but srsly, make a 1.5

Edited by Omans, 11 May 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#44 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

A shootout mode seems like a neat idea! If there will be a 1.5, I will definitely add it. No promises though!

#45 Pear

Pear

GMC Member

• 119 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:58 AM

Looks cool!

#46 Dude_sWeden

Dude_sWeden

Making Problems

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hi, I where going to reply some days ago, but I haven't... Great to see that I helped you to continue!

Yea the new aiming is good. But I where thinking of two more separated lines (so they are not so tight togheter, increase the distance between them). But I don't know how you want it, its preaty good now.

Good that its improved now, but its kinda hard to see whats new. Because most of the updates is a change of numbers to make it more balanced. But good that you improve the AI!

I tested the practice mode and it seamed to me that you can't use your talens in there? I also tried to see if the ball keept some speed when vollying, you have not done anything like that?

It's still intense but I had hard to see the new stuff (I tested the new AI difficultys but it was to hard for me).

#47 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Yea the new aiming is good. But I where thinking of two more separated lines (so they are not so tight togheter, increase the distance between them). But I don't know how you want it, its preaty good now.

The way it is now, the lines actually help you aim your shot very precisely. I think it's pretty easy to see where your character is even if you're looking at the cursor most of the time. I will see what I can do to improve it to your liking though.

Good that its improved now, but its kinda hard to see whats new. Because most of the updates is a change of numbers to make it more balanced. But good that you improve the AI!

Well I fixed a few exploits that my friend discovered, so you probably can't see these improvements unless you used those exploits before =p.

I tested the practice mode and it seamed to me that you can't use your talens in there? I also tried to see if the ball keept some speed when vollying, you have not done anything like that?

Talents do work in practice mode, but not tutorial mode. What were you trying to test? Also yeah, the thing where volleys would keep speed didn't work too well. It caused a lot of imbalances, especially to the Volley Mastery spec, where it's all about slowing the ball down to get proper position. Sorry =/

It's still intense but I had hard to see the new stuff (I tested the new AI difficultys but it was to hard for me).

The new AI is just there for players who have absolutely mastered the game. I'm sorry that the 1.4 version didn't improve much for you. I wanted to get it released quickly so that you can enjoy the game with the fixed player sprite and new aiming arrow. I also didn't have anything big planned because 1.3 was originally going to be the final version until your wonderful post =D

#48 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Just a little update, version 1.5 is currently underway! So far it includes a windowed mode option and a few other changes. I would like to add a few more things before I launch 1.5, so please post ideas and suggestions! I'll be sure to read them and see if I can include them.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see some suggestions!

#49 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

New Version! (v1.5)

Version 1.5 has been released! New features include windowed mode, a new talent, and various shot improvements. Full details below:

Deathball 2D v1.5
Version Notes
=================

GENERAL:

- The game can now be played in Windowed mode. The option is found on the main menu.

- Tutorial level 1 has been altered.

- Reduced shot interrupt duration by approximately 15%.

- Player shot power has been very slightly reduced.

- Player shot charge rate has been increased.

TALENTS:

Recoil Dampener - Now reduces shot interruption duration by 25% instead of 35%. However, the shot interrupt duration with this talent remains the same due to the reduction in the base shot interrupt duration.

Energy Absorption - Removed.

Energy Focus *NEW* - Replaces Energy Absorption's position on the talent tree. Description: "Increases the power of your Instant Shots by 3/6/9/12/15% while you are not being interrupted."

BUG FIXES:

- Shot power bonuses were receiving a larger increase than intended, and it has been corrected.

#50 Hektik

Hektik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

One word, awesome.

This game is so addictive and challenging that it keeps me coming back for more.

Two suggestions:
  • make it playable online
  • add tournaments that unlock new things when you beat them
Keep it up, don't let this game die!

Edited by Hektik, 20 January 2009 - 05:31 AM.

#51 spacerat

spacerat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

Woot, I remember this!
It's good that you added easy/normal AIs, now I can actually beat it (although it's still quite hard, but that's my fault - I suck). I like the skills too, they make things a lot more varied and certainly add more replayability to the game. Edit: Urk, just realised the beta I saw had skills too, but the point still stands!
However I think it could do with player vs player multiplayer (I understand that can be quite hard though), and possibly a single player campaign.

... And maybe a level editor :)

Edited by spacerat, 22 June 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#52 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

@Hektik
Thank you for the compliments! I'm really glad you like the game :)

Version 1.5 was actually the last planned version, but there is still the possibility that I will come back to Deathball 2D and create some new content. Right now I'm busy developing a new title using my TDS-Engine.

An online mode is something that I have been wanting to add since the very beginning, but it simply turned out to be too difficult for me. If in the future there is more support for online functions, it will be my top priority.

@spacerat
Woah you were also the first to post in my beta thread! B) Also the beta version that you played didn't have talents yet, so you were right :P

As for the player vs player, I described my dilemma above ^
It's really unfortunate too, because online was the feature that I most wanted to add. :D Technically you can do a little player vs player in practice mode. Just set goalkeepers to 2P Control, and you can have a shootout on your friend's goalkeeper!

A level editor is such a great idea but I don't know how to make one :)

#53 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:13 AM

New Version! (v1.6)

This version contains some minor bug fixes, and a big balance fix to Instant Shots.

Deathball 2D v1.6
Version Notes
=================

GENERAL:

- The game help window no longer takes up the entire screen.

- Using an Instant Shot now disables your volley gun for 0.6 sec. If you were being interruped, it will be disabled for 1.2 sec.

TALENTS:

Volley Mastery - Now increases volley power by 3% instead of 2%.

BUG FIXES:

- Fixed a bug where the goal celebration effects could appear in
tutorial mode.

#54 FiLkAtA

FiLkAtA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 536 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Just wanted to tell you your game is nice. This is what all games should be like - well executed original ideas.

~F

#55 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5201 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I played this a while back while scanning through the Yoyo site...only just saw the thread, so i thought it'd be worth congratulating you on a great game.

#56 n00bkilla

n00bkilla

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

I apparently suck, i can't beat the tutorial. the one where you have to volley it in, the goalkeeper is godlike. argh...
also, the music is broken

Edited by n00bkilla, 21 January 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#57 Drhowell440

Drhowell440

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

ya i played this game a really long time ago on 64digits.com. this is the best sports game made in gm so far that i have seen. the graphics are great,sounds are great,gameplay is awesome. The only think left would be for you to make it online and then it would be in the top 10 gm games imo

#58 Hektik

Hektik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

I still play Deathball 2D to this day, it's so damn additive, the AI is amazing, the graphics are great, menus/help are fantastic, it's awesome.

You definitely gotta make a tournament mode and add multiplayer, that would be epic. ::lmao::

#59 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)
I really do hope to eventually make a version with Online play. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the available online Dll's, and the built-in mplay is too laggy for this kind of gameplay. Hopefully there will be better support for online stuff in the future versions of Game Maker.

#60 Cronotek

Cronotek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

New Version! (v2.0)

New features include a new map, a new AI difficulty, a new Co-Op mode, and many other improvements! Read the full details below:

Deathball 2D v2.0
Version Notes
=================

GENERAL:

- Added a new map! "Stadium" is a new mid-sized map which is a blend of SmallCube and Cube.

- Added a new AI difficulty called "Godlike". Do not challenge this AI unless you are an expert!

- Added a new goalkeeper mode called "2P Free". In this mode, the 2nd player controls the red goalkeeper, and is able to move anywhere on the map, rather than just up and down. Please Note: This setting is does not work in practice mode.

- The ball is now much smaller. Gameplay mechanics are MUCH different due to this change.

- To compensate for the reduced ball size, goalkeepers now have a larger collision box.

- Increased the red player's movement speed by 4%.

- Reduced global shot power by 8%.

- Reduced global volley power by 7%.

- Instant shots now only gain 25% of the player's shot power, instead of 30%.

- Firing an instant shot while being interrupted now disables your volley gun for only 1 sec instead of 1.2 sec.

- When the ball rebounds off a keeper, it now retains up to 15% more speed.

- All goal nets are now 4 pixels wider.

- Computer controlled goalkeepers now move slower before they react to shots/volleys.

- The map SmallCube is now slightly taller.

- Insane difficulty AI is now harder to knock back.

- Made minor changes to each AI difficulty.

- The game now uses an external dll file to control mouse clicks. This fixes some mouse problems while using a program to record footage of the game.

- There is now a preset talent profile in slot 1.

- Updated help file with the new features.

TALENTS:

Supercharge - Increased the shot charge speed bonus from 8/16/24/32/40% to 10/20/30/40/50%.

Titanium Plating - Now a 2 point talent: "Reduces all damage taken by 15/30%".

Recoil Dampener - Now reduces duration of interrupt effects by 10% instead of 25%.

Unstable Core - Increased power bonus from 15% to 20%.

Energy Focus - Now a 2 point talent: "Increases the power of your Instant Shots by 10/20% while you are not being interrupted."

Harmonic Resonance Gun - Reduced knockback. In addition, the knockback now also scales down with AI difficulty.

BUG FIXES:

- Corrected an issue where the player would gain a larger bonus than intended from the talent "Gravity Stabilizers".

- Fixed a bug where the enemy AI would be able to survive a tackle while in the red crease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users