16 replies to this topic

#1 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Vectorius
By SuperCasey4

Hey everyone, this is my latest game, Vectorius. It is a shoot-em-up with stylized vector graphics. I got the idea for the graphics from the vector wallpapers over at deviantart.com. The game features 9 enemies (plus variations), 3 weapon types, and 4 bosses. The game starts out fairly easy, but quickly ramps up the difficulty. I spent a lot of time working on this game so that everything plays and looks just right, so give it a try and tell me what you think.

Controls:

Arrows: move
Z or Space: shoot

Note: Pick up 10 of the "star" powerup to get an extra life.

Download: Here

Screens: (Click for full size)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

the graphics look good, but it has a weird style. Its fairly slow and the music is also pretty slow and repeatative. its an interesting game, but it just has a weird style in my opinion.

#3 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:38 AM

Whoa, major bug. Sometimes the screen would really glitch and the vertexes would be all over the place and sometimes things would blend incorrectly. That might just be my resolution, but if you get it to, then I STRONGLY recommend fixing it.

I found the music quite repetitive as well. The graphics looked fairly good, other than that glitch and connection with the vector tails in some cases.

This reminds me of another shooter, graphics wise. It had garden in it's name, I do believe. The bullets were like that anyways.

It's a pretty slow shooter from where I got. The screen glitching caused my death several times.

I think what could really speed it up is just making the background more interesting. Right now it's just... still.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#4 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

the graphics look good, but it has a weird style. Its fairly slow and the music is also pretty slow and repeatative. its an interesting game, but it just has a weird style in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I was going for a different style. I thought there were enough generic space shooters out there, so I wanted to do something different. I realize it might not be for everyone, but thanks for playing anyway.

Whoa, major bug. Sometimes the screen would really glitch and the vertexes would be all over the place and sometimes things would blend incorrectly. That might just be my resolution, but if you get it to, then I STRONGLY recommend fixing it.

I found the music quite repetitive as well. The graphics looked fairly good, other than that glitch and connection with the vector tails in some cases.

This reminds me of another shooter, graphics wise. It had garden in it's name, I do believe. The bullets were like that anyways.

It's a pretty slow shooter from where I got. The screen glitching caused my death several times.

I think what could really speed it up is just making the background more interesting. Right now it's just... still.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea what the glitch could be. There is someone on YoYoGames that is having a similar problem. I've tested it on several computers and have had no problems, and no other people who have played it have had this glitch. It might just be your computer, although there isn't really anything that should cause something like that (no surfaces, or d3d, etc.) Does the problem occur when a specific enemy is on the screen? (the blue enemy and the yellow-ish green enemy use some advanced primitive drawing, other than that its all just generic shaps being drawn). I'll keep looking into it.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks to everyone who has played the game! Let me know what you think of it.

#5 phoenix0

phoenix0

GMC Member

• 63 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

Um...the download button doesn't work.

Yes, it does.
-Ablach Blackrat

Edited by Ablach Blackrat, 24 February 2008 - 02:52 AM.

#6 El Do Rado 1239

El Do Rado 1239

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

This game has a good potential ! BUT...

I guess you really wanted to make a game like Garden of Colored Lights, right ? No, this isn't it...

First - I know you wanted to make the game kinda musical, but the sounds are oh so annoying after a while. Change music ! One song for the whole game ? Duh... One bad song for the whole game ? Double duh.

Second - Since when exploding ships make sounds like BOINK or SMACK ? Aren't those from some GM resource pack anyway ? Tak your time with choosing the right sfx, because the ones you used are more fitting to a game where you throw hedgehogs on balloons to pop them.

Third - Shotgun sound is too loud, it's really annoying to hear it over and over and over... if you could exchange it for some silent bass, some drum or anything better, it would be great.

Fourth - Later in the game I got the feeling that I am playing the same level over and over. Making cutscenes between the levels, showing your score or at least saying you're going to a next area, would help a lot. And adding some new enemies, I didn't notice any new enemies since level 1.

Fifth - You have three weapons - a shotgun, chaingun and faster chaingun - right ? Well, adding some powerups would help a lot ! The contrast between the weak version you had in the first level and the superflashy version you have in the last level is doing wonders.

Sixth - and last one, the game is really slow. Maybe even a simple change could help - let the player choose between Easy and Hard, then set the room speed to 30 or 60. Try it and see if it works.

Now the good things. :blink:
I like the graphics. They are neat, really. More variety in the enemies' trails would be lovely, but I am not complaing about the current state.
Bosses are really good ! I like them a lot. Maybe add some faster fire rate near their death or something, could be nice.
And one last thing, I would like to play it in fullscreen if possible.

Well, sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but I just try to be honest. Saying your game is flawless even though I don't think so would be pointless. Eventually, me being harsh could lead to you making your game a lot better with a few finishing touches. :)

Good luck. :whistle:

Edited by El Do Rado 1239, 24 February 2008 - 03:55 AM.

#7 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

Ok guys I uploaded a new version that has a few changes (non noticeable unless you were having problems), and allows fullscreen, so if you were having any graphical glitches try running it in fullscreen (f4).

This game has a good potential ! BUT...

I guess you really wanted to make a game like Garden of Colored Lights, right ? No, this isn't it...

First - I know you wanted to make the game kinda musical, but the sounds are oh so annoying after a while. Change music ! One song for the whole game ? Duh... One bad song for the whole game ? Double duh.

Second - Since when exploding ships make sounds like BOINK or SMACK ? Aren't those from some GM resource pack anyway ? Tak your time with choosing the right sfx, because the ones you used are more fitting to a game where you throw hedgehogs on balloons to pop them.

Third - Shotgun sound is too loud, it's really annoying to hear it over and over and over... if you could exchange it for some silent bass, some drum or anything better, it would be great.

Fourth - Later in the game I got the feeling that I am playing the same level over and over. Making cutscenes between the levels, showing your score or at least saying you're going to a next area, would help a lot. And adding some new enemies, I didn't notice any new enemies since level 1.

Fifth - You have three weapons - a shotgun, chaingun and faster chaingun - right ? Well, adding some powerups would help a lot ! The contrast between the weak version you had in the first level and the superflashy version you have in the last level is doing wonders.

Sixth - and last one, the game is really slow. Maybe even a simple change could help - let the player choose between Easy and Hard, then set the room speed to 30 or 60. Try it and see if it works.

Now the good things. :)
I like the graphics. They are neat, really. More variety in the enemies' trails would be lovely, but I am not complaing about the current state.
Bosses are really good ! I like them a lot. Maybe add some faster fire rate near their death or something, could be nice.
And one last thing, I would like to play it in fullscreen if possible.

Well, sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but I just try to be honest. Saying your game is flawless even though I don't think so would be pointless. Eventually, me being harsh could lead to you making your game a lot better with a few finishing touches. ;)

Good luck. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, I do really appreciate a real review. A couple things: I had never played A Garden of Colored Lights, but I just played it and it is pretty cool. I know the music and sound effects are not so great, I'm really bad at music and sound so I tend to just throw it in as the last thing I do, which I know is a mistake. On my next game I am really going to focus on sound so hopefully I will improve. Also, I am definitely going to look into doing attack powerups and introducing more enemies as you play as well as hopefully improving the sound.

Thanks again to everyone who gave the game a try!

#8 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

Is it too hard for you guys? I didn't really think it was that difficult but I made it so I'm probably not the best judge. Do the screenshots turn you guys away? It looks better in motion than in the screenshots but I thought the screenshots looked pretty decent anyway.... maybe everyone's just too busy playing something with the word online in it.

Seriously, give it a chance, it's actually good, I can guarantee there are much, much worse games out their that you could waste you're time downloading.

#9 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

I played a bit of it, and from what I saw, I was quite impressed. The graphical style is unlike anything else I've seen. The vectors are pleasantly bright, colorful, and smooth. Good job!

Unfortunately, the game caused some serious resolution problems for my computer. Upon running it, it did not appear to change the resolution, but during the game, when one enemy exploded, the game completely froze.

I used CTRL-ALT-DELETE to exit the game, but only then did the resolution change. It seemed to turn the colors down to 256 and the resolution to 640 x 480. When I tried to change the resolution back (your game was already exited, so it may or may not be the culprit), the mouse cursor disappeared, and my computer froze. I had to restart, and got one of those fatal error things. As always, I ignored it, and my computer's resolution seems to work fine now.

I'm sorry I couldn't play more, but I don't want to have to restart again. It seems like a really good game, so I hope you can get those problems fixed.

~ Theta Games

#10 phoenix0

phoenix0

GMC Member

• 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:14 AM

Not bad. The graphics are kind of nice. The game also seems kind of slow paced. For me it was a little on the easy side.

#11 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:20 AM

I played a bit of it, and from what I saw, I was quite impressed.  The graphical style is unlike anything else I've seen.  The vectors are pleasantly bright, colorful, and smooth.  Good job!

Unfortunately, the game caused some serious resolution problems for my computer.  Upon running it, it did not appear to change the resolution, but during the game, when one enemy exploded, the game completely froze.

I used CTRL-ALT-DELETE to exit the game, but only then did the resolution change.  It seemed to turn the colors down to 256 and the resolution to 640 x 480.  When I tried to change the resolution back (your game was already exited, so it may or may not be the culprit), the mouse cursor disappeared, and my computer froze.  I had to restart, and got one of those fatal error things.  As always, I ignored it, and my computer's resolution seems to work fine now. 

I'm sorry I couldn't play more, but I don't want to have to restart again.  It seems like a really good game, so I hope you can get those problems fixed.

~ Theta Games

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you liked it while you could play it! Some people are having problems too, so I am working on fixing it. I think it happens when I have too many drawn primitives on the screen at a time (some of the trails have a lot of vertices), I just uploaded a new version that gives the game a higher priority so hopefully that will fix the problems.

Not bad.  The graphics are kind of nice.  The game also seems kind of slow paced.  For me it was a little on the easy side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I thought it was a little easy too, but the people that I had test it all said it was too difficult so I made it a little easier (and some still said it was too hard). But I plan to add some more bosses and maybe weapon upgrades, so I can always up the difficulty when you get farther in the game.

Thanks guys! Any criticism is still welcomed, I am still working on the game and have already implemented a few things have people suggested so please let me know what you think.

#12 whitefire

whitefire

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

You should have seen the look on my face when I entered the vectorious world of vector. Those trailing ribbons of colour were as satisfying as bright candy.

To me, the pace of the game was minor. The speed of the game aided to the gameplay and making it faster to satisfy people would be a huge mistake. This is why:

The zenith gameplay feature Vectorious built on was definitely the cherry blossoms of bullets that encouraged you to move constantly. This made me have to think logically and deeply about navigating through the bullet wave. In addition to that, you create a feeling of urgency to move out of the line of fire. This is excellent. You've successfully managed to capture all target markets of gamers, from hardcore to casual. When you toy around with the concept, remember to add ideas that support the navigation through bullets. Overmars would be proud.

The most important thing I have to criticize about your game are these two essential things. Don't you dare overlook these.
- No highscore table
- No power-ups

With no highscore table, is there really a point in getting better at this game? Adding a highscore table will keep people addicted to your game through the motivation of trying to beat the highscore. Friends playing your game can compare highscores and you've got competition. This means more people glued to Vectorious. The game works swell without a highscore table and adding one will just multiply the fun. Don't overlook this.

Some people might argue that the different weapons are power-ups. They're not. They're just different weapons (not that I have a problem with multiple weapons). What I really want to see is collecting a power-up that puts your weapon on steroids for either a limited amount of time or permanently and accumulatively. Most people like to get rewarded. Reward them with an improved weapon power-up! It will work very well in this game. It can be incorporated into enemy drops. I'd like to see that shotgun with a power-up that makes it even more awesome than it already is.

I'll finish up. The music was okay. A variety would be nice but it isn't necessary. The player's plane is not very appealing. I'd rather look like one of those stylish black enemy planes than a grey pillow shaded thing. I thought the habit of enemy's clogging up half of the screen and restricting your movements had positive and negative points. A restriction of movements works well with the navigation of movements core.

Overall, brilliant execution of your inspiration of the graphics on Deviant Art, and add more elements to improve the gameplay.

#13 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

You should have seen the look on my face when I entered the vectorious world of vector. Those trailing ribbons of colour were as satisfying as bright candy.

To me, the pace of the game was minor. The speed of the game aided to the gameplay and making it faster to satisfy people would be a huge mistake. This is why:

The zenith gameplay feature Vectorious built on was definitely the cherry blossoms of bullets that encouraged you to move constantly. This made me have to think logically and deeply about navigating through the bullet wave. In addition to that, you create a feeling of urgency to move out of the line of fire. This is excellent. You've successfully managed to capture all target markets of gamers, from hardcore to casual. When you toy around with the concept, remember to add ideas that support the navigation through bullets. Overmars would be proud.

The most important thing I have to criticize about your game are these two essential things. Don't you dare overlook these.
- No highscore table
- No power-ups

With no highscore table, is there really a point in getting better at this game? Adding a highscore table will keep people addicted to your game through the motivation of trying to beat the highscore. Friends playing your game can compare highscores and  you've got competition. This means more people glued to Vectorious. The game works swell without a highscore table and adding one will just multiply the fun. Don't overlook this.

Some people might argue that the different weapons are power-ups. They're not. They're just different weapons (not that I have a problem with multiple weapons). What I really want to see is collecting a power-up that puts your weapon on steroids for either a limited amount of time or permanently and accumulatively. Most people like to get rewarded. Reward them with an improved weapon power-up! It will work very well in this game. It can be incorporated into enemy drops. I'd like to see that shotgun with a power-up that makes it even more awesome than it already is.

I'll finish up. The music was okay. A variety would be nice but it isn't necessary. The player's plane is not very appealing. I'd rather look like one of those stylish black enemy planes than a grey pillow shaded thing. I thought the habit of enemy's clogging up half of the screen and restricting your movements had positive and negative points. A restriction of movements works well with the navigation of movements core.

Overall, brilliant execution of your inspiration of the graphics on Deviant Art, and add more elements to improve the gameplay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thanks a lot! I'm really glad you liked it. I'm not really sure hiscores would fit the game well (since your score when you beat the game will be very similar to other peoples) but I might look into it. Also, I am working on adding some powerups in so that weapons get more powerful as you collect more powerups.

Thanks, again everyone!

#14 DarkPlanet

DarkPlanet

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:47 AM

I liked it! Very artsy. As the people above me said, maybe speed the music up a tad.

9/10

#15 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

I liked it! Very artsy. As the people above me said, maybe speed the music up a tad.

9/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I'll play around with the music speed, and maybe speed the whole game up in the later levels.

#16 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

I love the graphics, as it gives a new touch to the genre. I did't play very far into the game, as i did not have so good time right now, but i was impressed. Looking forward to play more of it.

#17 Overman

Overman

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 884 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:17 AM

This game reminds me of Garden of Colored Lights, as several people have mentioned.

The game could be smoother, in my opinion.