Photo

Solar Blue - Shmup - Update 8 - Level 4!

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#51 Phaze

Phaze

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

First things first: Beautiful graphics. It's not as though I could have made that. BUT, while your lasers and tasers are aesthetically pleasing, well, I was bored to death by the gameplay!

Now bear with me, I'm not just here to tell you that I would rather have spent those ten minutes watching cats stick their heads through the ceiling, but to inform you of where and when I was really bored the most.

So I fly around in my spaceship, right, just cruisin'n' looking for spacebabes. All of a sudden I get jumped by other spaceships--that's what they look like, anyways. And while I'm fumbling to get a grip on things, because, yea, the controls are a mess, I get shot at by--wait... I don't know what they are.

And really, why the things they shoot at me are really pretty, did you make any effort to allow me to survive? Sure I can shoot back, but it's not like hitting is easy with those miserable controls. And so we sit there and shoot at each other, and once in a while I kill them but a lot more often, they kill me.

And so I wait for the fun to start, because all those pretty gold stars that others' gave you points towards your game having some, and well... it just never came.

I met the first miniboss, and yea he transformed. But until then it was all the same for at least a minute or whatnot. Did I hit him? Who knows. He didn't bleed or explode, and I really like blood and explosions. Did I make him transform? Haven't got a clue. Anyways, after shooting him, he turned into something else and shot some new type of bullets that I had to dodge just like all the others. I shot him some more, he transformed and I died a few times. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, he died and HURRAY! I beat him... or something. Boring.

Some more shooting. Really, not worth talking about, and I get to the boss boss. He's a big guy and he's made up of rings of some sort. They spin around, and just like all the normal spaceships, bullets come out that you have to dodge. Exiting. And I dodge and shoot. He sits there, spins around, and shoots. I'm falling asleep just writing about it. So he spun around for a minute or two, and then he had some new type of bullets. These I could shoot. FINALLY some diversity. But too late. I was bored and couldn't deal with the pace of things.

Again. Beautiful. But who cares when it bores people to death and makes them post things like this.

GFX 6/6 - Attention to detail, pleasing lights and colors.
GMP 2/6 - Nearly nonexistent. Cheesy opponents and oddly implemented features.
SND 4/6 - Music was above average, matched the theme(?) somewhat. No sounds. 
INV 2/6 - Nice ideas (transforming minibosses, circle-thing bosses). Not integrated effectively.
THM 1/6 - Space? Water? What are those chemistry formulas?
CNT 2/6 - Not meant for humans.
ALL 3/6 - Good looking game that _might_ make it to the top. _Might_.

All rights of my own opinion reserved.

#52 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

First things first: Beautiful graphics. It's not as though I could have made that. BUT, while your lasers and tasers are aesthetically pleasing, well, I was bored to death by the gameplay!

Now bear with me, I'm not just here to tell you that I would rather have spent those ten minutes watching cats stick their heads through the ceiling, but to inform you of where and when I was really bored the most.

So I fly around in my spaceship, right, just cruisin'n' looking for spacebabes. All of a sudden I get jumped by other spaceships--that's what they look like, anyways. And while I'm fumbling to get a grip on things, because, yea, the controls are a mess, I get shot at by--wait... I don't know what they are.

And really, why the things they shoot at me are really pretty, did you make any effort to allow me to survive? Sure I can shoot back, but it's not like hitting is easy with those miserable controls. And so we sit there and shoot at each other, and once in a while I kill them but a lot more often, they kill me.

And so I wait for the fun to start, because all those pretty gold stars that others' gave you points towards your game having some, and well... it just never came.

I met the first miniboss, and yea he transformed. But until then it was all the same for at least a minute or whatnot. Did I hit him? Who knows. He didn't bleed or explode, and I really like blood and explosions. Did I make him transform? Haven't got a clue. Anyways, after shooting him, he turned into something else and shot some new type of bullets that I had to dodge just like all the others. I shot him some more, he transformed and I died a few times. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, he died and HURRAY! I beat him... or something. Boring.

Some more shooting. Really, not worth talking about, and I get to the boss boss. He's a big guy and he's made up of rings of some sort. They spin around, and just like all the normal spaceships, bullets come out that you have to dodge. Exiting. And I dodge and shoot. He sits there, spins around, and shoots. I'm falling asleep just writing about it. So he spun around for a minute or two, and then he had some new type of bullets. These I could shoot. FINALLY some diversity. But too late. I was bored and couldn't deal with the pace of things.

Again. Beautiful. But who cares when it bores people to death and makes them post things like this.

GFX 6/6 - Attention to detail, pleasing lights and colors.
GMP 2/6 - Nearly nonexistent. Cheesy opponents and oddly implemented features.
SND 4/6 - Music was above average, matched the theme(?) somewhat. No sounds. 
INV 2/6 - Nice ideas (transforming minibosses, circle-thing bosses). Not integrated effectively.
THM 1/6 - Space? Water? What are those chemistry formulas?
CNT 2/6 - Not meant for humans.
ALL 3/6 - Good looking game that _might_ make it to the top. _Might_.

All rights of my own opinion reserved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Arrg... You obviously hate shmups, because mine is like many others. I'd really appreciate it if you'd tell me a way to improve the controls. Try to be less insultive in your replies. It will make less people hate you.

Wait... You don't want to be able to kill the miniboss? If somethings flashing, YOUR HURTING IT! If you injure the miniboss enough, he transforms. Fairly simple. Can you not tell by a giant explosion that you have defeated an enemy?

Like many shmups before this one, the atmosphere has no relavence to anything. Shmups let people be creative. I can put anything I want into the background. Who said this was actually in space? I went for more of a digital feel. Sure it doesn't have to do with flying in a room full of poop like a game you released, but I find that more creepy than original :lol:.

I don't spend much time on graphics... Now I know how Fred feals...

"_"?

I don't mine you critiquing me, but could you please tell me how to improve instead of just bashing the game? Though making blood coming out of enemies to signify hurting would be cool :rambo.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 19 March 2008 - 02:47 AM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#53 Akinzin

Akinzin

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

Graphics are very impressive! Wish I could do GFX like that. Nice work 5/5.

#54 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

im sorry phaze but you obviously dont understand,...this game is actually really really good,...either you made a typo (ALL 6/6 this is so damn cool)

or your just jealous :rambo

#55 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

:) I think it is very good...First...and best SHMUP I played. I went out to compare...

I think he IS jealous...

STARFOXROX, does the music in this game relate to your other SHMUP's music? I found them similar in a way!

#56 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

Nice start! You certainly have a unique style of games, both with graphics and gameplay. I love the 'glowiness,' especially with the miniboss's bullets.

I found the game a little hard, but I suppose I need to get used to the controls and the aiming system. I really like the increase in stats, especially with the ability to 'take on your enemies' powers.' However, I found it hard to manage that while shooting and dodging bullets. I think the controls are fine, but the difficulty needs to be lowered just a bit.

The music was pretty good, though could be a little quieter. Also, it seems to play at a low quality, like the main synthesizer voice is distorted. Musically, I think a 'cleaner' sound would fit better.

Excellent start, though! This definitely will be at the same calibre as Decobliss.

~ Theta Games

#57 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

Thank you for your support :), I just wanted him to tell me how to improve it after he gave his opinion... Which probably took 5 to 10 minutes to right. Could another minute be wasted on telling me what I could do to make it better? I guess that's the internet for you. People try to make other people mad at each other. I think that's Internet Rule number 47.

GMREC1111, my song in the shmup Decobliss, "Underdrive" is my favorite creation. I like it's sound and rhythm, so I tried to make another song like it. My new song, "Driving the Rhythm", is what I got out of it. It's not as good, but it ain't bad.

Thetagames, If you're referring to the guitar distortion... Well, sorry, that's just how I like my guitars. I could get rid of it, but when taking it away it sounds less... exciting. I also like keeping my music loud because I try to make it the main focus.

Oh, and who could forget my newly created second miniboss?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:09 AM

They have the twinkling sound in them both...and make this song longer...it needs more awesomeness!

#59 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

Thetagames, If you're referring to the guitar distortion... Well, sorry, that's just how I like my guitars. I could get rid of it, but when taking it away it sounds less... exciting. I also like keeping my music loud because I try to make it the main focus.

I like guitars that way too. I was talking more about the sound quality; it sounded like there was some clipping in the audio. It is really no big deal.

I agree with you; the music should be the main focus in this case. You should therefore mix it well above other audio (which you did). I suppose you could just lower everything, so that the player would have more control over the volume of the game with his or her computer's Volume Control. As it stands, even at the lowest setting, the music was fairly loud.

#60 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

I like guitars that way too. I was talking more about the sound quality; it sounded like there was some clipping in the audio. It is really no big deal.

I agree with you; the music should be the main focus in this case. You should therefore mix it well above other audio (which you did). I suppose you could just lower everything, so that the player would have more control over the volume of the game with his or her computer's Volume Control. As it stands, even at the lowest setting, the music was fairly loud.

Reason makes very high quality music, so I don't see how any clipping could effect the quality. It sounds all right to me. Where specifically do you hear it?

Posted Image

#61 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:45 AM

I think this is a good excuse for a bump:

Solar Blue Demo 4: Download

Demo 4
Demo 4 Includes:
-completed version of level 2! (as of right now)
-5 new enemies
-some minor bug fixes
-some minor graphical updates

Posted Image

#62 lo_lord

lo_lord

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

Gfx are uber... 10/10
Gameplay was too hard, either i suck or im just to use to other games, aiming was especially annoying for some reason... 7/10
Music was alright but im not sure if it suited the game entirely, i guess it suited at times... 7/10

Anything else i should be rating? Im not sure, any way as a whole i would rate... 9/10

I will have to play it again to see if my opinion changes.

#63 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:44 AM

Gfx are uber... 10/10
Gameplay was too hard, either i suck or im just to use to other games, aiming was especially annoying for some reason... 7/10
Music was alright but im not sure if it suited the game entirely, i guess it suited at times... 7/10

Anything else i should be rating? Im not sure, any way as a whole i would rate... 9/10

I will have to play it again to see if my opinion changes.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sorry about the learning curve on the aiming. It takes a while to get used to, but I find just letting the aimer do it's thing will still get you some power-upage. I really want the game to be this way, and any other aiming style I can think of would make it too easy, harder (o_O), or it just wouldn't be the same. Besides making targeting go a greater distance, what could I do to make it easier? This is considered the medium difficulty in it's current state.

What didn't you like about the music. I really like adding guitars in my songs :P, just a habit. I could probably make a more digital song, but I've been having mixed views on how people like the song. Some love it, they want to keep it forever, and some don't think it quite fits. I'm thinking of also using my song "Underdrive" from my other shmup Decobliss. I luvz dat song :(!

Posted Image

#64 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

I decided to bump this topic because no one has really played the second level. First person to find the two things I forgot in the second level gets a digital cookie :whistle:!

I tried making blood come out of enemies. Right now it looks more like slicey smoke. It looks pretty cool, but it works best with enemies that have a lot of health, letting a bunch of it come out. If I can't make it look more like blood then I probably just add the smoke blood to enemies with quite a bit of health, especially minibosses and bosses.

Posted Image

#65 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

Yay! Cookies. Downloading...

Man, why does such a great game have no attention?!?

#66 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

Yay! Cookies. Downloading...

Man, why does such a great game have no attention?!?

I'm glad you like it so much. You've really kept up with this topic :D. I guess it doesn't get attention because it's not another Metroid, Mario, or Zelda clone... Not that they're all bad on the GMC, I just people would make original stuff more.

The 3rd level is gonna have a sort of light engine that has illuminating darkness to show the background from enemies and other glowing sources :(! It's also going to be tinted green and have more unique enemies such as electricity that follows along lines and larger enemies that shoot napalm like acid :P!

Posted Image

#67 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Why don't you add debris? Like it actually destroys the other thing instead of making it go in a flash. I say original is good...who likes a clone? Let the original makers make a new game.

I just people would make original stuff more.

Look over that sentence...

I really want to see the boss editor...It seems you have a very flexible boss engine...

#68 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:57 AM

Why don't you add debris? Like it actually destroys the other thing instead of making it go in a flash. I say original is good...who likes a clone? Let the original makers make a new game.

I just people would make original stuff more.

Look over that sentence...

I really want to see the boss editor...It seems you have a very flexible boss engine...

I could add debris. I made the stronger enemies have that sort of "blood" come out of them I mentioned earlier. Hmm... Debris... That would be fairly easy. I guess I should give it a try :). I know those napalm guys are so big, they're going to have their own type of explosion.

Posted Image

#69 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

Solar Blue Demo 5: Download

Demo 5
Demo 5 Includes:
-debris
-a blood like mist that sprays out some enemies
-new sounds
-took out the things I forgot to last demo
-boss explosions now invert the screen to make it look cooler
-boss attack order has changed slightly
-some colors have been altered
-easier (dieing only reduces bars by ten and minibosses give you primary attack power)

Edited by STARFOXROX, 03 June 2008 - 02:11 AM.

Posted Image

#70 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

wow thats REALLY alot cooler!

its just,...WOW

great!

no really its awsome!!!

Edited by DarkFlame, 26 April 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#71 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

I can almost cry on how little attention this is getting, STARFOXROX spent a lot time on it and it got attention in the beginning and now it's...This was the first SHMUP I played and now I go around playing others :)

Downloads at: 54 kb/s
Time Left: 20 Minutes

Worth the wait :mellow:

Edited by GMREC1111, 26 April 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#72 ShadowSaber

ShadowSaber

GMC Member

• 202 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Man, I love this game. The way the graphics and music blend together makes it a blast to play. All I can really ask is that you make some sort of saving mechanism or something, becaause it is kind of annoying having to make my way all the way back to level 2 each time. And yeah, your boss engine is amazing.
andrergsanchez - Art is a limited representation of reality. You choose what to represent, to give it emphasis. A movie isn't how many scenes or actors or characters there are, a painting is not how big it is. Making a game is more about choosing the most important things than trying to pile stuff up.

#73 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for the replies you guys.

There may be some sort of saving mechanism. I do know there will be unlockables and other fun things to do. If there is a "Start at Level 2" feature, it'll probably be unlocked after you get to level two a certain number of times. Most unlockables will be unlocked multiple ways, such as getting so far, getting a certain highscore, or dieing a certain number of times :GM073:.

I made a new song for the game. It's better than the first one, and it'll probably start playing at the 3rd level. I need to convert my music to .ogg so the file size is small, though.

Also, I started making the 3rd level. I already implemented the lighting engine I mentioned earlier, and the sides of the room have wave like structures. Here's a picture:

Posted Image

It looks better in game. The the waves are made by a bunch of lines going in and out to look like it's rippling.

You probably see the word "heat" on the side there. This level is going to have a heat system implemented. If your heat gets to high (it increases by green lasers, napalm, and certain types of bullets) you die.

Should I put up a small demo that consists of a boss editor? It would be very simple mind you (use GM text boxes), I just want people to see it. The boss editor in the final version will have custom text boxes.

Posted Image

#74 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

The graffix are amazingly snazzy!

FABULOUS

#75 stockie

stockie

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

One word - WOW.

I don't even know how to play (well, I do, I just can't) but it's a great game and the graphics are top-rate. Did you make them yourself?

#76 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

Do you have any plans on adding a Mouse Aim version? That would help because the Aimer moves so slowly. I could destroy with the mouse!
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#77 stockie

stockie

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:00 AM

Maybe that might help me....

Edited by stockie, 03 June 2008 - 08:03 AM.

#78 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

Yep, I made the graphics myself.

I may still add a mouse aim version. I made a test of it... and I really sucked with it. I kept trying to move to the left or right and I couldn't (that's how I set it up and how it will be if I do make it). I can see it being a setting, but it'll probably move the same speed and if it moves faster, it won't target.

New screeny!

Posted Image

Electricity travels along the wires. If you touch it, your heat goes up drastically.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 03 June 2008 - 02:10 AM.

Posted Image

#79 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:38 AM

was it WASD moving?

#80 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:28 AM

was it WASD moving?

Do you mean was it WASD to move? No, not right now. Right now it's the arrow keys. Look at the topic post for controls :P. In the future, I'm sure I'll have custom control settings... 'cause... why not?

Posted Image

#81 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

This is the first game made in GM that just made me just sit back and say holly sh**.
10/10
:P

#82 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

This is the first game made in GM that just made me just sit back and say holly sh**.
10/10

yeah sfr will make you do tha alright

#83 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:10 AM

3rd level looks the best so far. It should also be the most interesting. I'll also let the player turn off surfaces for weaker computers.

Posted Image

#84 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:21 AM

The napalm enemy is almost done, so I thought I take this time to bump the topic... I mean show what it to you.

Posted Image

This is the most complex enemy so far. It's the only enemy that stops other enemies from coming in, and it doesn't fly out, you have to kill it. It's also the only enemy made of seperate pieces you must kill. It's not as complex as a miniboss, as it only has one firing mode. It shoots out that napalm like substance while turning basically randomly. That napalm hurts, and stays for a while, so you have to try to stay behind it to survive. You can also try dashing through it before your heat reaches it's limit.

Posted Image

The enemy is also one of the prettiest things in the game so far. It may be a tad system heavy, but it shouldn't effect gameplay if you lag a tad. I'll also have a graphics option for surfaces and particles, so don't worry. Click to see it in all its glory!

Posted Image

I also created a new explosion type. It's sort of electricy. :unsure: Oooo, the colors!

Edited by STARFOXROX, 17 June 2008 - 02:25 AM.

Posted Image

#85 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:56 AM

was it WASD moving?

Do you mean was it WASD to move? No, not right now. Right now it's the arrow keys. Look at the topic post for controls :unsure:. In the future, I'm sure I'll have custom control settings... 'cause... why not?

What I mean is, with the mouse aiming, was it WASD to move? Because that can make a difference. I still support a mouse aiming version!

#86 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

was it WASD moving?

Do you mean was it WASD to move? No, not right now. Right now it's the arrow keys. Look at the topic post for controls <_<. In the future, I'm sure I'll have custom control settings... 'cause... why not?

What I mean is, with the mouse aiming, was it WASD to move? Because that can make a difference. I still support a mouse aiming version!

Oh, yes of course. Arrow keys and a mouse are a really bad combination unless you're a lefty.

Posted Image

#87 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

was it WASD moving?

Do you mean was it WASD to move? No, not right now. Right now it's the arrow keys. Look at the topic post for controls ^_^. In the future, I'm sure I'll have custom control settings... 'cause... why not?

Oh, yes of course. Arrow keys and a mouse are a really bad combination unless you're a lefty.

Yeah. It'd be nice if you did though. Just because that way I might do good.

#88 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:18 AM

was it WASD moving?

Do you mean was it WASD to move? No, not right now. Right now it's the arrow keys. Look at the topic post for controls :). In the future, I'm sure I'll have custom control settings... 'cause... why not?

Yeah. It'd be nice if you did though. Just because that way I might do good.

I will then. The aimer won't go any faster then the current version though, it'll just slight to the mouse's position, but only on the y axis. That's why I found it hard. Every time I tried to aim, I'd try to move it on both axis, and it felt weird when it didn't move. I only tried it a bit though. The last thing I want for this game is for it to be to difficult and have bad controls. I know after a few minutes of play time, my friends got the hang of it. I can also make the target locking system bigger to, so it targets a wider area.

I created a new effect, and I know I'm gonna use it for the 4th level. Basically, it's like a surface blur, but better. It radiates outward randomly while rotating slightly randomly. Looks very cool. Also, it creates a bit of bloom.

Posted Image

#89 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

The new effect sounds pretty cool too. Thanks for making a new control version.

Edit: Does this mean that Mouse Wheel will change through power ups, and left click will shoot, and right click will use power ups?

Edited by Dmaster270, 19 June 2008 - 05:47 AM.

#90 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:09 AM

The new effect sounds pretty cool too. Thanks for making a new control version.

Edit: Does this mean that Mouse Wheel will change through power ups, and left click will shoot, and right click will use power ups?

Probably... But I just remembered the targeting system. I don't know how a mouse would effect it. I guess it should target also :D.

I'm making Solar Blue even easier. The original targeting took place 48 pixels up and down. Now it takes place 192 pixels up and down! This basically means you barely need to move the aimer. However, this will probably be classified as the easy difficulty setting. The normal difficulty will probably be 96 pixels up and down. The update should be made before the week is over.

I've also been thinking of some other things to add, such as a better system to let the player no s/he targeted something. Also, I'll probably make more of an effect for when your shield goes away. I don't know how many people actually used all 3 power ups, but with this new update, everyone most likely will be able to without much difficulty. Why? Because the multi tasking priority has gone down quite a bit. Now it's basically just lining up the x axis. Like I said though, this would be classified as easy mode.

I've been thinking of new ideas as well. I know I need to make a menu of course, but also cool enemies and new gameplay mechanics. I've found my little effect that I made tends to make everything look like it's going a tad faster (due to blur) so I know I'll implement that somehow. Any ideas? I know the last level background will have clouds and a sun.

Posted Image

#91 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:51 AM

Solar Blue Demo 6: Download

Demo 6
Demo 6 Includes:
-the use of multiple power ups
-more challenging bosses
-new effect when targeting
-targeting has been substantially increased

About New Power ups
-Fill the red bar up to three times
-Each time it fills, you get the designated power up
-Use "D" to launch all the power ups you've collected

Posted Image

#92 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

Well, no one replied to the last update... I understand how the GMC works, so I guess I'm not too mad about it.

I do have something to show though:

Posted Image

As you can see, this enemy is extremely strong, especially compared to it's size. The enemy isn't any bigger than the average 32/32 sprite. However, it has a ton of health so it gets time to fire off that epic attack before it dies. Basically, the attack is a beam of electric flares. Kinda cool looking. Kills fast too.

Posted Image

#93 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

lol didn't notice update. Downloading now.

#94 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

So... What do ya think?

Oh, and I've implemented the SuperSound dll for music. In the next update, the songs will be OGG Vorbis, making the file size much smaller and allowing me to alter volume. I may even use the "get frequency" function for level three for the background.

Posted Image

#95 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:58 AM

So... What do ya think?

Oh, and I've implemented the SuperSound dll for music. In the next update, the songs will be OGG Vorbis, making the file size much smaller and allowing me to alter volume. I may even use the "get frequency" function for level three for the background.

Well as usual I suck at Shmups. I always die alot. I'm still waiting for that Mouse update so I can do good. When I started it up I got a 59 fps. But as soon as I died it lowered to 19 fps. It might be my ATI Radeon card. Although, particles always slow down stuff. I didn't play that long though.

#96 Power-up

Power-up

GMC Member

• 465 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:16 AM

When I started up the game, I forgot to look at the controls, so I quickly died. I thought that explosion would be the most I'd see...until I learned how to play and beat the first miniboss. o.o And just when I thought the explosions couldn't get any more spectacular, I beat the boss. O.O Needless to say, I loved the effects. I have Vista though, and I'd like you to update the Vista version so I can see all the power-ups, because this is outstanding.

#97 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:33 AM

When I started up the game, I forgot to look at the controls, so I quickly died. I thought that explosion would be the most I'd see...until I learned how to play and beat the first miniboss. o.o And just when I thought the explosions couldn't get any more spectacular, I beat the boss. O.O Needless to say, I loved the effects. I have Vista though, and I'd like you to update the Vista version so I can see all the power-ups, because this is outstanding.

In the final, controls/ a tutorial will be in game.

Sorry I didn't update that, your missing out on a lot. I just updated it so now Demo 6 should work for Vista. Please test it, as I can't. Longer first level, a second level, power ups, and much more are included in the newest demo. Amazingly, you're the first new person to comment on the game in a really long time.

Posted Image

#98 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:42 AM

Well, I've been working on the Mouse control scheme. Right now, everything works great, but I'm having troubles thinking of a good way to make it the same amount of difficulty to use compared to the keyboard keys.

Right now, the mouse doesn't target, and that's the problem I'm having. How should it target? Should it target it at all? I need some feedback here.

I'm thinking it will. Right now, the aimer moves the same speed as the aimer with keyboard keys. However, when targeting occurs, the normal targeting makes the aimer move much faster. Here are some ways I've thought of doing this:

-When the aimer is in range, make it move as fast as the targeting aimer, but don't target. This means it doesn't target, but it speeds up when it's close to enemies.

-Target.

Now the last one is the treaky part. Just making the aimer target is easy enough, but I want it to untarget like it does with the keyboard if you move the mouse. This doesn't exactly work. Here are my ideas for how I'd get around this problem:

-If the aimer targets something, then the mouse moves, it untargets until the mouse stops moving.

-If you move the mouse to the top of the screen or the bottom of the screen, it doesn't target anymore.

What do you guys think I should do? Feel free to make suggestions. I want this to work right.

Edit: Okay, after even more play time, I've found that the best way (in my opinion) would be to have a button that when pressed makes it not target anymore. I could do the same thing for the normal controls as well. How about middle click? This seems like the most logical choice, as it's easy and will probably be easier to use.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 08 July 2008 - 02:41 AM.

Posted Image

#99 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

First off, I know you've already heard this a dozen or more times, but awesome effects. The style is wonderful. Solar Blue is going to be a game to talk about when you get it done. It reminded me of Varia, too. Was it an inspiration?

You say that there are like four levels now, right? There were only two in the demo. (I tried the Vista mirror because the other host was slow for me. Is there a difference in the amount of levels between versions?)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there's going to be a mouse aiming system for this. I really had a hard time handling the fire button (A?) right next to the aiming buttons (W and S). I think that the mouse aiming would feel more natural with the targeting system. Maybe you could even find a way to get some gamepad support? (I have no idea how to implement that, but I'm just throwing it out there :) )

As for the targeting problems [with the mouse], I may have some input...

Right now, the mouse doesn't target, and that's the problem I'm having. How should it target? Should it target it at all? I need some feedback here.

I think that having the the mouse target the same way as the keyboard keys would be good. Was that not possible to do with the mouse? Also, the mouse aiming is always straight in line with the ship like is with the keys, right? Or did you make it free roaming? If you had to pick between the two (?), I'd go with the straight in line way. Maybe that isn't even the issue?

If the aimer targets something, then the mouse moves, it untargets until the mouse stops moving.

I actually think that this might not even be a problem. It makes the control aspect better in my eyes, because it rewards you for keeping the mouse steady.

If you move the mouse to the top of the screen or the bottom of the screen, it doesn't target anymore

Hmmm. That may be a problem if the player panics (move the mouse franticly). But that could be a matter of just restricting the movement of the aimer, right? If the mouse leaves the area, the aimer doesn't and just ignores the over shot, and it still targets. I could be missing the point entirely...

I'm not sure if these were helpful, or even make any sense, but I'm not exactly sure what the problems could be. Maybe you could PM me a link to an .exe with the mouse aiming to see what exactly it does?

How many lives to you plan to give the player? I died at least 20 times. Do you plan on having a lives system at all? Also, I might add that I didn't feel like I was harming the bosses. I could see the blue flames coming off them every time I hit them, but maybe there could be a more obvious indicator that I'm scoring hits on 'dem bad boys. :)

Anyway, I'm really liking this project. It's dang dazzling, and feels polished in every aspect. Giving the levels themes (bullets, lasers, napalm) is scoring HUGE points with me. It keeps it fresh.

I look forward to the next update of this;
*subscribes*

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 13 July 2008 - 08:14 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#100 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:37 AM

Let me just say thank you very much for replying to this topic... It's been alone in the dust, even when I put up updates <_<.

First off, I know you've already heard this a dozen or more times, but awesome effects. The style is wonderful. Solar Blue is going to be a game to talk about when you get it done. It reminded me of Varia, too. Was it an inspiration?

Thank you! I try my best. I'm going to do some testing with particles (speed/crashing wise) and hopefully I'll start using attractors for the 4th level. Varia is the whole reason I started making this game. They're not too similar, though I will say it's the reason I wanted to make the boss explosions as epic as I possibly could.

You say that there are like four levels now, right? There were only two in the demo. (I tried the Vista mirror because the other host was slow for me. Is there a difference in the amount of levels between versions?)

There's only 2 right now, and there will be 4. I don't know where I said there were 4 levels right now, but it must have been a typo.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there's going to be a mouse aiming system for this. I really had a hard time handling the fire button (A?) right next to the aiming buttons (W and S). I think that the mouse aiming would feel more natural with the targeting system. Maybe you could even find a way to get some gamepad support? (I have no idea how to implement that, but I'm just throwing it out there :huh: )

I used WASD because people are very used to it, and I wanted it to fit in a way that made sense. I don't think I'll do gamepad support because... barely any people have one.

I've basically made the mouse aiming system. It went over a few variations. Right now, the target moves towards the mouse at the same speed as the original aimer, only on the y axis. It uses up and down targeting like before, and when it targets something, it makes the mouse move toward the center of the cursor. At first I didn't have this, but it really made me mad when the enemy would fly past the targeting area and the aimer would keep moving back to my mouse. Now, if it passes, the aimer doesn't jerk all over the place. I don't actually have a method of making it move the aimer when the mouse is targeting. It actually targets the closest thing to the mouse now, instead of the aimer, so if there's an enemy below the enemy your targeting, and you move the mouse downward quickly, it will re target. I know this isn't a perfect solution, but I don't really think it's too important. I want to keep everything even in terms of difficulty, so I'll keep thinking, though the mouse aiming will be easier on harder difficulty settings with a smaller target area anyway.

I'm not sure if these were helpful, or even make any sense, but I'm not exactly sure what the problems could be. Maybe you could PM me a link to an .exe with the mouse aiming to see what exactly it does?

Sounds good. I'll pm you the newest version soon. I'm actually really close to finishing the 3rd level.

How many lives to you plan to give the player? I died at least 20 times. Do you plan on having a lives system at all? Also, I might add that I didn't feel like I was harming the bosses. I could see the blue flames coming off them every time I hit them, but maybe there could be a more obvious indicator that I'm scoring hits on 'dem bad boys. :)

I plan on having the player start out with five lives at the beginning of each level. This may sound bad for players not used to shmups, but I will make it so you can go back to previous levels once you beat the levels before it. Also, the bosses flash when you're hurting them, the bosses emit that blue flame when you're hurting them. I don't really know how I can make it more obvious. Don't see flame? You're not hurting it ::lmao::! Speaking of scoring, there will be scoring in the future along with a combo system, 'cause combos are cool. I've never done online high scores, but it's about time I did.

--------------------------------------------------

I might as well use this time to talk about the 4th level... even though I probably should save some of this information when I need to bump the topic (:().

It's not like the previous ones. For one, everything could be considered a boss or miniboss. EVERYTHING. Also, I will use that neat effect I mentioned earlier. It will range in intensity based upon the situation.

The background will have a sun and clouds... Oh, and it's going to be red themed.

The final boss is not the final boss... You'll see what I mean when the game is done. It will be epic... hopefully.

Posted Image