Killer Worm 3

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Killer Worm III is the 3rd game in the series, while I did never finish Killer Worm 2, I decided to start on Killer Worm 3 as the mouse controls of Killer Worm 2 were very unpopular and people were demanding the keyboard controls, thus Killer Worm 3 was born!

I have tried to improve the series by adding what people were requesting and listening to feedback. There still is a lot of work to be done on the game which means I am still entirely open to feedback, critism and suggestions.

History of the series
While the Killer Worm series isn't very recognized, it has been around since 2006 and the original was on Experimental Gameplay's top 21 for several months and was very popular in a few communities.

I had released Killer Worm in March 2006, while Killer Worm 2's beta was initially released in July of the same year.

Gameplay
In Killer Worm 3 you have the task of eating critters and humans for a high score while keeping your hunger in check.
Humans will slowly build new technologies to destroy you as time passes. Eventually they'll have very powerful weapons which would be wise to avoid whenever possible.

The rocks created while jumping out of the ground can be used as projectiles to destroy, crush or damage vehicles, humans and animals. The larger you are the larger these rocks will be and the more damage they will do.

While eating humans and animals, you'll slowly grow. There are 5 growth stages, each of these will grant you 3 stat points which can be assigned by pressing Spacebar and then assigning the stats as you want.
Every once so often an edible plant will form which can be eaten for bonuses, such as extra armour, hunger resistance and/or a speed boost.

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download
Download Killer Worm 3

Please note that this game is still in heavy beta stages, I'd appreciate feedback and constructive critism of any sort.
I still plan on doing a lot of work on this game, but I've been very busy lately so I can't garurantee frequent updates.

Enjoy. ;)

Edited by Unc1354m, 28 February 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#2 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Released a new version!

It's mainly the graphics which have been updated, along with a nifty little screen which comes up when you die.

http://www.clanexe.c...wnloads/kw3.zip

#3 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

I've updated the game and the first post.
Use the above links for the updated version of the game.

I'd appreciate some feedback. :)

#4 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:00 AM

*cough*
http://gmc.yoyogames...view=getnewpost

Edited by The Unknown, 26 February 2008 - 03:00 AM.

#5 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

*cough*
http://gmc.yoyogames...view=getnewpost

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er... that link isn't really relevant. This is a topic for Killer Worm, not Death Worm. But yes, Death Worm and Killer Worm both have the same concepts merely by coincidence.

#6 negen99

negen99

GMC Member

• 567 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

It's too much like death worm. even the name sounds a bit like it.

The rock thing is aweful. It's just plain weird.

The overall feel and look of the game is good.

One question... why are the helicopters green while the animals, people and tanks are white? It felt odd.

I would suggest you try to add something unique to your game. Right now i't feels like a death worm clone.

#7 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

It's too much like death worm. even the name sounds a bit like it.

The rock thing is aweful. It's just plain weird.

The overall feel and look of the game is good.

One question... why are the helicopters green while the animals, people and tanks are white? It felt odd.

I would suggest you try to add something unique to your game. Right now i't feels like a death worm clone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi!

I do agree with the rock system being a little annoying and unintuitive, and I do want to change it somehow, the problem is that I can't think of an effective way to handle this.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
But yes, at the moment the rocks work the same way as they did in both the previous KW games.
I was thinking of bhaving the rocks slow down and only cause damage if they are going a certain speed, but a lot of people simply don't like the rocks altogether.

Regarding the helicopter's sprite: Honestly, halfway through developing the game I had decided to overhall the graphics completely as the initial release was too bright and cartoony, somewhat hard on the eyes. Unfortunately I totally forgot to change the helicopter's sprite. :)
Will be changed in the next release, I also want to make the tank look less... er... like a cow.

And about the similarities between Death Worm and Killer Worm:
Unfortunately I can't do much about this unless I changed the concept of the Killer Worm games entirely, which I'd rather not do as I really enjoy developing Killer Worm games.

I do want to add a few unique features to the game of course, one of my plans is a Boss system, every few hundred years a boss will appear from either side of the map which will be challenging in some form, eah will be unique and randomised with the possibility of having minions. Other than that, I don't want to make the game -too- confusing, and rather keep it as an enjoyable game to waste some time on.

And just a note, Killer Worm is not a Death Worm clone by any means, and if you're judging by how long the serties has been around; the original Killer Worm game was released publicly before Death Worm was. I do admit however, that I should have gone further with the concept at the time rather then creating a quick minigame. :)

Edited by Unc1354m, 26 February 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#8 AceSuperVillain

AceSuperVillain

GMC Member

• 835 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

If you can't not copy Death Worm, then at least try to make it better than Death Worm. Your control scheme isn't as good and the worm just looks like a giant loogy.

All this does is make me want to play Death Worm.

#9 Pepperoni

Pepperoni

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

wow this took a long time to load but it was worth it! i couldnt stop playing! lol

if death worm is really better than this ill have to check it out!

#10 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

wow this took a long time to load but it was worth it! i couldnt stop playing! lol

if death worm is really better than this ill have to check it out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comment!

If you can't not copy Death Worm, then at least try to make it better than Death Worm. Your control scheme isn't as good and the worm just looks like a giant loogy.

All this does is make me want to play Death Worm.

First of all, to be fair; Death Worm is a completed game whereas Killer Worm is still heavily a WIP. if anyone has any suggestions which they'd like to be added to the game please post here and I'll definately consider it. I have no way of knowing what the community wants from the game.

What I do have planned for the next release:

- A boss system
- Perhaps a new worm sprite?
- Changing the rock system
- More enemy types
- More sounds

If you want anything else, drop a suggestion. :ph34r:

Edited by Unc1354m, 28 February 2008 - 05:10 PM.

#11 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

Be original.

The worst thing you could do is almost completely base your game off someone else's game that is/was popular. Even if it wasn't popular, it's still bad to take someone else's idea and not even improve upon it. And since it is popular, everyone is going to compare your game to Death Worm whether or not you like it.

I'd rather see someone make a poor, but original game than an "okay" game that's pretty much completely unoriginal. And if your only defense is "oh, it's still a WIP, so it may be original.. eventually", why even post this demo? =\

#12 ilikepie

ilikepie

Sparxs Games

• 784 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

Death Worm isn't completely original. The move Tremors is what it was most likely based on.
Edit: Woops, they were both posted in 2006, this was started 2005-2006.

Edited by ilikepie, 28 February 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#13 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Be original.

The worst thing you could do is almost completely base your game off someone else's game that is/was popular. Even if it wasn't popular, it's still bad to take someone else's idea and not even improve upon it. And since it is popular, everyone is going to compare your game to Death Worm whether or not you like it.

I'd rather see someone make a poor, but original game than an "okay" game that's pretty much completely unoriginal. And if your only defense is "oh, it's still a WIP, so it may be original.. eventually", why even post this demo? =\

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I've said, this game is not based off Death Worm and is not related to it in any way. This game is based off a game that I created a long time ago. The only real massive difference between my previous 2 Killer Worm games and this one is that this one has keyboard controls, which people had wanted for a long time.
Now, when I released Killer Worm 1, even though it wasn't a great game, it was a unique concept and got a lot of attention at the time in various communities. A few months later I had decided to create Killer Worm 2 to improve my KW1 concept. It was only when i came to release Killer Worm 2 here that I found Death Worm, at which point people weren't very impressed with KW2 and wanted a lot more. So I started working on KW3 slowly and working on various features people had wanted.

Now, I do know that Killer Worm will be compared to Death Worm, but that's no reason for me to drop a series I've had a lot of fun working on.

I posted the demo here to receive feedback and suggestions, releasing a game with absolutely no community feedback isn't a great idea.

It looks like this game has been around longer than Death Worms' been around.

I decided to do a little research with google of the earliest I could find each game's release, just for my defense:
http://web.archive.o...topic.php?23250 (April 01, 2006)
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=215286 (June 9 2006)

Edit:

Edit: Death worm was posted 2007, this was started 2005-2006.

Oops, just noticed I had put 2005 somewhere in the first post bymistake, I meant 2006. Just fixed it. ::lmao::

Edited by Unc1354m, 28 February 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#14 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:36 PM

all right, i'm sorry then. You should've stated before that your series was released publicly first. However, I'm sure you've adapted a number of gameplay elements from death worm into this... Cause they are VERY similar. Especially with animals and people running away from you unless you attack from behind. Very similar engine.. very similar gameplay. I like the level up system... but speed and acceleration is the last thing you need. You already move too fast that it's very hard to aim, and you accelerate quite quickly as well. Graphics need work. Sound effects are needed. Make the game interesting, who said it had to be in an open field? Make a level that's in a city or something, and you can jump up and eat people by windows.

Chances are, a good amoutn of people playing this game have played death worm, and they're not going to want to play a similar game with worse graphics. However, if you really spice up the gameplay (I found death worm to be a pretty basic game, gameplay-wise) it could be something good. The pace was a bit slow for me. And I also got this error:

for object healthbar_human:

Error in code at line 3:
image_index=master.h

at position 21: Unknown variable h

#15 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

all right, i'm sorry then. You should've stated before that your series was released publicly first. However, I'm sure you've adapted a number of gameplay elements from death worm into this... Cause they are VERY similar. Especially with animals and people running away from you unless you attack from behind. Very similar engine.. very similar gameplay. I like the level up system... but speed and acceleration is the last thing you need. You already move too fast that it's very hard to aim, and you accelerate quite quickly as well. Graphics need work. Sound effects are needed. Make the game interesting, who said it had to be in an open field? Make a level that's in a city or something, and you can jump up and eat people by windows.

Chances are, a good amoutn of people playing this game have played death worm, and they're not going to want to play a similar game with worse graphics. However, if you really spice up the gameplay (I found death worm to be a pretty basic game, gameplay-wise) it could be something good. The pace was a bit slow for me. And I also got this error:

for object healthbar_human:

Error in code at line 3:
   image_index=master.h

at position 21: Unknown variable h

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice reply, thanks. ::lmao::

1.)
I'd say the only part of KW3 that's more like Death Worm than the previous games is the larger, closer scale and the keyboard controls. Things such as critters running away when the worm jumps out of the ground have been there since the first game. But both of these were heavily requested and was a logical move forward.
One thing which I did definately rip off from Death Worm was the underground trails, I just loved them too much to not add them. :lol:

2.)
As you grow you WILL need the extra speed if you want to gain any air, and the acceleration does help when you have a lot of stats placed into speed.
The aiming and the game's pace become a lot better further into the game when your worm is larger. I want to try make it so that it's easier and more enjoyable in the beginning in the next release.

3.)
Suggestions for improving the game is exactly the reason I posted here. I was thinking of having humans perhaps construct buildings as the time goes on, maybe starting from each side of the map and spreading out into the middle, they could build watch towers, civilian builds, etc. If enough people want this I'll definately add it.

Graphics are also something I still can improve upon.

4.)
Thanks for reporting that bug, hadn't happened to me in ages so I thought it was fixed. it should be an easy bug to fix. :lol:

Edited by Unc1354m, 29 February 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#16 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:07 AM

In my opinion, the building thing sounds pretty cool, but only if they're destroyable. Like, for example, when the worm hits the building it bounces off of it like it does when it hits the room boundaries, and then have the building sorta blink/flash (or invert colors) and play a sound. And you have to do that a certain number of times for it to be destroyed. Sorta like how sonic bosses worked on sega, if you've ever played them.

#17 DJ Motion

DJ Motion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:16 AM

hmm, am downloading, I played Death Worm. I thought that one was insane cool. I guess that's the reason why you made your own. The grfx look clean. So it's worth the try.

edit:
Hmm, it didn't amaze me right in the beginning. But ones new things started coming i played a little longer. But i'm tired. i'll play it another time and give some more comments.

Edited by DJ Motion, 29 February 2008 - 03:29 AM.

#18 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

Heres an idea, rival worms, come out of no where every now and then and start eating your people is you don't kill it u won't have egough food for youself so u kill it, it feels way too much liek death work :/ add more origonal ideas. and if this merly was a counidence u ahve to make it better knwo cause Deathworm is way more popular ::lmao::.

#19 andrew_berge

andrew_berge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Frankly, i found death worm better than killer worm.

I would definately change the sprites, one reason is the worm, sometimes your tail starts doing this weird ondulating (wavy, ripple) thing, i assume it's because the sprites for his tail are not circles.

I don't like the rocks flying in the air, it was indeed, weird, they're nice as an effect but i wouldn't use them as a weapon.

It was slow, i had to play five minutes before an actual threat showed up, and by then i was bored. I suggest having humans almost right away.

The music was okay, but i found it rather relaxing.

Not trying to discourage you, it's just my opinion.

Here's one of my ideas, uneven terrain, you could play in a mountain range or attack minors from above in caves.

Kepp up the good work. :(

PS i noticed the holes don't always line up with where you enter/leave the ground.

#20 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, I agree, the rock thing is a bad idea. Does it even count as eating the animals if they die because of the rocks? Cause I'd try to eat a whole swarm of animals and then the rocks bounce around and kill all of them before I get to them.. And I don't think it counted towards leveling or lowering the hunger bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users