• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 random

random

completely random

• 798 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:07 AM

-- BARRAGE --

Barrage is a danmaku (literally "curtain fire") shoot 'em up.

Danmaku games are known for their extremely dense and difficult bullet patterns. Although Barrage contains only one enemy (the "boss"), it absolutely refuses to die, throwing a good 21 different attack patterns at you before finally exploding. (assuming, of course, you don't die first)

In addition, the game features three difficulty levels so that the inexperienced can get a good introduction to the genre while keeping the challenge for the veterans out there. Those new to the genre may consider starting on easy; those with experience can feel free to jump in with Normal (or even Hard).

In order to actually make the games possible, most danmaku games employ small hitboxes -- in Barrage, the area where you can get hit is literally 2 pixels by 2 pixels - the small dot in the center of your ship. In addition, bullets tend to move slower than in traditional shooters... These details make the game possible, but it's still by no means easy.

The attack patterns themselves are often works of art, beautiful, and ultimately deadly.

Finally, the game comes with extra features such as practice mode and the ability to import your own music to listen to while playing.

Controls:
Arrow keys: move
Z or Ctrl: shoot
Shift [hold]: slow mode (very important for precise movement through dense, slow-moving bullet streams)
Escape: pause/quit

DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK
-- DOWNLOAD -- my website --

MIRROR
-- MIRROR --

You may not know exactly how dense I mean when I say "dense". A picture is worth a couple thousand words. (click to enlarge)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Note: All of the screenshots were taken on the Normal difficulty! So these screenshots actually only represent about 70% of the maximum bullet stream you'll encounter. Good luck.

Please enjoy and leave comments!

~random

Edited by random, 28 February 2008 - 03:52 AM.

My avatar still changes every time you refresh.

Barrage , a "curtain fire" shoot em up.

http://www.randomdragoon.com

#2 PhiniusMAster

PhiniusMAster

GMC Member

• 311 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

Whoa, intense, how did you manage to all those instances to run smoothly with no lag!?

#3 random

random

completely random

• 798 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:51 AM

Whoa, intense, how did you manage to all those instances to run smoothly with no lag!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well most of the objects don't have any events at all. I just set the speed and direction at creation and let it go. For the bullets with more complex behavior, it is controlled through the boss object, using a couple of withs when needed.
My avatar still changes every time you refresh.

Barrage , a "curtain fire" shoot em up.

http://www.randomdragoon.com

#4 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:37 AM

Yes! A decent danmaku. Although the first 12 barrages were relatively easy on hard, except for a couple good challenging patterns. I keep getting stuck on barrage 13, even on easy... I'll definitely be playing it more though to beat it.

The lack of beautiful background patterns to complement the intricate bullet patterns really takes away from the visual appeal of the game. The spinning box and programmer art ship really didn't cut it either. But this is one of the few games were the game play really shines through and overcomes the lack of graphics.

Most of the sounds were alright, while a couple didn't fit. More variation in the sounds could've been put in to make it more interesting. I'm GLAD there wasn't any sound for the player firing though. Games that do that are annoying.

Well done job on this game. Some more polish could make this game really impressive.

Until next time, live dementedly.

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

Those bullet patterns are excellent! Good job with the creativity and artistic design; some are absolutely mesmerizing!

Unfortunately, some of the graphics didn't fit very well. The ship was nice, as were the bullets, but the enemy was just a grey square. I don't think you need anything complex with the enemy boss, but I would at least give him some form. The music was good, though you used some GM resource-pack sound effects.

Good job!

~ Theta Games

#6 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

Not bad. Graphics could use some work, although I like the different shapes and colors used for the bullets. Some shading would've been nice or even just having only an outline of the sprites would probably look better :X (retro style is it?). All the colors made it difficult to concentrate, however, and it was hard to follow where the boss was, even though there was a marker at the bottom which was cool. I didn't like <shift> for the slow move, I wish it was x. Instead I think x was screenshot which i kept pressing. Should've just made it autofire, then I wouldn't be complaining about shift :(

So yeah, nice game. I made it to level 19, 10, and 8 for easy, normal, and hard, respectively. I only played through each mode once.. as since each mode is just an altered variation of the previous patterns, the replay value of the same mode was very low. I played through easy once and I definately did not want to go through all of that again. :X
Nice game though, I've been really interested into bullet hell/patterns etc. I like the custom music too ;) cause I had a song that really fit. And yeah, sound effects don't really fit that much, and are pretty quiet.

#7 Kirbya

Kirbya

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:09 AM

Very intense game I thought. The music really added to it. Although hard seems impossible, I did manage to beat easy and medium.

In all very nice game, 9/10.

#8 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:39 AM

I have never played a bullet hell game of this kind. Very good. I liked the bullet patterns. They got incredibly hard later on, even in easy difficulty. I like the options and how you commented sort of on the practice mode screen. I'll have to practice more. Nice job! =]

#9 Machu

Machu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

This is a very awesome demonstration! I'd like to learn more about your techniques. I like how the some of the shots are brightly colored. Did you do something different with color blending, or did you just make an alternate-colored sprite for each color of bullet? The first pattern (and last screenshot) uses the normal blending, I noticed.

#10 evilturtle

evilturtle

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

omg dude, this games awsome!

the only thing that bugged me was the music, its too... well it dosent suit the game i felt, and the gunshot sounds i picked out, suited it fine it was just the music.

other wise great game dude! i got to barrage 13, how many is there? :(

all up i giv it a 9/10
The turtles will rule the planet one day...
AND I WILL LEAD THEM!!!!

so get on my good side while u can...

Scibles! Better than it sounds...

#11 King Razz

King Razz

shizzle my nizzle

• 146 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

This is really impressive

Great job 10/10
Howdy

#12 .THRESHER.

.THRESHER.

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

AH I love bullet hell games! I always love a good SHMUP!