29 replies to this topic

#1 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

PROTOGANDA: STRINGS

This game's graphics were inspired by old movies with special effects made without the use of computers. And to some extent by the feeling you get from watching old propaganda movies. The gameplay is a fairly straight boss fight flare, with a focus on time, rather than lives.

Here's some screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You start out with three minutes playtime. Defeating a boss gives you an extra fifteen seconds. Being killed deducts forty. If the timer reaches zero, you die.

There are two different gameplay modes, "absorb" and "shield". Shield gives the player a defensive tool that can be used to get out of tight spots; press Z + X to repell bullets. You also get a chargeable shooting function that automatically targets the enemy. Hold X untill your ship is glowing, and then release. Z fires your main cannon.

In Absorb mode, I borrowed heavily from the great Ikaruga. You can switch color to become invulnerable against bullets of the same color as yourself. Touching a bullet absorbs it, and you build up power to release a charge shot, as well as replenish a bit of time. Bullets of the color opposite to the enemy does more damage.

There are two online highscore boards (one for each mode), and a variety of different options to extend the fun.

Download here:
http://www.willhostf.../protoganda.zip

Shield highscore board:
http://h1.ripway.com...a/highscore.php

Absorb highscore board:
http://h1.ripway.com...a/highscore.php

Edited by cactus, 03 November 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

Once again, very sexy. You make the most beautiful SHMUPS on this forum. Great job yet again.

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:38 PM

Nice! I like the 3D graphics a lot, but I don't quite see how this is like an old propaganda film (other than the Russian characters!) I guess I could that see its propaganda-esque properties by its mellow, somewhat flickering atmosphere.

I personally prefered Clean Asia and even MSOIDS to this. I'm not saying its of lower quality; it's just personal preference. In fact, this is very professional-grade. I found some of the boss-fight gameplay rather linear, as you had to shoot at a more-or-less stationary circle, which was the only thing that could take hits. The time counter is a neat idea, though.

I found an error. When trying to switch to 'absorb' mode, this came up:

http://img526.images...50/errorui6.jpg

I didn't post the image here; as that tends to clutter things.

Another great game!

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 25 October 2007 - 12:26 AM.

#4 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

I found some of the boss-fight gameplay rather linear, as you had to shoot at a more-or-less stationary circle, which was the only thing that could take hits.  The time counter is a neat idea, though.

Yes, it's a concern of mine as well. But if I gave the bosses bigger hit masks, the game would lag for sure. Game Maker wasn't made for 3D, unfortunately :wacko:

Thanks for the bugreport. I can't believe I missed that. Should be taken care of now.

PS:  Are all the bosses named after brands of vodka?  I was just wondering.

The bosses names are taken from a list of the 50 most common Russian family names.

Edited by cactus, 25 October 2007 - 12:05 AM.

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

The bosses names are taken from a list of the 50 most common Russian family names.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should call one of them 'Putin,' in that case. :wacko:

#6 retrogamer

retrogamer

Button Masher

• 468 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

Yessss! I have been waiting for, like, two weeks for this. I loved Fractal Fighter, and this is the same concept. I was guessing what the names were...

#7 gamer dee

gamer dee

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:34 AM

You have inspired my to try my hands at a einhander style gameplay. This is an amazing game. :wacko:

#8 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

I've been waiting for you to release this. I absolutely love the styling, the gameplay is fun too. The only problem is I suck at shumps.

#9 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

I love the sepia flicker that the screen has.

Great game, don't know why more people aren't playing it...

#10 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3528 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

Beautifully imperfect. The screen flickering, faded look, dirty logo, and shaking camera all lend themselves towards the feeling of a russian propaganda video being played on a projecter in a 60s or 70s spy movie.

#11 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:40 AM

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this game for quite sometime.

Excellent game. I don't know how you did those graphics though. They're amazing!

Yet another game by you saved to my desktop.

#12 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I wonder what you need to do to get many replies around here. I was sure that a cool 3D game would be enough, but I guess I need to rethink that. Maybe I should start procrastinating in the WIP section, and post a gazillion tiny updates for each of my projects...

#13 WarriorArtiste

WarriorArtiste

3d Creator

• 1032 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Good game ;)

#14 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I wonder what you need to do to get many replies around here. I was sure that a cool 3D game would be enough, but I guess I need to rethink that. Maybe I should start procrastinating in the WIP section, and post a gazillion tiny updates for each of my projects...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Generally 3D is enough. People see 3D, and they're like "OMG!!! 3D??!?!?!??!", they play it and the game gets 6 pages on the first day.

I'm not really sure why this one isn't. Maybe you need to give out free cookies?

#15 Chessdude

Chessdude

King of the Chess Board

• 1123 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:46 AM

Geez. I played this game a couple of days ago and said to myself "Hey, this game is pretty awesome. Cactus will be getting tons of posts in a day or two.". I wonder why that burst in posts hasn't come yet. It's certainly a wonderfully constructed game and atmosphere. I love the effects that make it appear to be a Russian propoganda film. They blend in so well, and work quite smoothly. Overall, great game.

-Chess

#16 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

FANTASTIC! A MAGICAL EXPERIENCE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! BRAVO! *Claps for 3 hours*

#17 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Maybe you need to give out free cookies?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But I have no cookies :(

#18 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

Free chocolate chip cookies coming right up!

Posted Image

Straight out of the oven! :(

Edited by Theghostofchristmas, 03 November 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#19 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3528 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

The fact that it's nice 3D, running at decent speeds, with decent gameplay, and a uniform style negates all "OMFGZ IT ROXMAHSOXZ1111" comments.

#20 TwistyWristy

TwistyWristy

GMC Member

• 693 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

I've played and loved some of your other games, so when I saw this I of course had to try it out.
As usual, I found it to be another excellent game!

I just love the style and atmosphere and the gameplay is wonderfully addicting.

Great job!

TwistyWristy

#21 Hair Machine

Hair Machine

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

Looks and sounds amazingly stylish, but runs like a dying dog on my computer. Boo! It's not that it's slow, it's just that it regularly locks up for anything from a second to permanently. I've watched the gameplay video though and it got me excited, which is more than most games. In fact one of the few things I'm more excited about getting my hands on is Akuchizoku :D

Still, I'll try again tomorrow... my computer might be going through one of its periodic spasms, where nothing works and everything breaks. I do wonder though whether this is the reason you've had few replies? Or it might be just that people are THE STUPIDS LOL

EDIT: One more wierd thing I just remembered is that the enemies' bullets don't move... they just stay stuck in one place. I hate my PC.

Edited by Hair Machine, 29 November 2007 - 05:56 PM.

#22 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

Looks and sounds amazingly stylish, but runs like a dying dog on my computer. Boo! It's not that it's slow, it's just that it regularly locks up for anything from a second to permanently. I've watched the gameplay video though and it got me excited, which is more than most games. In fact one of the few things I'm more excited about getting my hands on is Akuchizoku :D

Still, I'll try again tomorrow... my computer might be going through one of its periodic spasms, where nothing works and everything breaks. I do wonder though whether this is the reason you've had few replies? Or it might be just that people are THE STUPIDS LOL

EDIT: One more wierd thing I just remembered is that the enemies' bullets don't move... they just stay stuck in one place. I hate my PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your PC is ancient, Upgrade or don't complain. It ran fine on my PC, which is pretty damn crap by todays standards.

Anyway, this game is quite addictive. And that's coming from a person who isn't a massive fan of v-shmups. It reminds me of Ikaruga mixed with Warning forever.

All in all, nice work Cactus; but come on. You make wonderful games; some variety in your genres would be nice!

Edited by dimitri, 30 November 2007 - 12:39 AM.

#23 Hair Machine

Hair Machine

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

Well, I guess 2 years old is ancient by modern standards... but hey, I'm not rich enough to be buying computers all the time ;)

But anyway, it was just being temporarily weird, as I kind of suspected... the game ran completely fine today, so you can disregard yesterday's ramblings. And basically, this is as awesome as I hoped it would be; addictive, fun, bloody hard, and brilliantly presented. I'd have been happy to pay for it honestly...

Edited by Hair Machine, 30 November 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#24 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

I'd have been happy to pay for it honestly...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a donation button on my site ;)

#25 Nobody

Nobody

GMC Member

• 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

11/10 best geam evar mad

#26 HiroLord

HiroLord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Great game. I saw the trailor, tried it out... it's better than I exected :D

#27 The Unknown

The Unknown

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

this game definately deserves more attention =\
This is one of the most visually stunning and unique game maker games I've ever seen. The gameplay is not as addictive as your other games, but this is still a fantastic game that more poeple should be aware of.

#28 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1115 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

nice game, a lot of really good effects in it. Its not really my style though.

Its another bullet hell, which annoys me because i usually find those games very annoying. Though this one was pretty good.

good work on it, though it wasnt my favorite.

#29 G.I.L.

G.I.L.

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Post count+1

no seriously this is great and more people need to play it! :GM7:

#30 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Great SHMUP.
Shooting games are of little interest to me in general but this still managed to provide a good amount of entertainment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users