135 replies to this topic

#1 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

Replies to topics in this forum are held to a high standard. Reviews must have a critique or suggestion for use to be approved. Read the rules here.

If this is a problem please PM me then! I dont mind at all! laugh.gif In fact I encourage it! biggrin.gif

• Title: Spark Engine
  • Description: A platform Engine.
  • GM Version: GM7
  • File Type: .gmk
  • File Size: .74MB
  • File Link: Download

Additional Info
This is a simple yet effective platform engine. Very user friendly and easy to implement into any platformer.
It was made for the generic platformer and is not tailored for any specific type. It has many features including:

Features:
Movement
Gravity
Jumping
Auto-Animating Tool
Wall Jumping
Double Jumping
Physics
SmartCam that can zoom, pan, view multiple objects, and rotate. Also acts as a cinematic camera.
Speech Bubbles
Player can reach speeds of up to 9999 without missing the collision between the player and the ground
Sound that pans and adjusts volume
Water and Ice
Great Platforms
Motion Blur
AI
With more to come! (He says then never updates)

Help make the Sparkengine AI! Details below.
Whats a command?
With the introduction of the AI comes a new concept, commands. Commands are things you can put in your AI script to tell it to preform an action. Commands take all the work out of having to type if place_free(x,y) ect. Commands compute everything they need to within the command. For example, the command_jump automaticly checks if the AI can jump and if not, if it can double jump.
What you can do!
I encourage you to make your own commands and PM them to me and it might be added to the Sparkengine! I want to make my Engine a bit more interactive by allowing evryone to contribute to it. I'm hoping this will greatly increase the AI's intelligance and in time with evryones help we may have a pretty experienced and advance AI!
Are there any rules?
Yes, all commands submited must meet these requirments:
-They must compute everything they need to inside the commands script. So you have to be able to have nothing but the command in a script and it should still work.
-Keep in mind I may edit some parts of your script, but only to improve it. You will still get full credit for it. If you don't want your script edited than just say so in your PM and it won't be edited. smile.gif
Other than that go wild! I hope to see some good turnout from this.
Need help on how to?
Check the Game Infromation, I've added a section on how to make commands and some tips when making them.
So whats in it for you?
Well, not only will you be contributing to making a great AI but you will of course have your name in the script! I give credit where it's due! wink1.gif

Controlls:
<up> Jump
<left> and <right> move/wall jump
<enter> talk
<T> Toggle on/off showing gravity pull direction
Num Pad is used to controll the camera (Explained in-game)
<Z> Shrink
<X> Grow
<C> Return to normal size

Update!!!
-Platforms have been added
-Introduced an AI
-Commands
-Motion blur
-fixed a lot of glitches
-go-through platforms

V1.3- Fixed major bug where if the player walked away from a speech bubble in a large room the game would crash. Floors now all act as platforms. Objects with gravity will move with the ground. It has been tuned so finely that I had a glitch where the platform spazzed out and when I jumped on it it appeared as though the rest of the world was spazzing out and the platform stood still. Thats how well the player stays on the platform! Motion blur has been added to movement. Animation room was added to show that the animation code could be used on non-player controlled objects. Added some room selection arrows so you can move from room to room easily. Added some things to the infromation page. An AI has been added to the engine by popular demand! The AI is basic and still needs improvment but it can do basic things such as jump over pits and jump up stairs and follow the player. Speech bubbles will destroy if something else is said by the same object like they should to increase framerate. Sorted out all the objects into folders. A glitch where when you get to far away from a sound the game crashes is fixed. Added a motion blur room after the trail room. Improved explosion collision. I also put in room captions. Added commands section to the infromation. Infromation will now be showed at the begining of the game. Added go-through blocks. For now they can only supporte one object at a time.

Is credit required?
Yes, credit is required. Just put something like "Made with the SparkEngine" or some sort of mention that it uses it if you use any of the scripts from the example.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!
I still need more ideas to fuel my engine! Post or PM me any suggestions, bugs, or ideas you have!
Now get posting, or I'll sick my guards on you!
medieval.gifmedieval.gifmedieval.gif

~Sparky B)

Edited by kristian221, 10 December 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Want a simple and effective PLATFORM ENGINE with TONS of fun features? Try my SparkEngine!
Want to see a game made with it? Check out my work in prgress When The Mouse Rebels!
Did I help you? If I did, PLEASE press this link: I helped you!

#2 freestyle

freestyle

GMC Member

• 174 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

very good engine.
the bad things about it were wen u hold left and right at the same time u walk right, u should make the object stop. and the walljumping was a pain. other than that it was gr8!

p.s u typed movement twice and incorrect

#3 TheSentience

TheSentience

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

Nice engine! I especially like the camera options. There's a lot of neat stuff that can be learned from this engine. Keep up the good work!

The only thing that wasn't quite working right was the stereo sound and distance/volume example. It seemed like the sound either played loudly, or didn't play at all. And the stereo seemed like it was backwards, in that when I was on the right side of the sound source, the sound played from the right speaker and viceversa.

#4 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

The stereo sound was backwards yes.. And if the wall jump it sort of waited and then jumped, it would be much easier. But other than that its an amazing engine :ph34r:
OH Balls!

Domain change: If any of my links do you not, please PM me and I will send you a working link :)

t3mp3st+Me+BMG = t3mp3st's edited avatar with changing colour effect.

#5 [M]edieval

[M]edieval

MediYama Games

• 600 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Great engine, I didn't encounter any bugs (though I had my speakers turned off). So many possibilities within the engine make it really awesome.

Sadly the sprites were not that nice though, but that doesn't matter for the engine of course ::lmao:: but it would turn people off.

#6 blobstah

blobstah

GMC Member

• 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Nice engine ::lmao:: but there were a few collision problems on walls on the left or right (u stay a few pixels away).

#7 rodrigoms

rodrigoms

GMC Member

• 101 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:02 AM

This is great though it would be better if you wrote a tutorial out besides making a example.

#8 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for all the responces! :lol: I guess mabey my speakers are backwords lol! I always wonder why when I paned to the right it went to the left speaker! :lol:

Nice engineĀ  but there were a few collision problems on walls on the left or right (u stay a few pixels away).

This is no glitch. Its just becuase the mask for the character is a bit larger that he is.

EDIT: Found out this was in fact, a glitch. Its a failsafe to prevent you from getting stuck in the walls. Ill be sure to work on that for the V1.02

Nice engine! I especially like the camera options. There's a lot of neat stuff that can be learned from this engine. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! ::lmao::

very good engine.
the bad things about it were wen u hold left and right at the same time u walk right, u should make the object stop. and the walljumping was a pain. other than that it was gr8!

p.s u typed movement twice and incorrect

The left and right thing will be an easy fix. The wall jumping is a pain I know but I'm working on it. It needs some major work. And I'm go good at spelling and I'm forgetful! :lol:

Now dont be shy! So many downloads and so little feedback! :lol: How about a rating?

Edited by kristian221, 03 March 2008 - 05:49 PM.

Want a simple and effective PLATFORM ENGINE with TONS of fun features? Try my SparkEngine!
Want to see a game made with it? Check out my work in prgress When The Mouse Rebels!

#9 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:30 AM

Update!!! :GM072:
Check the Updates section for details. (First post)
Just to let you know, turns out the staying a few pixels away from the wall is a glitch. I will try to fix it in a later update.

Hey! Update! Ive worked on all the things that youve said except the sound, Ill work on that in the next update. Please, someone write some reviews! Give me some feedback!

EDIT: If you dont want to wait for your post to get posted, please feel free to PM me! PLEASE!!! I really need some feedback! If I dont get anything else to put into the engine, then I wont really have anything to go off of! :skull:

Edited by kristian221, 08 March 2008 - 03:17 AM.

#10 MJGamesInc

MJGamesInc

GMC Member

• 365 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

wish you would have made a good AI in this... gues illl have to figure it out thanks..

#11 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

Check my sig, it has a link to darkbot in in, which has an example of an AI that could be made with this engine. Im afraid I cant give away the coding for it im afraid becuase it is my commercial game.

#12 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:03 AM

Oh, Im sorry, I dont have GM6 Registered. -_- If anyone could convert it to GM6 and PM it to be that would be really helpful! ;)

#13 King Killa

King Killa

<-- ?Which Way? -->

• 572 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Great engine. Maybe you'd be willing to add more.. slow motion powerups or something? :D

Good job though!

#14 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

I'm working on adding more than slow motion, Im working on adding Time Travel! This will take a long time though. Just keep those responces coming, I need some more ideas!

EDIT: btw, a quick and easy way to get slow motion is to make every speed divided by a factor such as speed_factor, along with everythings image_speed, and then raise the speed_factor and there you have it, slow motion! It may not look as nice as if you made slow motion sprites but it really simplifies things. For a more smooth look make all your sprites in slow motion and set their image_speed=2. When in slow motion make their image_speed=1. That will make a nicer effect for slow motion animations.

another EDIT: Well Ive decided something: Im not going to add reversing and fastforwarding time. I decided that it would vear to far away from the generic platformer and single code style of the sparkengine because it would require so many variables that are diffrent from object to object that you would have to practicly rewrite the entire code to get it to work for your game.

Edited by kristian221, 18 April 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#15 andrergsanchez

andrergsanchez

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

EDIT: btw, a quick and easy way to get slow motion is to make every speed divided by a factor such as speed_factor, along with everythings image_speed, and then raise the speed_factor and there you have it, slow motion! It may not look as nice as if you made slow motion sprites but it really simplifies things. For a more smooth look make all your sprites in slow motion and set their image_speed=2. When in slow motion make their image_speed=1. That will make a nicer effect for slow motion animations.

Wouldn't just adjusting the room speed achieve the same effect without the need for altering the code, beyond the part that adjusts the room speed?

#16 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

Wouldn't just adjusting the room speed achieve the same effect without the need for altering the code, beyond the part that adjusts the room speed?

Well it would work yes, but it would look awful as it slows down the entire game. The sprites would look laggy as would the rest of the game.

#17 Bonko876

Bonko876

GMC Member

• 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

This is an absolute gem.
May I recommend being able to shoot a rope, grapple onto the wall and swing from it?

Bonko876

Edited by Bonko876, 26 June 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#18 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

Hey! Just updated it! The new updates main features are up in my first post, so be sure and check to see whats new with the Sparkengine! This engine is becoming quiet developed, so I am still hoping to improve it even further. So that means another update will be coming in the future! :D

#19 soslow

soslow

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

i got this error :medieval:

for object O_player:

Error in code at line 1:
spd+=.1

at position 1: Unknown variable spd

#20 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

Wow, I cant believe I forgot that. Wait, why were you pressing the insert key? :( lol, just kidding. It was something I was using to test the engine at diffrent speeds. I will just remove the <insert> and <delete> keyboard events in O_player. Thanks for telling me! :D

#21 Davey_the_gamer123456

Davey_the_gamer123456

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

Alright, this tutorial is absolutly BRILLIANT 10/10. this teaches everything you could need to know about platforming, but add ramps next update. :) but anyways, like i said befor, NICE JOB!

#22 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

Has anyone else gotten the glitch with the speech bubble?
I ask because I don't know if it is a glitch in the released version or if it was caused when I was editing it for the next version.

Edited by kristian221, 19 May 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#23 LoS

LoS

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

I havent.

Well, i got some ideas:

-Ramps (Suggested Before)

-Enemys (Both Goomba like (jump on to kill) and they shoot at you (Jumps/runs around and trys to get close to you, either to shoot or punch (But they only attack if you close to them or theres walls between each other, if they havent seen you).

-Springs (Make you fly high in the air ^^) --Dont make it just colide and fly, you must hit the way it face, and wait for it to get pushed down! seen alot of games where you just walk into them, and FOIING!--

-Holdable Springs (land, and they're down, but jump and get a boost)

-Chrush Block (Jump, press down, and get speed boost, hitting them will make them crumble, and you fly through)

-Hold objects (take a crate, walk with it, and drop or throw it again)

-Buttons (When standing on, or crate is on, theyre down, but leave them and they're up again) --Make it look realistic, your walking on it, not under!--

Thats all for now, i guess.

should keep you busy for some time :huh:

#24 Solidus

Solidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 556 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

One of the best engines I have seen for a platformer. The wall jumping was a bit of a pain when it came to tight spots (it's often better to have the player required to press UP and the directional arrow key to perform the wall jump). Also, the size thing was a bit buggy when you did it near a wall (you get stuck in said wall).

#25 tonton

tonton

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

first thing, GREAT ENGINE! but i did find a bug. i copyed the "soundwave" script into my game and when i moved to far away from the object making the sound, this came up.... :(

ERROR in
action number 2
of Step Event
for object enimy1:

Error in function log10().

for object enimy1:

please help with this!!!!!!!! :) oh, by the way, did i say this was an AWSOME ENGINE. B) keep up the good work! :GM024:

#26 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

I havent.

Well, i got some ideas:

-Ramps (Suggested Before)

-Enemys (Both Goomba like (jump on to kill) and they shoot at you (Jumps/runs around and trys to get close to you, either to shoot or punch (But they only attack if you close to them or theres walls between each other, if they havent seen you).

-Springs (Make you fly high in the air ^^) --Dont make it just colide and fly, you must hit the way it face, and wait for it to get pushed down! seen alot of games where you just walk into them, and FOIING!--

-Holdable Springs (land, and they're down, but jump and get a boost)

-Chrush Block (Jump, press down, and get speed boost, hitting them will make them crumble, and you fly through)

-Hold objects (take a crate, walk with it, and drop or throw it again)

-Buttons (When standing on, or crate is on, theyre down, but leave them and they're up again) --Make it look realistic, your walking on it, not under!--

Thats all for now, i guess.

should keep you busy for some time :P

Now there's some good feedback! :GM6: This will keep me busy yes! The next version should be ready for release sometime in the next few days so it will not be in that version, but I will work on it for the version after that! Thanks!

One of the best engines I have seen for a platformer. The wall jumping was a bit of a pain when it came to tight spots (it's often better to have the player required to press UP and the directional arrow key to perform the wall jump). Also, the size thing was a bit buggy when you did it near a wall (you get stuck in said wall).

Thank you! :GM048: The size growing thing is not a big problem because its just showing that things can be resized. I was just showing off that feature, it wasn't meant to be something used a lot, but I can make it so that you dont get stuck.

first thing, GREAT ENGINE! but i did find a bug. i copyed the "soundwave" script into my game and when i moved to far away from the object making the sound, this came up.... :(

ERROR in
action number 2
of Step Event
for object enimy1:

for object enimy1:

please help with this!!!!!!!! :GM069: oh, by the way, did i say this was an AWSOME ENGINE. B) keep up the good work! :GM024:

Hmmmm.......This one could take a while. I just learned about logs in school not to long ago so I should be able to figure out the problem but it could take a while, thanks for bringing it up! :)
EDIT:FIXED!!! Will be in the next version!

Im really happy about all the responces I have been getting and all the PMs! Keep them coming!
Because remember:
Coal is to energy as
Ideas are to games! :GM7:

Edited by kristian221, 20 May 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#27 Wyrd

Wyrd

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

The biggest problem I have had with a platformer engine was making a smooth, pushable box. Could you try and put a pushable item in their? One that you move into to push left or right, that falls if pushed off ledges, and that you can stand on. Don't forget the ability to put boxes on top of boxes.

#28 superjoebob

superjoebob

YM2612

• 1515 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

Great engine! Lots of features, and what really impressed me was the collision line idea, I dont think ive ever seen anything like it! Good job on this :)

Game Maker user since the beginning
Online Music Portfolio - High-Res Wallpaper
I speak before I think.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

Really? In a game I was making I was able to make a pushable object very easily. I may add that in later. For some reason the engine wont allow for stacking blocks, I don't know why, but I really need to fix that. The blocks will stack but if the player stands on them he cant move left or right, only jump.

Great engine! Lots of features, and what really impressed me was the collision line idea, I dont think ive ever seen anything like it! Good job on this

Thanks. The collision line idea came from when I was working on a platforming shooter and I needed the bullets to move fast and still destroy when hitting a wall. Then I started thinking about the player, what if they wanted the player to move at extreme speeds? I could treat the player the same way I would a bullet! The hardest part was making him hit the ground and not just know where it was. For some reason when I was testing its speed capabilities I found that the exact speed of 9999 was the max it could handle. I am not even going to bother fixing this because any speed over 9999 is just insane. Heck, any speed over 100 is insane but I just wanted to make sure :)

Edited by kristian221, 23 May 2008 - 05:18 AM.

#30 LoS

LoS

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

When will next version be released?

#31 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

Hopefuly sometime tommarow. Heres a little sneak peak at the features that will be included:
V1.3- Fixed major bug where if the player walked away from a speech bubble in a large room the game would crash. Floors now all act as platforms. Objects with gravity will move with the ground. It has been tuned so finely that I had a glitch where the platform spazzed out and when I jumped on it it appeared as though the rest of the world was spazzing out and the platform stood still. Thats how well the player stays on the platform! Motion blur has been added to movement. Animation room was added to show that the animation code could be used on non-player controlled objects. Added some room selection arrows so you can move from room to room easily. Added some things to the infromation page. An AI has been added to the engine by popular demand! The AI is basic and still needs improvment but it can do basic things such as jump over pits and jump up stairs and follow the player. Speech bubbles will destroy if something else is said by the same object like they should to increase framerate. Sorted out all the objects into folders. A glitch where when you get to far away from a sound the game crashes is fixed. Added a motion blur room after the trail room. Improved explosion collision. I also put in room captions.

So yes after being asked so many times to put in an AI I decided it was time. Please mind you it is basic so it only follows the player. I figure that should be good for now. It makes it easy to create your own AI because I have made a basic set of commands you can tell it to do. This set of commands will grow with future updates. Motion blur really makes things look nicer, makes them look more free moving, but on GM it looks kind of limited.
But in my opinion the coolest part of this next version is the platforms. If you have tryed the engine, you know how I I like things done: in one simple step. I like having only one thing for the user to type in or do to completly set everything up for them. Once again it delivers. Creating platforms is super-simple. Make an object, and set its parent as your ground object. Thats it, your done. You've made a platform! If the ground beneath your feet moves youll move in perfect harmony with it.

Also something big will come with the next version-commands. commands are actions for the AI to preform. Im going to have custom user made commands to increase the AIs inteligance so everyone can help contribute to the SparkEngine. Your name will also be in the script! So anyone can submit their custom made command and it may be in the next version of the SparkEngine! Full details will be revealed tommarow.

Hope you enjoy these things! Keep in mind the platforms get a little bugy when you hit the bottom of them, but Ill work on that later. The important things is the movement with the platform anyways.

Edited by kristian221, 23 May 2008 - 05:10 AM.

#32 LoS

LoS

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Woa, that sounds kinda neat!

What about the ultimate "SparkEngine Libary"!!!111oneone!!1?

So, normal lib, but gives you simple D&D codes for Walljump, AI, Water, Jumping, Controls and so?

Oh, and another idea: Mario type direction change (Turn on/off).
Basicly like in Armed With Wings, so, you start move slow, gains fast speed, and slides a little when changing direction, but then runs at full speed again, instead of building it up again.

THAT would be awesome!

Well, hope you make a lib, would make everything MUCH cooler, and SparkEngine Lib will be seen in all platformers :ph34r:

#33 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

UPDATE!!!!
NOW UNDER WAY- SUBMIT YOUR AI COMMANDS! THEY MAY GET ADDED TO THE SPARKENGINE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT!
V. 1.3 has been released! I would like to encourage everyone to submit to me (through PM) there custom made commands that may get put into the Sparkengine! I thought this was a great way for the users to get involved! :lol:
Im hoping for a lot of PMs to be coming my way soon! Get creative with it!
Check the First post for more infromation.

Woa, that sounds kinda neat!

What about the ultimate "SparkEngine Libary"!!!111oneone!!1?

So, normal lib, but gives you simple D&D codes for Walljump, AI, Water, Jumping, Controls and so?

Oh, and another idea: Mario type direction change (Turn on/off).
Basicly like in Armed With Wings, so, you start move slow, gains fast speed, and slides a little when changing direction, but then runs at full speed again, instead of building it up again.

THAT would be awesome!

Well, hope you make a lib, would make everything MUCH cooler, and SparkEngine Lib will be seen in all platformers

Glad you like the idea, hope you send in a command! The library thing sounds very interesting, I might do that sometime. And as for that mario type directional change Ive tried that. It worked fine, its just that I thought that the instant direction change gives the player more controll than the slowly change direction thing. If you want to know more about the history and background story of the Sparkengine Id be glad to share just ask! :ph34r:

P.S. Do you like the new layout of my first post? :blink:

Edited by kristian221, 23 May 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#34 LoS

LoS

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

Very Nice! Though, add something like an example on how to make an AI, seems very unexplained at the moment :blink:
Gonna make an Enemy AI :lol: (he stares at you!, and then - BOOM! death from a hamburger!)

Also, may i make a logo for SparkEngine? Oh, and one more thing.

Good job! :ph34r:

Well, everythings pretty much said, but still, i sugest slide movement, and one new thing:

ATTACK!

For guns: No combos, shoot the way you face, if it hits a wall/ground it disapear.
For Swords: Combos, like pressing "Attack" 3 times makes you go through 3 different animations, and attacks. A combo could be:

1: Slash - 1dmg
2: Thrust - 2 dmg
3: Uppercut - 3dmg AND knocks enemy in air.

That would be awesome :o

so, if you add an example on making AI, i will come with some fighting AI's and guard AI's, and prodably MUCH more AI's :P

(Alot of AI's, huh?)

//LOS

#35 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:56 AM

Well I didnt mean I wanted you to submit entire AIs, just commands. And as for AI programming its pretty strait forward, just check if the players above the AI and tell it to jump ect. And about that combo thing the funny thing is I just started work on that yesterday! It didnt go very far but I might work on it later. For now though all I really want some AI commands PMed to me! Im hoping to get some really good turnout from this!
As for the logo, I would want to see a sample of your spriting first because I already have a great graphics artist (well, not for the Sparkengine but it doesnt need graphics). The graphics for the Sparkengine are just quick 10 minute sprites so that it looks like well, something. I dont really care how it looks, what matters is how it works. Still I have been wanting to design a mascot for sparky games and use him in the engine.

Anyways, get to making some commands! Lets see just how intelligant this AI can get!

#36 Aero Games

Aero Games

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

when i try to download it, it says that the bandwidth is exceeded!? :lol:

so yeah, i'v got the earlier version, but it'd be cool to have this one. :) I'm depressed...

#37 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:11 AM

when i try to download it, it says that the bandwidth is exceeded!? :P

so yeah, i'v got the earlier version, but it'd be cool to have this one. :D I'm depressed...

Read directly above the download link please :P It says that the main download links are down until june 1st. Just use the mirrors.

EDIT: No commands submited yet. Is the idea a dud?

Edited by kristian221, 29 May 2008 - 08:35 PM.

#38 MyMinionsHaveFailed

MyMinionsHaveFailed

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

It's pretty good!

The water and ice could use some work though.
You could add some nice swimming (where you can move in all directions and maybe even slowly float upward slowly) instead of the cheap "walking underwater with unlimited jump" type swimming.
The ice just isn't slippery enough, you should slide when you land on it after jumping too.

Some things I'd like to see add:
~Moving Platforms that use paths.
~Switches - ones you touch to activate and ones that you activate by pressing a button.
~Crouching and Crawling.
~Dynamic jumping - This should be easy enough to add. What I mean by "dynamic" is you jump higher the longer you hold the jump button, releasing it makes you fall. This can really make or break a platformer.
~Getting Hurt from enemies/hazards(like spikes and such) - No Platform engine seems to have this, oddly.

I would also love to see a version of this engine without all the camera and growth/shrink stuff.
Also, more detail comments in the code would be nice. Some of it is pretty hard to follow and therefore hard to edit/use.

#39 gmaker4444

gmaker4444

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

wow this is realy good 10/10 ::lmao::

only thing.....(s)
when i grow i got trapped in the ground, :huh:
needs more comments
and
when i say something(not a problem) and says another thing the first bubble just lay under the second(the problem)

did i say that this is too nice and i love the AI :)

#40 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:10 AM

Hi everyone! I was thinking of completely remaking the Sparkengine! More comments, cleaner code, new graphics, perhaps a skelital system, more features, and overall better feel. I hope you all are anxious to get their hands on this new version, but it will not be out for quiet some time I'm afraid. :huh:

#41 Consoft

Consoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

Nice work on your engine, cuts us people with a little more knowledge some slack from writing from scratch.

Helps newbies excessively in determining the power Game Maker is capable of.

And also teaches the intermediate users a couple of new tricks.

Good work, I'm sure i'll use this is one stage or another. Also, I have a thing with "intros" like your alias at the start before the main menu and such (examples: ID software cinematic in their games before the main menu, epic software etc etc) and the more the merrier! So if you have a logo for the engine I would be grateful if you could please PM me it in case I do use this engine. If not ill simply make my own one for it, but will have an URL and your name on it.

Thanking you kindly.

Only suggested improvements:
Crouching seems to be a problem iwth beginners as they may not have sufficient collision knowledge
As above me said, the damage from enemies and hazards seems to be obsolete from all engines I come across
Multiplayer (Even though there are countless other 39DLL etc tutorials on the site :P)
Saying that, possibly on screen mutliplayer?

-KKG
19 / Australia. [GML/Java/C++] Known as kkg, HeXeN and elimzke as well.
Make games in GML, compile them in C++! http://www.enigma-dev.org [Windows/Linux/Mac]

KUICS Australia PTY LTD

#42 Thor The Thunderboy

Thor The Thunderboy

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Great Engine...Though I dont have GM7 Pro it was fun to play and I think well done(worked well)only 1 thing I dont understand...What was the physics section for?There were only some boxes and they did fall,and they wasnt pushable or anything...

#43 Aximili

Aximili

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

Nice engine, even though its a little "too Much" Since I have no play to make my own stuff T_T.

#44 blindess eater games

blindess eater games

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:41 AM

can't let the thread die out!!! I REALLY like this engine, i just found a kind of glitch in the "current" released version:

I'm not sure if thsi has been posted yet, but you you grow big you can't move. you have to jump in order to start moving, or jump while growning

thanks for reading this

--Frozyn from the blindness eater games
the blindness eaters

#45 Mutantspidergames

Mutantspidergames

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

I like everything about it, except, IT HAS NO WALK ALONG SLOPES!
You can't walk upwards a hill, the game thinks it's a wall, and I don't think I am making a platformer with only blocks on it.
Please include slopes support in the next version.
Otherwise, it was great.

#46 digidog08

digidog08

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

I AGREE, SLOPE DETECTION WOULD BE NICE
 Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 500 GB Hard Drive | Windows Vista Ultimate - Windows 7 - Ubuntu "Jaunty" - iPc MAC OSX 10
| 22' LCD Monitor | Vistablet 12" Tablet | 16x DVD - RW |

Software: Adobe Creative Suite CS4 | Blender 3D | 3DS Max | Mixcraft | Garageband | Game Maker 7 Pro | FLStudio 8 | Final Cut Pro |
I need a composer for my Game

#47 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:31 AM

This engine sounds great, but the link won't work for me. When I click to download, the link opens a window, but the window won't load. Any help?

Thanks, CubinJ
~spriter / programer for free~
You may have known me in my past life as CubinJ...

#48 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

I need help implementing the text bubble into my own games. I have the text bubble object set up and the scripts all set, just like in your engine. When I tested it with a press enter event, the room goes black and nothing happens. Could it be caused by the view or something else.

It would be appreciated if someone could help.

#49 Kylo

Kylo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

The title to this is misleading. I clicked it thinking it had something to do with particles or something. Could you please rename it so it's not so confusing?

#50 Potado

Potado

GMC Member

• 401 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

Can someone pls convert it to GM6 or something, I need to see this examples capabilities!