21 replies to this topic

#1 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Alright so I made this only because silent_dos didn't support any other applications but dos things apparently >_> So anyway, with my silex dll you could, if you want, make notepad run in the background - I tested it.

DL:
Posted Image

Contents:
Example.bat
Silex example.gm6
Silex.dll
readme.txt

F.A.Q. (contents of the readme)
Q: What's Silex?
A: A dll that enables you to run any application in the background.

Q: What's silex.dll?
A: The dll that does the above.

Q: Can I have the source? Pl0x?
A: No.

Q: What language was this made in?
A: Pascal compiled with dev-pascal.

Q: What's example.bat?
A: It's a batch file that simple opens notepad. If you didn't use silex to call it,
you'd also see a command window pop up.

Q: Umm... my program doesn't show up!111111
A: That's exactly what this does..

Q: What if I want to pass arguments to the executed program?
A: Use external_call(global.silexA,<PATH>,<ARG>);

Q: The timestamp on the dll says 7:14 am!!
A: Uh.. good for you? Yes, I made this thing in ~20 minutes.

Q: Why don't I just use the silent_dos dll?
A: Because that dll doesn't work on things like notepad.

Q: Why the name?
A: It stands for SILentlyEXecute

So I hope some of you will enjoy it. Yes, this dll does include support for arguments using another function (see faq).

#2 Robot Freak

Robot Freak

GMC Member

• 271 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Does it run in a separate thread?
Does it return any results given by a win32 console program?

#3 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

For the first question: I assume so just by the fact that it doesn't freeze the program like silent_dos does.. and no to the second one.

#4 RabbidMickeyMouse

RabbidMickeyMouse

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

It doesn't seem to run the programs silently. They show up as usual. I wouldn't know if this is a problem on my end though.

#5 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

It works for me - then again I have windows 2000 (rofl) what version do you have? And if you just click the ok box without changing anything then yes, notepad pops up. (but a batchfile starts notepad, if you run the batchfile without this then another window pops up). Here's a screeny showing it working for me.. For the path I entered: c:\winnt\notepad.exe
http://i206.photobuc...07/sileshow.jpg
As you can see (must click, it's 1024x768) notepad.exe is running in the background while it does not show in the taskbar.

#6 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

From the screen we can see why you made this. :D

#7 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Actually, no I just felt like putting it in that directory because it has a bunch of gm files that already have code to use dlls and I didn't feel like recoding something that's already there. Yes, I've stopped publicly releasing DHP but I did make a private version 1.3 that has some amazing protection (IMO).. it prevents unwanted changes of variables and detects when variables are frozen.. it also has some basic protection against hacking the dll itself but I'm a noob at hacking so I really can't test the protection that much. I actually made this because my dad bought a printer that didn't work on his mac.. and he wanted me to make a program that auto prints any files uploaded to my computer. So, I made a program that checked if files were in the upload directory and printed them out.. now they're all pdfs and adobe pops up when it gets the print command so using my dll I was able to make my entire 'print server' run in the background. Then I felt like sharing :D.

#8 RabbidMickeyMouse

RabbidMickeyMouse

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

I'm using Vista. Would you know if that changes anything?

#9 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

Well, the most basic test would be to find out what your windows directory is (ex: c:\windows) cause I'm not sure what it is on vista, and then find where notepad is which is usually right in the windows directory so for win2k it would be c:\winnt\notepad.exe and on xp it would be c:\windows\notepad.exe In fact, the only thing I have tried this on is 2k but I could attempt to try it on xp and see if it at least works for that :D. (and maybe if I get lucky try it on vista at school =O)

#10 SerMSYS

SerMSYS

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

Cool DLL, I've been looking for one lately...

Note that the dll doesnt hide notepad when you select example.bat, basically its cmd that only gets hidden. It works when you run applications directly through the dll though.
Battlefield 2/CoD 4/Fallout 3/GTA IV player | Quad-Core owner

#11 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:48 AM

So... it makes a program a background? It puts Google as a background for your game or something?

qNDVrhl.png

#12 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

Cool DLL, I've been looking for one lately...

Note that the dll doesnt hide notepad when you select example.bat, basically its cmd that only gets hidden. It works when you run applications directly through the dll though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I tried explaining that but obviously not many people use bat's around here.. And thanks.

@11clock = if you know the full path and provide it to the dll it will make it not show up in the taskbar or pop up or be visible at all. The taskbar is the lovely thing at the bottom with your pretty start button. So if you wanted to hide google messenger or w/e then it wouldn't be visible BUT you'd also not be able to see messages your receive.

#13 RabbidMickeyMouse

RabbidMickeyMouse

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:24 AM

I've tested several computer applications, and it seems as though only Microsoft applications run silently, such as Notepad, Word, Paint etc. GM apps, and others like Audacity, and FireFox appear normally.

#14 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

Ah well, I didn't do a wide range of testing >_> but I know that a program I made (not with gm) did run silently. It was made with pascal (as 99% of things I make are)

#15 kubaszewczyk11

kubaszewczyk11

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

9/10!
Suggestions:
- Make "UN-SLIENTING" applications!

#16 necrotic

necrotic

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

Silex - Definately NOT a laxitive.

#17 Rojo_Mann

Rojo_Mann

GMC Member

• 198 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

befor i use this, does the background program still respond(like if i set up a GM program that checks for text files to determine if it does somthing)?

#18 kubaszewczyk11

kubaszewczyk11

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

That will allow me to use my Sound Player tool(runs in console) :(

#19 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

befor i use this, does the background program still respond(like if i set up a GM program that checks for text files to determine if it does somthing)?

Sorry, don't check this topic often <_< anyway, the program will still run and respond - but if the program's running in the background, you'll need something to close it (like taskmanager) Anyway someone else already said this doesn't work for GM apps - and I can only assume it's because GM has 2 handles (parent and screen).

@kubaszewczyk11 = Hopefully, as RabbidMickeyMouse said, some apps won't work. =P

#20 gamer freak

gamer freak

Voice of Logic

• 402 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:17 AM

Better then silentDos IMO
Going to use, thanks for making this (I don't care if I resurrect this old topic)

EDIT:
Because the link is down, I have uploaded the zip to my own whff account

http://willhostforfo...hp?fileid=59837

Edited by gamer freak, 25 March 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#21 Chazzmundo

Chazzmundo

GMC Member

• 275 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

anyone got a link to the dll? both sites are down. is there no way of hiding both the parent and the screen processes?
Chazz

#22 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mnu4yk0mdy