~ Gmarcade.com ~

• Please log in to reply
872 replies to this topic

#1 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

GMArcade is going through a major re haul, and being completely reprogrammed from the ground up, as well as receiving a name change. The new site will be called iPlayIndie. Right now a lot of work has been going on developing and discussing the new site at our development topic, and we have decided on a layout for the new website, but we would like your opinion on it! Here's a link to the new layout:

Layout Base

Please, we are looking for constructive criticism. If you like it, post and tell us why, if you don't like it, post and tell us how it could be improved.

Thank you!
homebrewpc

Update:

I've been working on some of the programming on the games pages and would like to know what you guys think so far. Please visit http://www.iplayindi.../game/test.html and tell me what you think so far. What's your oppinion on the new way to view screenshots? Do you like the sharing options or are there social networking sites you think I'm missing? Do yo like the way the descriptions box is laid out?

Thanks for taking the time to share your oppinion!

Update 2:

Also, we're going to be redoing the rating system, it will be on a 1-10 scale, with different sayings for each rating, here's what we whipped up so far:

1. I Need Psychological Rehabilitation
2. Cruel and Unusual Punishment
3. Will Rate When I Stop Gagging
4. Someone Should Slap You
5. Your Mom Might Like It
6. Better Than Pong
7. Epic Win
8. Games This Good Should be Illegal
9. This Game and I are Applying for a Marriage License
10. Jesus Would Favorite This

Also, here is our current mock-up for what the rating bar will actually look like:

Posted Image

The gradient health bar will be segmented into ten parts with numbers to further show that it is a rating bar, the sayings will be in the speech bubble, and the game's icon will be in the empty square.

What do you guys think of the sayings and rating bar? Any ideas? Concerns? Deep thoughts? Philosophical insights?

Edited by homebrewpc, 25 March 2010 - 01:01 AM.

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#2 Shadeplay23

Shadeplay23

GMC Member

• 470 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Uh...Did you get permission from the owners of the games?

#3 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Yes, we asked all of the developers if we could, and the ones on the site have accepted. And we linked to all of the developers as well. :)

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#4 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

I like the whole idea behind it, a better version of the YYG site, if only I thought of this, I have a domain (gmshack.com) but its sitting around doing nothing, maybe we could discuss some sort of deal. I think it needs a better design and then it will feel alot better, also the introduction of things like voting and registering.

Please contact me if you want to get into partnership and work on this site more. I think its a fantastic idea, and I have so many ideas flying around my head.

#5 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

I PMed you. Also, I do want to keep the design simplistic as it is. Voting will soon be introduced, but I think it will be IP based, not registering.

#6 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Damn, I'm developing a site very similar to that. Argh!

Well, when it's all done the best site will win. Good luck with it. :)
All the best,
Brandon Evans

#7 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Damn, I'm developing a site very similar to that. Argh!

Well, when it's all done the best site will win. Good luck with it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, may the best site prevail. :mellow:

Edited by homebrewpc, 30 January 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#8 Rybo5000

Rybo5000

GMC Member

• 423 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Oooh a fight?

Whichever one of you is nicest to me may receive a money-based surprise in support of your site (in the regeion of $150-$200)

Nah, I'd only ever give that to a really good site, who gave me something like advertising in return.

#9 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

Oooh a fight?

Whichever one of you is nicest to me may receive a money-based surprise in support of your site (in the regeion of $150-$200)

Nah, I'd only ever give that to a really good site, who gave me something like advertising in return.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Want to be my best friend? Just kidding. Anyways, if he is talking about "Games For Free" that is not really the image I'm aiming for, so I wouldn't consider us rivals.

#10 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

It's really nice :) Simple, yet clean design. I'm not so sure about the colour of the links. You should try experimenting maybe a Dark red similar to the shades of red on your site. Hmmm I dunno, play around with it. :mellow: I'll check back and keep up with this one.

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#11 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

Now that you mention it you're right about the color of the links. I will change it in a bit. Thanks for the compliments!

EDIT: I just added a simple Tell A Friend system that shows up at the bottom of each game.

Edited by homebrewpc, 30 January 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#12 alex_pof

alex_pof

GMC Member

• 1296 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Finally! an alternate to yyg. i dont really like the layout very much but just the fact of "online" play is awesome! the only question i have is does it break the gm7 licence agreements

#13 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Finally! an alternate to yyg. i dont really like the layout very much but just the fact of "online" play is awesome! the only question i have is does it break the gm7 licence agreements

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it does not break the license, the license only states that they own the runner...I'm not claiming I own it and I have stated their copyright at the bottom of the page. So it's perfectly fine :)

#14 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

EDIT: I just added a simple Tell A Friend system that shows up at the bottom of each game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a no show in Mozilla Firefox.

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#15 alex_pof

alex_pof

GMC Member

• 1296 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

ok yeah i see how you do it. i have been working on doing it a similar way for my site. but nice job actually doing it. definately keep it up.

EDIT: i see the tell a friend part using firefox

Edited by alex_pof, 31 January 2008 - 03:43 AM.

#16 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

looks awesome~

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#17 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Oooh a fight?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Want to be my best friend? Just kidding. Anyways, if he is talking about "Games For Free" that is not really the image I'm aiming for, so I wouldn't consider us rivals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but of course most of the good parts of it have not been implemented, such as online play. Main reason I made that post. >_<
All the best,
Brandon Evans

#18 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for all the praise guys. Try again on the "Tell A Friend" Dinsdale, it works fine for me in Mozilla and IE.

As for BrandMan211, good luck man, I like the site so far :)

#19 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Wow. That is nice :) THe layout is a little dull, though.

How did you get the games to run on the website?

#20 0snake

0snake

GMC Member

• 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

how did you get it to have instant play online i have a online fighting game i will re-continue if i can make it run through i web browser

#21 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

I programmed it myself in JAVA. If you finish up the game and it is of good quality, I will put it on the site.

#22 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

If I make a good quality game, is there anyway that I can have it on my website, and yours? Like, you host it with however you run them? Or I can host it on my site :) Either way, I would like some way for me to run games through my website.

#23 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

If I make a good quality game, is there anyway that I can have it on my website, and yours? Like, you host it with however you run them? Or I can host it on my site :) Either way, I would like some way for me to run games through my website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not quite sure about that...as I don't want the technology to be used in harmful ways. And the only way to prevent that is having me host it, and I don't want you using my hosting without me getting anything out of it. So short answer is no.

#24 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

How about $50 for the script? (Talk in PM about it? :))
Or, you keep all the adsense revenue?

#25 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

As for BrandMan211, good luck man, I like the site so far :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

XD, you shouldn't. It's terrible. If it wasn't for the awesome engine Hach-Que built, and my forum embedding system, it'd be terrible. The aesthetics will be completely replaced, and we will add many features.
All the best,
Brandon Evans

#26 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

As for BrandMan211, good luck man, I like the site so far :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

XD, you shouldn't. It's terrible. If it wasn't for the awesome engine Hach-Que built, and my forum embedding system, it'd be terrible. The aesthetics will be completely replaced, and we will add many features.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, whatever. You're still working on it.

I'll PM you anonymouss.

#27 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know I have added three more games:

Death Worm
Super Breakout 2007 Evolution
Seizuredome

Hope you guys like em! If you feel your game is good enough to be on GMArcade.com just post here :wacko:

Edited by homebrewpc, 02 February 2008 - 03:18 AM.

#28 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hmmm...does anyone have any more opinions on the site? Or want their game on it? This topic hasn't had a post in two days :)

#29 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hmmm...does anyone have any more opinions on the site? Or want their game on it? This topic hasn't had a post in two days :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would offer to put my game on it, However not until it is completely finished and up to a good standard.

Edit: :huh: you still haven't changed the link colour, sticking with blue?

Edited by Dinsdale, 03 February 2008 - 10:27 PM.

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#30 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would offer to put my game on it, However not until it is completely finished and up to a good standard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, just post a link to your game when it is polished and I will check it out. I'm trying to create a different kind of button instead of text links, and it is actually proving rather difficult...but I guarantee you I will change it.

#31 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, just post a link to your game when it is polished and I will check it out. I'm trying to create a different kind of button instead of text links, and it is actually proving rather difficult...but I guarantee you I will change it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O_O I swear you are a really smart member... New to website development or something? If you are it's a really nice site you have.

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#32 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

Definitely not new to website development, but thanks for the compliments. I just took 1st place in Website Development at Divisions in a business group, I'm going to State in May.

#33 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

You may want to put a "This game may take a little bit to load" text under or above the Play Now buttons. :) That way people don' rush it, and end up leaving the site.

#34 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

You may want to put a "This game may take a little bit to load" text under or above the Play Now buttons. :huh: That way people don' rush it, and end up leaving the site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a good idea, I do have that in the description of Mb heavy games, but I will put it by the button for all of them. Maybe something like "Please be patient when game is loading, it might take a couple of seconds."

Also, I changed the buttons on the main page now. I gave up on the method I was trying to do, but the new method looks just as good (I think).

EDIT: I added that under the load button, thanks for the idea :)

Edited by homebrewpc, 03 February 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#35 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

I like how the buttons look :)

You should just change the link color on the frontpage.

#36 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

I like how the buttons look :)

You should just change the link color on the frontpage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where it says "YoYo Games" and "install Java 6" ?

#37 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

Ya. The blue doesn't match the layout.

#38 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

Ya. The blue doesn't match the layout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotcha, I will try to change the ones in the Google Ads too. Will do that in a second here...Thanks for all the suggestions!

#39 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

The google ads are no problem to change :) And, assuming you used CSS for your website, the links should be easy (To change for the whole site :huh:)

#40 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

The google ads are no problem to change :) And, assuming you used CSS for your website, the links should be easy (To change for the whole site :huh:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How're all the links now?

#41 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

Much better.

#42 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

Awesome =D

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#43 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Sounds good :) Anymore suggestions please don't hesitate to tell me.

EDIT: And Dinsdale, I would definitely love a Castle Siege game on GMArcade. So once its polished (and graphics are a little better), I would love to put your game on GMArcade.

Edited by homebrewpc, 04 February 2008 - 12:32 AM.

#44 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:54 AM

Hmmm maybe if the user hovered over a game thumbnail they would get a very short description about it in a small pop up box? Maybe user comments on games?

(just thinking of random ideas)

Edited by Dinsdale, 04 February 2008 - 12:54 AM.

This week I recommend:
Posted Image

#45 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hmmm maybe if the user hovered over a game thumbnail they would get a very short description about it in a small pop up box? Maybe user comments on games?

(just thinking of random ideas)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like the hover box idea, I will have to look into that. I'm still debating on whether to add comments or not...because you look at other free online games sites and none of them have them...but I'm thinking about. I'll start working on the pop-up description thing though :)

#46 Camman

Camman

UnReal Software CEO

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Wow, I am impressed. Great job! I've been wanting a launch button on the The Warrior's Path website for awhile now. It's very interesting on how you did the "Instant Play" thing. Java you said? I may have to look into that. ANYWAY, overall pretty good.

~Cameron

#47 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

Wow, I am impressed. Great job! I've been wanting a launch button on the The Warrior's Path website for awhile now. It's very interesting on how you did the "Instant Play" thing. Java you said? I may have to look into that. ANYWAY, overall pretty good.

~Cameron

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The method he did it is rather simple, yet genius, to be honest.

#48 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

~Cameron

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The method he did it is rather simple, yet genius, to be honest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the praise guys :) I'm working on the hovering thing...however I am trying to get positioning of the pop-ups correct...

#49 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

A hover box sounds like a great idea!~

#50 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

A hover box sounds like a great idea!~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good, because I finally got them working in all browsers (hopefully).