78 replies to this topic

#1 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Tower Defense without a name

info
If you've ever played a tower defense game you will know what to do in this game. You have money, with that money you build towers that defend your castle against enemy's that get stronger after every wave. The goal of the game is to survive as long as you can.
Do not judge the game on the screenshots. The game may have simple graphics but the gameplay is very deep.
resolution: Does not change resolution. Can be played fullscreen (F4). A minimum screen resolution of 1024X768 is recommended.

features

* 7 unique towers
* over a 100 upgrades for your towers
* 4 normal maps
* 3 special maps that change how the game is played: Endless wave, Space Siege and Invasion
* You can tweak anything in the begin menu: enemy speed, enemy health, starting wave etc.
*Includes a map editor to make your own maps.

screenshots
Posted Image
NOTE: This screenshot does not contain the complete game window. For complete screenshots use one of these links below:

Screenshot 2
screenshot 3

download

Yoyogames link
If needed I will add a mirror link.

closing comments
The next thing I want to do with this game is adding sounds, but I can't find good ones, so if anyone has some suggestions...

Edited by johnie102, 22 February 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Have I helped you? Thank me by playing my game

note that these graphics aren't in game... yet!

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#2 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

Had troubles with screen resolution, on the level select it was big and I could not get to any levels because if there is an 'OK' Button on the bottom it was off the screen, so I could not play...

NA/10 //means not available because I could not play...
I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#3 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Well thats to bad. What exactly is your screen resolution? It has to be a minimum of 1024X768. If you have smaller than that try pressing F4 (full screen mode). It micht resize the game.
Could you please try again?

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#4 Carl

Carl

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

wow that was fun dude. it was a challenge

the graphics werient all that. but the actual game makes up for that.

graphics 7/10

sound 0/10 - was none

gameplay 9/10

story 6/10

overal: 8/10 keep it up!

#5 Holy Fruit

Holy Fruit

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Incredible,somehow i love this... keep up the good work,and please complete the game! u have my support,and if u need sprites,i can do them.
great job hey

PS,make the screen-shot with the whole interface,it will attract more people. :)

Edited by Holy Fruit, 25 November 2007 - 10:21 PM.

reality is not solid

#6 Wirodeu

Wirodeu

Axel the Dark Hero

• GMC Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

Holy fruit, please note that there's a max size for a screenshot on this forum, if you exceed that maximum size, the image will be removed by a moderator or administrator. ^^
Ich will mit diesem Schiff untergehen denn ich bin der Kapitšn...

#7 Holy Fruit

Holy Fruit

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

Holy fruit, please note that there's a max size for a screenshot on this forum, if you exceed that maximum size, the image will be removed by a moderator or administrator. ^^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

didnt knew that,well then,he can take 1 more screen-shot showing only the interface,right? hehe

btw,johnie,some games deserve much more than they are getting,like this one,i really think that this can turn out to be great game when it gets completed

Edited by Holy Fruit, 26 November 2007 - 12:07 AM.

reality is not solid

#8 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

@Holy Fruit:
The picture is 640X480 and so can't be made bigger then that. I don't need sprites, but if you can make sounds that would be appreciated.

@Carl:
Thanks for the review.

@Everyone:
What would you like to see in the next version?

EDIT: actually Holy Fruit, could you perhaps make an explosion sprite or png for the nuke explosion? Because it looks a bit pixely right now and i'm not so good with sprites.

Edited by johnie102, 28 November 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#9 pwhk

pwhk

GMC Member

• 407 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

This is the first GM game I downloaded since I leave about 4 months ago.

1. Have your game an icon, to make it look more professional

2. The menu is ... unprofessional. Tweak it, at least have your game title!

3. The button on top should notify when the mouse is on

4. I have BIG difficulty setting the "normal settings". I recommend you to make the box detecting the mouse click bigger. And you spell "difficulty" wrong.

5. Have your game BGMs and SFXs

6. I have no ideas about the values of reload/dmg of turrets. Find somewhere clear to show it out clearly!

7. I am confused with the stats on the left. Make it clearer. e.g. Current: 16 dmg. Upgraded: 20 dmg. Cost: $600!

8. Too little enemy types, or special enemies appears not so often. I would recommend some

9. The report:
First time...castle get damage: 15
you hold out until wave 0?!?!

10. Normal Setting: The table messes up when you set some enormous values (for example, 6 for difficulty setting)

11. Difficulty setting: when the box pop up and I type 1.5 it becomes zero!

12. It would be cool if you have a map editor.

It is a good game though. Maybe some more suggestions/bugs later

Edited by pwhk, 25 December 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#10 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:25 PM

1. I've already created a new icon for the new release CHECK
2. Yeah I was thinking about that, it should be changed a lot.
3. All the buttons will have mouse over effects for the next release.
4. Oh didn't noticed this before, it is because of the framerate, it will be fixed. And I could never spell difficulty correct :(
5. I was looking for sounds, but I can't find good ones :)
6. What do you exactly mean with this?
7. I didn't hear that very often, I'll see what I can do.
8. Maybe you have noticed, but those enemy's are kind of hard to defeat, so I don't think they will have to appear more often.
9. Do you mean you died during the first wave?
10. It is not supposed to be set above 2 (this number will be powered by the wave number)
11. That's probaly a typo, will fix it.
12. For a map editor, i will have to rewrite the complete way the levels are made. Maybe later, if more people want this to.

Thanks for your critisicms, long time no posts.

#11 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

1. I've already created a new icon for the new release CHECK
2. Yeah I was thinking about that, it should be changed a lot.
3. All the buttons will have mouse over effects for the next release.
4. Oh didn't noticed this before, it is because of the framerate, it will be fixed. And I could never spell difficulty correct :(
5. I was looking for sounds, but I can't find good ones :)
6. What do you exactly mean with this?
7. I didn't hear that very often, I'll see what I can do.
8. Maybe you have noticed, but those enemy's are kind of hard to defeat, so I don't think they will have to appear more often.
9. Do you mean you died during the first wave?
10. It is not supposed to be set above 2 (this number will be powered by the wave number)
11. That's probaly a typo, will fix it.
12. For a map editor, i will have to rewrite the complete way the levels are made. Maybe later, if more people want this to.

Thanks for your critisicms, long time no posts.

#12 pwhk

pwhk

GMC Member

• 407 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

No, I do not die in the first wave. I died in about wave 20 or so.

Also, the scoring systems doesn't seem to work. I died in wave 20 or so and I could not get a score.

#13 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

On what map did you play?

#14 FedoraMan

FedoraMan

Who else?

• 399 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

That was really cool. I can tell the work you put into it, most definitely.. My suggestion? Clean up the graphics, but what I would like (I LOVE Tarpit Defense..) is the ability to purchase units to spice it up even more.
Posted Image

#15 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

I'm glad you like it FedoraMan. But what do you mean with cleaning up the graphics? Are there some graphic glitces or something or do you mean they could be better?
I've searched for Tarpit Defense but couldn't find it, do you mean moving units?

#16 FedoraMan

FedoraMan

Who else?

• 399 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

Tarpit Defense is a Starcraft map. By cleaning I meant touching up the graphics. I knew that was [probably] already on your list so I didn't make a big deal. Sorry for the late reply. And that what I meant, yes. Units adds a level of uncertainty that really urges along the gameplay. I like Starcraft a lot, you see.

Edited by FedoraMan, 01 January 2008 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

#17 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

I don't think I will add units, (for now) I will stick to towers/turrets. Improving the graphics is off course on my list but I'm not very good at it :D
If anyone is interesting in making sprites or particle effects for this game, just tell me.
Also I want to say that all the bugs that pwhk pointed out are fixed and that I am busy with a map editor and that it is already pretty far done. (it was less hard than I thought it would be)

#18 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

I've released the new version!!
The main new feature is the map editor.
The main menu has been completely remade and all the bugs that I know of have been fixed. It still has no sound though...

#19 Ewzicyn

Ewzicyn

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

This is a cool game. I really like the fact that you can change all the settings.

I found a few bugs:
  • When reading information of, for example, an upgrade, when the START button or an enemy appears, it's drawn on top of the text.
  • Sometimes, the START button won't appear. Pressing space also won't work, me not being able to continue.
  • When ENDing a level in the map editor, then rePLAYing it, the money and wave number aren't reset, keeping them the same as in the previous level.
If you add sound/music, make sure to add an option (in the playfield) to disable it/them. Because I don't want to hear the impact of 10√ó14 missiles and 8 laser beams at the same time.

#20 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

GLad you liked it.
I don't really understand the first bug. Could you explain it better?
And I will fix the second and third bug.
Thanks!

#21 Ewzicyn

Ewzicyn

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

When reading information of, for example, an upgrade, when the START button or an enemy appears, it's drawn on top of the text.

When I press RMB on for example an upgrade, a yellow textfield appears, showing information. When the information was created, the START button wasn't there (a wave was being created). But then, the START button appeared again, on top of my information!
It's the same for enemies. While displaying the textfield, some enemies were spawned. The "road" is beneath the textfield, and the enemies walk on the road, on top of the information textfield.

My explanation is stupid, sorry.

#22 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

Oh, thanks for clarifying, noted it and it will be fixed. Thanks

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

I really, really enjoyed this game. Have been playing it for hours.

My only suggestions, sound effects and background music, Change the default graphic for the common creeps, plain circles just don't cut it.

Anyone, who is a fan of tower defence games, this is a must try.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 21 February 2008 - 03:23 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#24 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

Have been playing it for hours.

Hours, more than one. Cool.

I want to add sounds, but I can't make them myself and I can't find good ones. I've been thinking a long time about changing the normal enemy sprite, but I don't know what to change it too.

Also, the next version is going to (probaly) include three extra towers: the Lightning tower, Ice tower and Momentum tower.

NakedPaulToast would you mind if I put "Anyone, who is a fan of tower defence games, this is a must try." into the topic title?

#25 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hours, more than one. Cool.

Much, more than one.

NakedPaulToast would you mind if I put "Anyone, who is a fan of tower defence games, this is a must try." into the topic title?

Be my guest.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 21 February 2008 - 03:25 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#26 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks, (btw, I had to paraphrase (spelling?) you, as it wouldn't fit else ways)

On another note, I don't have inspiration for special upgrades for the ice/freezing tower so if anyone has some idea's...

Edited by johnie102, 22 February 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#27 Unib5

Unib5

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Special for ice tower - longer freeze, splash damage.

#28 PKWgames

PKWgames

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hey Johnie102! I still can't run games on my laptop yet, but I clicked your link... I am willing to help make sprites! do you mind if I help??

#29 templargfx

templargfx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1948 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Awesome tower defense game, a little on the easy side, but I'm a veteran at these things. I see you based this on Onslaught (thats the feeling I got)

I played for about 2 hours, and will play again for sure!

If you want any help with sprites, consider me in. I tried making a Tower Defense game, but couldnt get balancing down ^_^

#30 toadish

toadish

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:11 AM

i dont think he could either >_>
the uhh morph tower = instant win
though i lost on level 634 on never ending level, i forgot to use shortcuts and i stop building when the screen got messy....ima try again

Great game man keep it up!

#31 toadish

toadish

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

Posted Image

EDIT:this was second try
now i forgot i could build on the outside >_<

Edited by toadish, 25 February 2008 - 03:47 AM.

#32 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@ templargfx & PKWgames:
If would really like a new sprite for the default enemy, but I don't know what to do with it, if you have anything in your mind, feel free to show it. A better (less pixely) nuke explosion would be cool too.

@toadish:
The endless wave lvl was a bit too easy :(, the balance is already changed for the next version.

@Unib5: Yes those specials would be the things I would use for specials for the freeze tower if I can't think of anything else. I'm trying to think of something original, but I'm out of inspiration.

On another note, I'm have added particle explosions to the missle/sam launcher and I have changed the look of projectiles of the Normal, Machinegun and Shockwave tower.

Also, what would anyone like to see in the next version (remember that there will already be 3 towers added (probaly)). Also is anyone suffering from framerate problems?

Edited by johnie102, 29 February 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#33 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

This is excellent. i'm a big fan of tower defense games, and i honestly think that this one has the potential to rival any other TD game out there, including onslaught2 which is pretty much the best i've ever seen.

However, i don't think this is the case with the game as it stands, even though i think it is very good indeed as it is.

I personally would like to see a complete graphics overhaul on this game - the only things that looks decent to me are some of the attacks. It looks like a test run of a game using dummy sprites. I obviously have no idea if you're planning on changing the look of the game - but from your comments about wishing to change the basic enemy sprite, i'm assuming that you are not planning a general overhaul.

My apologies if what i'm about to say is at all offensive! It is obvious to me that you've put a huge amount of work into this, and i'm in no way saying that it doesn't show or hasn't paid off. These comments are solely about the appearance of the game, rather than the gameplay itself.

-Firstly, the menus are dull. Functional yes, appealing no. Everything about the hud is unappealing, in fact - the buttons, the icons, the hud itself.
-It would be nice to see terrain on the levels instead of the blue/white backgrounds. The possibility of different terrains on each level would add some (though obv very limited) interest as well.
-The statistics screen at the end and the title screen are, like the hud, entirely functional with little or no visual appeal.
-The enemy sprites, which your obviously already aware of.

the towers are okay, though i think they could be improved.

IN terms of the gameplay itself, i would say its more or less spot on. It would be nice to see an option to change the speed - i find there's nothing more dull that just sitting waiting for you towers to do their work before the next wave. (Try playing Protector- an otherwise interesting/playable game which is rendered unplayable by the endless waiting whilst the mages destroy each wave).
I also dislike the fact that enem hp is shown by its alpha - its a nice idea in theory, but in the later levels i kept finding there was just one or two enemies left, and i had no idea they were there because they were almost completely transparent. Maybe its as simple as limiting the alpha to staying above a certain transparency?

That's the only two things i would suggest! More towers is always an appealing suggestion, but too many choices is actually offputting - especially when playing a game for the first time. I would suggest any extra towers featuring as unlocks - ie, if you reach a certain wave, an extra tower becomes available. this gives first-time players more chance to get use to the game, and everyone else more of a reason to carry on playing to get to build the best towers.

I just want to re-emphasise the point that i think this game is excellent as it is, and that this is all supposed to be merely constructive criticism. Yes, i think it could be improved, but that isn't to say that i don't appreciate the worth of what you've already created! ;)

ps, i'm not very good at short replies!! :(

Edited by Chickenfeed, 26 April 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#34 templargfx

templargfx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1948 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

alright, I will do you up some sprites today, and let you go for gold on them!

#35 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

@Chickenfeed:
Comparing me to Onslaught is a big compliment ^_^, I'm not offended by your critisicms, I know the graphics aren't quite good, but that's just because I'm not that good of a pixel artist.
About the hud, what would you recommend to make better than? Note that the upgrade buttons are completely changed already.
About the background: When I first created the game I chose that blue background because no tower had that color and I didn't do any terrain bacause I'm not that good at spriting and because I think that if you start the game and see a complicated background you start thinking that the game is very complicated too and you start to freak out. That was the initial thought behind that, but it could be changed now yeah.
I haven't even thought of the end menu :D. It isn't changed since a very long time.
I think I will leave the towers as they are. (graphics wise)
About speed: I was thinking about how I could do a quick mode, but It's a bit hard to do that with the same balance of the towers.
The enemy's already have a limit of how transparent they can get: minimum of 25% alpha. i have no problems with spotting the enemy's, maybe it's your monitor (or mine ;)).
About too many choises, I might (when the game is more done than now) add points awarded after playing a game which you can buy extra things. So it actually awards for playing longer.

@templargfx:
I'm looking forward to it.

#36 Kakashi_Hatake

Kakashi_Hatake

{(GM)}

• 1713 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:58 AM

This game owns. <-- Period.

Graphics = 7/10
Sound = 0/10
Gameplay = 9/10 Gets boring when you play at like wave 150. (i got up to 170)

Overall = 5.something/10. <-- Low score, so i will bring it up to 9/10 :P

thnkz 4 da avie t3mp3st

#37 mathiusman

mathiusman

GMC Member

• 179 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

I approve! Could use a little polish though.

#38 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Now I've got my broadband to actually work again!!

I've re-played this after reading your comments, with them in mind. So:

-about the enemy alpha - you were right. it was just the angle of my monitor! So ignore that its fine!

-about speed - couldn't you just add a 'fast-forward' button that sets the room speed to double or 1.5x?

-about background - your point is entirely valid. But i still think the look would be improved by adding some sort of bg terrain, and having eg a grass level, sand level, lava level. The terrain itself can be kept basic and/or pale - and you can always mount each turret on a square grey base to keep them visible.

-about the hud - as i said, its certainly got the info needed on it. My biggest gripe is definitely the black writing on burghundy/maroon in the descriptions of the towers. again, it might just be my monitor (or my eyes) but its far too difficult to read. I think its just too flat and grey, really! And the buttons are a bit bland. Is this done through draw scripting, or is it sprite based? Can I make you a new one with new buttons and turret icons? Or is that being a bit too pushy? :D I can do a few quick terrain samples as well, if you fancy just seeing what it'd look like.

Basically, i know all my comments tend to be graphics-based, but i do like nice-looking games and i'm better at graphics/designing than actually coding or building the games, so i tend to notice it more. It is also my opinion that this game's potential could be increased by giving it a 'makeover'. I would quite like to get my hands on this and give it a graphics overhaul........if you are interested let me know! If not, best of luck and i'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

EDIT- you can see some of my graphics in my one and only game in existence here http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/24424 I added ten odd screen shots so you can have a quick look-see without needing to play it.

#39 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

@Chickenfeed:
It's a bad solution to simply make the room speed larger as lesser computers won't be able to use that button. I'm more thinking of a way to let one wave count for 5, so you will be able to upgrade much faster,etc.
About the hud: The upgrade buttons are changed, they are now long bars with scrolling text. All the white buttons are just sprites (the text is in the sprite self).
The graphics of your game are really really good, so I am very interested if you could create buttons/backgrounds/anything else.

I approve! Could use a little polish though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I have a few people who might want to help with the graphics (chickenfeed and PWKGames) so it could become more good looking.

Gets boring when you play at like wave 150. (i got up to 170)

I'm trying to balance it soo that you can play shorter games, but that isn't easy.

Edited by johnie102, 04 March 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#40 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Yay! I'm up for it - menu buttons, the hud, some backgrounds are all things i'd like to have a go at. Would it be possible for you to send me your hud and button sprites so i've got sizes etc to work with?

Also, is there anything specific you would want for the hud? I'm currently thinking a black/grey affair with pale green or red grid, and have the text either pale green or blue. A general computer-ish look.

With regards to the game speed - fair point, i'm not going to pretend i know enough about these things!!

I'd love to have this as a little project to work on - something i can get my teeth into without getting bogged down in eg coding or level design. My competition entry is literally driving me half mad/half incredibly bored!!! So this would be a welcome break.

#41 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Some screenshots (just right click them and choose 'Save target as'):
User Interface
UI expansion Note that that whitespace before the thingy is used to make it easyier for me to fit it in the real UI.
Normal tower button Every tower has is own sprite in the same style
Start button Again, every button has its own sprite but it has the same style.
Full screenshot Screenshot showing how the new upgrade buttons look.
A room is 1000*700. The background is just a blue standard background with a white path drawn on top of that.

Hope this is enough info. As for how it should look: I'm just curious what you will come up with.

#42 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Okay, this is excellent place for me to start from. I'm just going to do a load of stuff, and you'll be more than welcome to use or reject any of it. I don't know how quickly i'll be able to do it between work and other stuff, but I'll probably make a start tomorrow.

i'll be in touch when i've done some stuff to see if you like it or want to make any changes etc

#43 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

Right, I've done quite a bit so far and thought you might want a little look-see. I've not spent ages on any one thing except the hud, so its no big if you want to have any of it changed.

All of the sprites i've made for you are in the same place - click on any of the images below to go there.

What you will find: (Not in order!)
  • The HUD - as i say, this is the only thing i really spent a long time on. Whilst i tried to keep it as similar to yours as possible, the shape and size have turned out slightly different. I hope this doesn't cause too many problems for you!
  • The two 'expansion' sprites (on the yellow background) are exactly the right size and position to fit with the hud - but again, this might be in a slightly different position than you are used to.(we're talking a matter of a few pixels, not a massive leap)
  • Buttons- red sprites for 'start','restart','delete','credits','end' and 'hotkeys'.There are no sprites for pressed buttons - i would say either just darken them slightly or invert the colors.
  • Turret Icons - an icon for each of the seven turrets. I replaced the turrets' buttons with picture icons just because i think it looks neater and fits in with the hud better.Again, no icons for when each turret is unavailable - i think it would look good if they just became black and white/greyscale when unavailable.
  • Details for Emergency Funds - being an icon for each of the three emergency fund buttons, a red question mark for the funds explanation and a text box (because I didn't even realise what that bit was - hopefully this makes it more obvious to the player)
  • Backgrounds - a seamlessly tiling background for grass, sand, ice, lava and space levels
  • Path sprites- four path spritesheets for grass, sand, ice and lava levels. The paths are 128x128 pixels and tile with both themselves and their relevant backgrounds when aligned. They will tile seamlessly on a snapping grid if you make each one 128x128 when you separate rather than cropping. Or, if you prefer you can use each as a tile set with 128x128 squares and 1 pixel separation. The white grids are only there to make it easier for you to separate them into individual sprites
  • A Tower Base - the grey square with a circle in it is a base for the towers - in order for eg the green turrets to still show up on grass, you could mount all turrets onto this sprite if you want. Its 32x32 - i wasn't sure how large your turrets are
  • A screenshot - i put all of the sprites together into a screenshot so that you could get a general idea of what the final thing might look like without having to mess about with your game
Here's the screenie:
Posted Image

Path Sprites for Grass level:
Posted Image

The basic HUD:
Posted Image

A couple of things - the font I've used is called Avatar (I was using regular, 12pt) and can be downloaded from www.1001freefonts.com. I wanted to use something a bit more digital, but this was the closest i could get that still looked nice at such a small size. And the ice background might be a bit too strong/overpowering on screen - i can do another, or you can try simply fading the colours.

I hope you like these! If you do, get back in touch cos i want to do more! And remember that a lot of these were churned out quite quickly, so feel free to suggest changes or what have you, i can always change them or do new ones (thou i really hope you don't want the hud changed!!!)
I would like to have a go at the title screen image and buttons, loading screen, the player's base and some other stuff, if you like these and you're willing to let me. XD

Look forward to hearing from you.

EDIT----a couple of things i've noticed about gameplay - firstly, would it be possible to put in some system where the player can only select one tower at a time, it prevents lag and confusion. Also, the bullets and enemies appear above the hud - particularly noticeable on the Invasion level.

#44 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

The hud is excellent!! The green effect is very cool, I don't really like the font very much but that can be easily changed. And the Icons of the towers are just godlike :).
May I ask what software you used to create that glowy green effect?

The ground seems a little to low tech compared with the hud. Could you do maybe something more metallic, maybe freeway like. At least a bit more modern than a dirt road. The backgrounds are good.
Could you perhaps also do the towers? Because if I were a player I would be dissapointed with the tower sprites if I saw such cool icons. :(

I just tested the UI and it's too small... It's supposed to be 1000 pixels wide but unfortunately it isn't. If I resize it it becomes a bit vaque, is it alot of trouble to resize it properly? (btw, if I resize it to be 1000 pixels wide then everything does fit, so the proportions are fine).
I will soon send you a PM with my tower sprites if you don't mind...

#45 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

Glad you liked the hud, cos i didn't really want to do another one! I wasn't really happy with that font either, but those buttons were unbeleivably easy to make so i can always do some more, or you can adapt those instead. The only bit of the hud affected by the font is the 'y' on the expand/collapse button. The problem is finding a font which still looks nice and is readable at that size.
I created the base HUD in a program called DrawPlus which comes in freed or paid versions from www.freeserifsoftware.com. I've got the paid version (which was only £9.99 sterling), but the free version is every bit as good. You just create geometric shapes, give them a color or gradient and a transparency, you can merge, crop and do pretty much anything. So, I just put an elliptical transparency on a green grid and overlaid it onto the black background.

Also glad you liked the icons! (Godlike might be a bit of an exaggeration!) I love making icons (because i'm just an interesting guy XD). In my mind, they made it a bit more obvious to the player what each tower represented, before reading the description etc.

Good point about the low-tech feel of the backgrounds. These really were done quickly, because i know you were not really all that keen on having backgrounds in the first place - so i thought you might just want to trial some out. I will happily do more - but my ideas for this are minimal. A freeway sounds cool and should be easy enough.....do you have anything else in mind?

I would like to have a go with the towers, so please do send them to me! (what i'm really after is to be able to do.......everything!) Seeing as you seem to be happy with what i've done so far, i'm certainly willing to carry on and commit to doing more.

Regarding the UI....what you say is odd, because i definitely made it 1000 pixels wide (*it was the height that changed). In the sample room i knocked together it fits perfectly, my sprite of it measures 1000x132....in fact, that is also the measurement written on the image in my previuos post. I can resize it, but not to 1000 cos it already is. I can try sending it to you another way to see if that helps, but i'm not too sure what to do about this. I also saved it from Imageshack, and loaded it back into GM and it was still 1000x132......this is confusing.

Anyway, ahve another go and if it doesn't work we'll sort something out. I look forward to receiving your turret sprites to work on.

#46 Unib5

Unib5

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

There hasn't been update this game in a while. Is it still being contiuned?

#47 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Yes, the project's still alive and kicking.
Chickenfeed is replacing a lot of sprites in the game so it will look a lot better. Just give it some time, there will be an update.

#48 Unib5

Unib5

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

Is the electricty, momentum and freeze towers in the update?

Also another idea - towers that you control.

#49 krejic

krejic

GMC Member

• 1001 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

This idea is very cool! But... the blue background is a bit boring. Maybe you can add some nice backgrounds to make it more colorfull. Or let people change the bg-color should help too!

#50 johnie102

johnie102

GMC Member

• 1608 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

The lightning tower is already completely done. I'm now working on the freeze tower and I'm probaly going to do the momentum tower too.
The problem of towers that you control is that it becomes a completely different game: from strategy to action. It also doesn't work if there is more than one tower that you control.

@ krejic: Chickenfeed is also going to do some backgrounds. Actually, he has already done a lot of sprites and I think he is going to do about every sprite.