• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:31 AM

Cubic Conundrum:
is a 3d puzzle game where you maneuver your cube through a level. There are obstacles in your way which must be cleared by using your cube to pick up colors from tiles in the level and 'roll' them to their correct sockets. Contains:

-25 mind bending levels.
-Tutorial level to teach you the basics.
-Timer and Color counter for self-challenging re-playability.
-Level editor to create your own conundrums.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Made with: GM7
Size: ~ 4.3 MB
Runs in: Windowed 800 x 600, does not change resolution.
It is recommended that you place it in a folder to run as it creates 3 files while running.

Download 1: Cubic Conundrum (host-a hosting)
Download 2: Cubic Conundrum (mediafire)

Update: Mar 7, 2008: Fixed a minor bug.

Edited by fourthw, 07 March 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

Heh, nice name. Much better than "Roll Box" :).

Let me just say I still love this game. I recommend everyone give it a try. It's very original, eye appealing, and just has plane ol' good puzzle action.

TRY THIS GAME

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#3 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

Yeah, roll box was a pretty lame name...but my projects get names like that when they are WIPs. How far through the levels are you?

And thanks for your continued support!

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

This is a truly elegant puzzle idea, and you executed it quite well. The level design is excellent, and provides quite a difficult yet addicting challenge. The music and graphics suit the game very well.

I think somewhere in the tutorial you left in a <Insert Game Name Here> type of thing instead of the title of the game.

I can't really think of any suggestions for this, as from what I have seen so far is pretty much perfect. Great job!

~ Theta Games

#5 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:52 AM

Thanks, hopefully it will get more attention.
You're right about the tutorial <game name> thing. I've uploaded a new version with that fixed. Also, some people have said they've gotten stuck on level 2 (I guess its a little too tough for that early in the game). So, the new upload has level 2 pushed back a few levels.

#6 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:26 AM

Oops! Messing around with the levels made level 16 impossible. I've updated the '.exe' so its all better now. So, if you're still playing it, please re-download.

#7 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

I played the beta of this game at yoyogames.. left a few comments there not realising that you released it here, doh.

Anyway I'll repost my comments here:

This is a great game 10/10 for sure. I love the graphics simply yet elegant, however I do think it would be better that when a square is complete perhaps it could put like an X on it or something instead of just shading it in so it's clear.
Perhaps something else you could add is a "box viewer" so when you press a key the box goes transparent as you sometimes can't see what side of the box is coloured without rotating the view.

You fixed the error.

Btw I'm up to level 18 (level 14 was a b itch).

Anyway overall this is an amazing game; neat unique idea, very well made, absolutely love the main menu and excellent level design. I would say one of the best games I've seen for GM (probably in top 3! Changing that to definately in top3). Well done, keep up the good work!!

ps I'm horribly dissapointed in the GMC for not noticing this remarkable game - (you can put that in your tagline if you want fourthw), it's been bumped down with only 2 comments, this deserves a lot more attention. Such quality, originality, obvious time spent on it, thought out well programmed game and it hardly gets replied to, it's just a shame.

Edited by flexaplex, 14 February 2008 - 11:34 PM.

:]

#8 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

You fixed the error. All levels are now possible.

Edited by flexaplex, 06 March 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#9 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Thank you very much for such high regards. A lot of thought and time did go into this, and although it isn't getting a great deal of attention, I'm working on a second version that is sooooo much more than Cubic Conundrum could ever have dreamed to be.

As for the lift problem. It was a problem that came up before, which I fixed. There is a timer on the lifts that makes them switch again if your cube is still on it. So, give it time...if you get into that situation again, just wait and after a few seconds the lift should change again. It worked that way when I re-tested it. If that is not the case for you, let me know and I'll go into more rigorous testing.

The error you got was another produced from my shuffling of levels before. I've fixed it and uploaded the new, working executable. Thanks again.

Edited by fourthw, 14 February 2008 - 07:56 AM.

#10 AndyWiltshireNZ

AndyWiltshireNZ

GMC Member

• 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi,

I am relatively new to the GMC, but I have being spending some time playing a few of the games, and I am thoroughly impressed with cubic conundrum, its one of the best puzzle games Ive played in a long time. So first of all, great job on a great game. Secondly, I am stuck on level 18 with the following error ;)

http://picasaweb.goo...006132995783522

#11 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:55 AM

Secondly, I am stuck on level 18 with the following error ;)

http://picasaweb.goo...006132995783522

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the kind words.
That error is from an past version of the game and has been fixed. Please re-download the newest version. If you only replace the '.exe' in your folder you will keep all of your level unlocks and stats.

#12 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:33 AM

Are you sure the pink on level18 is possible now? I can't see how it can be.

#13 Charlie_Nut_Sak

Charlie_Nut_Sak

GMC Member

• 273 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

this is amazing...

#14 fourthw

fourthw

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

Are you sure the pink on level18 is possible now? I can't see how it can be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, it isn't. The rotation tile in that level is backwards (that tile wasn't even one changed from the level shuffle...so it somehow got past testing). I've reversed it and reloaded it. Sorry to make you download again.

If anyone finds anymore errors please PM me so this doesn't get over clogged with those posts.

Edited by fourthw, 25 February 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#15 AndyWiltshireNZ

AndyWiltshireNZ

GMC Member

• 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Hello,

Fantastic game so far, but I am wondering if anyone has completed Level 19. I am stuck with the red and blue colors. Any chance of a solution via PM :)

#16 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

OK completed.. to everyone all the levels are now definately possible, anyone with an older copy should update it.

#17 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hey there. I don't post much, but had to pop in to say that this game is great! Puzzle games in general don't go down too well in the cummunity here unfortunately, but this is actually really nice!
I love the simplicity of the game rules, everything is nice & clear the camera can be shifted around nicely, it's obvious from the start exactly what's you have to do *and* I really like the music choices, they suit it very much! Great work! :)

All things can only be judged in comparison, so in comparison to the majority of games here on the forums I would give this game a 9/10.

Now, a suggestion for improvement:

The graphics, tho' they serve their purpose well, could be alot better. They're very "minimal" in style & very "drab" & "programmer-art-ish" - you should try to make the whole thing a bit more visually interesting. Simple changes like a colored gradient in the background would make a big difference. Also, try bringing some kinda overall "style" (future/techy or even cartoony?) into the game with appropriate fonts etc. I'm sure you're missing out on alot of views & downloads because the screens are just not enticing enough.

I hope more people check this out, I'd love to see more of this kind of interesting puzzle game type stuff on the forum.

I'll keep an eye out on future projects from you.
Best of luck! :P

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg