• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

RADIAN

Radian is an arcade game, the result of my consciousness fading in and out in chemistry class. It is controlled using the keyboard, and features two different game modes. The gameplay is rather strategic, and I suggest you play it a few times before just giving up. Currently, the only highscores are internal; online scores are, with any luck, forthcoming. Controls explained in-game and in the readme. All sounds and graphics are by me.

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Size: 1.4 MB

GM Version: 6.1 Registered

Vista Compatible: Yes

Link to YoYoGames entry (staff pick): http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/13736

GameMakerGames entry (with review): http://gamemakergame...?a=view&id=6354

Edited by Jabberwock, 09 November 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#2 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

I wish I could play but the zip file has an error.

#3 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:12 AM

Worked fine for me, and I'm glad. This was an excellent game (of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Jabberwock).

You're right- it took a couple plays to get used to the controls, but once I had the hang of it, I couldn't put it down. This is the first time in a while that I've actually been addicted to a Game Maker-created game. The sounds and graphics were perfect for what they sought to accomplish, and the learning curve was well-tuned. I will say that having the shield in the rear was much harder than on the sides, so I only tried it once.

Great game. I suggest everyone play it (and prepare to do a lot of swearing).

#4 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

It was pretty fun. But how do you get powerups?
-- My blog. --

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I like this a lot. The gameplay was original, and the graphics made me feel like I'm playing this game on a film projector. Again, very original.

I have just one suggestion: Put in background music. The game just feels kind of empty without it.

Good job!

~ Theta Games

#6 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

I love the look of this game, and the gameplay's solid too. Reminds me a lot of jph_wachesky, except a bit more somber and dark. Very inspirational. I recommend it for all people who either like arcade games or games with style.

#7 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

I loved it, my only wish is to have an option for mouse controls too!

#8 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

Definitely recommended for fans of abstract shooters.

Use space to absorb the debris left behind by enemies in your direction.

#9 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:31 PM

Definitely recommended for fans of abstract shooters.

Use space to absorb the debris left behind by enemies in your direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that now, i found out after looking over the readme again. The games very fun. But i can't really seem too block as many shots as i could. Maybe add the option for mouse controls, and faster turning in the next version(if there is one, that is)
-- My blog. --

#10 crash2108

crash2108

GMC Member

• 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

Very nice game. The controls took a little to figure out, but once you get that down, this game is loads of fun.
The only problems I have with it, however, is that the art style didn't seem to fit the game at all, and the sound effects seemed a little wimpy. A little more polish and this makes one of the better Game Maker games out there.

#11 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:26 AM

It works now. Pretty good. Challenging. Best score was around the 6000's.

#12 rbelmont000

rbelmont000

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

What I played of it seemed pretty fun. I see what kind of style you are going for, but the sound effects are terrible. It sounds like my speakers are blown out. But besides that, it seemed pretty fun.

#13 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

Great game Jabberwock. Like people said before, however, it needs background music... And the death of your guy could be a little more epic :(.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#14 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

It sounds like my speakers are blown out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what it's supposed to sound like. I guess it's a matter of taste, really. Also, there's no music on purpose, not because I was just too lazy to make any; I don't think any music would really fit with the feel I was going for.

As for mouse controls, I thought about it and tried it out a little, and then decided not to include them; if you just let the player move the mouse at any speed they want, it completely unbalances the gameplay and destroys the strategy, and if you limit the mouse speed, it feels sluggish and weird.

the art style didn't seem to fit the game at all

Really? What do you think would fit? Honestly, I don't think most games have an inherently appropriate art style. So basically what you're saying is you just didn't like the graphics. Obviously, I really do, so they're not likely to change. But I'm glad you enjoyed the game anyway. As for wimpy sound effects, 1) how loud are your speakers?, and 2) if you have headphones, I'd suggest those instead. I personally like these sound effects, but I never ever use speakers, only headphones, so people often don't like them as much as I do. You miss a lot playing with speakers, I think.

Anyways, thanks for the very kind comments, folks. It's good to know that I can actually make a fun game. Tim W. over at Indygamer seemed to like it, too. :(

#15 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

I personally liked the art style. The whole thing looked like it was being played on a film projector, which is original, like the gameplay. I guess no music is fine, although you could really get out there in the realm of avant-garde. Such a style would certainly fit the game.

#16 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

Great game. My high score was 11,000

I'm sure at some point people are going to be getting 100,000+ though

#17 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

Ha ha, I hope not. I can only score in the 30,000s.

@Thetagames - that's true. I was going to do some drum/weird sound based stuff, like in some of cactus' games, but I didn't feel up to it and didn't think the enhancement it would offer for the game would really be big enough to pay off. I really like the sound as-is. I'm glad you like the graphics.

#18 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

This is a staff pick at YoYoGames and has a staff review (with a star, which is the equivalent of a staff pick) on GameMakerGames. It was also featured on indygamer, and some Czech site that I can't read. Do you need any more reason to try it out?

#19 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

My highest was in the 15k's. You should get an online highscore board or something.

#20 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

This is a staff pick at YoYoGames and has a staff review (with a star, which is the equivalent of a staff pick) on GameMakerGames. It was also featured on indygamer, and some Czech site that I can't read. Do you need any more reason to try it out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was the Czech site this? My game R-Theta II is featured there. Maybe the site likes to feature crazy, somewhat math-oriented games.