50 replies to this topic

#1 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Another Guitar Hero Clone

Well I don't even own a console to play guitar hero on. But after playing it at a friends place I was intrigued and sought something to emulate it on PC.

I uncovered Freetar, a guitar hero clone made in Java with a community and many many songs ready to play (provided you had/sourced the mp3) (This site has since shut down)

But the engine was buggy and had issues that I didn't like. Because of this I decided to code my own engine, and make it able to play all the Freetar songs that I had downloaded.

And so here it is...
Posted Image
Particle effects now work. Choose between on or off as you please (see options)

New Features:

Streaks (not yet shown)
On screen scores.
Multiplier.

Old update info
3d
Menu
Options
Single notes
Long Notes
Doubles/triples
Pretty Visuals
New In the current version
Skinning
Particles in 3d
3d Models for frets

Made with GM version 6.1
Resolution is 640X480

Source:
Posted Image
Please credit me (credits to "AGHC Engine by Polarbear") if you use it and I'd love to check out your WIP/finished games using my engine so please, PM me a link when you can! I'd love to see where this heads.

Size is 1.52 Mb (single file) or 6.17Mb (with ps3 song)
Without song (if you have some sng's already)
LINKY!

With song
Posted Image

<<<Old Versions>>>

V1.6 With "How to kill a brand" (aka the ps3 song)

V1.6 With no songs.

V1.5 With "How to kill a brand" (aka the ps3 song)

V1.5 With no songs.

V1.2 With "How to kill a brand" (aka the ps3 song)

V1.2 With no songs.
With no songs.

V1.10 With "How to kill a brand" (aka the ps3 song)

V1.10 With no songs.

V1.00 With "How to kill a brand" (aka the ps3 song)

V1.00 With no songs.

Controls:
1,2,3,4,5 are the fret keys (green-orange, 1-5)
Enter to strum.
Numpad 1 to pause (also to begin playing).

You must press the start/pause key to begin play!
You must hold the required fret keys AND strum in order to play.

Credits:
Gamecave Effects Engine for the flame particles.
tsg1zzn for the SuperSoundSystem DLL

To Get More Songs
SNG ZIP LINK
You can download some .sng files from this .zip on WHFF. Because of the way WHFF is set up you can download individual files from this zip or the whole zip. To play these songs in the game you need the .ogg file. This can be got by obtaining an mp3 and converting it with an audio editing program like Audacity or Goldwave. Then in the .sng file (open in notepad) look for the file name with the .mp3 extension. Change the filename to whatever your filename for that song is (don't forget the extension)

Play the game and try your song! Sometimes there is a synch problem that occurs with different mp3's (eg your version of the song has more silence at the beginning) To solve this problem you need to edit the .sng file. I will host up the old freetar editor soon.

You can still find many peoples .sng files (for the discontinued Freetar game) if you search google for "freetar .sng"

Edited by irregular, 20 April 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#2 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Okay,
- the song was hilarious... (Although I am a sony fan)...
- I don't know what my score was... nothing came up
- The gameplay wasn't too difficult but challenging. It was okay.
- The game kept lagging and when it lagged, as soon as it came back to regular speed, it rushed and went really fast to catch up to where it was suppose to be which messes with the flow of the game.
- Make it Vista Compatatible. Forcing people who have vista to convert it is just annoying. Especially when it's just a beta for testing.

Edited by Glen, 17 January 2008 - 02:08 PM.

Avic Pro (Work in Progress):
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#3 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

Glen:

The score should appear in the title bar thingie up the top.
By gameplay do you mean the song? Such as the arrangement of the frets and such? Because if so all you need to do to make it harder is get some harder songs :lol:

The lag is annoying, may I ask what caused this lag? Was it the particle effects? Some of my friends have computers that aren't as good as mine and they experienced lag with the particles, because of this I will make the particle effects an optional effect.

When I put up a new version I will make it vista compatible. Provided I can find that converter or whatever :D

#4 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

The lag occured when I had to press two frets at the same time. And as for the songs, you should have the songs In the .exe or have the game load them, not all players will like having to load a song themselves. And when you say pick a harder song to make the gameplay harder... Does that mean if I picked a slow song, the game would be slower and easier? And the faster the song, the harder the gameplay will be?
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#5 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

Pressing two frets should not affect the game play.

Where these long frets perhaps? That might affect it due to the particles... Or maybe your computer just won't handle all the particles made when you hit a 2 fret on it's own?
Regardless the addition of the non-particle effect will (hopefully) eliminate that.

As to the harder songs. From the freetar site you can get many songs. Some of these songs have been made to be easy, medium, hard or expert. As such the expert songs will invariably be harder than a medium song.

By 'slower' I assume you mean less chords (frets? I'm not very musical) less often?

If that is what you mean it is all dependant on the sng files you personally download.

#6 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

It's not my computer... I have a very good computer. I don't usually lag on games. Is there a large amount of code going on when you press a fret? Either way, there is something causing a lag. It's not my computer. I'll wait for other to reply on this...

#7 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

As am I. There have been 29 downloads and only you have replied. About 15 of those downloads are my friends not from the forum. But that still leaves a lot of people...

When you PRESS a fret it changes an array variable from 0 to 1...

Strumming runs through a bit of code but I have not noticed any lag...

Once I have the non-particle effect done I will post it for you to try.

#8 Charlie_Nut_Sak

Charlie_Nut_Sak

GMC Member

• 273 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:45 AM

hate guitar hero, hate clones. please try to be a bit more original.

anyway. i didnt seem to work. i hit the key and nothing happened. i may have not been pressing it on the right time every note but i should have at least got one, but it seems i didnt. song was good. thats it

#9 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

Charlie:
I will attempt to respond by breaking your comments up.

hate guitar hero

That is something you choose, I have no power here.

hate clones.

Again I have no power.

please try to be a bit more original.

Have you seen any of my other games? Or even read the paragraph I typed out JUST FOR THIS KIND OF PERSON? I said, I don't have a console but still wanted to play. Please read the game information before making a fool of yourself.

anyway. i didnt seem to work. i hit the key and nothing happened. i may have not been pressing it on the right time every note but i should have at least got one, but it seems i didnt. song was good. thats it

Strange... Are you sure you were strumming?
You have to hold both the required frets AND strum in order to make it work. I didn't state that because I thought only people familiar to GH would even look at this. And I am not trying to be condescending to you, my friend had the same problem, he didn't realise he had to strum too.

#10 Charlie_Nut_Sak

Charlie_Nut_Sak

GMC Member

• 273 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:25 AM

"Have you seen any of my other games? Or even read the paragraph I typed out JUST FOR THIS KIND OF PERSON? I said, I don't have a console but still wanted to play. Please read the game information before making a fool of yourself."

i did read that, and you actually said, you "sought something to emulate it on PC."

and there is.... its called Flash Hero, and is quite fun.

it seems that if a person was so "intrigued and sought something to emulate it on PC." they would have found this.

please do bit more research "before making a fool of yourself."

[EDIT]

oh and yes, i was forgetting to strum the notes, my apologies.

Edited by Charlie_Nut_Sak, 18 January 2008 - 04:26 AM.

#11 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

I found the Flash game while I was looking, but I dislike flash games (mainly because this one refused to download to my hdd properly)

I didn't feel the need to mention it as it was freetar that made me want to make this.

For a person who hates guitar hero you seem decently knowledgeable. I like that, know thy enemy. :lol: Thanks anyways Charlie.

#12 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

New version!

Added 3d, options for keymap and effects (effects broken though) and menu.

#13 345138

GMC Member

• 393 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

Can you make it guitar hero guitar compatible?

#14 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

If I had a Guitar hero Guitar to try it with... what kind of guitar do you have?

Will I need a joystick dll or something? Or is the buttons counted as keypresses with numbers that aren't part of the usual keyboard setup?

#15 Soup42

Soup42

GMC Member

• 249 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

I tried playing both versions but they don't work for me. :( The keys aren't actually aligned on the board and the music never started. I did like the actually 3d look and the customizable controls.

#16 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Soup: Weird... Did you have the ogg and sng files in the same place as each other? That's the only way I can think that it wouldn't work...

#17 Elmind

Elmind

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

You need some sprites... Here, use mine:
http://rapidshare.de...prites.zip.html

Credit me, please...

#18 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

Actually... No I don't think I need your sprites at all...

This engine allows custom skinning for the next release, so I don't want your sprites at all.

#19 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Please, if you download please post a reply. Even just to say that you loved it. People keep downloading but no-one is replying!!!

#20 link884

link884

GMC Member

• 124 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

i load a song and the game dosnt play? is this normal an do i have to press something to play? (it does this after the game requests a song, i choose the song that came with the download and nothing is hapening)
Gamemaker 7.0 Registered.

#21 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:20 AM

Yeah hit either numpad 0 or numpad 1...

The start key...

#22 PeeterCZ

PeeterCZ

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

I love it! If the graphics were a little bit tweaked, it would look totally GREAT! :D
Umm........nothing!

#23 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

I love it! If the graphics were a little bit tweaked, it would look totally GREAT! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks man. I am going to add in 3d notes and such shortly. I also have fixed a problem with some sng files with loading incorrectly... only half the notes were loading. Upload soon... once I am on a pc not a hiptop

#24 JakeX

JakeX

GMC Member

• 548 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

Not as good as Frets on Fire, but then again, what is?

Posted Image

#25 ChaoticMethods

ChaoticMethods

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:05 AM

Pretty good. I did notice times when I would strum a chord, and I missed one of the fret keys, that the game would count it.

EX: I would need to hit Keys 1 and 3, but I only hit 3. I'd strum, and both 1 and 3 would fire up as if I had hit both of them.

#26 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:14 AM

Pretty good. I did notice times when I would strum a chord, and I missed one of the fret keys, that the game would count it.

EX: I would need to hit Keys 1 and 3, but I only hit 3. I'd strum, and both 1 and 3 would fire up as if I had hit both of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I have also noticed it but can't see where in my code it could be coming from... it's a 'special feature' :) until I figure out how to kill it...

#27 Mazin Mark

Mazin Mark

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

Change the default strum key to back space because then u can hold ur keyboard upside down and hold it like a guiar and use ur thumb to strum like in "flash hero".

#28 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

I prefer to use the enter key. If you like backspace more simply set it in the options and then it shouldn't change back.

#29 PeeterCZ

PeeterCZ

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

When will you release the new version? :blink:
Umm........nothing!

#30 VHProductions

VHProductions

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Do not work... Sorry

#31 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

VH: what doesn't work?

#32 Romano

Romano

GMC Member

• 675 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

Even though Im not that good with these type of games (score like 7-8k i think), and im not good with the real game in real life, I liked it more or less.

The graphics are pretty simply, the flame effect is ok, but i didnt like the background fading to black, it was strange xD and make a different image for the board. Otherwise 7/10

The gameplay is one of the best of these games Ive seen, so here you will get 8.5/10

The sound well that explains itself xD

The game didnt seem to be polished too much, a lot of bugs, the menu is okay, but the name "Another Guitar Hero Clone" is extremely ridiculous (sry).

Overall I would have to say 8/10

#33 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

Even though Im not that good with these type of games (score like 7-8k i think), and im not good with the real game in real life, I liked it more or less.

The graphics are pretty simply, the flame effect is ok, but i didnt like the background fading to black, it was strange xD and make a different image for the board. Otherwise 7/10

The gameplay is one of the best of these games Ive seen, so here you will get 8.5/10

The sound well that explains itself xD

The game didnt seem to be polished too much, a lot of bugs, the menu is okay, but the name "Another Guitar Hero Clone" is extremely ridiculous (sry).

Overall I would have to say 8/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I like the fog effect, it covers up the fact that the frets and fretboard aren't always visible (to save processing)

The graphics will be improved once I get my skinning system to work :whistle:

I saw all these GH clones around trying to sound good and I have a torrent called Another Bittorrent Client and that name inspired me. Because my game is just one of the many clones out there :blink:

Also perhaps you noticed I have updated to V1.2 This version has better reading of the sng files and fixed a couple of glitches.

#34 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

So, I left the GMC for a few months and now I'm back with a fairly big update to AGHC.

I have fixed the aforementioned bug where frets would be considered played when they weren't.
I have added the skinning (however only one skin at the moment)
Made some cool new 3d frets and a new fretboard
Fixed the 3d particles.

So, please download away and give me your best/worst criticisms/praises.

#35 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

Please, if you download this comment and tell me what you think!

I have had over 60 downloads so far and nobody has replied...

I have just uploaded the .sng zip so you can play many other songs provided you source the actual song files yourself.

#36 sr101

sr101

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:19 AM

Wow sick dude

but......... i have played GH world tour.
i test games at Activision ( Vicarouis Visions to be literal)
so.......... its just "cool".
I'll make a song pack using C++ and post it soon

Untill Song pack ~SR101 (MKL)

#37 sr101

sr101

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:55 AM

Heres the song pack
(includes ogg's)
Rockstar-Nickleback
Starway to heaven- led zeplen
on the hunt- lennard skynard

RAR format
Download me now!!!

#38 SuperNerd

SuperNerd

GMC Member

• 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

I've downloaded it and I think that it moves too "slow" for my liking and the explosions are created off center and too high, also a bit too large.
Sometimes, (it may just be the keyboard I'm using) I would press the fret and strum and nothing would happen, even when it's only one note for a while and sits on the "strum-frety-thing" it'd do nothing.
And how do the long notes work? I hit them and they acted like a short/single note. They didn't burn up and no flames appeared above...

Still pretty good though...

#39 sr101

sr101

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'll take requests on songs for my next song pack!

BTW: i used c++ so the notes are a little off,

Edited by sr101, 30 August 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#40 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:32 AM

I've downloaded it and I think that it moves too "slow" for my liking and the explosions are created off center and too high, also a bit too large.
Sometimes, (it may just be the keyboard I'm using) I would press the fret and strum and nothing would happen, even when it's only one note for a while and sits on the "strum-frety-thing" it'd do nothing.
And how do the long notes work? I hit them and they acted like a short/single note. They didn't burn up and no flames appeared above...

Still pretty good though...

I've sped it up recently have uploaded a new version. I was going to try and perfect the streaks code (it's got a bug) but that will have to wait till the next version. The next version (not 1.60) should have multiplier, streaks and scores working and displayed on screen rather than up the top of the window. Also as to notes not working properly... I encountered this once and tried to duplicate it many times in debug mode and can't get it to work (fail) like it did... So until I can duplicate it I can't fix it.

Check original post for the new link (1.60)

Edited by irregular, 31 August 2008 - 06:12 AM.

#41 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

To the 21 people who downloaded version 1.60, thank you so much for replying
/sarcasm

So, I have just put up the new version guys. This one has got an on screen score board and multiplier. I also have the streaks code fixed but until I do the rock meter it won't be shown. Rock meter should only take me a little while but I am supposed to be studying ::lmao:: expect another update soon.

#42 TMSheik

TMSheik

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:38 AM

ok I just registered for this forum so I could post in this topic. This is a great project! Thank you so much :blink:
Also, do you know other place to get songs besides the one you already posted? Thank you very much!

#43 popple_waffles

popple_waffles

GMC Member

• 236 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:30 AM

I have some very nice fret GFX if you want some
Posted Image
I can Email you all of the graphics I used

This will make your game less laggy since its using a 2D image instead of a full 3D object

(I have sustain graphics, and note explosion GFX too)

Edited by popple_waffles, 09 December 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#44 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been to the GMC or even since I've programmed. However I will try to get this finished soon.

@ Popple_waffles, Someone already offered to give me 2d sprites but I declined the offer as I like the 3d more, it was an attempt to grasp 3d better than I already had and I think I did quite well.

@TMsheik, Thank you for the compliment. There used to be a freetar community (which I mentioned in my original post I think) but it shut down. You can still find many peoples .sng files if you search google for "freetar .sng"

Also, AGHC has now achieved over 8000 downloads!

#45 briantrlov

briantrlov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

i have a rock meter :( it has decent graphics to and it works and from the pic it looks nice, what did you do to make the frets tho? im jealous of you lol :D
Posted Image

#46 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:20 AM

The frets are simple objects made in anim8or.

I just went to look over my programming and check what I still had to do for the rock meter and GASP my entire source code was gone. Thankfully I remembered I've moved everything to my external harddrive XD

EDIT: I also now have no idea what I meant when I said the streaks code wasn't fixed... Seems fine when I downloaded V 1.65, anyone have any clue what I was on about?

Edited by irregular, 08 January 2009 - 05:45 AM.

#47 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

Now over 9000 downloads!
C'mon guys. If you download please make some kind of comment.

#48 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

Ok, so guys. It's been a few months and I'm not really doing ANYTHING with game maker anymore. As such if you guys want it I shall release my source code. Keeping in mind that I didn't have much order to the way I did things and I barely commented it. Ask and you shall recieve.

#49 dynamik rock

dynamik rock

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

could i have so
rce i think it would be great if you made it open sorce

#50 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

could i have so
rce i think it would be great if you made it open sorce

Ok guys, the source is in the first post. Please credit me (credits to "AGHC Engine by Polarbear") if you use it and I'd love to check out your WIP/finished games using my engine so please, PM me a link when you can! I'd love to see where this heads.

Edited by irregular, 20 April 2009 - 11:29 AM.