#1 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:21 AM

Arctic Avenger
By SuperCasey4

Description:

Arctic Avenger is my entree into the YoYoGames Winter Competition. It is a shoot-em-up with a unique, wintery twist. You play as a ship equipped with an ice beam that can freeze enemies. You also have a tractor beam that can throw enemies into other enemies or walls. The object of the game is to create combos that build up your multiplier by throwing enemies into each other, and to collect the energy that they drop to replinish your own energy. There is a full tutorial in the game that I recomend you play first, which covers everything you need to know.

Download: Here

Screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy! And if you like it, please rate it on YoYoGames.

Edited by SuperCasey4, 13 January 2008 - 10:26 PM.

#2 LimmingKenny

LimmingKenny

GMC Member

• 422 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:09 AM

Heres a review:

Graphics: 10/10
Sounds: 8/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 0/0

Overall: 9/10

Pros:
It had very nice graphics, no lag, and was fun once I figured it out.

Cons:
When the tutorial was over, I didn't know how to get back to the menu so I had to exit and replay the game. That might have been an error on my part, I don't know.
Also the tract thing was kind of hard for me to understand. I thought It would be visible. Once I figured out how to use it I enjoyed the game a lot more.
Edit: I don't like it when the enemies spawn on you.

Bug:
When I got a game over, there were some energy things that were still there. When I played again, they were still there and were stuck in that place and didn't go away.

I really enjoyed this game. Keep up the good work!

Edited by LimmingKenny, 21 December 2007 - 04:13 AM.

#3 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:32 AM

@LimmingKenny: Thanks for playing! I'm glad you liked it. Are you sure you got to the end of the tutorial, because I'm not having any problems with it, but I'll keep testing and see if I can find it. About the tractor beam, I tried making it look several different ways and after a lot of testing I decided that it looked better just not having any effect for the tractor beam.

Thanks for anyone who played it (not many). I really wish people would at least give it a try.

#4 LimmingKenny

LimmingKenny

GMC Member

• 422 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

The tutorial works, I tried it again and there was no problem.
That was my fault.

#5 celebraces

celebraces

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out the tractor beam, but once I'd figured it out I played it for a good hour and a half (which is a fair bit for me and a GM game lol).

Nice eye candy, good game-play and kinda addictive. I like the lightning effect :P.

#6 CoderBlue

CoderBlue

GMC Member

• 668 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

this is a cool idea, i felt the ships are a *tad* too big, but i generally loved it

please make WSAD support too :P

#7 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out the tractor beam, but once I'd figured it out I played it for a good hour and a half (which is a fair bit for me and a GM game lol).

Nice eye candy, good game-play and kinda addictive. I like the lightning effect :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you liked it, and I had a feeling you would like the lightning effect :medieval: . I knew that the tractor beam part would be hard for people to get the hang of but I made it as user friendly as I could, it just takes practice. I'm afraid that most people won't give it enough time to really figure it out.

this is a cool idea, i felt the ships are a *tad* too big, but i generally loved it

please make WSAD support too :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! The ships are large so that they are easier to grab onto and throw. At the beginning, I had smaller ships but it was kind of difficult to throw them so I made them bigger.

Thanks again to everyone who's played it!

#8 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys, I've been working on the tractor beam thing a bit because thats what I'v been getting a few complaints about. I thought I had made it pretty easy to use but I guess I was just good at it from all the testing. If you have any trouble getting used to it, could you post how exactly you think it could be improved? Thanks a lot everyone.

#9 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Well how about this, if you viewed this topic and didn't play my game, could you please tell me why? That way I'll know what to do differently for my next game. Are the screenshots unappealing? Is there not enough information? Does the title turn you away?

I'm getting somewhat close to finishing a new game so I would really like to know how I can make it more accessable and attractive to people. Thanks

#10 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

dude this game is awesome, love the music, love the idea, love the gameplay. it gets a littel reppetetive though. and i would lvoe to see this as a full blown shmup with bosses and maybe even a verses mode.

9/10!
There is nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as it's true.

hello i make tyops becasue im lazy and i hate you anyways.

#11 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:34 AM

you might want to get a new host....the 55kb maximum limit of yoyo just makes the download intermidable

wasnt terribly fun...i cant stand games that are timeline based....but it was alright...some of the physics where way off and it can improve alot

6/10

Edited by DarkFlame, 14 January 2008 - 05:45 AM.

#12 piedude04

piedude04

GMC Member

• 330 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

graphics - 9/10 - the graphics are simple but it really blends in with the actual style of the game. the effects are also outstanding. i only subtracted a point because i noticed a depth error in the tutorial...kinda harsh of me, isnt it? =P

sounds - 9/10 - the sounds were also simple, and they mostly sounded the same to me, but they also go with the simplicity of the game and add an 'arcadey' feeling to the game

gameplay - 6/10 - the idea behind this game is very original but i feel like the gameplay was way too simple for a game like this. the ai always followed you around like zombies and sometimes spawned right on top of you (as lemmingkenny said). gameplay was very repetitive and although if you are really trying to gain a uber-1337 highscore or pass the time, this game isnt as addictive as it looks. maybe if you made the artificial intelligence a little bit more intelligent (such as instead of bumping into each other you could try making them go around each other [in my games i use mp_potential_step]) i probably wouldve given i higher rating. other than what i said though, i reckon the game is otherwise un-improvable, which currently keeps me from deleting this game from my harddrive and will probably tell me to play it once in a while ; )

overall - 8/10
i believe if you were going to make another game like this, i would definitely try to download it. apart from a few annoying things in the game (like learning how to play it took me abit of time =P) this game is actually pretty good.

btw...did you get the name 'arctic avenger' from counterstrike? coz its the name of one of the terrorist models...

Edited by piedude04, 14 January 2008 - 06:29 AM.

#13 SuperCasey4

SuperCasey4

I'm ignoring you...

• 312 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

you might want to get a new host....the 55kb maximum limit of yoyo just makes the download intermidable

wasnt terribly fun...i cant stand games that are timeline based....but it was alright...some of the physics where way off and it can improve alot

6/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for giving it a try, even though you didn't really like it. There actually aren't any timelines in the game unless you mean the bar at the bottom of the screen. And yes the collision physics aren't realistic, that would ruin the gameplay and make the game not fun to play.

graphics - 9/10 - the graphics are simple but it really blends in with the actual style of the game. the effects are also outstanding. i only subtracted a point because i noticed a depth error in the tutorial...kinda harsh of me, isnt it? =P

sounds - 9/10 - the sounds were also simple, and they mostly sounded the same to me, but they also go with the simplicity of the game and add an 'arcadey' feeling to the game

gameplay - 6/10 - the idea behind this game is very original but i feel like the gameplay was way too simple for a game like this. the ai always followed you around like zombies and sometimes spawned right on top of you (as lemmingkenny said). gameplay was very repetitive and although if you are really trying to gain a uber-1337 highscore or pass the time, this game isnt as addictive as it looks. maybe if you made the artificial intelligence a little bit more intelligent (such as instead of bumping into each other you could try making them go around each other [in my games i use mp_potential_step]) i probably wouldve given i higher rating. other than what i said though, i reckon the game is otherwise un-improvable, which currently keeps me from deleting this game from my harddrive and will probably tell me to play it once in a while ; )

overall - 8/10
i believe if you were going to make another game like this, i would definitely try to download it. apart from a few annoying things in the game (like learning how to play it took me abit of time =P) this game is actually pretty good.

btw...did you get the name 'arctic avenger' from counterstrike? coz its the name of one of the terrorist models...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. I would have liked to add some more enemies and add more depth to the game, but I just didn't have time to with the deadline. There is a chance I could make a sequel, but probably not anytime soon.