Photo

Solar Blue - Shmup - Update 8 - Level 4!

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#201 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

Ummmm... WOW. I think I should have worn my blast-suit, because those graphics just blew my mind. I'm talkin' H-Bomb kinda blown here.

Insane amounts of fun, good controls, it was all just so... good.

Keep it up. Seriously.

I'll try my best <_<. Thanks for the comment. Hopefully my next game will be more "GM memorable" material. It's hard with such a quiet forum, and the new Game Maker Creations forum doesn't help, as everything is separated. If anyone has a good Indie Game distribution forum, that'd be great. Also, if anyone knows a good way of distributing games that require registration keys, that'd be awesome.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#202 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

Indie Game distribution forum, that'd be great.

Indie Gamer?

There's also two good blogs you can tip, to feature your game:
TIGSource, and IndieGamer.com
There's also the2bears, since your game is an indie shmup.

Oh, not to mention, since your game is indeed a shmup, SHMUP-Dev forums.
-- My blog. --

#203 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:23 AM

Indie Game distribution forum, that'd be great.

Indie Gamer?

There's also two good blogs you can tip, to feature your game:
TIGSource, and IndieGamer.com
There's also the2bears, since your game is an indie shmup.

Oh, not to mention, since your game is indeed a shmup, SHMUP-Dev forums.

Oh, thank you very, very much! Now I just need to figure out how to sell Solar Blue+ in a way that will allow me to use registration codes. I may not sell many copies, but dammit, I don't want people stealing it <_<.

Posted Image

#204 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Honestly, I don't think your game will be popular enough to worry about people stealing it.

And I also think this game wouldn't make very much money. You would be better off opening a donation box through PayPal.(which isn't a bad idea)
-- My blog. --

#205 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Honestly, I don't think your game will be popular enough to worry about people stealing it.

And I also think this game wouldn't make very much money. You would be better off opening a donation box through PayPal.(which isn't a bad idea)

Oh yes, I know. The actual game won't cost any money, just an upgraded version of it, which will probably only be like 2 dollars. It probably isn't worth it, but the fact that there's a chance someone could steal it or distribute it makes me sad.

I think if people wouldn't pay 2 bucks for the upgraded version, I doubt anyone would donate money. It's worth a try I guess. I can't wait until I'm done with this game, so I can actually work on the game that'll be long, have a story, and a bunch of other things that make it superior to this game.

Also, most of those websites you sent me were quite slow. Some weren't, however. I know of other sites to post this that are quite popular. That may help, but we'll see. I may just say screw the idea of selling this at all, but I just want to see if I can get money off of my games.

Hey, you know what, that donation thing gives me an idea. It could be like that Unnamed Story (I forget what it's called. I know it has Story and "Un" in it... I think), where people donating 1 or more get the full version. For me, this is less of getting the full version, and more of getting extra content. It doesn't add too much gameplay, just more variation, such as a new ship type and co-op mode. Meaning, buying Solar Blue+ is more like donating and getting something for your kindness.

Edited by Sulfuric, 28 August 2009 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#206 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

That was the whole idea Untitled Story went for.
-- My blog. --

#207 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

That was the whole idea Untitled Story went for.

Yes, I know, that's what I tried to say. Sorry, I just kind of went off on a tangent to my game from his premise. :whistle:. Also, I KNEW it wasn't "unnamed"... I was very close though. *Face palm*

His game is definitely more worthy of it, but, I'll at least try. I mean, 1 dollar isn't much. I can see at least one person donating some money for it. I know I've collected a few fans of the game. They may not be big enough fans to pay any money for a few new features, but they may at least consider it, which is the first step.

For some update news, I've added all unlockables and achievements for the normal version. The game also has a complete save feature. The only thing left is a bit of polish, an intro, and outro, and bam. Look for it in the coming weeks!

Edited by Sulfuric, 29 August 2009 - 02:46 AM.

Posted Image

#208 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

Hey, don't let jakman bring you down into cynicism town. He's working off of personal opinion (and that alone), and being a little bit antagonistic about it (no offense, but you are). Whether or not this becomes popular enough to sell is entirely dependent upon your legwork and positive word-of-mouth. This is a darn good game -- innovative, addictive, and professionally done -- and with enough indie advertising, you could definitely sell it.

And besides, selling your first game isn't about making money. It's about getting your work out there, and setting a foundation upon which you can make some actual dough doing something you enjoy doing.

That being said, I look forward to the next update.

#209 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

If your unsure about your game, and how to sell, and how it would do, you could try pming rinkuhero, asking if he could play it and give his professional advice. He's been making games for 15 years, both freeware and shareware, and knows a lot about what sells, piracy, how to deal with it, etc.

Also, don't be afraid to jack your price up. Check out games that are on portals, which are selling, and see if your game competes with them.
Here's a list of Reflexive's shooter section:
http://www.reflexive...p;PAGE=GameList

Look who's the top seller, Chicken Invaders 3. ( a relatively simple 2d shoot'em up)

Chicken invaders 2 is only a little bit further down the list (an even simpler 2d shoot'em up)
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#210 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hey, don't let jakman bring you down into cynicism town. He's working off of personal opinion (and that alone), and being a little bit antagonistic about it (no offense, but you are). Whether or not this becomes popular enough to sell is entirely dependent upon your legwork and positive word-of-mouth. This is a darn good game -- innovative, addictive, and professionally done -- and with enough indie advertising, you could definitely sell it.

And besides, selling your first game isn't about making money. It's about getting your work out there, and setting a foundation upon which you can make some actual dough doing something you enjoy doing.

That being said, I look forward to the next update.

Well, I'm certainly not trying to bring him down. Reading over what I said though, it was antagonistic.

Anywho, although this game is of selling quality, I haven't noticed shmups to be very high-selling games in the past. Then again, not many people try to sell shmups. But there may be reason behind that. I can't say much surely. I would recommend a donation box, rather than a price tag, nonetheless.
-- My blog. --

#211 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

I haven't noticed shmups to be very high-selling games in the past. Then again, not many people try to sell shmups.

Errm, so your giving him advice about selling (which I doubt you have done) and that advice is based on something you 'think' you 'noticed'.

This is why I suggested the OP ask someone who actually has some experience.
But otherwise, actually check out if what you say is true, and cruise around the casual gaming portals. As I previously mentioned, reflexive has a whole section dedicated to shooters, and ManifestoGames also has a Shmup section:
http://www.manifestogames.com/shmup

These portals are a business. They accept games that sell. The fact that these shooters have a whole section all to themselves, suggests that they do sell, and sell rather well.
(I don't think shooters sell so well on reflexive,(as compared to the other genre's on there). but they still do pretty well)

No, I haven't sold a game yet, and I'm no expert. I've been cruising around the gaming portals, just checking out the level that I have to make my game, and I've been pretty excited! Programming wise, a lot of the games are relatively simple, but they just carve up in the polish, and presentation side of things. (with good graphics).

Your game looks really polished, and (on the 1st) I'm going to be sure to check it out. :lol:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#212 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

I agree with what Jackman has said (although it did bum be down a bit). I mean, I primary wanted to sell the upgraded version (not the full thing) so I could get a bit more money. It would really be a test to see if, and how well I can sell my next game.

I like the idea of Jackman's anyway. Considering what I'd be selling is only an upgrade version, I don't think a price tag higher than a few dollars is really worth it. I mean, sure you'd get co-op and stuff, but that only adds to the experience, it doesn't really give a bigger game structurally.

I thank you Desert Dog for showing me those websites. I'm not sure if you can update your own games there, but if you can, that'd be excellent. I'll also be sure to contact RinkuHero if Dark Flame doesn't have any more incite on how to sell games efficiently.

I've now made it so when you get an achievement, it says it on the bottom of the screen. The only thing left is a bit of polish and slight changing of waves.

But seriously though, can anyone tell me the typos in my tutorial? I still don't know what they are.

Posted Image

#213 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

I'll take a look for you~ And add small suggestions of what to change them to.(although by no means do you need to use them.)

1)"By default, movement of your ship is arrow keys."
Although there is no real problem with this, it does sound grammatically wrong.(even if there are no true grammatical errors)
"By default, you move your ship with the arrow keys."

2)"Move the aimer with W and S respectively."
Respective to what? Easy to figure out, but it's still grammatically incorrect.
"You can move the aimer up and down, with W and S respectively."

3)"Simply destroy the enemy it's glowing on to create energy."
Although there's no real issue here, I think it could be rephrased to provide better context.

4)"By the way, your racing against a giant lazer."
Common mistake- should be you're(you are), not your.

5)"You can't shoot and dying restarts"
Should be like so: "shoot, and dying"

That was all I could spot, although there may be more. I'm glad to help! :GM060:

[EDIT]
A quick other few things I'd like to point out for the finished game:

I wasn't clear on the red power,(using enemy abilities) it felt kind of like a dark art all throughout I was playing. I didn't really get to learn how to use it very well, it was just sort of something I would do after the other two powers were maxed. Maybe that's kind of the point, but I think you should establish the base of this a bit more. Like tell the player what powers are available, and what enemies to get them from, maybe?

Also, maybe have a small little blast-explosion effect(preferably of a green color) on the player when you're hit, while having a shield. Sometimes I'd be surprised I had lost my shield, since there's no real indication that you lost it.(or, no noticeable indication, besides looking at the bar.)

And lastly, I'm just flat out having a lot of trouble with the Stage 2 mini-boss. Maybe it's just me, but if others are having trouble with it too.... Maybe a bit of tweaking to it?

Edited by jakman4242, 31 August 2009 - 01:33 AM.

-- My blog. --

#214 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

I'll take a look for you~ And add small suggestions of what to change them to.(although by no means do you need to use them.)

1)"By default, movement of your ship is arrow keys."
Although there is no real problem with this, it does sound grammatically wrong.(even if there are no true grammatical errors)
"By default, you move your ship with the arrow keys."

2)"Move the aimer with W and S respectively."
Respective to what? Easy to figure out, but it's still grammatically incorrect.
"You can move the aimer up and down, with W and S respectively."

3)"Simply destroy the enemy it's glowing on to create energy."
Although there's no real issue here, I think it could be rephrased to provide better context.

4)"By the way, your racing against a giant lazer."
Common mistake- should be you're(you are), not your.

5)"You can't shoot and dying restarts"
Should be like so: "shoot, and dying"

That was all I could spot, although there may be more. I'm glad to help! :GM060:

[EDIT]
A quick other few things I'd like to point out for the finished game:

I wasn't clear on the red power,(using enemy abilities) it felt kind of like a dark art all throughout I was playing. I didn't really get to learn how to use it very well, it was just sort of something I would do after the other two powers were maxed. Maybe that's kind of the point, but I think you should establish the base of this a bit more. Like tell the player what powers are available, and what enemies to get them from, maybe?

Also, maybe have a small little blast-explosion effect(preferably of a green color) on the player when you're hit, while having a shield. Sometimes I'd be surprised I had lost my shield, since there's no real indication that you lost it.(or, no noticeable indication, besides looking at the bar.)

And lastly, I'm just flat out having a lot of trouble with the Stage 2 mini-boss. Maybe it's just me, but if others are having trouble with it too.... Maybe a bit of tweaking to it?

Oh dang, I can't believe I missed those things. Especially the "your". That's just plain sad for me.

Adding the little blast-explosion or other effect was something I was going to do before the full game is up, so no worries there. I'll try my best with the red power explanations. It's sort of hard. Basically, you get what they shoot. If it looks strong, it probably is. It's usefulness really depends, though. I recently made most of the attacks stronger to give them a better purpose. One thing I don't like about the current system is you can only use it once. That's something I could change, but the thunder cannons play a role in achievements and are so strong, making them fire multiple times would be a big no-no. I could possibly give each power ammo, but that may even further complicate things.

What specifically are you having trouble with in Stage 2? Primarily, to beat the miniboss, you've have to get the timing of the laser down. The first stage should be very easy (if you know what to do), so if that's what you're having trouble with, it has to do with going behind him. If the first stage is the problem, I'll change it to make it easier. I'll also change anything else if it's within the realm of possibility.

Also, what about Level 4? Any suggestions there? Also, the surface effect might not work after playing certain games (TF2, Dead Space, F.E.A.R., etc), just an FYI.

You know what I could do? I could make it so all powerups but the thunder cannons fire repeatedly, I'll just make them weaker. So, as long as you don't die, I'll make it so you can keep firing them. Does that sound like a good idea? I didn't use that originally, as it sounded to much like Varia. The only difference is you can get every power in my game.

Edited by Sulfuric, 31 August 2009 - 03:39 AM.

Posted Image

#215 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

The game's pretty hard-core, (like untitled story), and I think your going to have a bit of difficulty getting casual gaming sits like reflexive to accept it! So it's probably smart to go with the same strategy as untitled story.

Visually, it was pretty impressive, but even with effects turned down 'low' the fps hung around 17, in the intense bits. (even dropping to as low as 8, when I blew the first mini-boss up). This really is the type of game that needs to be played at high speed, so that's a pity for me.

No music for the menu? Or the tutorial?
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#216 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Well, I initially could barely make it past level 2, when there were infinite lives. Now I can't even make it past level 2. :)

This is sort of where repeatedly playing comes in, and thankfully you allow players to skip to a level they'd like to play.

On level 4, I thought it was kind of overkill with the ellipsoid that fired those laser bursts. I couldn't really move to avoid them, after playing level 4, 3 times.
I thought the clouds at the bottom were a bit distracting, but maybe that was the purpose.
-- My blog. --

#217 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

Well, I initially could barely make it past level 2, when there were infinite lives. Now I can't even make it past level 2. :)

This is sort of where repeatedly playing comes in, and thankfully you allow players to skip to a level they'd like to play.

On level 4, I thought it was kind of overkill with the ellipsoid that fired those laser bursts. I couldn't really move to avoid them, after playing level 4, 3 times.
I thought the clouds at the bottom were a bit distracting, but maybe that was the purpose.

Uh... may I ask how you could "barely" beat a level when you couldn't lose ;).

Sorry if you can't make it past level 2... There is a difficulty setting. I plan to make it even easier on easy in the final release.

To beat the bomb enemy that shoots the laser bursts (I think that's who you're talking about), you have to look at where the laser will fire with the red lines. Keep track of those and it's fairly easy. If that doesn't help, just get a thunder cannon from the previous enemy sets, and fire it at him. He'll die shortly after.

The final game won't let you skip levels until you unlock them. Luckily, to unlock them, all you have to do is die so many times (or beat the level). It's sort of like a pity unlockable :). On easy, it shouldn't be so bad.

The clouds aren't meant to distract. I make them go away when they'd really be distracting. Their primary purpose has to do with the fact that the sun is slowly setting throughout the level. It's also suppose to look like fire when the effect is on full bore. Hence the level name: Heaven.hell (like a file extension :P). I'll look through it and see if it get's really distracting at some points.

@Desert Dog: Sorry the game lagged so bad. You can turn off surfaces and lower the graphic detail. It doesn't effect the graphics too much.

The reason the menu and tutorial have no music is... this is still a wip. I'm not sure what music I'll use for them.

You know what, maybe I should rename "easy" to casual? That makes the player feel like they're merely playing a casual version, rather than a version they need to play because they can't play the regular version. I'll make "hard" hardcore as well.

Posted Image

#218 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:43 AM

You know what, maybe I should rename "easy" to casual? That makes the player feel like they're merely playing a casual version, rather than a version they need to play because they can't play the regular version. I'll make "hard" hardcore as well.

That sounds like a good idea!

Umm, I got a few gripes, which I thought I'd share with you... I have no idea if your aware of them, or not..

1: The button for changing full-screen just says.. fullscreen. No matter WHAT you have it on. Shouldn't it say 'windowed' if your on fullscreen, and 'fullscreen' when your windowed? I dunno, something to think about.

2: The game doesn't save my option choices between plays. This is critical for me, because it lags on my computer, so everytime I load it up, I have to go to options, change the effects. (I imagine it is the same with controls.)
Something to think about, not essential, but definitely would be nice.

3: It was hard to tell whether I was damaging the first boss... his little 'flipper' things, I was starting to wonder if they were a type of shield. (so if I hit them I was hurting the boss)

I still don't know. A health bar maybe?

Hmm, well, that's all I got for now. :) Hope this helps a bit,

~DD

Edit: Oh, and is it just me, or does the first mini-boss take aaaages exploding?

Edited by Desert Dog, 01 September 2009 - 03:44 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#219 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

Uh... may I ask how you could "barely" beat a level when you couldn't lose ;).

Sorry if you can't make it past level 2... There is a difficulty setting. I plan to make it even easier on easy in the final release.

To beat the bomb enemy that shoots the laser bursts (I think that's who you're talking about), you have to look at where the laser will fire with the red lines. Keep track of those and it's fairly easy. If that doesn't help, just get a thunder cannon from the previous enemy sets, and fire it at him. He'll die shortly after.

The final game won't let you skip levels until you unlock them. Luckily, to unlock them, all you have to do is die so many times (or beat the level). It's sort of like a pity unlockable :). On easy, it shouldn't be so bad.

The clouds aren't meant to distract. I make them go away when they'd really be distracting. Their primary purpose has to do with the fact that the sun is slowly setting throughout the level. It's also suppose to look like fire when the effect is on full bore. Hence the level name: Heaven.hell (like a file extension :P). I'll look through it and see if it get's really distracting at some points.

@Desert Dog: Sorry the game lagged so bad. You can turn off surfaces and lower the graphic detail. It doesn't effect the graphics too much.

The reason the menu and tutorial have no music is... this is still a wip. I'm not sure what music I'll use for them.

Hmmm, funny how that works. Barely getting past level 2 with infinite lives. :P
I was trying to say that it was already straining to get past it with infinite lives.

I played again, and I managed to get past the level 4 enemy. I didn't notice the lines, when I went back it was much easier. Thanks~

And finally, I like the names you've got going for the difficulties. But with what you have going, since this is such a hardcore shmup to begin with.(being as it goes so far off the tangent, in a good way) Why not add a "extra hard" difficulty, for us insane people? I know I love playing Touhou games on "Lunatic" difficulty. Hey, maybe you could even have a homage to Touhou by naming this extra hard difficulty "Lunatic". Just throwing ideas around, but I would like to suggest an extra hard mode.

Edited by jakman4242, 01 September 2009 - 03:52 AM.

-- My blog. --

#220 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

@Desert Dog: You make good suggestions there. Some of them are currently being implemented. I couldn't before, as... well, there was no method for saving. Now there is, and saving custom settings is the only thing I have left to do with the save feature. I also like the idea of it saying windowed when in fullscreen. It's not really necessary (I hope you can tell if you are or not), but it will add a bit of polish.

If you attack something and it blinks, your hurting it. Most minibosses also emit kind of a blood like mist when you do damage to them. Once you can't hurt certain parts anymore, it will glow white. I may add a health bar, though. The reason I haven't added them yet, is I don't want to make the health bar graphics :whistle:.

Oh, and the miniboss explosion shouldn't take that long. What fps do you get?

@Jackman: I may add more difficulties, but it's been a pain to get them this diverse (and there's not that many changes currently). If there is a Lunatic mode or something similar, you'd probably get 1 life... period (can't get extra).

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, progress on Solar Blue will come to a halt for a while. Why? My computer is kind of broke. I should have the most up to date GM file backed up, though.

As for what's wrong, when my computer turns on, it runs fine. I can do basically anything. I can open photoshop, play F.E.A.R., go online. The only problem (and it's a biggy) is that the computer turns OFF shortly after. It stays on longer and longer (or so it seems) each time, but it's not on long enough to do much. The longest it's stayed on is about 10 minutes. There's also no error messages shown normally, or in the event log. Quite troublesome. If anyone has any idea what this could be and how to fix it, please tell me.

Edited by Sulfuric, 03 September 2009 - 03:10 PM.

Posted Image

#221 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

I've heard of auto-shutdown as a fail-safe to prevent overheating and frying of the motherboard and other internal chipsets. One of your internal fans might have broke.
-- My blog. --

#222 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

Oh, and the miniboss explosion shouldn't take that long. What fps do you get?

Dropped to as low as 5-10, but it was definitely taking longer than that. My computer was screwing it up, I guess.

Congratulations! I considered this game worthwhile enough, for me to take to the (much faster) family computer, and give it a play there.[I do that very rarely] And, boy, it's pretty classy! I averaged 60 fps, for the levels, generally, but against mini-bosses, it would drop to 30 fps, or so. [Lowest I got was... 20? just for a second]

The effects were great, the gameplay was fast, and upbeat, and challenging [certainly enjoyable], and the enemies were quite varied. I love that black-hole effect you got going, when you destroy bosses :whistle:

Edited by Desert Dog, 03 September 2009 - 11:43 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#223 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

I've heard of auto-shutdown as a fail-safe to prevent overheating and frying of the motherboard and other internal chipsets. One of your internal fans might have broke.

Intel chips more so. However, dust clogging is a slightly more conman cause.

#224 Jonlas

Jonlas

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Whoa this looks absolutely beautiful. Pretty amazing things you can do with gamemaker once you have the skills, going to try it :whistle:

Click image to visit our page!
Xbox live gamertag: aKtimelli

#225 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Intel chips more so. However, dust clogging is a slightly more conman cause.

Yeah, that's what someone else said, which is why you told me to do what you told me, I'm assuming. Also, from what I've read, my CPU is far from over heating. It's at about 23 degrees Celsius right now. The max on most of them seems to be around 80 for the CPU.

So, it's probably either dust or my power supply. The time it takes to shut off has increased, so I doubt it's from a virus or software problem.

I have the newest version of Solar Blue backed up. There is a chance I can still work on it, but it would involve not using GM6, which isn't good, as GM7 has a weird problem with sounds causing massive jumps and stutters.

Anyway, thanks for comments. It seems that even your best computer doesn't run this as best as it could, Desert Dog :P. Much better than before, though. As for progress, all I have to do is make an intro, make an outro, change a few things with difficulty and other stuff, and make the Final Boss explosion better. I was hoping to have this done before summer was over... Oh well.

Posted Image

#226 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:22 AM

I'm not dead! Oh, and neither is my computer. MAN! I want to finish this thing. Luckily, my computer is fixed and I may be getting it back tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed (but not constantly, it makes it hard to eat).

I've been spending my time making motor bike physics (works quite well too) and looking in on the Ultimate 3d dll. The motor bike game probably won't be a standalone game (it was going to be, but I lost interest when all I had left to do was make graphics... and they took a long time to do, as I don't like making crappy graphics), but the engine will be used in a future game.

So, Solar Blue still has some work to be done. The main version is really close to completion though. Mostly polish and saving features remain. Oh, and some tweaks and sound stuff... And an intro (my sky castle one). I've been putting that off. At least I used this time to make a new sky castle picture. It's a lot better. GO TABLETS!

Oh, and for those of you wondering, it was heat related. Apparently the temp on the front of my computer measures internal temperature, not CPU temperature. Why was it over heating? A broken fan (and I think the other one had problems too).

Posted Image

#227 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Well, my computer is fixed (at least, I'm quite sure it is). So, I should really start working... Now I just need to remember what I need to do yet. CURSE YOU TWO MONTH BREAK! Hopefully I won't be too distracted by the Left 4 Dead 2 Demo.

Man, I hate bumping.

Posted Image

#228 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

*Almost done!*
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#229 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

yes what happened to this?

it'll be a shame if it's gone under, though that's probably what happend amirite?

FABULOUS

#230 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:59 AM

yes what happened to this?

it'll be a shame if it's gone under, though that's probably what happend amirite?

Actually... no. I know that seems far fetched. Frankly, I should have finished this 2 years ago. It is unbelievably close to done. I pretty much just need one more song and a new host for online highscores.

The thing is... I'm extremely lazy in this regard. I've moved away from it for so long and so often that I have little urge to finish it. It's pretty much done as is, really. The only thing that's missing is the final polish and the change to an unlockable level system/achievements (which I've actually programmed). I almost feel that people won't even play it, though, considering how long it's been a WIP.

I really analogize for those who've stuck by me for so long. My computer has had a bunch of problems throughout the years, including the replacement of my hard drive. Everything has been saved, but the amount of time between fixes retarded a lot of my progress. I will finish it! I think I just need a hard slap in the face. I've actually made a game and started several others during the time between... well this comment and my last one. I still have feelings for Solar Blue, but I've grown since I last worked on it. I understand difficulty curve better and the importance of player testing. I've gotten fun down better, too. This in mind, I may change how power ups work, but that in itself is quite a project. I wouldn't mind making them have ammo, rather than being a one time only use. This would mean much more powerful powerups simply due to precise usage.

I'll get it done! I promise... I just... I don't know when. I keep making projects and not finishing them. This last competition helped me so much! I actually had a deadline. I probably worked roughly 3-4 hours a day for an entire month on average. That is initiative!

Posted Image

#231 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

I completely see where you're comming from. I'm so in exact same situation with one of my own projects it's not even funny.

On the one hand I've made a commitment to finish it, it's nearing completion and I've put a huge amount of effort in.

On the other hand I don't have the drive to work on it, I have serious doubts about the core gameplay and some of the music is in need of being replaced to fit the atmosphere better.

man, making video games sure is serious business.

FABULOUS

#232 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:16 AM

I completely see where you're comming from. I'm so in exact same situation with one of my own projects it's not even funny.

On the one hand I've made a commitment to finish it, it's nearing completion and I've put a huge amount of effort in.

On the other hand I don't have the drive to work on it, I have serious doubts about the core gameplay and some of the music is in need of being replaced to fit the atmosphere better.

man, making video games sure is serious business.

Indeed it is. I have several projects, some of which aren't even video games, that I really want to get done. Somewhere along the line, Solar Blue was forgotten. I will finish it, and hopefully fairly soon. I could probably get it done in less than a week. Now I just have to do it. One other project I've been working on (a Left 4 Dead 2 campaign) has been gaining most of my attention. Sometimes I find myself looking at random videos and websites on the net and realize how much more productive I could be with my time. I go through bouts of just not wanting to think hard.

Here is the definite order of my work schedule (dates aren't really a thing though):
-Finish this section of my L4D2 campaign
-Finish Solar Blue (I may bump this up, actually)
-Make God's Watch 2

I really need to give myself dates and meet them. Don't you just wish the ideas you have would just instantly appear without effort? I sometimes do, but then I remember why I enjoy making video games in the first place: the experience and work it takes to make something from nothing.

Edited by Sulfuric, 25 March 2011 - 03:16 AM.

Posted Image

#233 mvan4310

mvan4310

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

I know how the game making side of things goes. I own Torque 3D Pro, started a game, never finished, got far, but never actually finished. And Now Im using GM to start and catch up to where I was with a game I started making when I was 12, and to be honest, I only need a few things to catch up.

its a real pain to finish a game that is started, and it takes a lot of effort
Current Project:
Unnamed RPG - Progress - 45% - Currently Tackling Quests and Items

#234 Gurman8r

Gurman8r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 194 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

I love this mainly because of the intense visuals, I can't figure out the keyboard controls though.