Photo

Solar Blue - Shmup - Update 8 - Level 4!

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#101 ne_Ziggy

ne_Ziggy

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

Being an avid shmup player, I decided to try this out to see how a GM shmup would turn out.

Boy was I surprised.

This game is pure eye candy. The backgrounds are amazing, the bullets, the dying animations, nearly everything! The bosses were creative as well and fun to dodge. Like all GM games I have played, though, there were some annoying quirks that I feel as though I should point out. Feel free to disregard any ones you don't agree with.

1) Difficulty. Again, I am an avid shmup player, and I found the bosses ridiculously easy. I know some people on this topic found this game hard, so maybe, if you're up to it, you could tweak difficulty settings to include more bullets and such? And... might as well give you an idea as to what I find a difficult boss...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zthnUuzUHxU

and this one as well, this is on the PC.
http://youtube.com/w...feature=related

Yes, I play a ton of these games. :3 Your game, however, is literally THE best looking shmup I have ever seen ever, and I would love to see Ultra difficulty on this. That, is of course, if you're up to it.

Of course, you could also include in a boss creator thing so I can entertain myself. OR two bosses at one. That would be insane. :3

2) The music was overly repetitive and sort of got on my nerves. At least have it change for mini-bosses and bosses. ^^

3) The dying animation, though EXTREMELY pretty, gets kind of boring after the third death. Possible speed-up? (see #5)

4) Some of the bullets were really hard to pick out from the background. In the first level, there were blue bullets with a blue glow on top of a blue background. Kinda makes it hard to dodge, in addition to YOURSELF being blue. Still managed though, but it might be something you'd want to look into.

5) This game was far too slow over-all. I don't know if it was because of the graphics or screens or something, but the bullets were far too easy to dodge and predict, and the speed of the ship annoyed me as well. If it is indeed the graphics that are causing the slowdown, then disregard this. Or at least put frame-skip on.

6) In the second level, I couldn't tell if those swinging... whatever they are, those things in the background, I couldn't tell if they would kill me or not. Perhaps it would be best to fade out background stuff.

Despite all these quirks, keep in mind that these are MINIMAL things that irked me. Believe me, I enjoyed this game all the way to end, and I'm now keeping a lookout for updates on this.

Edited by ne_Ziggy, 17 July 2008 - 08:21 PM.

... Yes, I drew this sig. Stop saying I stole it! D:

#102 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

The speeds are like that...if you made a boss like that...it would be way too slow for it to work as you see the mass effects used in this...

#103 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:52 AM

Actually, I could probably make the boss shoot a tad more bullets. I hope you didn't mind the last shooting style for the boss in the first level (second to last shooting style for the second boss as well). That was more... bullet hell. Over all the game isn't as bullet hell as it could be, but I don't really think I was going for that. I have contemplated doing it on multiple occasions. The third stage also shoots a tone of bullets, and the only way I can think of of making it more bullet hell is if you couldn't destroy them :D. I could easily make the rest more bullet hell. I'll do that for sure. They do kill me, but not as much as the other stuff.

The game shouldn't be too slow. What's your average fps (says in the corner)? Some enemies move faster than others. Hopefully you'll enjoy level three more, where things get quite a bit faster (though with the help of a surface and many objects, it's also the most memory consuming so far). Speaking of slow, I'll try speeding up the death animation. It's faster than Decobliss's, but I knew someone would mention it eventually.

I WILL tone down the background for the second level. Those spiny things can't hurt you, and I don't want people thinking that way. I didn't find it to hard to tune it out when I first made it, so I don't think it's a huge problem for most, but I'll make the glows a bit darker in purple.

Do NOT worry. There will be at least four songs in this game. I've converted two already to OGG Vorbis, so the game size is actually around the same size is was before with other new stuff added.

Difficulty settings are a must too, so I'm sure you'll find the hard setting... harder anyway.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#104 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

THE best looking shmup I have ever seen

Here Here

#105 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:39 AM

I hate me... Stupid edit/reply mix up situation. Please delete me! -_-

Edited by STARFOXROX, 24 July 2008 - 03:28 AM.

Posted Image

#106 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

So, now that the third level is basically done (I need to make it so you can steal the new enemies power ups, along with a few predicaments I need your help with), I thought I'd show what the background will be like in the 4th level, Heaven or Hell. That's right, I'm gonna start naming the levels and minibosses. Aracnopyro anyone (third miniboss name)?

Posted Image

This is with the surface blur effect on. It looks MUCH better in movement, but you get the idea. There's clouds across the bottom, and a sun in the corner. Based upon how far in the level you are, I'll have the sun move (and the level of blur will change based upon who your fighting).

So, here's my problem. The third boss is done, but I'm having problems making the new bullet type for the 8th bullet type. I have the one for the 4th boss, so I need something for the 3rd. I don't really want to use heat in the 4th level, so I'm wondering what I should use. Right now, it shoots bullets, but they're very bullet hell. They fire outward based upon the joints angle, at random speeds. This works, but I don't think it really suits the third level. What should I use?

Also, ne_Ziggy, why does that one video have the Haruhi song playing in the background? Isn't that copyright, or do the makers of the anime have some connection with the game?

Edited by STARFOXROX, 21 July 2008 - 03:46 AM.

Posted Image

#107 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

I thought I'd show what I've accomplished in these three short days:

Posted Image

This is basically the napalm boss, but without the napalm. A giant laser takes its place. The napalm used heat, so it doesn't work so well in this level, and the surface used to create the effect causes lag when too many sprites are on screen.

Posted Image

That doesn't mean it's still not beautiful! The intensity of the effect changes the more you destroy the enemy.

Posted Image

This really is my pride and joy. I think it's the coolest thing I've made in Solar Blue so far. Basically, it's a circle with a huge scythe on it. The enemy comes down and slowly begins to spin, until the scythe whips around at 500 rpm. Let me just say it looks SWEET! I used a new movement engine, which makes the enemy move around quite smoothly, and the scythe uses a sweet blur effect that also takes into account collision checking at that fast speed. Once its spinning fast enough, making the clouds blow away, it moves towards the top, where it moves smoothly back and forth, until suddenly it moves downward at one of the three random locations (middle, far left, far right). It then moves up and slides back to the starting point where it slows down and you can hurt it. The scythe is indestructible, so you need to hit the main body in the center.

Posted Image

#108 ne_Ziggy

ne_Ziggy

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

Also, ne_Ziggy, why does that one video have the Haruhi song playing in the background? Isn't that copyright, or do the makers of the anime have some connection with the game?

No, the maker of the video just decided to play that music. You'd need a pretty fast computer to be able to record Imperishable Night replays, so I'm guessing the maker was forced to record without sound.

AND raring for more updates. This game is amazing, in fact, it's kind of making me want to make my own danmaku. Thank you for inspiring me. :GM109:

#109 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

The visuals are getting even more sweet.

*proceeds to fall in love for Solar Blue and awaits the day of it's completion/next update* :GM109:

(Minor Note: Glad to hear that those spinny-ma-bobbers in level 2 are going to be less noticable. I forgot to mention that I was mistaking them for bullets)
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#110 ne_Ziggy

ne_Ziggy

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Playing the game... having major eyegasms. I wish my computer were faster though, it's still running kind of slow for me. But who cares, this game looks amazing.

Edited by ne_Ziggy, 25 July 2008 - 04:58 AM.

#111 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

I was getting good at this game because i was on a slow computer and found it easy to dodge bullets,...but now i got a computer that runs this so fast that i dont have time to work out where i am and then ive exploded,....THE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING sorry couldnt hold that in

#112 Kumori Karasu

Kumori Karasu

GMC Member

• 106 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

First GMC post in about 3+ years... Played it, enjoyed the visuals very much so, not the game so much... more after i learned to look out for stealth bullets, and i got used to the hitbox. As far as problems go, Basicly everything ne_Ziggy said along with a way to have the game scale or a resolution change so i can see it. (1920x res makes that somewhat difficult)

Since i haven't been here in so many years I am not going to give it any form of a rating or go that in depth because i really don't know what everyone else is doing, just happened to click on this thread first cause it was a Shmup.

And now ill go play some EoSD thanks to it.

#113 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Check out his other projects,....SFR does some good stuff!

for instance,.......the team project with me!?

#114 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

Whoa, lots of replies without even knowing it. Thanks for 'em though. Hate bumping...

Good news! The third level (along with many, many more updates) will be coming VERY soon! Like... tomorrow! Just need to convert my new song to .ogg and test it a bit. You can't steal the napalm enemy's power, but I may change that. You can however steal that one enemy's power that creates a string of lightning (there's pictures somewhere in this topic). The attack is so hard to get... I made it very strong. One basically kills the napalm enemy. I fooled around with it, and using three, I almost killed the ENTIRE third boss (which is 48 joints I do believe).

Posted Image

#115 ne_Ziggy

ne_Ziggy

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

I suppose it was my computer that made it easier than it seemed...

Could you perhaps add in frame-skip to ensure users get 60 FPS?

#116 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

Update!

Solar Blue Demo 7: Download

Demo 7
-level 3
-2 new songs
-use of supersound.dll for .ogg music (smaller file size)
-better targeting method
-toggle keyboard and mouse aiming (enter key)
-5 new enemies, a new miniboss, and a new boss
-pictures representing power ups taken
-glow representing targeting distance
-surface lighting (level 3)
-heat system (level 3)
-and more!

Sorry, no frame skip. I put everything together before I read your post...

Please tell me if you get that generic surface error. It should delete itself if it can't run, but I can't really test it.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 27 July 2008 - 07:49 PM.

Posted Image

#117 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

Nice! Level three is pretty dang sharp! :huh:

Alright, here's what I have to say about update/version 7:

[Mouse/Button Aiming]
Very nice! I did a playthrough with both control styles, and I personally preferred the mouse aiming. I actually did pretty decent with the keyboard aiming, though minibosses had a habbit of dismembering me. :P

[Fixes Since Version 6]
The spinning background objects from level 2 were much better this time around, and giving the aiming system a little more auto targeting was very helpful in getting used to the button aiming. I think you said that the harder difficulties will shrink the autoaiming, which would be awesome!

And speaking of difficulty, are you planning on having harder difficulties affect how much heat you can handle? (Oh yeah, and some of the laser enemies in level 2 do heat damage, right?)

[Level 3]
LOVED the missing-half-its-legs spider (?) mini boss. I almost jumped out of my seat when it fired its napalm-super-guns when it apeared. (I think it was a combination of the size and how fast he turned the guns! Baddass!)

The spinning-napalm-pentagon-super-enemy (why do I keep giving them goofy names, ;) ) was downright beautiful and genious. (fighting that thing was frickin' FUN).

The flowing paths of firery goo were really awesome looking too, and it gave a new spin on the playing.

The only thing about the third level that was a problem was the lag I got. It lost about 20 fps while I was fighting napalm enemies... I'm not sure how you could fix it? It was the only time the game ever slowed down on me...

[New Songs]
Pretty sweet! The new tracks fit really well with the old one. Have you considered making boss/mini-boss music? It may add to the variety?

[Sound]
I think I said something about not really being able to tell if I was hitting bosses, right? I think that adding a mini explosion sound after you destroy an orb off of the bosses would heighten the awesomeness, along with the flames. What do you think?

Awesome update, STARFOXROX. For the day this gets finished, I can't wait, I just can't!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

#118 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:11 AM

Nice! Level three is pretty dang sharp! :GM071:

Alright, here's what I have to say about update/version 7:

[Mouse/Button Aiming]
Very nice! I did a playthrough with both control styles, and I personally preferred the mouse aiming. I actually did pretty decent with the keyboard aiming, though minibosses had a habbit of dismembering me. :P

[Fixes Since Version 6]
The spinning background objects from level 2 were much better this time around, and giving the aiming system a little more auto targeting was very helpful in getting used to the button aiming. I think you said that the harder difficulties will shrink the autoaiming, which would be awesome!

And speaking of difficulty, are you planning on having harder difficulties affect how much heat you can handle? (Oh yeah, and some of the laser enemies in level 2 do heat damage, right?)

[Level 3]
LOVED the missing-half-its-legs spider (?) mini boss. I almost jumped out of my seat when it fired its napalm-super-guns when it apeared. (I think it was a combination of the size and how fast he turned the guns! Baddass!)

The spinning-napalm-pentagon-super-enemy (why do I keep giving them goofy names, :skull: ) was downright beautiful and genious. (fighting that thing was frickin' FUN).

The flowing paths of firery goo were really awesome looking too, and it gave a new spin on the playing.

The only thing about the third level that was a problem was the lag I got. It lost about 20 fps while I was fighting napalm enemies... I'm not sure how you could fix it? It was the only time the game ever slowed down on me...

[New Songs]
Pretty sweet! The new tracks fit really well with the old one. Have you considered making boss/mini-boss music? It may add to the variety?

[Sound]
I think I said something about not really being able to tell if I was hitting bosses, right? I think that adding a mini explosion sound after you destroy an orb off of the bosses would heighten the awesomeness, along with the flames. What do you think?

Awesome update, STARFOXROX. For the day this gets finished, I can't wait, I just can't!

Thanks for the reply. Difficulty will change how heat affects you. Also, it has ONLY been in level 3. The lasers in level 2 just kill you.

Sorry about the lag, but there's nothing I can really do. Each piece of napalms draws 4 sprites, which probably has something to do with it. There more than likely will be an option to change the effects/graphics amount.

I probably will make music for minibosses and bosses. With the help of the dll, I can actually change the music volume, which is good for transitions. I could add a sound when you destroy a joint, but I don't know how necessary it is. The joints turn red, which clearly lets you know you've killed it.

Posted Image

#119 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:14 AM

this game is perhaps even harder then my AtG:D3

Im torn however as to ask for it to be harder or easier,...the difficulty puts you on the edge of your seat,...but its quite maddening.

So i wonder will there be a difficulty option? if so how will it work>?

Edited by DarkFlame, 01 August 2008 - 03:16 AM.

#120 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:30 AM

So... Well, nothing much to say, but I do have a few future unlock ables to share with you all. They're color schemes :)!

Lunar Red
Posted Image

Eclipse
Posted Image

Using the blend mode I used to create the inverse effect for the explosion, I used to create these color schemes. Super easy to do, and cool looking. There probably will be more, but it's hard to say how you'll unlock them.

Posted Image

#121 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

Whoa, I didn't notice your reply DarkFlame. As I've stated before, there will be a difficulty option, which will mostly change the power of your bullets and the amount heat effects you. It may also effect shooting amount for some enemies.

Some new future unlock able color schemes. These are quite different:

Blue Sync
Posted Image

Pastel
Posted Image

Dark Matter
Posted Image

The last one will probably be quite hard to unlock. It's EXTREMELY different. Things are changing like crazy, as it appears to effect alpha amounts.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 04 August 2008 - 04:30 AM.

Posted Image

#122 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:34 AM

The new color schemes that you'll be able to unlock look awesome. Especially the last one. Keep up the good work.
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#123 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

The Dark Matter color scheme looks like a thermograph/infared display! That's pretty sweet... may I ask what kind of blending you used?
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#124 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

Epic explosions are the rage these days, eh?

I'll be trying this out. Looks nice.

#125 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

I played through level 3, and got to the boss, but then had to get off the computer. I played this earlier (I think it was just level 1), and am continually impressed with the progress. The graphics are stunning, the levels are captivating and well-though-out, and the entire game was just mesmerizing. You certainly have a distinct style of SHMUP gameplay, as shown by Decobliss and this; with lots of lasers to dodge (from all directions) and other innovative gameplay and artistic elements.

I thought that the minibosses were great, and I love the mathematical nature of the bosses. The bosses, however, took a little long to beat, and even after just three, it seemed repetitive. I think you should keep the "fractal" forms of the bosses, but perhaps decrease each joint's hit points. It just takes a little long.

As I said before, there seemed to be something a little off with the music. Before, I said there was too much distortion, and clipping. Hearing it again, I don't think there is clipping, and the distortion is fine, but I now think there might be too much bass in the mix. In a way, it sounds a little "muddy." I don't have very large, "bass-boosting" computer speakers, so I'm sure this is much more pronounced on computers with speakers that produce a lot of bass. The third piece had a little too much wah-wah as well.

Overall, I think this represents a new direction for SHMUP's. I look forward to later versions.

~ Theta Games

#126 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not giving away the blending mode just yet, but I may pm it to you. Kairos, do you know you're the reason I started this project?

I'll make the joints a bit weaker then. Don't want boring bosses. Also, my computer doesn't really have bass, so it's about as standard as it comes.

Posted Image

#127 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not giving away the blending mode just yet, but I may pm it to you. Kairos, do you know you're the reason I started this project?

Heh, I read through some of the topic. It's nice to know when people are inspired by others. From the amount of replies in your topic, I'd have to say you've done pretty well compared to me :D

I played through your game for a bit. First thing was that the control scheme was a bit new, but I got used to it. I'm not fond of using buttons to move a cursor restricted on an axis (mouse didn't cut it either). It might be different to move the cursor around with WASD and have it autofire, but these are just suggestions.

Second, some enemies glow so much that it's hard to tell if you're actually hurting them, like some of the laser enemies. Also, level 2's background conflicts with the bullet color of the enemies, which is something you want to avoid.

Third, the bosses are sorta repetitive. They get some additions and some minor new weapons. If you have a way to control each iteration, maybe make one 'ring' rectangles instead of circles, or other interesting/ hard shapes. Possibly let it move in a different direction or push outwards, bringing the other connections with them.

Lastly, I got to level three and this happened:
http://i107.photobuc...airos/qwe-2.png

Possibly a surface issue?

I noticed in level one there were symbols of molecular/ chemical structures, while the cursor had binary in it. I'm not sure what kind of theme you're going for, but I'm assuming a sort of computer or networking world, looking at later levels. The science felt a bit out of place. Or perhaps it's a merge of the two?

Overall I liked the game. Graphics are top-notch and unique. Gameplay was a little slow, but I'm more of a fast paced person anyway. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Kairos, 09 August 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#128 Pokefan200

Pokefan200

Burning With Passion

• 304 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

:P =Me staring at the awesome game that is Solar Blue! 8/10. Good, but a bit too difficult.
I have returned to this forum, a lot more mature than I was back then. I will improve my game making skills, and not give up unless a fatal error occurs.
-October 31, 2009

#129 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for the new posts. I have no how far back in pages this was :P.

Kairos, I'd like to point out that laser enemies emit blood, letting you know you're hurting them. This happens to all stronger enemies. They blink too, but this is a clear identification that they are being hurt. I don't think anything else is really necessary.

Purple background, purple bullets... The lasers are actually purple, but when blended with blue, they appear more red. Where's the confliction? Do you mean them being blue? Blue is the main color throughout the game.

I like your ideas with the bosses. Changing lengths would be cool. I actually made it go for a bit one direction, then switch directions gradually. Go a bit in that direction, and then switch back, doing this over and over. The different shapes may not be a bad idea either. Shapes really isn't the style of the game, but I can probably think of something. I'm not sure what styles I should use.

I'm not sure what's wrong there. It has to be a surface issue, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I've not been able to try this on other computers. Does anyone know what normally causes this?

It is supposed to be sort of a digital/ science theme, but mostly I use what looks cool. That molecule in the background is actually Trypan Blue, a chemical used to die cell structures blue to be more visible. See the blue connection? ::lmao::

Was the game running at 60 fps? I find the game fairly fast paced. There are parts that are faster than others though.

Posted Image

#130 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

I need to play D: All I see is this, and I'm bored...*Plays*

#131 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Video: Level 4

Yep, that's never before seen footage right there. I just want people to know what's in store for them. The quality is pretty bad, and if anyone knows a good, free screen recorder then let me know.

I hope you enjoy the new song (Shining Out From the Center of the Universe). It's my most orchestral song to date.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 22 September 2008 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

#132 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

It seems i've missed two updates!This is the most epic game i've seen on the internet.even though i got slowdown on level three quite a lot.

FABULOUS

#133 FoxInABox

FoxInABox

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6345 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Wohwowow .. This is just pure eyecandy, and the fact that I love Shmup's just makes it taste even better .. Ain't many GMC games that remains on my computer after testing, but this one is moving in with the rest of the games in my "Games"-folder..

Just pure awesome.

#134 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

I'm not an expert Game Maker user, but videogames like this are the best in my opinion; and this one is just great. Amazing!

#135 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Awesome video. My jaw dropped after the sythe (?) boss started it's spin of destruction... :D
I'm only questionable about that flare-y spot that is really slowly falling down. What is that?

Nice to know you're still working on it! (As a matter of fact, I got curious about it again, started searching the GMC for it, and SECONDS later I got a subscription notification. INSANE!)
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#136 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

It seems i've missed two updates!This is the most epic game i've seen on the internet.even though i got slowdown on level three quite a lot.

It's probably the surface. Don't worry, you'll be able to turn them off, though for the third and fourth level, it will really loose it's appeal... Oh well.

Thanks for all the comments. Normally I get about... one... maybe, before I need to reply to bump the topic.

I'm only questionable about that flare-y spot that is really slowly falling down. What is that?

That's not a flare-y spot, it's a sun. It looks much more... "sunny" in-game. The sun is slowly setting as you complete the level.

Now for that demi-boss you saw. I don't know if I've mentioned that one. It's main job is to not die, as in 30 seconds, it explodes, killing you instantly (regardless of shield or not). I've been working on sounds and effects for it, and it's basically done. The explosion looks much better sense I made the video, and it looked pretty good before :).

Here's a full resolution image of the bomb boss.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#137 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

Exemplary work. I've only been through the first level (this is something I want to make gradual progress on), but already this really seems to raise the bar for a game maker SHMUP. Looks beautiful, too. My only problem is the aimer thing.. I like how it locks onto enemies, but it seems like a complicated way to change your weapon spread. Maybe that's something I need to get used to.

#138 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Great presentation although a bit too much flash haha. I was getting lost in it. Ok so I played 5 minutes ... died 10 times. That ended it for me and maybe it was just me but after playing shooters my whole life ... it's frustrating. I did think it was nice and smooth and I would have like to have seen a higher resolution but then maybe not due to the possibility of seizures. I seen a complete car that was dipped in silver with chrome rims and all that ... sounds cool but it was like a cover up cause the car itself was nothing special. However this game could be. You have great graphics ... which would be superb if toned down, smooth controls, good presentation, but the gameplay is super frustrating. It has potential for sure. 7/10. Keep it up pal.

EDIT ... I noticed many people mentioning the difficulty throughout the whole topic and I played demo seven which leads me to believe it won't change? Also I don't mean the glowing is too much as I like the screen above but when you die ... and then restart ... all this stuff is going on. All these flashes. Remember as I said the game is difficult with no learning curve so you will see those flashes often ... or atleast I did.

Edited by Jess Horton, 23 September 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#139 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:14 AM

Great presentation although a bit too much flash haha. I was getting lost in it. Ok so I played 5 minutes ... died 10 times. That ended it for me and maybe it was just me but after playing shooters my whole life ... it's frustrating. I did think it was nice and smooth and I would have like to have seen a higher resolution but then maybe not due to the possibility of seizures. I seen a complete car that was dipped in silver with chrome rims and all that ... sounds cool but it was like a cover up cause the car itself was nothing special. However this game could be. You have great graphics ... which would be superb if toned down, smooth controls, good presentation, but the gameplay is super frustrating. It has potential for sure. 7/10. Keep it up pal.

EDIT ... I noticed many people mentioning the difficulty throughout the whole topic and I played demo seven which leads me to believe it won't change? Also I don't mean the glowing is too much as I like the screen above but when you die ... and then restart ... all this stuff is going on. All these flashes. Remember as I said the game is difficult with no learning curve so you will see those flashes often ... or atleast I did.

Flash? No one has really said it was too "flashy". Perhaps you mean the explosions made by the normal enemies? Don't worry, in the final version, you'll be able to tone down particles. The player explosion won't change... Sorry if I'm sounding stubborn, but I already doubled it's speed, and I still want it to look good.

Higher resolution? You mean make everything bigger? Yeah... That's not gonna happen... Redoing all of the graphics is not even remotely close to something I would consider.

You say you've been playing shooters all your life, but have you played shmups? There is a pretty big difference. Shmups are supposed to be very hard. I can tell you that there are much harder shmups on the GMC. Like many of the difficult ones, it takes skill to be great at it. Once you beat a level in the final version, you'll have unlocked it however, and you will instantly be able to return to previous levels.

This is basically "normal" difficulty. My only advice to you is to kill things as FAST as you can. Also, don't be afraid to be more focused on dodging bullets than killing the enemies. Use you're peripheral vision.

7/10... I think that's the lowest score so far, and after this many pages, that isn't half bad.

Exemplary work. I've only been through the first level (this is something I want to make gradual progress on), but already this really seems to raise the bar for a game maker SHMUP. Looks beautiful, too. My only problem is the aimer thing.. I like how it locks onto enemies, but it seems like a complicated way to change your weapon spread. Maybe that's something I need to get used to.

The aimer is mostly for collecting powerups. Now, after level one, it is really necessary as some enemies are below you, and with the aimer you can kill them. The napalm demi-boss is a good example.

Here's a question for you. Has anyone wanted to be able to shoot that chain lightning in the third level? Well, believe it or not, YOU CAN! Yes, it is VERY hard, but you can get it. The fourth level, however, gives you a better opportunity, as the enemy has less health. While I didn't try very hard in the video (I let things shoot to show what it looked like and what not), during that standard area between the demi-bosses, you can get the power up to get it. It almost instantly kills the bomb boss, which is far from a bad thing :mellow:.

Posted Image

#140 naruto8foxkid

naruto8foxkid

Uber Anime Fan

• 403 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:22 AM

I can't wait for Level 4!

#141 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

I wasn't making demands about a resolution change ... I said I would have liked to see it. Just for a note ... higher resolution doesn't mean ALL of your sprites have to get bigger and if you don't believe me ... pm me. I made an opinion which would be exactly the reason you have it posted ... right ... to get opinions? Have I played shooters ... or the more modern way shmups ... I'm thirty and I have been playing shooters since ... I was ten or so. Shmups stands for shoot em up right ... don't tell me people think it's a new genre which is a shooter that's harder? I guess you haven't played Gradius 5 or R-type which are shooters and they are extremely hard and I beat both because they are excellent in the way they made it fun and those games made you want to play more. Sorry man I gave you a fair review and you seem to be unhappy about it. All I did was give an opinion and I never said the game was bad at all. I would have liked to play it in the end to see how it turned out but it just became something I'll have to skip. I would consider a 7/10 to be good and would love to see that score on any game I was to develop ... it's unfortunate you expect to it to be more and are insulted because it's the lowest you have seen. Good luck with game pal.

EDIT - Here to make you feel better I'll rate it an 8/10 and that's because it does indeed have a good appeal. I can't lie to you man I am a gameplay freak and it's what makes games good to me. I have seen beautiful games over here at the GMC such as this one but that doesn't matter to me which explains my rating.

Edited by Jess Horton, 24 September 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#142 PurpleSquerkle

PurpleSquerkle

GMC Member

• 268 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

This game is so pretty!

And... shiny!

...And... stuff.

Cool firing system, too.
And it's difficult. I like difficulty!

#143 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:39 AM

I wasn't making demands about a resolution change ... I said I would have liked to see it. Just for a note ... higher resolution doesn't mean ALL of your sprites have to get bigger and if you don't believe me ... pm me. I made an opinion which would be exactly the reason you have it posted ... right ... to get opinions? Have I played shooters ... or the more modern way shmups ... I'm thirty and I have been playing shooters since ... I was ten or so. Shmups stands for shoot em up right ... don't tell me people think it's a new genre which is a shooter that's harder? I guess you haven't played Gradius 5 or R-type which are shooters and they are extremely hard and I beat both because they are excellent in the way they made it fun and those games made you want to play more. Sorry man I gave you a fair review and you seem to be unhappy about it. All I did was give an opinion and I never said the game was bad at all. I would have liked to play it in the end to see how it turned out but it just became something I'll have to skip. I would consider a 7/10 to be good and would love to see that score on any game I was to develop ... it's unfortunate you expect to it to be more and are insulted because it's the lowest you have seen. Good luck with game pal.

EDIT - Here to make you feel better I'll rate it an 8/10 and that's because it does indeed have a good appeal. I can't lie to you man I am a gameplay freak and it's what makes games good to me. I have seen beautiful games over here at the GMC such as this one but that doesn't matter to me which explains my rating.

Don't make me seem like I was yelling at you. I wasn't. I didn't get mad at all, and if you notice, I have used many peoples opinions throughout the games development. 7/10 doesn't bug me. I was happy that that's the lowest so far. It's average, which doesn't mean bad (though... I have been kind of a perfectionist). You also only played 5 minutes, which means you didn't see any of the really good stuff. I realize the difficulty turned you off the game, but, you do have unlimited lives :).

Can you please explain the resolution thing? I was planning on redoing the circular glow, as it clips off a bit... Resizing it is a different issue. Now, that shock wave could probably be a sprite. It would increase the file size, but it would definitely make it look better, so I WILL take that into consideration.

I figured when you said you played shooters you meant games like... Team Fortress 2 :). You know, fps and what not. Shmups are shooters, but it's more of a sub genre. I guess like R-type, you just have to get good at the game. I'm not really sure how to make it easier anyway... Less bullets? There will be less bullets on easy! Don't forget that!

Gameplay is most important to me as well, which is why I tried implementing so many new gameplay types and adding so many types of enemies and patterns. I still think I need more. Like anything new (I know it's not super new, but you know...), you have to get used to it. Did you know that the aimer used to not target! :GM063:! Glad I changed that :).

You seem much more hostile than I was. It's very true, this game is late in development. Changing major things is hard.

Thanks for the comments!

By the way:

Demo 7 now works for Vista users!

Edited by STARFOXROX, 25 September 2008 - 02:13 AM.

Posted Image

#144 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hostile ... me? No way pal. Haha yea I do play alot of FPS but I do love 2d shooters as well. Alright here it is ... I think if maybe the game began with a level that had less bullets and made you feel like you could be it with ease would be great. To start a game where dying seems definite ... that is what I found tough. That is what I meant earlier when I said it needs a learning curve. Start by making the player feel all warm and cozy haha .... then crush them with all kinds of chaos because then they are already in the game and they feel it :)

No you are right I did only play 5 minutes. If that 5 minutes would have be me kicking the games a** ... I would have loved to try and keep going. There has to be a reward in games even if it is just beating a level. I'm not judging your game for graphics or it would be a 10. I based it off of many factors. I hope this helps you out ... I'm sure I didn't explain myself well but my intentions are good ... I'd like to play the game and maybe the difficulty just got to me right away. I'll try it again.

The resolution ... just because the game has a fixed resolution ... it was not in anyway a factor in my rating and it really is nothing more than a wish. See when you play a 2d shooter and have a full screen, it's awesome because it really makes the levels bigger. So if I were going to do it ... I would just have the levels bigger because your sprites, surfaces, and particles are perfect size. I'm just talking about the playing field being the same size as the window. I know it would suck a bit for you to do ... I know you are using primitives and surfaces so it's alot of work unless you made global attributes in which case you're fine just modify those. Like I said ... not a requirement ... doesn't make the game bad at all :)

Alright man haha ... this thread is disrupting my game time :GM063: Good luck bud, and try out the learning curve thing which will let players think they are in charge and then .... then bring the pain :)

#145 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

This game is very addicting...thats about all I can say other than amazing graphics.

#146 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

Hostile ... me? No way pal. Haha yea I do play alot of FPS but I do love 2d shooters as well. Alright here it is ... I think if maybe the game began with a level that had less bullets and made you feel like you could be it with ease would be great. To start a game where dying seems definite ... that is what I found tough. That is what I meant earlier when I said it needs a learning curve. Start by making the player feel all warm and cozy haha .... then crush them with all kinds of chaos because then they are already in the game and they feel it :(

No you are right I did only play 5 minutes. If that 5 minutes would have be me kicking the games a** ... I would have loved to try and keep going. There has to be a reward in games even if it is just beating a level. I'm not judging your game for graphics or it would be a 10. I based it off of many factors. I hope this helps you out ... I'm sure I didn't explain myself well but my intentions are good ... I'd like to play the game and maybe the difficulty just got to me right away. I'll try it again.

The resolution ... just because the game has a fixed resolution ... it was not in anyway a factor in my rating and it really is nothing more than a wish. See when you play a 2d shooter and have a full screen, it's awesome because it really makes the levels bigger. So if I were going to do it ... I would just have the levels bigger because your sprites, surfaces, and particles are perfect size. I'm just talking about the playing field being the same size as the window. I know it would suck a bit for you to do ... I know you are using primitives and surfaces so it's alot of work unless you made global attributes in which case you're fine just modify those. Like I said ... not a requirement ... doesn't make the game bad at all :whistle:

Alright man haha ... this thread is disrupting my game time ;) Good luck bud, and try out the learning curve thing which will let players think they are in charge and then .... then bring the pain ;)

Well, if you play past the first level, you'll find it gets much harder. Those little enemies that shoot at you are really easy to kill! Just move to where they spawn in the stream and keep firing. You should be able to kill them all before they even fire.

There is a learning curve, though I guess it starts out pretty high, and then gets REALLY high.

Currently the game is 640 x 608. The blackness is from the full screen setting. I don't know how big your moniter is, but for me it takes up most of the screen (I have a 1024x768). I don't think I can make the playing area bigger at this point, as it would involve redoing all of the enemy creation and movements... I think I understand what you mean by resolution change, but what about people with smaller moniters? If it were bigger than there's, wouldn't it not work right? Do you mean make it 800x600 so it fills up more? I'll try that and see what it looks like. Right now, it's in it's technical highest resolution state, as no scaling is involved. By the way, I have used any primitives :GM044:.

I'm glad no one's hostile. I don't want any arguments. I'm glad you liked the game, but I've found my friends and many people here get used to it quite fast. I'll see what I can do. I don't want to make it too easy in the beginning. It's been like this so long, it's gonna be weird fiddling with it o_O.

Edit: Okay, so that resolution thing didn't make it look much different (except things were more pixely) so that really won't help in faking the room getting bigger. I did notice that surfaces didn't work right. Does anyone know what can cause surfaces to become weird due to resolution changes? Right now, the drawing and length/width of the surfaces is based upon the room.

Also, could you please explain to me what parts specifically are hard? I'm sure you can beat the little guys okay in the beginning. Is it those spinny guys? I could probably lessen there destructive power, but keep in mind those little guys play an important role. Get under there creation point, and boom! You just got a whole purple bar filled up.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 26 September 2008 - 02:44 AM.

Posted Image

#147 Jess Horton

Jess Horton

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

You know ... now that I know your resolution I see why it is that size. I have a 24 inch and I use 1600x1200 so to me it does seem small but statistically your resolution is just as common as mine. If that is what you are working on than that makes sense :whistle: It's cool. If I want to play it in the end I'll just have to get used to difficulty so don't worry about it :( Cool game though ;)

The manual does state if you change resolution after the surfaces are initialized they will be messed up ... I don't have my machine right now so I am just remembering .... there for don't quote me haha but it's something like that.

#148 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

You know ... now that I know your resolution I see why it is that size. I have a 24 inch and I use 1600x1200 so to me it does seem small but statistically your resolution is just as common as mine. If that is what you are working on than that makes sense :rolleyes: It's cool. If I want to play it in the end I'll just have to get used to difficulty so don't worry about it :rolleyes: Cool game though :whistle:

The manual does state if you change resolution after the surfaces are initialized they will be messed up ... I don't have my machine right now so I am just remembering .... there for don't quote me haha but it's something like that.

Alright, cool. I just remember someone saying that the surfaces didn't work right, and I don't want that ;)!

Whoa, big monitor. And I thought mine was a good size :P. I don't want this game to be too hard in the beginning, so if there is anything that I should change then just tell me. I need specifics here though. It's hard to tell what things are hard when I've been playing this game for about 7 months ::lmao::.

Posted Image

#149 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

Im sure if cactus were here he would be extremely envious, and thats just from watching the latest video!

#150 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4208 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

Solar Blue Review - By stubbjax02

When I opened this game up for the first time, I literally said, "Wow!" out loud. The graphics detail and the music immediately pulled me into the game. While the effects were all very nice, the difficulty of the game got to me a bit. First of all I had to get used to the controls, which was quite tricky while there were enemies shooting all over the place. I must have died at least fifteen times on the first level. Some of the enemies gave no warning when they were going to start shooting and just shot me down in a split second. On level 2 there are the enemies that fire the laser beams. Sometimes they rotate in such a way that you are stuck and death is unavoidable.

Level 3 introduced some dangerous enemies that charged up their cannons and then fired at you. Now at first, I didn't know what they were doing, in fact, I didn't even notice the sparkly effects appearing around their cannons. When I instantly disappeared in a massive beam I was like, "what just happened?" before realising they had been charging their massive laser cannon.

Some aspects of the game are OK, such as unlimited lives (you seriously need them) and the mouse aiming. You should display the number of deaths. I also found the spaceship's heat level quite intriguing. The electric cables coming across the screen on level 3 were a brilliant idea. I experienced almost no lag except when I destroyed the enemy that shoots the large flame thrower (level 3) at you and the explosion dropped the FPS to around 30, but never mind that, it looked kind of cool exploding in slow motion.

While fighting the final boss, I noticed that when it was in the first stage, there are several places where you can stay and the bullets will never hit you. Also the red, heat seeking missiles it fires at you shouldn't be so fast as they just suddenly fired at me and I died. The game also needs a pause button.

Overall, needs serious work done on the difficulty level, but graphics and music are superb.

Presentation: 4/10
Graphics: 9.6/10
Sound: 8/10
Gameplay: 5.2/10

I hope you learned something, STARFOXROX.
2qi1d8l.jpg