41 replies to this topic

#1 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Super Binary</span>
Multiple datatypes, more functions, and more!

Download
WillHostForFood.com

Information
This DLL is made to allow more than bytes to be written to a file, but while I was reading up on fstream there were lots of other functions that GM doesn't have, so I included them too..

Function List
file_binary_init
file_binary_open
file_binary_rewrite
file_binary_close
file_binary_seek
file_binary_position
file_binary_size
file_binary_isopen
file_binary_peek
file_binary_eof
file_binary_read_byte
file_binary_read_short
file_binary_read_int
file_binary_read_float
file_binary_read_double
file_binary_read_string
file_binary_write_byte
file_binary_write_short
file_binary_write_int
file_binary_write_float
file_binary_write_double
file_binary_write_string

As you can see, this is a pretty hefty DLL that took me a little bit (Although most of it was me pulling my hair out wondering why I couldn't get it to work on others PC's, ends up I renamed it before sending...) so I'd appreciate some credit.

This is my first 'big' DLL, so yeah, I've created a few small ones in the past (And a prank one :(), and if you have any DLL ideas feel free to PM me.

Edited by ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS, 28 March 2008 - 10:57 PM.

I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#2 Postality

Postality

GMC Member

• 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

Sweet DLL you've created.

I'm not sure I'd need anything like this in the near future, but it's definately a sweet DLL if I ever need something like it.

10/10

#3 cpsgames

cpsgames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:38 AM

Nice 9/10

#4 Doogie_Forever

Doogie_Forever

Dog Warrior

• GMC Member
  • 824 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the 39dll can do the exact same thing. Either way, very nice must have taken a while.

Would be better if it was plain GML because so people hate the use of DLL's.

I'm just saying that it would be cool to demonstrate how to load two bytes or more (and make the value merged) with GML functions and it would be very useful to some.

#5 theloon

theloon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

Binary rocks for level data files. Trust me when I say binary functions in interpreted languages such as Game Maker are really, really, really sluggish.

I would have enjoyed a .GMD example but I'll pick through the .GML file until then.

#6 JeremyDF

JeremyDF

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

I made a .gex for it.
Download: This Link Was Deleted
I put your name in it ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS so people know you made the dll.
Edit
I was clearing my files and I accidentally deleted it.

Edited by Galena, 14 March 2008 - 01:02 AM.

#7 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

I made a .gex for it.
Download: GM Super Binary
I put your name in it ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS so people know you made the dll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much. :lol:
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#8 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

I loved the quality and simplicity but hated the speed. On a test, it took almost 5 minutes (289640 milliseconds) to copy a 8.46kb file in bytes (using the file_binary_write_byte(file1,file_binary_read_byte
(file2)) method) even on highest priority.

This is VERY slow considering a GM file is over 1 mb.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#9 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

I loved the quality and simplicity but hated the speed. On a test, it took almost 5 minutes (289640 milliseconds) to copy a 8.46kb file in bytes (using the file_binary_write_byte(file1,file_binary_read_byte
(file2)) method) even on highest priority.

This is VERY slow considering a GM file is over 1 mb.

Erm, priority doesn't change how fast GM runs.

Anyways, its unable to be faster than GM because there is the DLL overhead. Oh well.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#10 remoladen

remoladen

GMC Member

• 147 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

OMG U DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU!!!! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS FOR EVER!!!!! <3<3<3... lol not that Im gay or anything haha.. :huh:
Delphi DLL Maker = Me

<<Copy this into your sig if you're a Christian>>

#11 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:25 AM

If I am correct binary is machine code, which means that u can make an OS with game maker using this dll, u could make a operating system.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#12 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:59 AM

If I am correct binary is machine code, which means that u can make an OS with game maker using this dll, u could make a operating system.

You are freaking retarded.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#13 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

Ah cool, I have to remember this is here when I convert my maps save to binary format

Adds to favorites

BTW, your dll would be a great spot to put in encryption/decryption while saving/loading. I have some good code for that

Edited by icuurd12b42, 17 August 2008 - 04:31 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#14 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

You are freaking retarded.

I got a seriously good chuckle out of that.

I'm pretty sure binary isn't machine code, if it is then oh well. I'm wrong.
And, good luck making an OS with Game Maker. Or just an OS in general.

And this DLL looks quite interesting. Pretty advanced-looking from that hefty function list. I'll give it a try when I need something like this.
-- My blog. --

#15 Shining_Saber

Shining_Saber

Top Gundam

• 610 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

Please.... never talk again.
You probably won't even be able to make an OS with C++. An OS is VERY complicated business, and only the 1337est of the 1337 programmers do it. Creating games and creating an operating system are very different things, with the later taking years of study.

Anyways, good job. Must've been really hard to code. :)

Edited by Shining_Saber, 17 August 2008 - 04:42 AM.

Posted Image
Clemson University Pre-Veterinary Science Major!

#16 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:51 AM

with the later taking years of study.

Or the source code of Linux. Haha.

But, yeah. I have a question, probably an unimaginably stupid one. But, in what instances could this be truly useful?
-- My blog. --

#17 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

with the later taking years of study.

Or the source code of Linux. Haha.

But, yeah. I have a question, probably an unimaginably stupid one. But, in what instances could this be truly useful?

If you want to write a value larger then 255 to a binary file and don't want the conversion math yourself you can use this DLL.

Oh and
binary!=machine code
binary is a data type
machine code is code that can be directly used by computers (eg: C++ can't be read by a computer, it first needs to be converted to assembly and then to machine code).

I'm probaly not perfectly right on this.
See Yourself's sig or ask him for the details.

EDIT: How does your DLL determine the length of a written string?

Edited by johnie102, 17 August 2008 - 03:46 PM.

Have I helped you? Thank me by playing my game

note that these graphics aren't in game... yet!

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#18 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

EDIT: How does your DLL determine the length of a written string?

Usualy, one writes the length to the file followed by the string. Pretty standard, so when you read a string, its read the length then the string.

5Hello

Edited by icuurd12b42, 17 August 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#19 molloyboy08

molloyboy08

pyr0t3chnic

• 473 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Cool dll, I'm downloading now to check out the speed as I have an interesting comparision I want to make....

Anyway machine code is a set of 0's and 1's that correspond to commands as understood by the computer's processor. Machine code is in binary but binary is not machine code (does that make sense its a small distinction...) binary is all about how its being treated. The binary pattern 01000001 can be represented in some ways such as a decimal number 65, by the character A or possibly as a for example an add command. So, in theory you could make an OS or even an exe using these commands but 1) you'll be there forever trying to figure out the structure to use and what the instruction set it 2) it will have to be understood as the OS otherwise it wont do a thing...

Using these you could even make a bmp file if you so wanted to (not sure why you would but its an example) as long as the file extension was .bmp and you have the format correct. I hope this clears some things up. Johnie was pretty good explaining.

Edit: to expand on icuurd's post it could be like this (the byte setup)
5 H E L L O <- length stored before edit2: I counted wrong... going to go hang myself now
or
H E L L O 0 <- null terminated string (goes till the 0 )

Edited by molloyboy08, 17 August 2008 - 07:45 PM.

Returning after a break from gamemaker.
Gamemaker experience: 6,7 both paid. 8 soon to be pro
Programming knowledge: (May be missing a few currently)
C, C#, C++, java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Visual Basic, Perl, assembly, batch

Temporary sig while I figure out if I have anything worthwhile to put.

#20 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Elder
  • 7352 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

binary is a data type

No it isn't.

See Yourself's sig

You definitely should.

Binary is one method of representing data. A data type is a specific interpretation of that binary string into something more abstract; e.g. the real number 2.25, the character 'ยต', the color crimson, the instruction to add two numbers, etc. These are all abstract concepts which can be represented (somewhat arbitrarily) as a binary string. A binary string by itself admits nothing about the type of data it holds. By that I mean that given a binary string you have no actual way of knowing what data it represents.

It's been possible to create "anything" using GM ever since the binary file functions were added way back in 5.x (whatever version they were added; I can't remember). They provided the ability to create and read any file possible. Everything from sound files to machine code can be written using the built-in binary file functions in GM. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to actually do this, however.

#21 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

So, after reading what Yourself said, and thinking realistically. Couldn't you make a script to save an image as a different file type than a .bmp? Well, and have the file format be correct, instead of just a false add-on of a file type.
-- My blog. --

#22 molloyboy08

molloyboy08

pyr0t3chnic

• 473 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thank you Yourself for explaining that so well. It was exactly as I was thinking but why is it that I never speak so precisely.... As the the data type thing I can't beleive I didn't see that and I never noticed Yourselfs sig, pretty nice.

Anyway. You could do that but it doesn't mean you should. 1) the script would be long 2) the script would be slow, 3) it would have to be hardcoded to actually encrypt the data too. A dll would be a more practical choice.
Returning after a break from gamemaker.
Gamemaker experience: 6,7 both paid. 8 soon to be pro
Programming knowledge: (May be missing a few currently)
C, C#, C++, java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Visual Basic, Perl, assembly, batch

Temporary sig while I figure out if I have anything worthwhile to put.

#23 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Elder
  • 7352 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

So, after reading what Yourself said, and thinking realistically. Couldn't you make a script to save an image as a different file type than a .bmp? Well, and have the file format be correct, instead of just a false add-on of a file type.

Yes. Every file format is accessible, but don't take that to mean that it's practical. Many file formats are pretty well documented. Back when the binary file functions were added I created a little application to make GM compatible .ico files. If you bothered to learn the formats, you could even output video from your game although that would be completely impractical.

#24 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

binary is a data type

No it isn't.

Oops, you probably won't believe me, but I didn't meant to write that. I meant to write that binary is a numerical system (I really hope that that is the right word for what I meant, else I'm gonna do a facedesk). Anyway, as I said you are way better at explaining stuff like this than me.

Edited by johnie102, 17 August 2008 - 10:11 PM.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#25 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Yes. Every file format is accessible, but don't take that to mean that it's practical. Many file formats are pretty well documented. Back when the binary file functions were added I created a little application to make GM compatible .ico files. If you bothered to learn the formats, you could even output video from your game although that would be completely impractical.

I see. This just makes me realize how open and flexible computer programming is. I guess when you bring things down to minimal facts things start making sense. Maybe the use of the word minimal isn't a very good word for it, but it's the best I can think of right now. Also, how someone(I believe it was you, Yourself) stated it depends how binary is read by the computer on what it does. Well, that makes me thing. Wouldn't in the case of a compiled language, say C++, the compilers be in the place of the machine reading it, but instead of translating it into commands for the computer, it translates it to code that can be directly read by the computer. And the process being ever so complicated as you go up the scale of programming language types, as GML is translated, and goes through several processes to get down to the directly readable code. This is correct, no?
-- My blog. --

#26 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

I see. This just makes me realize how open and flexible computer programming is. I guess when you bring things down to minimal facts things start making sense. Maybe the use of the word minimal isn't a very good word for it, but it's the best I can think of right now. Also, how someone(I believe it was you, Yourself) stated it depends how binary is read by the computer on what it does. Well, that makes me thing. Wouldn't in the case of a compiled language, say C++, the compilers be in the place of the machine reading it, but instead of translating it into commands for the computer, it translates it to code that can be directly read by the computer. And the process being ever so complicated as you go up the scale of programming language types, as GML is translated, and goes through several processes to get down to the directly readable code. This is correct, no?

(disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this, but I'll try my best at explaining this, some things could be incorrect)
In the beginning, computer programs were written directly in machine code. But this was hard to learn, took a lot of time and was a horror to debug. So 'people' started developing what is called assembly language. This is (as far as I know) machine code, but then in more human terms (using words and such). This assembly language is then somehow (I don't know how exactly, but using a compiler) converted to machine code. In the beginning days of the compiler, compiling was inefficient and it was more efficient writing in machine code. But over the time compilers became more and more efficient and now it is probably more efficient writing assembly then machine code. Anyway, assembly still takes a lot of lines for doing what you want. So in the eighties (I think, could be seventies) people started developing higher level languages that eventually evolved in the likes of PASCAL, DELPHI, C and C++. These languages are first brought trough the assembler (they first go trough the linker, but this is irrelevant). This converts the language to assembly and then the assembly source goes trough the compiler which converts it to machine code.
Because the assemblers and compilers are so efficient you would be crazy developing stuff in assembly and such (or you need to really really have complete control over your code). There is no way to see what language you used if you see the assembly source. (although, I don't know why GM only accepts DLLs written in certain languages. This doesn't really make sense if you ask me, but oh well)

Now, on GML. GML is simply some ordered text that is read by the runner (which is written in DELPHI if I recall correctly) and every command in GML correspondents with a function (or more) in the runner. This process (checking GML and seeing with what function it belongs) is done in real-time. This is why GML is slower, but does allow for easy bug-tracking (you can see on exactly what line an error happened) and inserting code (execute_string/file()).
I hope that made sense.

Now a question for people smarter then me:
How possible would it be to convert the GML to actual DELPHI code on saving the executable. I understand that this way it would take much more time compiling your game, but it would result in a speed increase, right?

Edited by johnie102, 18 August 2008 - 09:45 AM.

#27 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

snip

I suggest you consult wikepedia on
Machine Aode
Assembly Language
C++
Interpeted language...
second generation language

in short, machine code is a series of bytes... You can write a program with a hex editor it's the 1st generation language
assembly is a second gen language... Converting the bytes commands to readable few letter commands for editing, compiling the result to machine code.
c is 3rd gen, more readable
c++ 4th gen or 3rd gen, depending where you come from and philosophy can be used as a forth gen language from all the classes you have, but still 3rd gen
VB is 4th geneneration, hard to make an error, but could be consirered 3rd gen in todays description... Because it's use is not specific, appart from being a windows programming platform.
GML is 4rth Gen because it's specific to something... gaming
D&D could be considered 5fth gen, I guess, but it's more like visual 4rth gen

The evolution of the terminoly makes it hard to follow over time...

When I started,
1st gen meant machine code
2nd gen meant assembly
3rd gen mean c and other more readable code
4rth gen basically meant interpreters with a nice WYSIWYG interface

Each generation was used to make the next if you catch what I mean. That was the way we went at defining the generations. Looking at wiki right now, it's hard to tell what's what... It was easier back then.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 18 August 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#28 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hey, is this compiled with debug information because is pretty darn big for what it does...

#29 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

Hey, is this compiled with debug information because is pretty darn big for what it does...

No, its just that Dev-C++ wouldn't compile unless I included a crapton of libraries.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#30 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:17 AM

For the record, Pascal(Not PASCAL) is a language founded by the company Delphi.(again, not DELPHI.)

And it seems my half-question half philosophical assumption was never answered. Where is Yourself when you need him, to clear matter such as these up? Probably reading our posts and shaking his head a disgust. :lol:
-- My blog. --

#31 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:36 AM

No, its just that Dev-C++ wouldn't compile unless I included a crapton of libraries.

Looks like it's craping out on loading a string... I don't get how you set it up because in the script, you are returning the result right from the dll. Have you figured how to create GM strings?

Usually, you have to mem copy to a gm allocated string in the dll

var str; str = string_repeat(chr(0),256)
numbytes = external_call(global.dll_ReadString,argument0, str, 256);
return string_copy(str,1,numbytes)

and in the dll you would memcpy, min (sizeinfile, bufsize) onto str

And, looking at the file, it looks like it did not save my string right if not at all.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 19 August 2008 - 09:33 AM.

#32 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

excellent with super binary in GM, you could almost make a super OS, and a super computer with Game Maker, however the hardware would be all that needs designing...

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#33 OniLink10

OniLink10

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:31 AM

It's a Great DLL, but it's rather slow.... Could you find a way to speed it up?

#34 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

no he can't
it's just an std::ifstream through a dll
if there would be some file loading scripts, that could bring more use to the dll
what do you xpect to see here? another signature?
Cloud texture generator / renderer

#35 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

Its more like GM is slow, not my DLL.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#36 Skarik

Skarik

GMC member

• GMC Member
  • 1068 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

After reading Icuurd's posts, I think I'll stick with his binary DLL. The integrity of strings is very important to me.

#37 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

It's more like you are slow to understand that wrapping small functions won't lead to anything good.

Edited by them4n!ac, 18 November 2008 - 12:41 PM.

what do you xpect to see here? another signature?
Cloud texture generator / renderer

#38 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

It's more like you are slow to understand that wrapping small functions won't lead to anything good.

This was created to be able to write in data types other than bytes. It also wasn't originally coded for game maker.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#39 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

this dll is a bit tooooo slow...

what a pity

#40 gmcsdobbie

gmcsdobbie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Link does not work.

#41 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

http://www.mediafire...2zap52alnw2zveu

#42 lethman427

lethman427

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Does this DLL support signed AND unsigned data?
Cheers,
~Lethman~