Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:25 PM

** DISCONTINUED **

Hello all,

GMSQL is a project that allows you to connect to an online MySQL database server using DLLs. You can log on to the server through TCP/IP or an URL, perform any kind of MySQL query and retrieve ALL supported field types as a two-dimensional array. You can even retrieve binary files and save them locally with the game!

WARNING: For advanced GML scripters with MySQL database experience only.

What can you do with these DLLs?

With enough experience, you can...
  • Create simple game play counters or record other game statistics
  • Create online highscore lists: insert new scores and highscores and get the top rankings directly in your game without the need to call PHP pages
  • Store player statistics and characteristics such as names, logon credentials and stats
  • Create MMORPGs... If you're up to it. The tools are here. :D
The package includes:
  • Two DLLs that enable the MySQL database server connection
  • Easy access through a GML library file
  • GMSQL Console, a console tool in editable GMD format
  • A manual with examples in RTF format
Don't forget to read the manual!

** Download link removed **

The DLLs seem pretty stable and you should not encounter the dreaded "unexpected error" during execution. But if you do, please show me the script.

Any questions - only about using the DLL extensions, no generic questions about MySQL please - in this topic. I appreciate any bug reports and errors or omissions in the manual.

Thanks to Nelsobra for the idea and Alasdair Forsythe for providing the online test database. :D

Merry scripting,

Smarty

<EDIT>
SECURITY ALERT:

Communication between client and MySQL server databases is susceptible to hacks on Internet connections because package sniffers can intercept username and password logon information. Therefore, GMSQL is only relatively safe on LAN connections and when Game Maker is used as a server-side application only.

Use Internet client / server connections at your own risk. This security risk is related to the MySQL client library, not to GMSQL. Therefore there is nothing I can do to fix this.

Client / server connections on the Internet may only be safe if clients have registered IP addresses at the server. Refer to the MySQL manual for more information on how to set this up.

Edit: A translation from GMD to GM6 of the console example, done by homebrewpc, can be downloaded from here. Special present for anyone unable to do a conversion themselves.

Edited by Smarty, 20 August 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#2 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:46 PM

OMGS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU! :D :D

#3 gamefreak1450

gamefreak1450

Ultimate Game Maker

• 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:33 AM

wow... great job. I'm sure this will be a huge success, used in games everywhere soon. A true piece of work

#4 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:38 AM

Unfortunately. I cannot connect to a remote MySQL database, it returns access denied. I have access (well I can access it through PHP).......
EDIT: btw I am using the console app that came with it... :D :D :D :( :(

Edited by maxd gaming, 23 March 2004 - 12:42 AM.

#5 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:39 AM

Thanks guys. :D

Well... I hope it will be used, eventually. Not many game developers here will put a database online, even though MySQL is free for use.

What would be nice is that when one of the board's members decides to put for example a database online that stores highscore tables. Each game developer could get a table for his game and insert and retrieve the scores there. A kind of a Game Maker highscores database table.

Anyway, I should also say that I made only one of two DLLs - the bridge that connects to the MySQL C++ API and handles all input and output to Game Maker. The big work has still been done by MySQL AB.

Smarty

EDIT:

Unfortunately. I cannot connect to a remote MySQL database, it returns access denied. I have access (well I can access it through PHP).......

The reasons could be a case sensitive user name, password or database that you wish to connect to. It also happens if your host address is not a wildcard.

Edited by Smarty, 23 March 2004 - 12:41 AM.

#6 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:43 AM

It also happens if your host address is not a wildcard.

My host address a wildcard? what does that mean?

EDIT: here is the information my host gave me:

Username: database_name
Database name: database_name
Password: your database password
Database Host: 50free.net
Database Port: 3306

Here is what I am putting in

Host: 50free.net (I have also tried 50free.net:3306)
Username: maxdgaming_db
Password: My Password.

Edit2: here is my (well your) code

if !gmsql_connect("50free.net","maxdgaming_db","*******",'')
{
show_message(gmsql_errormessage());
game_end();
exit;
}

Edited by maxd gaming, 23 March 2004 - 12:47 AM.

#7 PromaneX

PromaneX

Fixer of broken web things

• 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:54 AM

MySql will only let certain "hosts" (or ip addresses) connect to the DB if your ip address is not one of these you cannot connect .

#8 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:54 AM

Well, you connected to the server, otherwise you wouldn't get an 'access denied'. I'm thinking that either you don't have the rights you think you have or the username or password, or both, are wrong.

The 'host' is your own ip or host address. MySQL stores usernames in the user@address format. Your should be maxdgaming_db@% (a wildcard) to allow you to log on from wherever you want.

Can you log on to the server with exactly the same credentials using the MySQL query tool (if you have it) ?

Smarty

#9 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:59 AM

Well, you connected to the server, otherwise you wouldn't get an 'access denied'. I'm thinking that either you don't have the rights you think you have or the username or password, or both, are wrong.

The 'host' is your own ip or host address. MySQL stores usernames in the user@address format. Your should be maxdgaming_db@% (a wildcard) to allow you to log on from wherever you want.

Can you log on to the server with exactly the same credentials using the MySQL query tool (if you have it) ?

Smarty

Well, I just tried maxdgaming_db@50free.net and maxdgaming_db@% neither of which worked. Same errors. I do not have this "query tool" but using php I can log on and using phpmyadmin I can log on....

Edit: Arrgh this really sucks, i was hoping to get my highscore system set up tonite before I had to leave... I have to leave in about 15 minutes now, maybe enough time to get this fixed... :D

Edited by maxd gaming, 23 March 2004 - 01:01 AM.

#10 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:03 AM

You can't use your host location in the username - MySQL will tell where you are by your connection and decide whether or not you are a valid user.

Those PHPs may be executed from the server location itself. In other words, they are not worth a test because you really can't tell the security settings used with the PHP scripts.

Smarty

#11 PromaneX

PromaneX

• 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:04 AM

Arrgh this really sucks, i was hoping to get my highscore system set up tonite before I had to leave... I have to leave in about 15 minutes now, maybe enough time to get this fixed... 

If you get stuck with your DB then i will set you an account up on my sever to allow you from any host

#12 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:04 AM

OH! I see now.... well, I need a reliable database then, cause i betchu it is the security is too high... :( :( :(

Promane I pm'd you. ^_^

Edited by maxd gaming, 23 March 2004 - 01:06 AM.

#13 teenman

teenman

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:06 AM

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SOME HOSTS WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT VIA LOCALHOST. This is a security issue set on most hosts, not allowing outside connections. Some hosts however, give you the option of allowing outside connections to a MySQL DB (but usually that's only with pay hosts...)

#14 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:07 AM

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SOME HOSTS WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT VIA LOCALHOST.  This is a security issue set on most hosts, not allowing outside connections.  Some hosts however, give you the option of allowing outside connections to a MySQL DB (but usually that's only with pay hosts...)

Yep, I got that now. I didn't realize that......

::Promane I pm'd you.

Edited by maxd gaming, 23 March 2004 - 01:09 AM.

#15 PromaneX

PromaneX

• 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:10 AM

Smarty can it be made to work with a proxy ? im using GPRS through my mobile phone for my internet

#16 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:24 AM

I haven't tried it on a proxy, and I am not familiar with configuring one. The system does not depend on HTML pages, so there's no caged information on a proxy. You need a proxy/firewall setup that tunnels the IP packages back and forth between your computer and the server.

Try it and know it. ^_^

Smarty

#17 PromaneX

PromaneX

• 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:30 AM

It wont do it , it's just trying to go direct to my server , and my isp wont let it nvm lol i'll fix it at some point ^_^

i would like to start i site giving users of your dll a db to use on my server would that be ok with you? want to be a partner in the site?

#18 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:37 AM

i would like to start i site giving users of your dll a db to use on my server would that be ok with you? want to be a partner in the site?

Hey, this is what I want people to start doing. All you need is my permission to use GMSQL 1.0, and by putting it online here you basically have it. What project you set up with it is your business.

Since I am not really a hero on managing sites and databases, I think I'll skip the invitation. Thanks anyways. ^_^

Smarty

#19 PromaneX

PromaneX

• 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:49 AM

Great thanks ill start work in the site right away ^_^ still think you should be a part of it tho :( haha

#20 SkaterD

SkaterD

Bloody Stick

• 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:54 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I LOVE IT!
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
YOU ROCK!

#21 Guest_maxd gaming_*

Guest_maxd gaming_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:25 AM

Hey Smarty, It musta been my security settings 'cause PromaneX was nice enough to hook me up with his DB and now it works !++

#22 Nelsobra

Nelsobra

Soulless Stoneknot

• 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:20 AM

I'm trying it now thanks Smarty ^_^

Hmm i'm getting access denied using www.audiodragon.net or www.ng.audiodragon.net

I'll get the server ip from my host and try that next.

Oh Smarty, i've made it workable in 5.0 as well if you'd like me to post it :(

Edited by Nelsobra, 23 March 2004 - 05:34 AM.

#23 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the positive comments. ^_^

Hey Smarty, It musta been my security settings 'cause PromaneX was nice enough to hook me up with his DB and now it works !++

Thought it would be. :sniched

Hmm i'm getting access denied using www.audiodragon.net or www.ng.audiodragon.net

I'll get the server ip from my host and try that next.

I think that isn't really the problem - an access denied shows it HAS been able to contact the server, just that your logon credentials are not OK. It's the security settings again, I'm afraid. See the other comments in this topic.

Oh Smarty, i've made it workable in 5.0 as well if you'd like me to post it

Yes, I kind of skipped creating one myself. Please do. :(

Smarty

#24 cyanide

cyanide

GMC Member

• 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:03 AM

interesting ^_^

VERY interesting!

so this piece of dll is capable of connecting to a mysql server? wow...

#25 GameCompulsive

GameCompulsive

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:29 PM

Could you release the source code? I'd like to play around with it....
:wistle :wistle :wistle

#26 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:59 PM

so this piece of dll is capable of connecting to a mysql server? wow...

Correction: these pieces of DLL. Actually, My DLL doesn't connect to the server, the MySQL C++ library does - just as processing the queries and handling the results. I just linked to that library. Well, that and a little bit more of course. :huh:

Could you release the source code? I'd like to play around with it....

Nope, sorry, I won't. But in case you're interested - it's written in Delphi, and the library and the MySQL unit can be found on / via the MySQL site.

Smarty

#27 Jochem

Jochem

Pagoe Lord

• 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:33 PM

This DLL looks amazing. but the problem is I don't understand how MySql works :huh:, but I will search internet for some tutorials

Edited by powerjojo127, 23 March 2004 - 08:34 PM.

#28 Nelsobra

Nelsobra

Soulless Stoneknot

• 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:09 AM

Mysql example for 5.0

It does not include the dll's

#29 Shadow of the Moon

Shadow of the Moon

The Immortal One

• Banned Users
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:34 AM

I haven't downloaded it yet, but it sounds really cool, Smarty.

#30 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:38 PM

Mysql example for 5.0

It does not include the dll's

Thanks, but this one doesn't work properly. The drawn background image is removed, so the top line and the command line are drawn in black on a black background. But I will dig up the GM 5.0 version on my HD to get it fixed and add it to the ZIP file.

To the rest, thanks for your comments.

I was expecting a lot of people to have trouble with this - basically this package is of no use unless you have access to a MySQL server that allows you to contact it from your current location. Although you may have MySQL database room at your provider, the providers usually only allow access to the database when running scripts from the server itself.

Anyone who likes to experiment, you can download a free Windows version of the MySQL server here. I recommend the installer.

I am however rather more interested in those that manage a connection over the Internet. The issue I am most interested in investigating is the initial connection through the gmsql_connect command. This is slow on my machine over the Internet (several seconds), while after a connection has been established the queries run very fast. Running a server locally results in an immediate connection.

I'm quite sure that this is a server configuration setting, I just don't know which one. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Smarty

#31 SkaterD

SkaterD

Bloody Stick

• 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

what about www.readysetconnect.com
i use that for skd games and i have like 47 msql thingies available but i dont really know how to connect the game with it.

#32 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:56 AM

Well, whether or not you are allowed to connect to the MySQL server from anywhere is something you have to ask your provider. And unfortunately, if you don't have MySQL knowledge, things might get tough.

If you know a user name, a password and the location of the server, you can at least try...

Smarty

#33 pad_foot_

pad_foot_

TSP Games

• 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:53 PM

So, what does this MySQL thing do? It allows you to make accounts for Multiplayer RPG's right?
::lmao::

#34 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

So, what does this MySQL thing do? It allows you to make accounts for Multiplayer RPG's right?

MySQL is a free database server, and not made by me. I just made a connection towards it available for Game Maker.

And from your question I gather you have been looking at one example but you probably don't really understand the full perspective. You can find more information here.

Smarty

#35 Sensei Eggwoah

Sensei Eggwoah

2+2=5

• 162 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:54 PM

Im going to try making a highscore table for my game with this. I guess one could also make a list of users and their ip addresses allowing for chat programs to find online users too, eh?

#36 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:23 PM

*Digging up presumed dead topic*

Theoretically, you could log IPs connecting to the server. Practically, there are still a bunch of dynamic IP users out there, which makes it rather untrustworthy to base a connection upon - you could be pinging an IP that belongs to another user at that moment. It's easier to make people connect to the server and have them automatically update a record in a table that records "online" members. The update should happen at a set interval (for example, every minute). To avoid members from being recorded as online while they have disconnected without properly closing the application, you could store the date of the last update - it should always be the current date minus the interval.

Smarty

#37 Guest_Mafiaboy69_*

Guest_Mafiaboy69_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:47 AM

cant there be any better text in the console ? i cant read it :(

ooh Thanks for making this work and all :D :D :) :) ;) :lol: :P :P I 've been waiting for a great online database conection with GM this way i can make shareware programs that people can buy and enter the serialcode to register into the database and

if the code is allready registerd the program cant and wont unlock
if the code isn't used allready then program will unlock and will became a fulll version program. thats how Counter Strike does it with condition zero and Steam steam website if you dont know what it is. :)

the way they do it is the way i want to do it. it stops people from sharing CD-key's etc... because a cd-keY in this case can only be used once for registering into the database and unlocking the program/game at the same time.

#38 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:39 AM

cant there be any better text in the console ? i cant read it

You can change it yourself, you have the GMD right? Both the size and the font are specified in the create script of the console object. The screen is built up dynamically, so it won't mess up your console.

I 've been waiting for a great online database conection with GM this way i can make shareware programs that people can buy and enter the serialcode to register into the database and if the code is allready registerd the program cant and wont unlock

And what if you need to re-install the game? The database will deny you the second time...

Anyway, first you have to make a game worth registering. Then you need to set up an online MySQL database. Good luck. ;)

Smarty

#39 Gogeta

Gogeta

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:11 AM

I was about to start on this project myself, then fortunately saw this topic ^_^ It's much more complete and well documented than I may or may not have gotten.

Anyway, I've set up some scripts that allow for the automatic hosting of highscore tables using this. It's already implemented at my site as you can see in my example game, Stratagem (link below).

The problem is that although I can access the database from other locations (not just 'localhost'), I don't have privileges to create new users and set their permissions. So I can't let people generate their own tables with specific user access. If anyone with a reliable, fast mysql database (with the obvious requirements, full access) is willing to share it and join in this project with Arsenark, please email/PM me about it. There are also several other things I'd like to add beyond the highscores concept.

Smarty, thanks for this DLL - really great work!

Edited by Gogeta, 15 April 2004 - 11:57 AM.

#40 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:02 PM

Thank you for the compliments, Gogeta. ^_^

I'm actually very happy with someone putting the DLL into use. I've played your game, but seeing the currently registered highs I wouldn't dare even trying to submit my score. :wistle

Indeed many people have the problem that they would like to use an online MySQL, but simply lack the permissions to do anything more than run a server-located PHP script. At least you can access it from mor than one location, but as a host for online highscore tables you would indeed need a database with permissions that allow you to hand out a table and username / password per game designer.

I'm interested to hear more about this project you are planning. Unfortunately I can't help out, as I haven't got the resources to run an online MySQL server. I'd be glad to give any support on GMSQL if required, but I expect the only big problems to be 1) getting the permissions right and 2) getting the queries right.

Thanks again,

Smarty

#41 Oxymen

Oxymen

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:00 PM

Can someone send me or upload the 5.0 version? I cant donwload it..

#42 Guest_Mafiaboy69_*

Guest_Mafiaboy69_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:32 AM

why dont you just get 5.3 it's better :)

ooohh your not registerd :lol: well i had the same problem last year to. i coudn't pay because my parents wont let me buy stuff over the internet. but since mark lives in the Nederlands and I in Belgium i can still sue him if he miss use my personal information my parents dont trust anyone unless they have seen the persone face to face.

last year december i got registerd and i'm still enjoying GM Full version 5.3 so get registerd you wont feel sorry :D ^_^ :P just keep on asking for it, if your parents ask you what you want to eat just say Game Maker registerd, if they ask you are you all right just say if i get Game Maker registerd they i will etc... just keep on talking about it. i worked for me and i got it for kristmas

#43 databot

databot

admin of moonlight games

• 309 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

if your parents ask you what you want to eat just say Game Maker registerd, if they ask you are you all right just say if i get Game Maker registerd they i will etc... just keep on talking about it. i worked for me and i got it for kristmas

i just kept leaving notes every where asking them to register gamemaker.
lets see now, ah yes i used:
post it notes
microsoft agent at the start up of windows
e-mails
texts
phone calls
Completed:
Scrip - Command line engine in the palm of your hands Get it Here
XML - XML simplified

#44 Bami

Bami

StupideGames

• 389 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:00 AM

sweet program smarty, only one thing: my PC hangs when I try to connect

I've created an MySQL server and here are the stats:

www.freesql.org
username : gunhappy
password : online

I have an firewall built in to my router so i cant shut it off to test it. do you have any problems like that or can anyone test it for me?

EDIT : thanx PromaneX

Edited by stupidegames, 18 April 2004 - 12:16 PM.

#45 GBStew

GBStew

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! This will be so useful for my online projects!

#46 PromaneX

PromaneX

• 489 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:12 PM

Looks like a lot of you are having problems gaining proper use of a MySql database , i know a solution for testing puroses you can get the free windows based MySql sever and use that , i recomend you get phpdev4 from http://firepages.com.au cos it comes with phpmyadmin to help you administer your database ^_^

edit get mysql from the official site (large file for some reson) http://dev.mysql.com...om/pick#mirrors

i still recomend phpdev4

Edited by PromaneX, 18 April 2004 - 01:19 PM.

#47 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

sweet program smarty, only one thing: my PC hangs when I try to connect

I've created an MySQL server and here are the stats:

www.freesql.org
username : gunhappy
password : online

I have an firewall built in to my router so i cant shut it off to test it. do you have any problems like that or can anyone test it for me?

I have been able to log on.

The problem is the initial connection (gmsql_connect). For some reason I can't figure out, this takes several seconds to complete, about 10-15 here. Your system may seem to hang, but it's actually busy building the connection. After that, queries run comparatively fast.

I don't know what causes the initial slow connection. I think it has to do something with server-side settings, but as I am no MySQL crack I don't know how to fine-tune these. AFAIK in the DLL code there is nothing I can do about it, I'm just using the required functions for it.

If anyone knows why this may happen, I'd be interested to know (and will put it in the documentation). I have the idea that the MySQL server is busy finding the right communication platform (MySQL server may run on a completely different platform) with the currently connected machine. On a local PC it takes no significant time at all.

Smarty

#48 bobby2guns2003

bobby2guns2003

Whateva!

• 149 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:31 AM

Is it possible to use This to connected to a mysql data base with something like phpnuke or woops or a home made thing or any mysql "installment" on it then load and save in the user folder ( same spot the "installment" loads its users from) cas if you could do something like this it would be easyer to make a system were you could have p2p players and people could edit there acounts ( change passwords and create acounts online.)

#49 Gogeta

Gogeta

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:37 AM

You could, it has full MySQL syntax compatibility :) It would be the same as doing it from a web page in PHP, only the functions are called from GM.

#50 Guest_Paulbreeuwsma_*

Guest_Paulbreeuwsma_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

How can I save the ip adres in a mysql database?
I can't use the function mplay_ipaddress() to read the ip, because if you have a LAN network that function returns the LAN ip(in my case 192.168.1.2) and not the WAN ip.