!xorpl

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

The creator of The Puppeteer is proud to present his latest work, !Xorpl, an abstract exploration game that offers no concrete plot or purpose. The player wanders across a variety of exotic and stylized environments, hopefully appreciating the game's artistic motif. The arrow keys are used to control the character; no other information is required.

!Xorpl contains six paths of exploration and three different endings. Enjoy.

Download (2.3 MB)

Screenshot #1
Screenshot #2

(Updated as of 01/10/2007)

Edited by Time Wraith, 01 October 2007 - 05:17 PM.

#2 Nyriu

Nyriu

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

looks good.

Downloading, will edit

Edit: It's pretty fun, the ending I first got wasn't the best, but I guess it's because it didn't have a plot in the first place. The graphics are nice and simple, the controls are simple, and the rooms are simple. It seems a little too simple for me. But the one thing I liked alot was the music.

I'd say 7/10

Edited by Nyriu, 29 September 2007 - 10:39 PM.

#3 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

8/10
Nice Gfx.
Short but fun.;)

#4 omee66

omee66

GMC Member

• 160 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hey,
Good job! I liked that adventure; very simple and unique.
I don't think I can truly judge a piece of abstract art, however I think the music was fitting and I must say that I was really impressed by the fall-into-liquid effect: it was quite realistic!

-Omar

#5 RiRo

RiRo

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:54 AM

This game is great! It might be a little bit simple but it plays great and I really like the graphics. The music is fun but after a while it gets pretty annoying.

I would give it an 8/10.

#6 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

Funny little adventure game! I've made it to all the three endings.
Nice, smooth and inspirational. Good work!

Recommended!

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#7 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback on the music, guys. I know all too well I'm no genius composer, and this is the first time I've actually composed (or done anything, really) for a game other than my own, so I wasn't too confident about it...

As for the actual game, I really like it, though I think it could use more secrets and branching paths and just more areas in general. Still, it's pretty neat. Love the UFOs.

Edited by Jabberwock, 02 October 2007 - 12:21 AM.

#8 mikybee93

mikybee93

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

I finished it all four ways, all three endings, but it seems like there are alot of repeats for the "different" paths. I would be happy if you made another one of these with more of a story, some powers or something, enemies, just make it less of a skeleton... Otherwise, good job!

#9 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:05 PM

Jabberwock: The music was excellent! How did you make it?

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#10 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

I thank you all for your positive comments.

I have made some improvements to the game and uploaded it anew. In the desert area near the beginning, it is now possible to continue past the hole in the sand. Also, the snowy room in the second stage has been remodelled. Finally, I decided to remove the second and third tracks, as they are but slightly modified copies of the first. As a result, the game's file size has been lowered to 2.3 MB.

Enjoy.

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hmmm, this is very interesting. Though the genre is not new, I'd have to say that there is no game quite like this. In a way, it kind of has an avant-garde feel, along with a very trippy atmosphere.. Good job!

I think you should allow the player to switch to full-screen. That is just my preference, as I don't like to stare at such a tiny screen with other things on your desktop detracting from the actual game. I think that a game like this should be played for immersion, with good stereo speakers and a full screen of graphics.

I especially liked the music; I've never heard anything quite like it. It really added a lot to the atmosphere, and was avant in itself. I would like to see more sound effects, though, like for jumping and for the UFO abductions.

I would like an answer to that as well. I am a composer myself, and the only way I could see creating something like this would require a vast knowledge of synthesizers. A lot of the sounds in the music aren't even notes, but between notes. It's very innovative, and I love it!

Good job! I really liked this.

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 01 October 2007 - 08:19 PM.

#12 Dan1

Dan1

As Cool As Custard

• GMC Member
  • 1901 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Graphics: 14/20: Simple, but effective. Good job
Sounds/music: 15/20: Simple, but very good
Gameplay: 6/20: I gotta say, It needs to be longer and have some form of challange to it
Creativity: 4/20: You jump, you fall and die. The aliens are a nice touch but it's nothing more than a basic platformer
Others: 10/20: It has a menu, a very basic one though. And it isn't buggy

Overall, It's not the best game I've seen
49%

xdatdz.png  2ypb5o4.png  oqhq4j.png

#13 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:46 AM

I would like an answer to that as well. I am a composer myself, and the only way I could see creating something like this would require a vast knowledge of synthesizers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha ha, I wish I could say that was true... but really, all I did was tinker around a whole bunch with the waveform editor in Anvil Studio (it's really easy to use, you basically just draw pitch, waveform and volume over time and set a length for the sound), and then export the files as waves and import them into a tracker (SkaleTracker is the one I use) and sequence it all in there. It took me, like, three hours total, and the only programs I used are free.

Edited by Jabberwock, 03 October 2007 - 03:00 AM.

#14 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

It was a good game, I just wish there were more things to explore and interact with. Needs things like secret areas, living things, environments to interact with, that sort of thing. Detail and polish like that make exploration games what they are. Overall though, very well done.

#15 difficultman

difficultman

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

It's not technically abstract. Buildings are buildings, caves are caves, lava is lava, cacti are cacti. The hero is just a strange creature, not an abstraction. That said, the game is not really long enough to be boring and it doesn't reset or anything when you reach a dead end. It definitely needs something more, as it doesn't reward the player at all.

#16 moshboy

moshboy

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Definitely enjoyed this quite a lot. There's no doubt that it could be fleshed out but it's a nice diversion with some replay value.

Hopefully your future projects will expand on this concept.

What happened to The Dreamlands btw?