<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Download:</span>

Download from WillHostForFood
Download from Host-A
GM Arcade

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Specifications:</span>

Title: The Red Wedge
Genre: SHMUP Platformer
Download Size: 2.39 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, and a folder containing the game music.
Resolution: 640 x 480
Version: 1.1
Written In: :P Registered

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Overview:</span>

The Red Wedge is an experimental game that mixes two popular genres of games. While shooting enemies, you must also jump on constantly moving platforms to avoid falling off the screen. The game progresses with a constant curve: harder enemies gradually appear in greater numbers, and the platforms get further apart. The game (both in graphical style and in theme) is based loosely on the famous Soviet propaganda poster by Eliezer Markovich Lissitzky, Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge ('Whites' refers to the Czarist White Army of Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution, not people of Caucasian race).

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Controls:</span>

<LEFT> and <RIGHT>: Move left and right
<UP: Jump
<Z>: Shoot
<X>: Drop Bomb
<SPACE>: Pause

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Screenshot:</span>

Posted Image

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Notes:</span>

- This game's graphical style is entirely vector-based. There is not a single visible sprite image (some invisible sprites are used for collisions).

- I would like to extend my thanks to Smarty, for his GM BASSMOD extension (with which the MOD music is played) and to Jedlas, for his PC Internal Beep extension (with which the opening music, composed of motherboard beeping, is played).

- NEW (Version 1.1): I have made the variable jumping a lot more responsive. I have also added a small amount of friction, and made the horizontal movement more realistic.

Edited by thetagames, 26 December 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#2 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

I'm guessing you're a communist, huh? haha :P

There was alot of good in this game, however I don't think I got the most I could out of it due to the seemingly delayed controls, the fact that the bombs pretty much did nothing, and you couldn't aim where you were shooting (made it quite difficult). I really liked the menu, and the graphics style wasn't too bad (although I think a game like this would've benefited with sprites, or at least non-wobbly vectors.). So overall, the gameplay is pretty solid, but if you just changed those couple things I said, I think I would definitely have played it alot longer than I did.
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

I'm guessing you're a communist, huh? haha  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No; I just wanted to make a game with communist themes (and poke fun at them as well).

There was alot of good in this game, however I don't think I got the most I could out of it due to the seemingly delayed controls, the fact that the bombs pretty much did nothing, and you couldn't aim where you were shooting (made it quite difficult). I really liked the menu, and the graphics style wasn't too bad (although I think a game like this would've benefited with sprites, or at least non-wobbly vectors.). So overall, the gameplay is pretty solid, but if you just changed those couple things I said, I think I would definitely have played it alot longer than I did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will definitely improve the variable jumping; I think it is what is causing a lot of the delay. I might also make directional aiming. If I do, I would probably get rid of the bombs. The bombs are useful mainly for later enemies (like the snakes and turrets), which stay on top of the platforms. How should the aiming work? Should it be twin-stick-style, 8-directional aiming? I don't much like mouse-aiming, although it might work as well. Do you think I could leave it as it is, but increase the spread-size of the bullets? In my testing, I have never have I experienced an incident where it was absolutely necessary to shoot upward; usually it sufficed to move back a bit, jump up, and spray the enemies with bullets.

Thanks for the comments and criticisms!

~ Theta Games

#4 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:16 AM

I can't jump when I'm moving to the left? :blink:

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

I can't jump when I'm moving to the left?  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tested it again, and I saw no nothing like that in the new version. What exactly is the problem?

#6 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for putting your game on GMArcade! I'd have to say I like all of your shooters. They are all very unique, and require you to think instead of shoot.

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#7 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

I can't jump when I'm moving to the left?  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tested it again, and I saw no nothing like that in the new version. What exactly is the problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well pretty much whenever I'm holding down the left key, it doesn't allow me to jump

#8 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Well pretty much whenever I'm holding down the left key, it doesn't allow me to jump

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tested it again, and it seemed to work perfectly. The game gives the impression of relative motion, making it 'feel' harder to move the same distance to the left as to the right.

Maybe it is your keyboard, or something else, but I cannot replicate the problem on my computer.

#9 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

Wow! Cool game. My favourite part was the classic feal to it. :( Kinda reminded me of Wii super mario bros LOL

#10 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:05 AM

Wow!  Cool game.  My favourite part was the classic feal to it. :(  Kinda reminded me of Wii super mario bros LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? That is an interesting comparison! Thanks, and glad you liked it!

#11 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

hehe, pretty interesting game you have here ^_^ Nice idea, but I think it could be expanded upon. I got around to the point where there were arrows flying at me (or something). Got a bit crowded there :D It's pretty fun, but something's missing... not sure what. well, sound effects for one. I dunno, I think it needs some sort of gameplay twist or something... I'll get back to you if I think of it ;)

#12 phoenix0

phoenix0

GMC Member

• 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:13 AM

The computer beeping sounds are really annoying. I didn't like the gameplay that much either. It might be just because of the computer beeping sounds, but there isn't much to the gameplay.

#13 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

hehe, pretty interesting game you have here ^_^ Nice idea, but I think it could be expanded upon. I got around to the point where there were arrows flying at me (or something). Got a bit crowded there :D It's pretty fun, but something's missing... not sure what. well, sound effects for one. I dunno, I think it needs some sort of gameplay twist or something... I'll get back to you if I think of it ;)

I'm always looking to expand this. What would you think of powerups, that give you special weapon powers, or other bonuses? Also, there definitely are sound effects! By default, they should be set to 100%, but they still are mixed in a little quiet in comparison to the music.

The computer beeping sounds are really annoying. I didn't like the gameplay that much either. It might be just because of the computer beeping sounds, but there isn't much to the gameplay.

You can turn off the computer beeping if you don't like it. From the main menu, select 'Options,' and scroll down to 'PC Speaker.' Set this to 'OFF.'

Thanks for your replies,

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 01 March 2008 - 01:42 PM.

#14 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

im a dirty capatilist for geting a highscore...but the highscore table is all comrades? hahaha so true!

anyways,...just wondering,...but for the actual game play where any sprites actually vissable? (you may have used masks) but it looked like the rest where draw function shapes

1 bug to report...(i dont know if its already been mentioned)
i landed half way between the top and bottom (on the y axis) of a block and it moved me to the left (on the x axis) without me pressing any directional keys...

8/10, keep up the good work

#15 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

@Darkflame:
Glad you liked the highscore list - I know; it is an intended oxy-moron.

There were no visible sprites at all; everything was drawn. All the objects used either 16x16 masks (this was stretched for the platforms), or 8x8 masks (for the shots and such).

About the bug; were you actually moving to the left? Or were you just standing still, while the platform moved relative to you? I noticed that bug awhile ago, and thought that I fixed it. Very rarely do I see it now, even when I try to replicate the circumstances. I don't know exactly what is causing the problem, but I'll look into it more.

Thanks for the reply,

~ Theta Games

#16 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:01 AM

the bug is fine (ive never known a buggless game (its as hard as getting a hand drawing a perfect circle))

and i like games that dont show sprites...but it would be cool if you could condense it to one object!

or better yet (my idea for a while now) createing the whole game in the 'room creation code' with no sprites (not even masks)

#17 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:10 AM

oh, there were sfx? I tend to forget or not notice it if they're subtle or quiet. my bad. :P usually when you think of a shmup you think that some cool and loud sfx would come with it :P not necessarily a bad thing.

#18 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

the bug is fine (ive never known a buggless game (its as hard as getting a hand drawing a perfect circle))

Apparently this guy can make a bugless game :P.

I liked the game, but I wish the difficulty would go up a bit faster. Everything else was pretty cool. It surprised me when the game started using built in computer sounds. 0 volume and I could still hear them :P.

Other then a bit slow at first, it's a unique, fun game.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#19 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

FREAKING HELL!

thats a good circle!

its not perfect (notice the right hand side (in gml: direction=360) you will notice it got a little bit of a lump,...but otherwise...WOW!))

#20 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

@Darkflame:
I know how to do that; it just would be very time consuming. You just have to add all the objects, and write out all the events. I always wanted to try that, though. And about that circle, it looked pretty good to me. He drew it so quickly, too! Apparently they have championships for that sort of thing . . . :P

@The Unknown:
The effects are pretty subtle. I really didn't want to drown out the music. Also, a lot of the sounds have a more retro feel, so I didn't want to blare them out (it would get annoying).

@STARFOXROX:
How far did you get? What was your score? I probably will adjust the difficulty curve; it is just a matter of me adjusting a few variables. And yeah, the computer speaker has no volume control. :P You can turn it off in the game, though.

Thanks for all the excellent replies!

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 02 March 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#21 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

I found the problem, I can't jump when I'm moving to the left and shooting.

#22 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

I really liked this game. I think the platforming elements work well with the shooter parts, and the graphics are nice. The sounds are a little annoying but its not a big deal. Overall, I thought it was a solid game with some unique gameplay. Good job!

#23 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

I found the problem, I can't jump when I'm moving to the left and shooting.

How old is your keyboard? It may not be able to handle three key presses at once. Do you think I should implement auto-fire?

I really liked this game. I think the platforming elements work well with the shooter parts, and the graphics are nice. The sounds are a little annoying but its not a big deal. Overall, I thought it was a solid game with some unique gameplay. Good job!

Thanks for the kind comments! Which sounds did you not like, the music, the sound effects, or the PC beeping? They can all be turned off in the 'Options' menu, if desired.

Thanks to all,

~ Theta Games

#24 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

It definitely felt like something I haven't seen before, and it's quite addictive for such a simple concept. I probably won't play it again though, but I just don't play a lot anyway.

It would be good to add some sort of reward or something you can "get", a goal to work to. (If there is one than my complaint is that you didn't tell me!). I assume though that it's meant more as an experiment than a big long game. :D

In that sense, I'd say it's a very great execution of an idea.

If this were expanded upon it could work as a full game, so for me it shows how simple a gameplay mechanic can be.

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#25 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

It definitely felt like something I haven't seen before, and it's quite addictive for such a simple concept. I probably won't play it again though, but I just don't play a lot anyway.

It would be good to add some sort of reward or something you can "get", a goal to work to. (If there is one than my complaint is that you didn't tell me!). I assume though that it's meant more as an experiment than a big long game. :D

In that sense, I'd say it's a very great execution of an idea.

If this were expanded upon it could work as a full game, so for me it shows how simple a gameplay mechanic can be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This game was made in the style of arcade games from the early days of video games. It is not meant to be a full-blown game by todays standards; rather, it is more of a mini-game. This does not mean that I won't add things; I agree it might need a little more. However, I would like to maintain this simple quality. I'm glad you thought it was addictive; that was one of the key things I was going for.

Also, like my other game R-Theta II (and like many of those old games), this game has no end; the difficulty curve rises to infinity. Therefore, the goal (again like those old games) is to get the highest score possible.

Thanks for the insight,

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 03 March 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#26 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

I just realized I've never commented this game, and pardon me if I misspell quite a bit of words today, for my eyesight is not so well at the moment. It was pretty fun. I liked the simple yet well executed graphics. At first I could never get really far, because I would always make stupid errors. One thing that made me angry is sometimes when I respawned I would immediately fall into a pit. This is not entirely the games fault, but I would like to be alive for more than 2 seconds so I can actually shoot something.

But now that I just freshly played the game, I can tell you exactly what my opinions are. You certainly achieved the "platformer shmup" thing you were going for. Well done. The jump was a little awkward at times though. It didn't feel smooth when I press the button to jump at times. The games difficulty progresses fairly well. That turret type enemy sure was a pain in the old rear. It was odd when the colors changed. They must have changed so slightly I didn't notice. The tune on the menu with the computer beeping and the whole computer beep feature in general was a nice touch.

No score for you. I never give scores. I'm not a critic, and nor is anybody else on this forum. But I would like to say well done. It was truly a neat experimental concept. I didn't really pay attention to all the political stuff really, but it was cool that it was there.

#27 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

Thank you for the review!

One thing that made me angry is sometimes when I respawned I would immediately fall into a pit. This is not entirely the games fault, but I would like to be alive for more than 2 seconds so I can actually shoot something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have it programmed so that if you do not touch any of the arrow keys while respawning, you will land on a platform no matter what. The enemies won't come until after a small delay, so there is really no reason to move around until you land.

It was odd when the colors changed. They must have changed so slightly I didn't notice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The changes are very slight. Each time you shoot an enemy, it adds a bit to the 'yellow' RGB value for the shots, and takes away a bit from the 'yellow' RGB value for the character. At a certain point (about the point at which the first post's screenshot was taken, this is reversed).

I didn't really pay attention to all the political stuff really, but it was cool that it was there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's fine; it really isn't supposed to be serious political rhetoric, just a little political humor. :lol:

~ Theta Games

#28 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

Ahh I see. Next time I will remind myself not to press anything when I respawn. What is this game doing on page 2?

#29 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Ahh I see. Next time I will remind myself not to press anything when I respawn. What is this game doing on page 2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I was thinking of disabling controls when respawning, but that would feel weird.

#30 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for the next version? I will definitely add things, though I want to maintain its 'arcade,' 'minigame' feel.

Edited by thetagames, 10 March 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#31 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

Sorry for the triple-post, but I was thinking of ideas to make the gameplay a little more varied, and less "just shoot forward constantly." One of such ideas would be to make it necessary to destroy all enemies, and not let any get past. If one does get past, I would either make the player lose a life, or lose points (the latter is more likely).

Will this improve the game? I would have to make enemies appear less often, of course, and also make sure that every one is destroy-able. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks!

~ Theta Games

#32 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hey

I've tried to think of something, but haven't come up with much.

However, you can do some interesting stuff with the audio I think, much like REZ or Everyday Shooter.

That is, whenever you hit an enemy, you hear a sound. This sound then gets repeated a second later (though slightly softer). This way, by hitting enemies you create some sort of music pattern.

Maybe this is not what you're looking for, and it's just an idea. But I think your game, if you expand on it, should be expanded more into an interesting/arty experience, in stead of just adding more weapons (though you can still do that of course).

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#33 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hey

I've tried to think of something, but haven't come up with much.

However, you can do some interesting stuff with the audio I think, much like REZ or Everyday Shooter.

That is, whenever you hit an enemy, you hear a sound. This sound then gets repeated a second later (though slightly softer). This way, by hitting enemies you create some sort of music pattern.

Maybe this is not what you're looking for, and it's just an idea. But I think your game, if you expand on it, should be expanded more into an interesting/arty experience, in stead of just adding more weapons (though you can still do that of course).

The music pattern idea would be very cool, but I think that would make a better game on its own. If the game's enemies are too random, then the music would be very random. However, if you have to destroy all enemies, then the sequence could play out a melody. Perhaps you get points for 'keeping the beat?'

I agree, it is pretty simple right now, but I suppose that was the intent. It is supposed to be an artistic concept, but I'm sure even this could be expanded.

Thanks for the comments!

~ Theta Games