Photo

Solar Blue - Shmup - Update 8 - Level 4!

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:56 AM

Posted Image

A Sky Castle Games Production

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download
Download (Box.net): Solar Blue Demo 8 Vista Compatible
File Size: 7.1 mb
Full Screen: Yes
Resolution Change: No
Made with :blink:.1

Demo 8
Demo 8 Includes:
-beta level 4
-1 new song
-menu
-pause menu
-1 filter (check in extras menu)
-slight changes to previous levels
-roughly 8 new enemies, a new miniboss, a new boss, and the final boss
-online highscores (Thanks to Vex D)
-surface effect (level 4)
-live system
-combo system
-graphical changes
-difficulty options
-graphics options
-and more!

Introduction
Solar Blue is a level based shoot 'em up with a twist. You can move your aimer to adjust the spray of your gun, so it fires straight, behind you, or even all around you. The demo is all four levels, and it includes all minibosses and bosses. I need to know how challenging those of the GMC find it before I finish the entire project.

The bullets the player shoots in Solar Blue always shoot at the glowing spheres moving around the aimer. Using W and S, you can move the aimer (that big circle) up and down. If it's right over you, your bullets shoot around you in a circle. All extra abilities and strategies are covered in the in game tutorial.

Screen Shots
Screen Shot 1: Solar Blue Boss Example
Screen Shot 2: First Miniboss
Screen Shot 3: Enemies Die in Blue Bursts of Light
Screen Shot 4: The Death of a Boss Sucks in the Energy Around It
Screen Shot 5: Then It Eats the Screen Itself
Screen Shot 6: The Player Ship Shooting a Taken Laser
Screen Shot 7: Lightning Enemy
Screen Shot 8: Second Miniboss
Screen Shot 9: What the Solar Blue Boss Engine is Really Capable Of
Screen Shot 10: Third Level

Video: Beta Fourth Level Footage

Video Contains:
-Never before released song (Shining Out From the Center of the Universe)
-Never before seen semi-boss
-New enemies
-New effect in motion

Controls
Arrow Keys: Move
W: Move Aimer Up
S: Move Aimer Down
A: Shoot
D: Shoot power ups (when red bar has been filled at least once)
Q and E: Cycle through power ups
Space: Cancel auto targeting

Bosses of Solar Blue
While minibosses in Solar Blue are fairly standard (they transform, however) the main bosses are made out of joints that rotate faster as the joint goes out. You must lower the health of all the outside joints to kill them. I also made it in a way where I can make a completely random boss with one line of code, making for a new game mode in the final release.

Enjoy!

Edited by Sulfuric, 23 August 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#2 FireWire Games

FireWire Games

GMC Member

• 1548 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:02 AM

Can you please upload a GM7 compiled version? I don't download anything I have to convert myself and I really wanna play this. The graphics look absolutely fantastic!

#3 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:11 AM

Can you please upload a GM7 compiled version? I don't download anything I have to convert myself and I really wanna play this. The graphics look absolutely fantastic!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean a Vista version? If so, I uploaded one, and it should work.

Posted Image

#4 xshortguy

xshortguy

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4355 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:14 AM

The game is quite nice. 9/10.

The difficulty was rather high because there were some instances where you couldn't avoid any shots. Also, perhaps a health bar for bosses would be nice.

Edited by xshortguy, 11 February 2008 - 03:16 AM.

Check out my Profile's About Me Page for some useful links.

#5 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

The game is quite nice. 9/10.

The difficulty was rather high because there were some instances where you couldn't avoid any shots. Also, perhaps a health bar for bosses would be nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply.

I might have a health bar for minibosses, but since the regular bosses are joints, it won't work too well. The mask for the player is quite small; my only suggestion is to kill things quickly and to focus more on your player than aiming when things get too heated.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 25 September 2008 - 02:09 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Obiki_San

Obiki_San

GMC Member

• 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

This is absolutely beautiful. Though, I tend to die A LOT in games like this - lucky for me there weren't a limit to lives yet, hehe.

I found it difficult to use the Aimer precisely as most common enemies moves faster than you could align the aimer or you're just too busy trying to stay alive. It is a nice twist as mention and would prove one an expert once taken practive. I did manage to get a few but I wasn't sure what the power up were ( And I always died shortly after lol ).

Miniboss battle was pretty tough. I think it was harder than the main boss actually. The main boss 4th stage, however, was insane. I found the heatseeker stages very easy though. It was like a nice little break from all that chaos. Miniboss death was beautiful... I did have to break out my sunglasses though. Main boss - I've appreciated the fact that it died and took out the whole screen in squares right into the wormholey looking thing :medieval: . Pretty. I curious to see how other bosses would turn out.

Overall - I know how difficult these types of game could be so my suckiness and countless deaths shouldn't affect this review. Perhaps you could tone it down a bit at first though. I suggest a difficulty level which I'm sure you'll add with the whole main menu deal. The effects are (needless to say) beautiful and flashy. Can't wait until you have sfx to support the graphics.

Keep it up - I'd like to see more!
:rolleyes: <-- me after playing.

#7 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

I loved playing this game. The graphics were nicely done, the effects were awesome, the miniboss was challenging, and the actaul boss was just unbelievable. Never fought a boss like that before. It was different. And the music was great. I didn't mind listening to it at all, it goes well with the game. Keep up the work. I hope to play a longer game next time. :rolleyes:
Avic Pro (Work in Progress):
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#8 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. Right now I really need something that can film my screen so I can post a video of it. I'd like people to be able to see how the bosses operate before they download it. Any ideas?

Don't forget: Red bullets are destroyable. I'm sure you realized that, but you never know.

Posted Image

#9 JishHD

JishHD

GMC Member

• 1428 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

Wow...great game! Amazing graphics and special effects, and intersting control scheme. Normally I suck at dodging bullets, but atleast this time it was fun! Within about a minute I got the hang of it... Close aimer=wider but innaccurate, and far aimer=slimmer and more accurate.
9/10! Could really use some SFX though...
My Games <-- Balls of War, Archer Kirby, Platform Shooter Example, and More!
QUOTE (Yourself @ Sep 9 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (KC LC @ Sep 9 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FredFredrickson @ Sep 9 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my idea: a Game Maker Community luncheon. I'll bring the chips!
No way. Remember the last time? We ran out of dip... then Yourself put that lampshade on his head... then you guys went out for beer and left me to clean up. <_<
I still can't get it off. No thanks to you.

#10 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:43 AM

Don't worry, sound effects will be added later. There will be much more than in my other shmup "Decobliss."

Edited by STARFOXROX, 18 February 2008 - 03:24 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

I'd just like to announce that I've begun work on the second level. Before I mention what it will be like, I'd like to show what Solar Blue's bosses are capable of:

Posted Image

Lasers, every game should have them. These are my best looking lasers to date, and I'm sure you'll be happy to know you won't ever fight a boss like the one shown in the screen shot. Lasers are the 7th joint in, and when using that many arms (number of times the joint sections are remade around the center) it lags the crap out of the game.

I've made my own creation scripts for bosses so they can be created easily, and I even made code that can generate completely random bosses, leading to a new game mode in the future. I can adjust its rotation speed, arm count, joint lengths, and number of joints per arm. The boss in the current demo only goes up to joint 6. 7th is lasers, and 8th... well, I won't spoil it yet, though don't think it's gonna be the coolest thing ever.

The Second Level:

Posted Image

The second level consists of lasers, suicide ships that blow outward from a bomb, and lightning. What the screen shot shows is the lightning. When you destroy one part of the beam, it starts rotating and the lightning extends off the screen. You have to destroy both parts to stop it.

Posted Image

#12 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:49 AM

I'd also like to add that I've begun making the green and red bars do something... Actually, they're both basically done, except some things for the red bar.

The green bar makes a shield for the player. If you are hit with the bar full, it makes the player invulnerable for several seconds. The bar fills up faster than the purple one.

The red bar creates a special attack. Based upon the last enemy you destroyed to fill it all the way up, you get a certain power up. Laser enemies lets the player shoot a laser towards the spheres rotating around the aimer, and Lightning enemies make lightning shoot at the nearest enemy to the player. Each type of enemy has a different attack, for the most part.

Also, the second level's background is quite unique. Rotating arms fall from the top of the screen while orbs poor in towards the center. If the arms grab the orbs, they latch on and eventually through them in the new direction.

I'm really in need of some testers. Please say roughly how many times you died. I'll probably make put up a new version later this weekend containing the finished new bars.

Posted Image

#13 yomomma

yomomma

GMC Member

• 367 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

Awesome! 10.5/10!

#14 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:26 AM

Awesome! 10.5/10!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the impossibly hi rating :whistle:, but I would like to know: How can I improve this game? I suppose if it actually was a 10.5/10 then it would be beyond perfect, but I know it isn't :blink:.

Posted Image

#15 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:16 AM

Visually, this is one of the most professional games I've ever seen made with game maker. Gameplay-wise, however, it lacks a bit. The aimer would be a bit more interesting if enemies ever came from behind, but they do not. The aimer is very obstructive; it is unnecessarily large, and I have difficulty seeing bullets with it in the way. Some sfx would be nice, and in my opinion, the music really doesn't fit at all =\ Especially when some sort of solo beings... The explosions become a bit much when they get in the way of oncoming bullets, making the game a bit unnecessarily difficult. Nothing really that hasn't been done before besides the aimer. The boss was also unnecessarily long, or it should have more stages. Because once it was in the spiral mode, I became pretty bored of doing the same movements 15 times until it went on to the next stage. More types of attacks would be cool, and some more unique enemy attacks would be nice (seemed like they'd all been done before)

In short, fantastic graphics, but a little too showy, and okay gameplay. Looks promising though.

#16 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

Visually, this is one of the most professional games I've ever seen made with game maker. Gameplay-wise, however, it lacks a bit. The aimer would be a bit more interesting if enemies ever came from behind, but they do not. The aimer is very obstructive; it is unnecessarily large, and I have difficulty seeing bullets with it in the way. Some sfx would be nice, and in my opinion, the music really doesn't fit at all =\ Especially when some sort of solo beings... The explosions become a bit much when they get in the way of oncoming bullets, making the game a bit unnecessarily difficult. Nothing really that hasn't been done before besides the aimer. The boss was also unnecessarily long, or it should have more stages. Because once it was in the spiral mode, I became pretty bored of doing the same movements 15 times until it went on to the next stage. More types of attacks would be cool, and some more unique enemy attacks would be nice (seemed like they'd all been done before)

In short, fantastic graphics, but a little too showy, and okay gameplay. Looks promising though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, the aimer has more uses in the second level. I wanted the first level to be more standard, and the player get a feel for the aimer. In the next the, enemies shoot lasers, and you sometimes have to move above them to avoid it, letting the aimer have more effect. I'll make a few enemies come from the bottom in the first level anyway.

The aimer is big for a reason as well. Any smaller, and powering up your aimer would have less effect spray wise. Sorry it obstructed your view a bit. I'll see how I like it with the alpha a little lower.

I admit, the first boss seems a bit lacking. I assure you though, the bosses of Solar Blue can range from stupidly simple to the hardest bosses you've ever played. The bosses DO have more modes, I just didn't want to give it all away with the first boss. Later bosses will also have rotating lasers around the origin. They aim towards the player, wait, then fire. That probably won't be introduced until the 3rd level. What do you mean by it being to "long?" Like, to long to kill? How much did you power up your aimer? That can make things go faster. You can actually completely fill it before you even get to him, but it's VERY hard.

Sound effects WILL happen, I'm not going to make that mistake again.

As for the music... Hm... I really like that song, but I guess I can see where you're coming from. Would a more "techno" song fit better? More digital? It's not going to be the only song, so I'm still going to keep it. Most people I personally talk to like it. Would anyone mind me reusing "Underdrive", the song in Decobliss? That's my favorite.

The attacks have been implemented for stage 1. I'll probably put up a new demo today. They range from simple "shoot towards" bullets, to spraying all around you like that one enemy.

So I'll lower the alpha and make enemies come from the bottom in the first stage. Thanks for the comment and suggestions, and I'm glad you liked the graphics so much, but gameplay is more important, so I'll be working on it.

Posted Image

#17 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

I finally released the next demo.

Download (Will Host for Food): Solar Blue Demo 2

Demo 2
Demo 2 Includes:
-power up abilities
-new sheilding
-ability to take the power of all enemies (except minibosses and bosses)
-some new sound effects
-upgraded several graphical effects
-transparent aimer

Edited by STARFOXROX, 26 February 2008 - 03:23 AM.

Posted Image

#18 ForteMP3

ForteMP3

Shmupper For Life!

• 67 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

This demo blew me away. Graphically this is mindblowing, and I am truly in awe. The gameplay is a bit on the tough spot though, for one thing I'm not entirely sure where the player's hitbox is, still trying to figure that part out. The aim system is also taking some getting used to, but it seems like a good idea!

I'm a bit curious though. what did you to do render the laser like effects that can be seen as the player respawns? (The big crosses where the player and aimer appear)
I'm also curious as to what went into generating the player's explosion and the 'building energy charge' type effect you can see while holding down fire. Any chance you'd be willing to share how those were done?

#19 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:45 AM

10/10

the effects, they were mad!

*speechless*

#20 Ruzzinator

Ruzzinator

Xbox 360 Lover

• 646 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:13 AM

WHOA!! THOSE GRAPHICS WERE SWEEEETTTT!!
i couldn't believe what i was playing!! Well Done!
10/10 graphics
but is it really really hard or do i just suck? (Probably both...)

#21 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the bump DarkFlame :GM072:

WHOA!! THOSE GRAPHICS WERE SWEEEETTTT!!
i couldn't believe what i was playing!! Well Done!
10/10 graphics
but is it really really hard or do i just suck? (Probably both...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably hard. Good chance. I made it so it's hard for me to tell. You have to kill things quickly before too much shooting goes on.

Posted Image

#22 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:22 AM

This game is way too hard, especially from the beginning. The enemy sequence is too short. And it's impossible to get another crystal because the second you finally manage to get your aimer on the enemy you get hit by a bullet, then the bar goes down when you die. So it's pretty much pointless to even try to get another crystal.
-- My blog. --

#23 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:58 AM

This game is way too hard, especially from the beginning. The enemy sequence is too short. And it's impossible to get another crystal because the second you finally manage to get your aimer on the enemy you get hit by a bullet, then the bar goes down when you die. So it's pretty much pointless to even try to get another crystal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to disagree (not about it being hard) but it is very important to get another "crystal." It makes killing enemies/bosses faster and makes it easier. Once you get used to the system, it would be too easy to not have the bar go down when you die. I suppose I could make it go down less. Once I implement lives it will be easier to judge.

How much do you play shmups? This is a pretty standard shmup difficulty wise, no offense. It gets easier the more you play it. I'm not saying it isn't hard. Like I said earlier, I can't judge how hard or easy it is. I'm sort of hard core when it comes to shmups, so I don't want the game to be easy. Just shoot fast and practice. If your having trouble with the aimer, only use it on slower enemies. I can assure you, it is possible, and once someone gives me a link to a good screen recorder then I can put up a video for some gameplay footage to look at.

"The enemy sequence is too short."

Does that mean the first level should be longer?

Posted Image

#24 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:58 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to disagree (not about it being hard) but it is very important to get another "crystal." It makes killing enemies/bosses faster and makes it easier. Once you get used to the system, it would be too easy to not have the bar go down when you die. I suppose I could make it go down less. Once I implement lives it will be easier to judge.

How much do you play shmups? This is a pretty standard shmup difficulty wise, no offense. It gets easier the more you play it. I'm not saying it isn't hard. Like I said earlier, I can't judge how hard or easy it is. I'm sort of hard core when it comes to shmups, so I don't want the game to be easy. Just shoot fast and practice. If your having trouble with the aimer, only use it on slower enemies. I can assure you, it is possible, and once someone gives me a link to a good screen recorder then I can put up a video for some gameplay footage to look at.

"The enemy sequence is too short."

Does that mean the first level should be longer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Search Google for CamStudio if you need a screen recorder.

And I play shmups a lot actually, lots. Yeah the game got easier after the..... 8th try :skull:

It's a bit confusing controlling two different things at the same time, especially since I'm also used to using WASD to move. I always ended up trying to move with WASD and shoot/control aimer with arrow keys. Maybe make an inverted control option later?

I only managed to get 2 crystals(total, not 2 more) still that helped a lot on the boss. And the sequence too short as in it was just... yeah it was short. Especially the time between the mini-boss and the boss. Mini-bosses are usually only about 1/3 through, you put the miniboss at the end. That and the level really was short. Also maybe consider making the miniboss give you a full bar of orbs when you kill it, the main boss is really hard :GM072: and I doubt someone will ever get past 3 crystals.
-- My blog. --

#25 Ayrron

Ayrron

GMC Member

• 73 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Just downloaded the demo and gave it a try:

Graphics 10/10
Really wonderful game graphically. The lighting effects are great; lazers, explosions, beams, bullets and particles are visually stimulating. Great job here!

Gameplay 6/10
Unfortunately, graphics aren't everything and this is where the game suffers a bit. In terms of concept, I think you had a very rich idea and the possibilities of the targeting and powerup systems were creative. In execution however, it falls short. The controls feel clumsy and hard to work with at times (although you get used to it after a few tries). Also, it's actually extremely difficult in a shmup like this to have to concentrate on too many things at once; having to monitor where your reticule is AND maneuver your ship between shots is very challenging. I am a hardcore shmup fan myself (I currently have one near completion: GUARDIAN) and I love getting into that Zen-like state where you are completely invested in what's going on on the screen; but dividing your attention between the two in your game really hampered my abilities. In a great shooter, you have to be able to devote your full attention to running, gunning and firing. This felt like I should have four eyes and was being punished for not using my other two.

Sound ?/10
Obviously not done, so I won't harp on it. Suffice to say, I DO like your music so don't get rid of that track. But you should diversify the music a bit in terms of separate levels. Sound effects should go along with the digital feel.

Entertainment Value 6/10
I found it entertaining while I played it. Difficulty is great! I don't like a game to roll over and let me stomp on it; yours pushed me down and and stole my lunch money, so that's good. The bosses felt like punching bags though, as I wasn't really getting any feedback from them (besides pounding me into the dirt, from whence I got up and relished in my infinite lives.)

All in all, it's mediocre right now but has a bright future. Polish up the gameplay, add sounds and try to work on making the controls work fluidly.

I'll be tracking this topic :D

Edited by Ayrron, 03 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#26 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I realize it's quite difficult at first. How should I improve it? How could I make it easier. This is where I really need feedback.

jakman4242, I actually wanted people to only get to "crystals" (I guess that's easier than saying "orbs rotating around the aimer"). Also, I already had CamStudios and it kinda sucks, but I decided to use it anyway. I'll make WASD movement control scheme. I'm actually more used to WASD myself, it's just more shmups are arrows with zxc.

I'll be sure to make the first level longer. You're very right; it's far too short in its current state.

The video is now up.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 04 March 2008 - 03:48 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

Sorry for all the bumps...

I've been improving the game quite a bit. Once I get more feed back on how to make the controls better, then I release the next version.

I tried making it work with the mouse. I got it to work right but it felt more sluggish because I'd always try to move the mouse left or right toward the enemies. I got used to it after a little while though.

I'd also like to show you what the Solar Blue boss engine is really capable of!

Posted Image

Don't worry, you will NEVER fight anything this insane.

Posted Image

#28 moo_moo_the_cow

moo_moo_the_cow

GMC Member

• 379 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

wow excellent effects great music and very nice, intense game play. The only thing i didnt like was that you die from one hit. Ill rate it 9/10

#29 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

That is possibly the BEST thing...When you die you re spawn with a "shield" that protects you and gives you time to get ready!

I beat this two times...and going again!

#30 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

I'm really amazed by the graphics and effects and can't stop wondering how you made them, I was most suprised seeing the lvl fall appart after I killed the boss! like stunning :D

I dont have a great computer so it lagged just a little.

The things I didn't like (had a hard time finding these :()
the movement (in my opionion) could be better, maybe.. just more smooth, or give it a faster touch.
also, it was a little hard to see (dont know the word <.<)
there was so much chaos I had to concentrate just to see what was happening. (onoverzichtelijk)

oh maybe a small idea :)
being able to get reinforcements or getting some friend to help

Edited by Ruub, 10 March 2008 - 03:31 PM.

#31 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

How could I make the movement smoother? I really need a better way to aim. Maybe make the cursor auto target once it gets so close to an enemy?

Posted Image

#32 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:56 AM

If you go in the center of the aimer you shoot in circles!

You should add power ups...like things that change the way you shoot! You have bullets from bosses/minibosses/enemies that could help it become easier...

A menu would be nice =)

Possibly...a boss editor! You can build your own bosses in it and test it?

DEFINITELY A PAUSE ACTION!

-Cookie

#33 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

If you go in the center of the aimer you shoot in circles!

You should add power ups...like things that change the way you shoot! You have bullets from bosses/minibosses/enemies that could help it become easier...

A menu would be nice =)

Possibly...a boss editor! You can build your own bosses in it and test it?

DEFINITELY A PAUSE ACTION!

-Cookie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've already got power ups. Fill up the red bar by scrolling to it with Q or E then kill 4 enemies. With the 4th enemy, you'll take that enemy's power. Laser enemies are the coolest so far.

A menu isn't gonna happen just yet. I usually make 'em last.

I actually have been considering making a boss editor. I know you'll be able to unlock a random mode.

I have some good code for a pause action -_-. Hooray! I'm on top of things.

Speaking o' which, I have MADE A NEW SYSTEM SO SOLAR BLUE IS EASIER!!! I should have a new version out soon with a longer level and an aimer that targets enemies close to it, making it easier to target them.

Posted Image

#34 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:29 AM

To be honest I don't think it should be easier. I don't play fast paced shooters very often and yet, with two tries I was able to beat the demo. It's good to have things challenging. Why make it easy for everyone? Well, that's just my opinion. I guess some people enjoy being able to beat a game every time they play.
Avic Pro (Work in Progress):
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#35 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

XD if you make it easier...Keep a hard version out!

#36 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:29 AM

I'm really only making it easier to aim with the aimer. It's still going to be a tough game, and remember, this is a the first level. Also keep in mind this would probably be on medium right now.

Oh, and Glen, how the crap did you beat the game in "two tries?" The game has infinite lives, you should be able to beat it in one... Because you can't currently lose. Or do you mean two lives? If so, then you're a freak of nature (and one of the greatest shmup players of all time), so I'm probably gonna have to stick with the other people's opinions on difficulty :).

Edited by STARFOXROX, 13 March 2008 - 01:47 AM.

Posted Image

#37 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

I finally played it to the end!

AND I MUST SAY 11/10!!!

that

was

INCREDIBLE!!!

The whole universe implodes after a wave of perfect effects and visual displays!!!

My 900mhz and 4mb graphics card struggled admirably to see the final conclusion,...but wow!

amazing!

#38 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

I saw the screenshot with the laser...do enemies have that ability as well?

#39 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

I saw the screenshot with the laser...do enemies have that ability as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. There are several laser enemies. One slides in and shoots two lasers while spinning. Another comes in and shoots straight while sliding in, rotating, going up, rotating, and going out the way it came... And...

I finally released the next demo.

Download (Will Host for Food): Solar Blue Demo 3

Demo 3
Demo 3 Includes:
-slight targeting aimer (moves towards enemy when close enough)
-longer level
-new enemy, with which comes a new power-up

Posted Image

#40 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Third to download...Trying...

I like the new enemy...More to kill :P

Edited by GMREC1111, 14 March 2008 - 02:58 AM.

#41 moo_moo_the_cow

moo_moo_the_cow

GMC Member

• 379 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

awesome! i cant figure out what the power ups do. right now they seem to do nothing. i forgot to say before AWESOME MUSIC!!!!

#42 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

awesome! i cant figure out what the power ups do. right now they seem to do nothing. i forgot to say before AWESOME MUSIC!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you aim just right...and kill something you get some colored balls that fly towards and around you...they charge you up. Then once the corresponding color bar on the top left corner if filled you shoot more bullets!

For the new one...I played...And at a point I ad 2 aimers...one was controlled and one was moving up and down...The powerups are a bit hard to get...

Edited by GMREC1111, 14 March 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#43 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you aim just right...and kill something you get some colored balls that fly towards and around you...they charge you up. Then once the corresponding color bar on the top left corner if filled you shoot more bullets!

For the new one...I played...And at a point I ad 2 aimers...one was controlled and one was moving up and down...The powerups are a bit hard to get...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, the glitch should be fixed. I was worried whether or not that would happen. Just use the link on the main post.

Oh, and moo_moo_the_cow, the instructions on how the powerups work are on the main post as well.

Posted Image

#44 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4208 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:10 AM

I enjoyed this game, although there are a few things you should note.

PROS
- The music.
- The graphics.
- The particle effects. (especially the boss explosions)
- The background.
- The enemy AI and movement.
- The controls.
- Smooth game-play.
- You like Nintendo.

CONS
- The game is too hard. You can hardly control the cursor while dodging everything!
- It is hard to see what the bars on the side do.
- Enemies fire a bit too much shots.
- Not enough levels to play. (I know, it's a WIP...)
- The game should start easy, and then get harder as you progress.

SUGGESTIONS
- You need a title screen.
- There should be a high-score table
- Enemies need to sometimes drop power ups when they die. (lives, invincibility, speed, etc.)
- At the start, you should choose whether you want to play in easy,medium or hard.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!
2qi1d8l.jpg

#45 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

I enjoyed this game, although there are a few things you should note.

PROS
- The music.
- The graphics.
- The particle effects. (especially the boss explosions)
- The background.
- The enemy AI and movement.
- The controls.
- Smooth game-play.
- You like Nintendo.

CONS
- The game is too hard. You can hardly control the cursor while dodging everything!
- It is hard to see what the bars on the side do.
- Enemies fire a bit too much shots.
- Not enough levels to play. (I know, it's a WIP...)
- The game should start easy, and then get harder as you progress.

SUGGESTIONS
- You need a title screen.
- There should be a high-score table
- Enemies need to sometimes drop power ups when they die. (lives, invincibility, speed, etc.)
- At the start, you should choose whether you want to play in easy,medium or hard.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The game is supposed to be hard, though the targeting aimer should have made the game a bit easier. You don't have to worry about it as much.

It's a WIP, so most of thsoe things will be added. No power-ups will be dropped from enemies. The game already has enough power-ups :). Lives will be gotten by amount of score. You can already get "invincibility." Just fill up the green bar.

Easy, medium, or hard WILL be added.

And, I've found the game gets harder as it progresses. Why do you think otherwise? I want to make it that way.

Posted Image

#46 headline@live.se

headline@live.se

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

Eeeeerm... is the purpouse of this game dying??? couse im dying all the time... more than i kill actually!
92% of the population has moved to Rap. If you are one of the 8% that has stuck to rock, put this in your sig. RAP SUCKS!

keyboard_get_keyname

#47 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4208 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

"The game should start easy, and then get harder as you progress."

I made this comment because the game didn't start off easy. It might have gotten even harder but it still was far too hard to start with.
2qi1d8l.jpg

#48 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

This game is NOT hard...you need a good sense of Hand-Eye Coordination...My sister has such low ones she can't play _______. It's a bit embarrassing...

XD Easier modes will be added with the menu...LAST...

My worst thing is that...Power-Ups are way too hard to get! I only got one power-up in the 13 times I've played!

#49 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

This game is NOT hard...you need a good sense of Hand-Eye Coordination...My sister has such low ones she can't play _______. It's a bit embarrassing...

XD Easier modes will be added with the menu...LAST...

My worst thing is that...Power-Ups are way too hard to get! I only got one power-up in the 13 times I've played!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean by "power-ups?" Adding another orb or getting the power-ups from other enemies? Or both?

Either way, this is considered medium mode. In easy mode, it'll take less enemies to fill up the bar.

Posted Image

#50 ShaManT

ShaManT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Not so hard next time please ^_^ . The game had cool GFX. But dont make it that hard i cant stop dieing ><. Considering in very good at this kind of games :D

Edited by ShaManT, 17 March 2008 - 11:59 AM.

Follow my ongoing project: Bot Command (Soon Online)
Bot Command Forum Thread
- Top Down Arena Shooter! Massive Mech action