97 replies to this topic

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

Alright guys, it's done. Maybe not as done as I would like, but done, nonetheless... and I invite you to play it, and (hopefully) enjoy it. I present to you:

Sun Sun Der - a SHMUP (bullet-hell style) where you play as Friga, spirit goddess of the winter, in order to fight back against the summer and restore the natural order of things!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Controls are as follows:
Z - Shoot
X - Attract power-ups
C - Special attack (when meter is charged)
P - Pause the game
F1 - Restart the game
F4 - Toggle windowed / full screen display modes
Esc - Exit the game

Download here: Link Removed (4.12 Mb) Whoops! Please play via YYG for now! :unsure:

YoYo Games link: http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/20454

I know the game isn't very long, and some of you who play these games a lot may not find it all that challenging either, but it is what it is. I put it together in about a week, and all in all, I am happy with it.

Music is by David Perritte (the same guy who did AHOVI).

And finally, I've lost enough sleep over trying to finish this, so I think it's time for me to get to bed. If there are any huge bugs / problems with this release, please let me know... for now, it's sleep time for Fred. :unsure:

#2 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Downloading now... will edit with comments later

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go jump in a fire.
Hopefully people won't forget this truely awesome rule:

Also, please don't post "downloading, will edit" People often don't come back and edit these posts so they end up being just useless spam!

Edited by grandhighgamer, 22 December 2007 - 12:54 PM.

GHG WUZ ERE

#3 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

Very, very nice presentation. Gameplay-wise seems a bit simple and slow (but that may be my pc). I will play it for a longer time later today.

Can you tell me how many different enemies there are?

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#4 Tumetsu

Tumetsu

GMC Member

• 433 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

Nice game eventhought I can clearly see how your overall quality have little decreased because of the time limit. However I liked it, eventhought it could use some improvements but if I remember right, you said that you might improve it after competition.
Game haves nice music and graphics and good gameplay. However there is something which I would want to see, but I can't get it to my mind now. :unsure:

If I must give values, I give this 8½/10 and in YYG rating 4/6. Can't we give ½s in there anyway...? Not your best games, but pretty entertaining I think. :unsure:
That's my honest thoughts with this game. Good luck for competition.

Edited by Fire Dragon, 22 December 2007 - 02:09 PM.

Posted Image

#5 ravener

ravener

SG menace

• 965 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

AWSOME GAME!!!!!!
Im back :o

#6 difficultman

difficultman

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

It's very nice. Great effects and music.

#7 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

I wrote a review :unsure: Anyway, yeah so the second boss.. without knowing your bounding box.. is really annoying xD. Background was the same as first level but was (OMG) red instead of blue >_>. I give it a 5/6. And I never found out what happens if my happy bars reach the end. Ah well. Good luck Fred and may your game win something :unsure:

#8 erty906

erty906

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

Please, at least put some effort in your games.

1/10.

#9 Da Bee

Da Bee

GMC Member

• 388 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

It's OK. Gameplay wise, it has loads of potential, like extra powerups and such. It was a bit too hard for me (those orbs should disappear or be able to be destroyed after a while). The graphics and music were superb though, kudos on them. And I just hope you continue to add to this after the competition.

7/10 - Great skeleton to work on in general.

Posted Image

Tower Defense meets RTS

#10 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Incredible graphics!

But it doesnt seem like winter to me.

Edited by Revel, 22 December 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#11 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

Graphics were awesome! I like the tree idea, and the glowing objects made it look nice, but the gameplay wasn't all too good in my opinion.

Good, but could be much better and fun.

#12 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

edit: sorry for dupe post

Edited by Alert Games, 22 December 2007 - 05:15 PM.

#13 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:48 PM

great effects, you should release those...the graphics were good, besides the character...they could have been better, and then gameplay....ahh the gameplay.
I was very disappointed with the gameplay.
usually your games are full of fun and excitement...this was fun for the first few seconds.
3/10 (a good majority going towards graphics)

poof_sig.png

#14 Ds

Ds

DrumStick

• 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

I think that this type of game just isnt going to appeal to everyone, but the game is a pretty high quality package. If you dont think the gameplay is good, it might just be that this kind of game isnt really your thing. Some people are gonna love it some people are gonna hate it, not much anyone can do about it.

#15 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Ah, glad to see people have at least given it a try, since it's (admittedly) quite a deviation from my normal type of game.

Very, very nice presentation. Gameplay-wise seems a bit simple and slow (but that may be my pc). I will play it for a longer time later today.

Can you tell me how many different enemies there are?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks... the first level is indeed a little slower than the others, for the sake of not just throwing the player directly into the fray. It also might be that your computer doesn't run it full speed, since I really didn't have time to test it on many other computers than my own. Hopefully it runs full speed most of the time though.

As far as enemy count goes, there are 5-6 different base enemies (I change their behavior in my "spawning object" though, so they almost all act differently each time they spawn. There are also 3 sub-bosses, and then one final boss. Overall, not a huge game, but then, I didn't really have enough time to make much else.

Nice game eventhought I can clearly see how your overall quality have little decreased because of the time limit. However I liked it, eventhought it could use some improvements but if I remember right, you said that you might improve it after competition.
Game haves nice music and graphics and good gameplay. However there is something which I would want to see, but I can't get it to my mind now.  :angry:

If I must give values, I give this 8½/10 and in YYG rating 4/6. Can't we give ½s in there anyway...? Not your best games, but pretty entertaining I think.  :GM7:
That's my honest thoughts with this game. Good luck for competition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For having a total development time topping out a little under 2 weeks, I'd say it came out alright. I agree though, there are many areas for improvement, and who knows - maybe I'll develop the game a little further later on. ::lmao::

AWSOME GAME!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's very nice.  Great effects and music.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! :P

I wrote a review :angry: Anyway, yeah so the second boss.. without knowing your bounding box.. is really annoying xD. Background was the same as first level but was (OMG) red instead of blue >_>. I give it a 5/6. And I never found out what happens if my happy bars reach the end. Ah well. Good luck Fred and may your game win something :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, yeah... the second boss is a bit harder than I remember him being when I first programmed him, but once you get used to the small hitbox, you should be able to avoid the streams of bullets no problem. My advice - when he's in his second phase, choose a column of the stream to the left of where the boss is at, and go down that, shooting the whole time. By the time you work your way over to the right by following the spiral, you'll have landed some pretty good shots on the boss, and you can magnetize the powerups from his protectors as he moves away.

And by the way - the background gradually changes color throughout the entire game. :(

It's OK. Gameplay wise, it has loads of potential, like extra powerups and such. It was a bit too hard for me (those orbs should disappear or be able to be destroyed after a while). The graphics and music were superb though, kudos on them. And I just hope you continue to add to this after the competition.

7/10 - Great skeleton to work on in general.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, yeah this game may be hard for people who are not used to / into this type of game. The point of the bullets is to create a curtain that you have to navigate through or around, so making them disappear after a while would make the game artificially easier, and would be frustrating, because with so many bullets on the screen, predicting when and where they will disappear would be a nightmare. Thanks for the compliments though!

Incredible graphics!

But it doesnt seem like winter to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you're playing as winter! :( The competition is to create a game utilizing the theme of winter in some way - that doesn't mean it has to make you feel like the game takes place during winter though. And in fact, this game should not make you feel like that, because you are fighting to make winter start in the first place! :angry:

Edited by FredFredrickson, 22 December 2007 - 06:43 PM.

#16 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

MMm! Great work, especially for just a one week effort. It's not my preference of genre, but I still enjoyed it more than most vertical shoot em ups.

A few things though. SuperSound crashes the game, rather than closing properly, at game end. I'm pretty sure you've used TARC before, I suggest using it again as the game crashed for me, and SS is known to cause this.

Apart from that, I didn't really enjoy the sounds that much. The music was composed well, but it doesn't really feel fitting for this game. In shoot em ups I always kind of expect and feel better with electronic music, but that's personal preference. If I remember correctly though, sounds like collecting a powerup seemed like a single piano note, which I didn't really like.

Hot parts are of course the graphics, especially the backgrounds are very creative and all sprites are high quality. I like how you created a glow for each object, I very much advocate this 'technique' cause in some game situations it makes making out objects alot easier and better looking too, so that's cool.

Gameplay was so-so, definately enjoyable, but it's not a game I'll be playing for weeks. The shooting n all worked well, but there's something missing, I can't say what though... Collecting powerups in the first level took quite a long time, and when you got it you seemingly could infinitely use it. I'm assuming this changes later on in the game, but I didn't feel it was particularly useful either, bullets were overlapped by the effect making you more vulnerable as it was harder to see things coming, while you couldn't defend yourself from incoming enemies in the recharge period, and then it 1-hits the enemies pretty much like your regular gun can too. It was too dangerous often to use it on the bosses.

Either way, very nice quality and I definatly applaud the accomplishment in just one week. Great work.

#17 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Graphics were awesome! I like the tree idea, and the glowing objects made it look nice, but the gameplay wasn't all too good in my opinion.

Good, but could be much better and fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! The tree idea was based on the backgrounds from Imperishable Night, which served as an inspiration for this game. If you haven't played that, you ought to - you might come off enjoying the genre more (I did).

I don't expect everyone here to fall in love with the gameplay... it's an acquired taste, for sure.

great effects, you should release those...the graphics were good, besides the character...they could have been better, and then gameplay....ahh the gameplay.
I was very disappointed with the gameplay.
usually your games are full of fun and excitement...this was fun for the first few seconds.
3/10 (a good majority going towards graphics)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comments, and like I said above, not everyone is going to like the gameplay... but I appreciate that you gave it a try, and I hope that everyone else does the same. :GM7:

I think that this type of game just isnt going to appeal to everyone, but the game is a pretty high quality package. If you dont think the gameplay is good, it might just be that this kind of game isnt really your thing. Some people are gonna love it some people are gonna hate it, not much anyone can do about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, thanks Ds. For those of you who didn't know, Ds is the guy who made the music for this game, and he did a fantastic job!

#18 tristiano77

tristiano77

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

really nice atmosphere. i disagree with most and think it totally gave a winter feel. you probably wont but maybe if i ask realllly nice youll give me the code you used for the fire in the menu....

edit: damn that game is hard! i hate it when the fying things let of like 5000 of those instant kill balls... and the first boss was physically impossible! lol.

Edited by tristiano77, 22 December 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#19 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

Why doesn't powering up change the appearance of my shot?
Really it's always you with the same shot, fighting the same looking enemies until you reach a boss which also always looks the same.
You keep flying over the same background and keep listening to the same 2 tunes.
The enemies also always act similar, they come in quickly, shoot their stuff and are gone.
How boring is that?

This game looks pretty and all but it needs more variation!
And I don't mean the kind of variation you get by just changing some variables.

#20 SNWrestler

SNWrestler

GMC Member

• 290 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Sorry but after playing a game like hovertank, you could really do better

#21 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Nice game. Like all your games, the presentation is amazing. I don't know how you manage to get your games to be so professional looking.

I really like shoot-em-ups so I thought the gameplay was good. I think the player should have been shorter, it was kind of hard and awkward to fit it through some tough spaces because it was so tall. Overall though, I thought it was a good game.

Good game, good luck in the competition! And keep making great games.

Edited by SuperCasey4, 23 December 2007 - 04:50 AM.

#22 tristiano77

tristiano77

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

wo0t.

#23 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How? Just saying "Eh. Your other game was better." is unhelpful and a bit ignorant. Especially when this was done for a 45 day deadline, Hovertank was done without deadlines.

Edited by grandhighgamer, 22 December 2007 - 08:59 PM.

GHG WUZ ERE

#24 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How? Just saying "Eh. Your other game was better." is unhelpful and a bit ignorant. Especially when this was done for a 45 day deadline, Hovertank was done without deadlines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HT3D took me like 8 months to make, hehe. :GM7:

Why doesn't powering up change the appearance of my shot?
Really it's always you with the same shot, fighting the same looking enemies until you reach a boss which also always looks the same.
You keep flying over the same background and keep listening to the same 2 tunes.
The enemies also always act similar, they come in quickly, shoot their stuff and are gone.
How boring is that?

This game looks pretty and all but it needs more variation!
And I don't mean the kind of variation you get by just changing some variables.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fully agree... however, I only had about 2 weeks to work on this, and in those two weeks, I had to continue going to work at my job (full time, with a 2+ hour commute each day), spend time with my girlfriend, go Christmas shopping, etc, etc... so maybe in the future, but for now, it is what it is.

I'm not trying to make up excuses for the game's faults, and I don't deny that they are there, but a month and a half is not a very long time to develop a quality game from the ground up.

Edited by FredFredrickson, 22 December 2007 - 10:03 PM.

#25 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Please, at least put some effort in your games.

1/10.

****head. Have you even seen Fred's other games?

Im downloading now, will edit (And yes, i will edit, this is NOT spam)

EDIT
Um...It says 'Get Ready', and then in about 2 seconds it says my score was 0, and the game restarts...What do I do? I tried shooting and holding x...I used the arrow keys to move around but still nothing happened.

Scotty

Edited by hotshotscott, 23 December 2007 - 02:05 AM.

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image

#26 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

I'm pretty much feeling the same way as 9_6 (whom I'm glad to see that you are agreeing with), except I thought the game was pretty fun to boot. Well, at least it made me feel like I had pretty decent skills. Those who rated it below 5/10 are probably just jealous because you did better than their entries.

It's a pretty nice game overall, definitely better than my first shoot 'em up. It would've been nice to see what would have come of it if you had made it a full time project :GM7:

It would also be very interesting to see you try to tackle something more "innovative" sometime. I've seen your portfolio, and some of the artwork you have (which I really liked, btw) seems a lot more personal than your usual stuff and with more emphasis on artistic expression rather than mainstream appeal or slickness. That coupled with a somewhat unique and fun game idea could be the recipe for great things, perhaps? I know you've got the skills to make it, dunno about the will, though ::lmao::

@Scotty: Play the game directly from yoyo's website. The download did the same for me...

#27 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

This is quite good. Some of the graphics seem out of place, though (Of course, this was done in a week). I found the bugs to be a little cartoony, as opposed to the beautiful tree backgrounds. Also, the main character stood out a bit as well, as she was very outline-oriented.

The music was excellent, and the game was fun and addicting to play.

~ Theta Games

#28 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

For some reason, I can't kill anything or even get hurt.

#29 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

I played till I beat the first boss. I'm still not sure whether it's my pc or not, but the game seems to run in slow motion to me. I know bullet hell is supposed to be slow but this is too slow for me. Other games run just fine...

Anyway, I'm a bit dissapointed. When you look at the terms of the competition you did a very bad job. Originality? It's a pretty standard SHMUP. Creativity? Same. Gameplay? Same. Aesthetics? Outstanding. How well did you implement the theme of the competition in your game? Well, you did in the graphics and the story, but that's it. I mean, if you could actually freeze enemies so you could then blast them to bits you would have implemented the winter element into your gameplay, but there's none of that stuff (correct me if I'm wrong, I did only play till just after the first boss). That's mainly why I'm a bit dissapointed.

Anyway, I don't want to be too negative, esspecially considering I may come off as someone who just wants to say another game is bad because it's the competition...
If the game were to run twice as fast I would have enjoyed it twice as much. If I get the chance anytime soon I will try it on a faster PC.

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#30 SNWrestler

SNWrestler

GMC Member

• 290 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Instead of kissing Fred's ass because he is the mighty moderator, look at what you really have. A really dressed up shooter. It also runs slow as hell. Back to Johnny for me.

#31 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

My comments has nothing todo with Fred being a forum moderator.
If you'd originally said you thought it was too slow then that's a valid critism. Just saying a game sucks doesn't help the creator improve at all.

GHG WUZ ERE

#32 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Doesn't run slow for me :blink: shmups really aren't what I die to play though >_>

#33 C-Ator9

C-Ator9

GMC Member

• 147 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

One of the best entries of the competition in my opinion. :blink:

There are a few things which I don't get though:
'Sun sun der'? What do you mean?
Why are the enemies bugs?

But that doesn't really matter. I've played this game till the first boss, and I enjoyed it.

#34 draugaer

draugaer

GMC Member

• 100 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

It was a rather enjoyable game. Though as others have said its a bit repeditive in its gameplay. Some different attack/upgrades would have been nice especially.

The fact that there is only one graphic for enemies (aside from bosses) didn't bother me much since they have quite different attack patterns, and I thought those were done really well. -and in these types of games that really makes the gameplay in my opinion.

#35 Ds

Ds

DrumStick

• 138 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Yeah I felt the game did well representing its genre, and I think that given the amount of development time you can overlook some of the things that would have made it better, like powerups or more enemies. Simply because Im sure had Fred had more time we would have seen the game much more developed.

#36 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Well thanks for the compliments everyone - I am glad most of you enjoyed the game. Like I said above, I tried to cram as much as I could into the game under the time limits (both by the competition, and by the busy holiday season).

One of the best entries of the competition in my opinion. :)

There are a few things which I don't get though:
'Sun sun der'? What do you mean?
Why are the enemies bugs?

But that doesn't really matter. I've played this game till the first boss, and I enjoyed it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The name "Sun Sun Der" is actually just a silly thing I came up with. Since you're battling summer, AKA the sun, I thought the title "Sun Sunder" would be good... then I created the logo, and noticed that the title could be separated into 3 parts of 3 letters, so I tried it, and liked it. I suppose you could chalk the whole think up to the artist in me (and the insane impulses that that entails). :)

The enemies are bugs because I associate the summer with various kinds of insects, and for the fact that bugs are easy to dislike and kill simply for the fact that they are bugs. I also liked the way their black shapes looked against the glow effect.

I'm pretty much feeling the same way as 9_6 (whom I'm glad to see that you are agreeing with), except I thought the game was pretty fun to boot. Well, at least it made me feel like I had pretty decent skills. Those who rated it below 5/10 are probably just jealous because you did better than their entries.

It's a pretty nice game overall, definitely better than my first shoot 'em up. It would've been nice to see what would have come of it if you had made it a full time project :medieval:

It would also be very interesting to see you try to tackle something more "innovative" sometime. I've seen your portfolio, and some of the artwork you have (which I really liked, btw) seems a lot more personal than your usual stuff and with more emphasis on artistic expression rather than mainstream appeal or slickness. That coupled with a somewhat unique and fun game idea could be the recipe for great things, perhaps? I know you've got the skills to make it, dunno about the will, though :medieval:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Cactus, I kind of wonder how the game might have faired had it not been under the crunch of the contest deadline myself. There are still a few things I'd like to clean up though, so I'll probably put out a new version of the game soon.

I'm not so sure that there is a lack of will on my part, so much as a lack of time. I've got a big backlog of ideas for games that I'd like to roll out eventually, but the lack of time really gets to me sometimes, and keeps me from taking on projects that are too ambitious, or which stray too far from the path. I am working on better managing my free time though, so hopefully... I'll have time to get to work on something grander soon. :medieval:

I played till I beat the first boss. I'm still not sure whether it's my pc or not, but the game seems to run in slow motion to me. I know bullet hell is supposed to be slow but this is too slow for me. Other games run just fine...

Anyway, I'm a bit dissapointed. When you look at the terms of the competition you did a very bad job. Originality? It's a pretty standard SHMUP. Creativity? Same. Gameplay? Same. Aesthetics? Outstanding. How well did you implement the theme of the competition in your game? Well, you did in the graphics and the story, but that's it. I mean, if you could actually freeze enemies so you could then blast them to bits you would have implemented the winter element into your gameplay, but there's none of that stuff (correct me if I'm wrong, I did only play till just after the first boss). That's mainly why I'm a bit dissapointed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the game looks like it's running anywhere slower than 60 fps, than you should try it on a different (newer?) machine. It sounds to me like this may be the case, as nobody else has really complained about the speed of the game, to my knowledge. There is quite a lot going on as far as object / particle count goes though, so I probably wouldn't be all that surprised if some computers can't handle it well.

As for your disappointment, I am sorry you feel that way. I felt that graphics and story would be enough utilization of the theme, and since there are no rules as to how much or little one must implement the theme, I think this works. The game was developed entirely for this competition though, aside from one or two particle effects, which I ripped from an abandoned project. Not to sound self-absorbed, but I thought that the theme was cleverly implemented... or at least, more so than making a snowball fight FPS, or something like that. In the end, I'd rather see the theme be used uniquely and with a slight touch than forced and clichéd.

Anyway, thanks again to all who have supported this game over the holidays - and good luck to everyone else who entered the competition. :medieval:

#37 Schreib

Schreib

Valen Shadowbreath

• GMC Member
  • 1458 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

This is like many other games of yours, Fred... quite beautiful, nice introduction, nice graphics and music... but a boring and repetetive gameplay. Sorry.
~ Tiefling | DeviantART gallery See my spacescapes!
GM Obfuscator | Protect your games from prying eyes. Get it now!
Motto: Noli turbare axiomates meos!

#38 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

This is like many other  games of yours, Fred... quite beautiful, nice introduction, nice graphics and music... but a boring and repetetive gameplay. Sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I don't quite understand how this game could be viewed that way. Each level is composed of a unique boss, and enemies that have completely unique movement from level to level - most of which fire differently depending on the circumstances of the game. Even if the enemies and bosses were totally repetitive, at 4 levels, the game isn't even long enough that it should be a problem.

Really though, what am I supposed to do, make each level a completely different game? It's a shooter, and as such, operates under certain confines of the genre.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate the compliments on the graphics and sound... I do. But I get the feeling that some of you are writing off my work as "boring" or "repetitive" just because the game wasn't absolutely perfect. I think there is some area in between fun and boring that this game lands in, to greater or lesser degree depending on your preference towards the genre.

Either way, I know it's not completely boring though - and I don't appreciate such shallow remarks about this work, or anything else I've made, especially without any rhyme or reason of why you might think that. I am absolutely open to criticism, as long as it's fair and you've given me the courtesy of an explanation.

#39 CaKsTeR

CaKsTeR

GMC Member

• 761 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

Not to mention that you said nothing about how or why it is repertitive. Good game btw, just wish it would explain controls in menu. Then again, you may have updated it.

#40 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Looks like a nice game, but straight after I see the "GET READY!" screen, the player will spawn then I get the "CONGRATULATIONS Final Score 0" and then the credits roll, I have tried many times and don't push any keys but this happens every time I try and play.

Is this a bug??

#41 sketti

sketti

~pixel artist~

• 482 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

Um... as soon as i start it says:

GET READY!

then.. after 2 seconds it says:

Congradulations!
-Final score 0-

#42 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:37 AM

Looks like a nice game, but straight after I see the "GET READY!" screen, the player will spawn then I get the "CONGRATULATIONS Final Score 0" and then the credits roll, I have tried many times and don't push any keys but this happens every time I try and play.

Is this a bug??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um... as soon as i start it says:

GET READY!

then.. after 2 seconds it says:

Congradulations!
-Final score 0-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The version on YYG shouldn't do that... were either of you playing that version?

#43 tristiano77

tristiano77

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:45 AM

i think it could have been greatly improved by having more than one enemies. one for each level would be really cool. i know this was done in a rush but that would have made it an 11/10 for me. just my 2 cents. i beat that game in about 15 minutes tho, im just that good :)

#44 x-death

x-death

Flash Developer

• GMC Member
  • 3402 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

this is awesome, great graphics!!!
If your interested in having a flash website programmed for you at a cheap price. you can message me!

Resources: My Pack
My Galleries: Deviant Art, Pixel Joint
Examples: Pausing System, External Loading
Guides: Pixel Art, Creating Games, Reviewing Games
Games: A.C.W, Thunder God, Ip Utility, Rocketive

#45 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

The version on YYG shouldn't do that...  were either of you playing that version?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I wasn't.

#46 sketti

sketti

~pixel artist~

• 482 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Lol, I was playing that version

#47 DLEntertainment

DLEntertainment

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

Graphics were okay. 3/10
Sound effects were good. 5/10
Music was half decent. 3/10
Game play was too simple and boring. 2/10

Overall, you could have done much better seeing your previous work. 3/10

Edited by DLEntertainment, 31 December 2007 - 06:08 AM.

#48 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:35 AM

Graphics were okay. 3/10
Sound effects were good. 5/10
Music was half decent. 3/10
Game play was too simple and boring. 2/10

Overall, you could have done much better seeing your previous work. 3/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow... the competition gave me a month to work in. I don't think it turned out that bad, especially considering the time constraints.

On a side, I really hate the way this competition has brought out the absolute worst in people. Never have I received so many petty comments about how terrible my work is, when it really ain't that bad for what it is, and what it sets out to be.

It's a small game, made in a small amount of time. Get over it.

#49 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

i still love you fred. this is what happens when a free man is given a constraint.

this is also what happens when most of the people who play your game happen to be competitors. ahem, un-sportsmanlike competitors. that's the main reason i didn't even think of editing the competition, receiving a 0 because of other peoples un-sportsmanship happens enough in physical education, thank you very much.
Click to visit Toydaker.com
For Sale: 3 Editables, 40 dollars (demo on site above). Click to purchase.

#50 Ds

Ds

DrumStick

• 138 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

"Music was half decent. 3/10"

The music is better then anything you could dream of creating, better yet, the music 99% better then the music in any of the games here. Oh my music was half decent? Let me guess your games have have some final fantasy theme mixed with some song from sonic right? Yeah thought so. Next time you want to talk to me about music, you had better know a bit about it.

Oh, and most importantly, you said half decent, so you could at least have went 5/10.