Photo

D-a-n-c-e V1.0b - Ddr Game Made With Gm!

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

D-A-N-C-E

Info:
D-A-N-C-E is a DDR-like game created in GM. Unlike other DDR games, D-A-N-C-E generates arrows from your music, so you can load any song into it!

Screenshot:
Posted Image

How to play:
Arrows will scroll up from the bottom of the screen. When they overlap with the arrows on the top, press the key on your keyboard that relates to that arrow (left, up, down and right).

Download:
-Caution! this game contains flashing lights and may be unsuitable for people who suffer from Epilepsy, later versions of
D-A-N-C-E will include the option to turn these off. -

Mirror 1
Mirror 2 (Wait 30 seconds) -- OLD VERSION

Other:
Soon there should be some (legal) songs appearing on the Verision Forums (go to the Verision site and click on "Forum"). Some of them will be posted in this topic when they become available.

D-A-N-C-E is going to be constantly updated. If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to post them here;)

D-A-N-C-E REVENGE and R-O-C-K announced!
D-A-N-C-E REVENGE and R-O-C-K are Verision's newest projects, see Here for more info.

D.A.N.C.E REVENGE Latest News:
Here.

Thanks,
~Verision

Edited by nightmare, 04 September 2008 - 02:38 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#2 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

We have worked very hard on this, and would appreciate your comments :P

#3 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

this is a pretty awesome game, better than any other DDR-Type game on this site.
I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#4 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

0_o I didn't even know there were any other DDR games here. Anyway, thanks. I'm glad you think so :P

#5 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

This is a really kool game. One question, can I upload my own songs into this?

#6 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Yes. Choose single player, select your difficulty, then select "Load MP3". It works for things other than MP3s as well.

#7 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Yes. Choose single player, select your difficulty, then select "Load MP3". It works for things other than MP3s as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kool, I just did Crazy Frog ---Axel F... :P

Its not working anymore for me. It doesn't know what dname is.

#8 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

I'm aware of a problem with "Load MP3",

Sometimes the file does not get correctly written for some reason, and it will cause your song list to error... so if you encounter this, please delete the last song file that you made from the DANCE\Songs folder and try "Load MP3" again.

I'm fixing this in the new version, that kind of error doesn't happen often though.

I'm releasing an updated version in about an hour which will fix it permanently.

Edited by nightmare, 13 December 2007 - 08:26 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#9 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

NVM, I fixed. XD

Edited by Hoosierchristian, 13 December 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#10 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

I'm aware of a problem with "Load MP3",

Sometimes the file does not get correctly written for some reason, and it will cause your song list to error... so if you encounter this, please delete the last song file that you made from the DANCE\Songs folder and try "Load MP3" again.

I'm fixing this in the new version, that kind of error doesn't happen often though.

I'm releasing an updated version in about an hour which will fix it permanently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not what I mean. I try to pick the difficulty and its says:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object obj_select2:

Error in code at line 6:

displayname[count] = dname; 

at position 23: Unknown variable dname

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's the issue.

It seems to happen when there is an error reading the saved song file, I'm just fixing it.

Edit: I was wrong, but the error is now fixed... I'm just uploading the new version.

Edited by nightmare, 13 December 2007 - 08:37 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#11 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

Wow, that's very neat. Nicely done. :P

I would definately love to know how you did that. I've been trying to figure out for some time now how a beat game could be set up. If you ever get ambitious and feel like writing up a guide/tutorial/example, I'd be your biggest fan. ^_^
Granted it's probably way out of my current league anyway.

Nice job on it, though. :lol:

#12 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

Wow, that's very neat. Nicely done. :P

I would definately love to know how you did that. I've been trying to figure out for some time now how a beat game could be set up. If you ever get ambitious and feel like writing up a guide/tutorial/example, I'd be your biggest fan. :unsure:
Granted it's probably way out of my current league anyway.

Nice job on it, though. ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been thinking of making one in future, if I do... I'l let you know. :lol: Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by nightmare, 13 December 2007 - 08:42 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#13 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

I am still trying to figure out how you cordinate the arrows to the songs. My fingers are hurting, I just tried The Hamster Dance on Hardest. Its insane!!! Again, well done. I hope to see updates and new things coming to this game. Suggestion: Mini-games.

Edit: Is there a way to change the controls? It's hard doing the COMBO Up-Down with the arrow keys.

Edited by Hoosierchristian, 13 December 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#14 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

I've been thinking of making one in future, if I do... I'l let you know. :P Thanks for the feedback.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, if you do please let me know indeed. That'd be great. :lol:

#15 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

I am still trying to figure out how you cordinate the arrows to the songs.  My fingers are hurting, I just tried The Hamster Dance on Hardest.  Its insane!!!  Again, well done.  I hope to see updates and new things coming to this game.  Suggestion: Mini-games.

Edit: Is there a way to change the controls?  It's hard doing the COMBO Up-Down with the arrow keys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There isn't a way to change the controls yet sadly, but I will add that into Version 1.1 :P

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll think of some minigames to add into it :lol:

2nq6rnq.jpg

#16 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Can I post my songs on here for others to use? Please tell me, if I can I'll edit and put songs on here!

#17 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Can I post my songs on here for others to use?  Please tell me, if I can I'll edit and put songs on here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as they aren't infringing copyrights, then yeah.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#18 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

As long as they're not copyrighted by anyone, then yes.

#19 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

Can I post my songs on here for others to use?  Please tell me, if I can I'll edit and put songs on here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as they aren't infringing copyrights, then yeah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Darn!

Edited by Hoosierchristian, 13 December 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#20 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, but that's copyrighted.

Any song made by any professional artist(s) is copyrighted.

Edited by ad134, 13 December 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#21 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

If you want to upload some songs, you should get the music from legal sources like http://www.ocremix.org/

You could always get some music from Sellaband (Unsigned artists), they aren't copyrighted.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#22 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

D-A-N-C-E 1.0b is online :P

The erroring bug is fixed. If you find anymore, please don't hesitate to tell us.

#23 Hoosierchristian

Hoosierchristian

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

D-A-N-C-E 1.0b is online :)

The erroring bug is fixed. If you find anymore, please don't hesitate to tell us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I was hoping this was gonna come out soon! Thanks for fixing the error!

#24 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I'm not sure but I think the difficulty levels need tweaking...

The difference between "Beginner" and "Light" seems to be a lot smaller than the difference between "Standard" and "Heavy", I'm not a very good judge at this since I am quite good at the game from testing it...

Can somebody tell us if they agree?

2nq6rnq.jpg

#25 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Yeah. Leave Light how it is though.
Beginner isn't really for TRUE beginners. You need to change that.

Edited by ad134, 13 December 2007 - 10:25 PM.

#26 toadish

toadish

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

I like it alot(from trying to make one myself), I tried beginners(with the song it comes with) and got everyone of them, then Light(on welcome to the jungle) and felled, cause I missed two long ones which brang me down so much, I would think of reducing how much impact those long note(arrows w/e) have on the bar that lets you live(i guess that came out right)

from seeing the second side open, I was wondering, are you gonna go online, or same computer?
if you do same comp, will they have arrows(as in the image coming up) too, or letters(guessing you use wasd)?

#27 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

I like it alot(from trying to make one myself), I tried beginners(with the song it comes with) and got everyone of them, then Light(on welcome to the jungle) and felled, cause I missed two long ones which brang me down so much, I would think of reducing how much impact those long note(arrows w/e) have on the bar that lets you live(i guess that came out right)

from seeing the second side open, I was wondering, are you gonna go online, or same computer?
if you do same comp, will they have arrows(as in the image coming up) too, or letters(guessing you use wasd)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I've been planning to implement Network play and the WASD method also in future versions. (Version 1.1 in january in fact)

I would like to do Online, but there would likely be some sync problems with that due to lag.

And if both players have arrows or not will depend on the Skin that's being used, but both sides will have the same images.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by nightmare, 13 December 2007 - 10:43 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#28 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, we've been planning multiplayer for a while. It would have been in this version, but we had technical difficulties at one point.

#29 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Well, the aesthetics are ok, but the engine has some problems. A lot of the notes I hit were discredited or under credited. And honestly, were you high when you made the heavy steps? I mean in all due respect, a DDR game's steps are supposed to match the song. I understand that's a hard thing to do with a game that allows you to import songs, but that's a goal you should really try to get to. Maybe find a DLL that can do that?
All the best,
Brandon Evans

#30 top hunter7

top hunter7

GMC Member

• 1043 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Great game, I had an idea.

I think it would be a good idea to make it so you can let people make their own "strips", I know that's not the correct word for it, but I mean, if you could let them assign songs to particular "strips" that people make, it would make it more challenging, as the creator would make it goto the beat of the song from human perspective.

Just a thought.

~TH7

Posted Image

#31 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Well, the aesthetics are ok, but the engine has some problems. A lot of the notes I hit were discredited or under credited. And honestly, were you high when you made the heavy steps? I mean in all due respect, a DDR game's steps are supposed to match the song. I understand that's a hard thing to do with a game that allows you to import songs, but that's a goal you should really try to get to. Maybe find a DLL that can do that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are aware that some of the difficulty settings need to be tweaked, mainly Beginner and Heavy.

Yes, it is very hard to get the arrows exactly on time with an engine like this, but future versions of DANCE will have a "DANCEfile" option which will hold pre-set arrow data for those who want perfect timing with their songs.

Is that what you were talking about, Top Hunter?

Edited by nightmare, 13 December 2007 - 11:02 PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#32 top hunter7

top hunter7

GMC Member

• 1043 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

That's exactly what I mean, means songs can have fine tuning by humans, lol, can't wait for it, and Online version sounds absolutely amazing. :) ;) :P

Fallen in love with this game already.

10/10

~TH7

Posted Image

#33 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

That's exactly what I mean, means songs can have fine tuning by humans, lol, can't wait for it, and Online version sounds absolutely amazing.  :)  ;)  :P

Fallen in love with this game already.

10/10

~TH7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well we will soon be looking for Beta testers, If anybody wants to test the next version of DANCE when a Beta comes available, drop me a PM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#34 Hecore

Hecore

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

Overall it shows a ton of promise. However, there were a few significant issues that I think need to be fixed first.

A. It has trouble understanding songs that aren't very loud. Instead of learning the overall volume and assigning highs and lows to it, or attempting to boost the DB's, it just sits there.

B. Too many hold arrows, at least for rock music. They give too many points and drain/restore too much life.

C. The game doesn't remember where you grabbed your music from last time and defaults to the game folder.

D. If you go to load an MP3 in the menu, you can scroll down past Play.

E. If you hit Play without loading a song and press enter to get out of the error message the error message will come up again until you use the mouse to get out of it.

F. The timing isn't quite right for most songs that I loaded. Nearly silent background music and loud chords or vocals did alright, but it didn't really find a beat.

G. If you press a beat too late it seems to give no credit. Too early at least gives some.

H. Phantom notes occur for some reason, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Now on to minor issues:

A. The menu driven interface is, simply put, ugly. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

B. It should have mouse control work for menu selection.

C. It should attempt to recognize controllers natively. Yes, players can use third party programs to do this, but it's unprofessional.

D. It should have some fancy background images going on. It doesn't need to be too complicated - look at the Pop'n Music series.

E. If you press buttons during lulls in the music the game shouldn't Boo you.

F. The game should score you at the end of the level and assign a rank.

G. When it loads a song it'd be nice if it listed a difficulty based on the arrow presses.

H. Implimenting sound effects would be a good idea.

I. The intro music needs to loop.

J. The step in difficulty between light and standard needs to be lessened.

I realise this is still in early beta and at least some of the issues I've addressed will be taken care of. However, you asked for feedback... I hope this is what you were looking for.

#35 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

I realise this is still in early beta and at least some of the issues I've addressed will be taken care of. However, you asked for feedback... I hope this is what you were looking for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take all of that into account and fix. :)

2nq6rnq.jpg

#36 King Killa

King Killa

<-- ?Which Way? -->

• 572 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

Here's a mini review I decided I'd write for your game...

Overall, a good DDR clone (not excellent, not crap, but good :)). There are a few things which I think need fixing, but we'll see ;)

To me, the synchronization (spelling) seems off. Unless you deliberately made some of the beats syncopated for Frozen Fire, that is :P

Another thing that would make this more similar to DDR would be if the long "steps" actually disappeared inside of the arrow until the full "step" is done (I'm not sure whether what I just wrote is understandable or not, so...)...

It's a nice game, I hope to see it progress further!

- KK

#37 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

Here's a mini review I decided I'd write for your game...

Overall, a good DDR clone (not excellent, not crap, but good :)). There are a few things which I think need fixing, but we'll see :P

To me, the synchronization (spelling) seems off. Unless you deliberately made some of the beats syncopated for Frozen Fire, that is :D

Another thing that would make this more similar to DDR would be if the long "steps" actually disappeared inside of the arrow until the full "step" is done (I'm not sure whether what I just wrote is understandable or not, so...)...

It's a nice game, I hope to see it progress further!

- KK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understood it all, thanks ;)

I'll get to work on those too then thank you.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#38 King Killa

King Killa

<-- ?Which Way? -->

• 572 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:46 AM

No problem. Good luck with it all!

#39 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:02 AM

We enjoy your suggestions! Gives us more stuff to do :)

#40 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

Hmm not bad.

Edited by iluvfuz, 14 December 2007 - 01:10 AM.

#41 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

Hmm not bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, we worked on this for ages. I think it's a year now.

#42 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hmm not bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, we worked on this for ages. I think it's a year now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actaully, it's only half a year :)

2nq6rnq.jpg

#43 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:16 AM

Oh. Ah. Ummm....
I seem to be remembering wrong then.

#44 JamesW

JamesW

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:12 AM

You know, this is actually pretty sweet...

Now, ya'll need to make a Guitar Hero version...that would be sweet.

I vote 9/10.
D.A.N.C.E like there's no tomorrow!
Online Gaming Forums - Join Today!

#45 top hunter7

top hunter7

GMC Member

• 1043 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

Still love the game.

WARNING : Don't the the "This is Sparta REMIX" on it, you laugh far too much ! :)

Keep up the good work can't wait for it to go online.

~TH7

Posted Image

#46 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

Still love the game.

WARNING : Don't the the "This is Sparta REMIX" on it, you laugh far too much !  :)

Keep up the good work can't wait for it to go online.

~TH7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I might have already done that.

Now, ya'll need to make a Guitar Hero version...that would be sweet.

Before we start doing anything else, we need to make sure DANCE has enough features to satisfy everyone.

#47 Micksickles

Micksickles

GMC Member

• 292 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hi. I have a dance mat which plugs into a com-port, and acts like a joystick when plugged into the computer.

Would you consider adding support for such types of controllers?

Cleefy

#48 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hi. I have a dance mat which plugs into a com-port, and acts like a joystick when plugged into the computer.

Would you consider adding support for such types of controllers?

Cleefy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm working on it. :ph34r:

2nq6rnq.jpg

#49 Ichiroku

Ichiroku

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

this layout kinda reminds me to an other game not made with game maker... well, nice game after all. i like it, hope youll get more updates for it.

#50 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

DANCE is going to have constant updates. We don't want to disappoint you players, do we?