Photo

Rat Cave (placeholder Name.) V4.2 (no Slowdown!)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:35 AM

Rat Cave
or something...
Posted Image
(image from v2. 50% size)

Resolution: No change
Written In: GM6.1 Registered
Competition: retroremakes.com
Playing instructions in F1

This is one of the simplest games I've made so far,
so keep your expectations reasonable.
And post a comment, okay? I need 'em.

Things to do:
-LOS system. (I'm having trouble with this one. Slowdown has been the main problem.)
-More dangers?
-Special weapon to kill the beast with?
-Hard mode.
-Name change...?
-Title screen (with story).
-Hmm... What else?

Download v4.2 (4.79mb)

Edited by JTR, 25 November 2007 - 08:30 AM.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#2 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Oh well, no hurry. The competition ends 8th of december.

The Black Tome

#3 Hecore

Hecore

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

As you said it was simple... and also very easy, assuming the beast doesn't jump you while you're reloading.

Not too many things that I think need to be fixed, but here they are:

- The edges of the cave can overlap parts of your character. This doesn't do anything mechanically, but it would be nice if that didn't occur.

- You can lure the beast outside... I don't think this is fitting with the spirit of the game.

If I were making the game I would add a couple of things:

- A few more enemies. Rats are obviously the most prevalent, but why not bats, moles, or even mobile fungus?

- The beast cannot be slain until you aquire a different kind of arrow, hidden deep within the cave (silver arrows, maybe?). If you did this, however, you would need something that drives the beast off and doesn't consume arrows.

- It might be neat to add in a torch that lights up the passageway. You can have the light be blocked by cavern walls, kind of like this:
~~[]
~~~o

o = player
[] = wall
* = light
- = shadow
~ = spacers so the image displays properly

- Something else you could add is a little greater variety of cavern flooring. Grass, water, and mushrooms would all fit the mood.

- Bonus 'Son of the Beast' mode? A slightly changed generation method and a harder beast fight might make give the game greater longevity.

Edited by Hecore, 03 November 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#4 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

As you said it was simple... and also very easy, assuming the beast doesn't jump you while you're reloading.
[Yes, I need to think up something to add more difficulty.]

Not too many things that I think need to be fixed, but here they are:

- The edges of the cave can overlap parts of your character. This doesn't do anything mechanically, but it would be nice if that didn't occur.
[I made the character's mask larger. Looks better now.]

- You can lure the beast outside... I don't think this is fitting with the spirit of the game.
[I'll make a door that closes when the player enters the cave.]

If I were making the game I would add a couple of things:

- A few more enemies. Rats are obviously the most prevalent, but why not bats, moles, or even mobile fungus?
[Good ideas! I kinda forgot the bats...]

- The beast cannot be slain until you aquire a different kind of arrow, hidden deep within the cave (silver arrows, maybe?). If you did this, however, you would need something that drives the beast off and doesn't consume arrows.
[Excellent! I'll give that a thorough thought.]

- It might be neat to add in a torch that lights up the passageway. You can have the light be blocked by cavern walls,
[I'll try. Might work better now that I got the wall deactivation system working.]

- Something else you could add is a little greater variety of cavern flooring. Grass, water, and mushrooms would all fit the mood.
[Puddles of water could leave wet footprints, and that would help in tracking the beast. I'll add some mushrooms, too.]

- Bonus 'Son of the Beast' mode? A slightly changed generation method and a harder beast fight might make give the game greater longevity.
[Okay. I'll do that.]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for testing it, and thank you for all these great ideas! You've been very helpful!

Edited by JTR, 03 November 2007 - 08:54 PM.

The Black Tome

#5 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

Version 3 uploaded. (See first post.)
So, if you haven't tried the game yet, now is a great time to check it out!

The Black Tome

#6 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

This is an excellent game man, as are all of your others. I'm really impressed with this, and I have this weird compulsion to beat it :skull:

#7 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

I loved it! I was playing it all day at school. It was simple but very fun and addicting. Beating the big rat was hard but I did it. :P

I liked how you had it so that you had a set amount of arrows and you could pick them up again, as well as the creatures. The hud was also done very well too and the bleeding to death from being bit was nice also, but one thing I didn't like was how the bandage only stopped the bleeding and didn't heal you at all, or at least that there wasn't any health to pick up. The graphics themselves were really good too, very retro. Also, great job on the randomly generated room, it was great and made the game exciting.

9.5/10

This is a very fun game, and I hope you win that competition you're in. Also, I myself might look at that competition, so I might enter myself if it seems good, so watch your back from now on. :skull: B)

Lol. :skull:

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#8 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

I found a bug: right mouse clicking won't use badages.

#9 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:18 AM

They worked the last time I checked. Are you sure you were bleeding when you tried to use them?

There's a flashing icon next to the blood meter to indicate the need for bandages.

EDIT: As you might have noticed, you don't usually have the time to bleed. But when you get lucky enough to survive an attack, you'd better move to a safer place before patching yourself up, because it takes some time.

Edited by JTR, 07 November 2007 - 03:32 PM.

The Black Tome

#10 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Oh okay, I just thought they were used to restore health in general.

Anyway though, keep up the great work.

#11 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

The top right corner of the screen desperately needs a meter/counter of some sort.

Any ideas?
Some kind of a trap you could set?
Sound radar?
A bag of bebbles to mark explored tunnels? Done
All these and then some?

Edited by JTR, 14 November 2007 - 03:24 PM.

The Black Tome

#12 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Update! The FPS is all fine now!

The Black Tome

#13 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

Nice game but why can you put those stones on the ground if you can't leave the cave to be celebrated as a hero after killing that rat?
Also the rat can run out of the cave if the doors open for you.
You could also make the cave tiles a bit rounded with a little autotiler so the cave won't look that blocky.
The light coulr have a slightly random size and the surroundings could also be a bit more dark for a better athmosphere.

Suggestion:
Posted Image
tileset
Posted Image

#14 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Nice game but why can you put those stones on the ground if you can't leave the cave to be celebrated as a hero after killing that rat?

Thanks. You'll be able to exit the game in the final version. (Or some of the next ones.) What about the stones? (They're just for marking purposes.)

Also the rat can run out of the cave if the doors open for you.

That'll be fixed.

You could also make the cave tiles a bit rounded with a little autotiler so the cave won't look that blocky.

I could try. It would be my first autotiler then. Thanks for the example pics!

The light could have a slightly random size and the surroundings could also be a bit more dark for a better athmosphere.

Okay, will do. Thanks!

The Black Tome

#15 SeeYouAlways

SeeYouAlways

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

It was a mildly entertaining experience for me, also having played your other games "Death Worm" and "The Crypts of Despair". The dungeon generation process was a little slow for me (1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 processor), but other the game ran relatively smoothly.

The difficulty level was steep for game newbs like me, and I am still struggling to finish the game. I am new to testing out Game Maker games and I have still a lot to learn so I do not have much helpful comments to improve this game, but it was pretty fun. Well done!

(BTW, I have PM'ed you. :lol:)

#16 Viktor

Viktor

GMC Member

• 327 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Wow, looks cool, I hope you win