Replies to topics in this forum are held to a high standard. Reviews must have a critique or suggestion for use to be approved. Read the rules here.
Title: Level_System_Tutorial version 1.2
Size: .94 KB
File Type: .gmk
Version: Made for GM 7 but includes instructions for GM 6 up
Overview: VERSION 1.2 HAS FINALLY ARRIVED! This level system tutorial shows you how to use global variables to make a leveling system for RPG's, or for other games that leveling could be useful in. Please read the complete list of things you will learn as well as the updates in the list below!
Direct Link: http://host-a.net/js...torial_v1_2.gmk
The tutorial is typed in the games information screen. (F1 in game)
Updates in v1.1:
1) Higher goals; you will now need to reach 100 exp to move to the next level.
2) Status bars; you will learn how to draw variables on screen, as well as show thier status using GM's built in healthbars.
3) More GML; v1.0 featured mostly GML, but drawing the variables in Drag and Drop; We will now code everything.
4) Health and an enemy; Hey... Why not? What's a game without being able to die?
5) New HUD; Create a new, nicer hud to place variable information and status bars.
6) Improved 8 directional movement; you'll see... it's better for sure!
7) Rolling over EXP; In v1.0, if you gained over the current exp goal to level up, you would lose that extra exp that was over the goal. That is now corrected in v1.1. If the exp goal is 100 and you have 75 exp at level one and gain 50 more, you will move up to level 2 and that extra 25 exp past 100 you just gained WILL be added to your level 2 exp.
Updates in v1.2:
1) All values are now relatively added to their designated variables making coding this a lot easier, shorter, and more accurate, also opening the possibilities of more more levels if you the user chooses to add them...
2) I introduced a skill level to the player which is inaccessible until level 5 is reached, but once it is accessible, the player can launch an attack on his enemy objects
3) There is now an attack system for the player which will in turn, update the players skill level (also inaccessible until level 5 is reached)
4) There is now a defense system for the player which changes the amount of damage the player may receive based off of its value (also inaccessible until level 5 is reached)
5) As the player levels up, he now receives an updated sprite (every 5 levels)
6) Per request, I have once again re-typed this entire example. This took me the good part of a day to do, but it is extremely thorough. THIS EXAMPLE IS THOROUGHLY EXPLAINED, FROM EVERY ACTION, TO A DEFINITION FOR EVERY SINGLE EXPRESSION AND STATEMENT USED IN ALL OF THE CODES
7/1/2009 - LOL... thought I'd see if this was still out there in GMC land. Between this version and the first, we're over 4000 dowloads! BUT, for this guy, 3500 and counting! I'm lazy and will not be updating this anymore. Enjoy and if the link is dead, PM me and I would be glad to re-host it!
jsmithlmsl // Joshua Smith
Edited by jsmithLMSL, 01 July 2009 - 10:17 PM.