Something Rotten In The State Of Mashable...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_YoYoJim_*

Guest_YoYoJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

Hi Peeps,

I've had a frustrating day.

Mashable announced the nominees for the Open Web Awards today. We were feeling pretty confident as, thanks to your support, we had a pretty respectable 25% of the nominations by my count.

You can see where this is going, despite our handsome share of the nominations, and all your help, we weren't one of the ten nominated. I posted on Mashable asking why, and they've all but accused us of fiddling the vote. Which of course we didn't do, frankly with the support of this community behind us it would have been pointless. I'm still not sure what the truth is, whether it was a honest misunderstanding or something more sinister - hopefully all will become clear.

Anyway, just letting you all know, as promised, where we stand in the Open Web Awards. For now it doesn't look great.

Still, onwards and upwards.

If you as angry as I am (unlikely :P ), you can share it with the world, the story has already been submitted to DIGG.

-Jim out

#2 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

That's terrible. I really hope no one actually nominated twice. You know, what if someone has a sibling who likes the site? I've constantly tried to get my sister into GM as well, and I assume some other people have too. They'd share the same IP, that doesn't mean they are the same person!

Edited by BrandMan211, 13 December 2007 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Waffles

Waffles

GMC Member

• 222 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

Seems that they fail, i wonder why none of the lesser sites got DisQualified. Because they didn't get as many votes?

It's obvious that some people will vote from the same IP as others. If [edit] the multiple votes from the same person [/edit] is true, It's not fair to D/Q due to some n00b voting multiple times that we didn't want, you just remove all offending votes.

The number of votes (in theory) is directly proportional to the number of votes from the same IP address.

Edited by Waffles, 13 December 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#4 Gupocca

Gupocca

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 644 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

This is really terrible! The title on Digg seems to be a fairly good one: "Open Web Awards Rigged?!". The sites with more members and also with a great site deserve to be nominated.

Hopefully this can get worked out... :P

#5 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I have a hard time with this one, because it's essentially a larger version of my complaints about a certain individual sending out hundreds of emails to get votes for the GMA... but I have voiced my support for YYG, on both Digg and Mashable.com. Hopefully they come to their senses and realize that the mistakes of few shouldn't affect the outcome of the entire vote.

#6 darkshado

darkshado

GMC Member

• 289 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

You must be absolutely gutted. It's insane that they'd do that, maybe if they knew the size of this community they might reconsider their stance. Anyway good luck with the appeal.

#7 Guest_YoYoJim_*

Guest_YoYoJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

You must be absolutely gutted. It's insane that they'd do that, maybe if they knew the size of this community they might reconsider their stance. Anyway good luck with the appeal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No chance of us being in the competition sadly. I just wanted to get an explanation. And I largely have - it just wasn't very well organised.

On top of that, Mashable seem to have blocked my account now :P

#8 darkshado

darkshado

GMC Member

• 289 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No chance of us being in the competition sadly. I just wanted to get an explanation. And I largely have - it just wasn't very well organised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't even get the chance to argue your case? Perhaps they should change the name from the Open web awards to something more appropriate.

#9 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4236 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

I don't think this was a mistake, there is lot of stupid people around :P.
I hope you learned something. shame on you, spammers.

#10 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

I don't think this was a mistake, there is lot of stupid people around  :lol:.
I hope you learned something. shame on you, spammers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anything, they learned that if they don't want someone in the competition, all they have to do is constantly vote for them. :P

#11 Joerdgs

Joerdgs

Clavus Studios

• 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Blame it on the internet. A blessing and a curse in one package... :P

#12 Shadeplay23

Shadeplay23

GMC Member

• 470 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

How could we not make it in the top ten? YYG is huge! With all the support in the GMC, we should've done great! :lol: :P

#13 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

Really. How great can mashable be and how important must have this "competition" been if any user can post a comment which is later counted by a human to determine the victor? The voting method was very unsecure and unprofessional. The Cage Match is more secure than that voting process....

I doubt YoYo would have increased a lot more customers by winning the thing anyways. Nothing was stated on what the victor gets. A pat on the back and possibly a whole 3 new members? I am guessing YoYoJim is the head of web relations (medium between YoYo and GMC, big influence with the YoYo website, etc.). With that said, I think Jim should be trying to find much better places to represent YoYo.

Suggestion: Try contacting game websites such as Bubblebox.com, Acid-Play.com, Gamehippo.com, Newgrounds.com, and other such sites to try and work out an advertisement deals with them. Those are the places which gamers go to, since they are game websites...
Perhaps we can work at a bargain with a game website of some sort. I don't know, I am not a YoYo representative.

I am not trying to flame or put anyone down. I am simply stating my opinion and I thought I'd drop in my two cents.

#14 garionw

garionw

GMC Member

• 75 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

But does it really matter?

so what, you miss out on one award. There are plenty of others to choose from.

#15 t3mp3st

t3mp3st

Damaged's Tool

• Retired Staff
  • 2026 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, nice way to 'take responsibility'. It's easy to be responsible for something when there's no consequences when you screw up.

Usually in real life, when you screw up with your responsibilities, you fail, are fired, are replaced. A seemingly insincere apology doesn't do.

Before this contest, I haven't ever heard of mashable. Now I'll just pretend I never heard of them.

#16 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

Before this contest, I haven't ever heard of mashable.  Now I'll just pretend I never heard of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I'll second that. Their website looks like garbage anyway. :P

#17 Peter Brouwer

Peter Brouwer

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

If anything, they learned that if they don't want someone in the competition, all they have to do is constantly vote for them.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So if we want yoyogames to win, we all have to vote like maniacs on the competitors besides yoyo. Hmm, that's a way too :lol: .

#18 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

Wow, I guess people changed their minds about mashable after they read my comment?

#19 felpman

felpman

FelpManFilms

• GMC Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Before this contest, I haven't ever heard of mashable.  Now I'll just pretend I never heard of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I'll second that. Their website looks like garbage anyway. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who's idea was it to have a light gray background? :lol:
And, with a reputation like their's I don't think they're going to be around much longer.

#20 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7954 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

Wow, I guess people changed their minds about mashable after they read my comment?

You have an uncanny ability for self importance.

Did it ever dawn on you that people's opinion of mashable changed when they saw the inept way that this competition has been handled.

I disagree with how mashable handled their competition, it just stinks of incompitance and now has zero credibility. However, one can't help but wonder what the role of the GMC's general ignorance played into it.

Mashable's talking head, cited two reasons that yoyogames voting habits brought negative attention to themselves.
  • Multiple votes from the same IP address
  • Non-stop voting after the voting deadline passed.
Regarding the multiple IP voting, some of it was explained by James, and I consider it a reasonable explanation. However, I have no doubt that there still was other's who did try to stuff the ballot box. Many GMC members seem to have a history of ballot stuffing, this has been demonstrated numerous times in the cage match competitions.

The voting past the deadline also demonstrates how so many fail to apply common sense. In fact, I commented precisely on this in the original topic. Didn't do a lick of good, in fact some responded, to just keep on voting.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 13 December 2007 - 10:19 PM.

#21 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

@NakedPaulToast
Read all the comments above my first post, then read all the comments below my post.

Edited by Aertcz, 13 December 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#22 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• Retired Staff
  • 7352 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

@NakedPaulToast
Read all the comments above my first post, then read all the comments below my post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I don't know the answer to this riddle. What's the difference? The only person who replied both before and after your post was FredFredrickson.

#23 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4922 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

Well thats too bad :) Maybe someone was fiddling with the votes.

Anyway there will be more award sites and stuff.

An another note, i am glad you are getting to be pretty active on the forums.

Edited by Revel, 13 December 2007 - 10:20 PM.

#24 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

@Yourself
Before my first post, it was more of a sympathy and grievance based attitude and afterwards it was more of scew mashable attitude... However NakedPaulToast likes to single me out every time I post to make me feel like an idiot. I am sure he is a perfect person in his perfect little world.

#25 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• Retired Staff
  • 5309 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Irrespective of whether Aertcz was first to state it, he's certainly right.

This contest and its operators have been discredited by this fiasco. So whoever wins will have a hollow, meaningless victory.

#26 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

mashable is a freaking noob site, I hope that YYG realizes that mashable is only giving you a hard time because they are part of the group of programmers who hate game maker (no idea why).

Edited by erthgy, 13 December 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#27 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

Uh. I don't quite understand that. YoYoGames has a few programmers that are working on programming GM8? Programmers here which develop games basically make their company.... I don't get why they would hate programmers :)

#28 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4113 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

mashable is a freaking noob site, I hope that YYG realizes that they're only giving you a hard time because they are part of the group of programmers who hate game maker (no idea why).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get that information from?

Uh. I don't quite understand that. YoYoGames has a few programmers that are working on programming GM8? Programmers here which develop games basically make their company.... I don't get why they would hate programmers :)

He means it this way:

YYG realizes that Mashable only giving YYG a hard time because Mashable are part of the group of programmers who hate game maker (no idea why).

Wow! In the minute that I edited my post, there were 3 new posts there!

Edited by stubbjax02, 13 December 2007 - 10:34 PM.

#29 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

NO, I meant mashable hates gm because of... nvm see above post I edited..
to make more sense..

#30 BrandMan211

BrandMan211

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

How could we not make it in the top ten? YYG is huge! With all the support in the GMC, we should've done great! ;)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow, Mashable is bigger.

Really. How great can mashable be and how important must have this "competition" been if any user can post a comment which is later counted by a human to determine the victor? The voting method was very unsecure and unprofessional. The Cage Match is more secure than that voting process....

Agreed. For the love of god they could have at least closed the topic.

If anyone manages to find an option that lets us close our accounts, let's mass close them to show we don't support this piece of junk.

because they are part of the group of programmers who hate game maker (no idea why).

...Mind showing us where you got this idea? If this is valid, we could challenge their decision with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users