66 replies to this topic

#51 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

Areus, it's true in that when you can aim in many directions your eyes are focused on your enemies in relation to your mouse cursor, shifting focus from your ship in relation to enemy bullets.

But imo that's just another genre of a vertical shooter. It may be more difficult, but on the other hand, you're not required to get infront of enemies (and in their line of fire) to be able to hit them. In my opinion, it's thus compensated, I like the controls, it's different sure, but not necessarily worse at all, just not for everyone I guess, just like I was getting tired of the shooter you described.

#52 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:06 AM

Actually I find mouse aiming much easier. Probably because I play a lot of first person shooters.

According to Cactus, what I did was for the "casual" shmup fan... Wouldn't that mean this is the easier way to go? :blink:

Either way I like it. I can see why Cactus doesn't use it often though. It's fun to have to get into line of fire much more. Now that I think about it, I could easily convert this into a standard vertical shooter :P.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#53 jelleisgoed

jelleisgoed

GMC Member

• 419 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

very nice but just way (really!!!) too difficult. You should add a easy mode or something

#54 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

very nice but just way (really!!!) too difficult. You should add a easy mode or something

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wanted to make this for the more hardcore gamers to begin with, but I will admit to having thoughts of having difficulty settings. This one is probably not going to have anymore updates, but if I make a sequel, it will have an easy mode.

Oh, and by the way, here's my highest score so far:

Posted Image

CAN YOU BEAT 60680!? :medieval:

Edited by STARFOXROX, 21 October 2007 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:50 AM

I just like to say I FINALLY BEAT THE GAME! I know... I should have before I released it, but I mean I finally beat the game WITHOUT CHEATING! :)

I'm also thinking of starting a new shmup game. I already have the graphics style down and some gameplay elements, but it's hard to say where it's gonna go.

Posted Image

#56 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:57 AM

/.\Comments On The Game/.\

What can I say? This game is really good and challenging. The graphics are nice nothing super but they fit in. The music got me the most I just loved it, but it did not loop very well. (As in I could tell it looped) The controls are pretty easy to use, but getting use to the fact of moving your ship upwards was strange for me.

/.\Things To Think About/.\

One of the things that got me was when the color was white. Your bullets are white their bullets are white.
Sound effects would be really nice, but it does pretty good without them.
If you move enough then stop you will slide. Oh man this got me killed about six or so times it would be so nice for you to remove sliding.

.:{Game Rating}:.
Graphics=[10]
Sound Effects=[4]
Music/Background Music=[10]
Easy-to-use Controls=[10]
Originality=[10]
Replay Value=[10]
Your Overall Game Rating=[9]

.:{Rating Scale}:.
0=Very Poor
1-3=Poor
4-6=Average
7-8=Good
9=Very Good
10=Excellent

Edited by Orc Leader, 28 October 2007 - 04:52 PM.

"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#57 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:09 AM

/.\Comments On The Game/.\

What can I say? This game is really good and challenging. The graphics are nice nothing super but they fit in. The music got me the most I just loved it, but it did not loop very well. (As in I could tell it looped) The controls are pretty easy to use, but getting use to the fact of moving your ship upwards was strange for me.

/.\Things To Think About/.\

One of the things that got me was when the color was white. Your bullets are white their bullets are white.
Sound effects would be really nice, but it does pretty good without them.
If you move enough then stop you will slide. Oh man this got me killed about six or so times it would be so nice for you to remove sliding.

.:{Game Rating}:.
Graphics=[10]
Sound Effects=[0]
Music/Background Music=[10]
Easy-to-use Controls=[10]
Originality=[10]
Replay Value=[10]
Your Overall Game Rating=[9]

.:{Rating Scale}:.
0=Very Poor
1-3=Poor
4-6=Average
7-8=Good
9=Very Good
10=Excellent

P.S. If you are wondering why I only gave you a nine it is because there was so sound. Sorry but this won't get a ten without some sound effects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy cow! Thanks for the great rating. I can actually adjust the friction of the movement by changing one variable.

I also wondered about the white thing... I could easily remove it.

I got lazy and didn't feel like redoing the mp3, that's why you can tell it skips. Alls I really have to do is move the notes over a tad.

Well, there are sound effects... But only for the explosions and wave noise. I tried making a cool shooting noise, but I couldn't get anything to work. I didn't know how necessary it was considering the bg music. It's so loud it's hard to hear other noises anyway.

Posted Image

#58 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:24 AM

Oh well I will replay it and try to hear the sound effects I will tell you if I edit my rating or not.
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#59 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:48 AM

Oh well I will replay it and try to hear the sound effects I will tell you if I edit my rating or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't really matter. I'm honored by the score you already gave me. I think the explosion effect only plays on the death of the player or a targa explosion. I didn't do it to everything because I thought it might get annoying, though I never really tried it.

Posted Image

#60 Holy Fruit

Holy Fruit

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:49 AM

gameplay = 1
sounds = 0.7
gameplay = 1
graphics = 1
originality = 0.6

4.3/5

Sweet graphics ,nice gameplay,smooth. and levels r really challenging(like,daaaa)
reality is not solid

#61 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Updated my review the sounds fit in really nice.

Edited by Orc Leader, 28 October 2007 - 04:56 PM.

-Chris Martin

#62 Forgiven12

Forgiven12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Nice but could use some balancing. Level 15 is way too easy compared to those levels before. And level 21...I hate sudden surprise deaths...you could have hinted for those fast homing ships. I got through lvl 22 with first attempt ever after the moment of surprise faded. The laser-shield on one of the bosses was nice.

Being able to finish a stage without having to avoid all bullets didn't really match the otherwise high difficulty.

Edited by Forgiven12, 29 October 2007 - 06:34 PM.

3pTXJiR.png

A lane defense game with rock-paper-scissors strategy and puzzle elements.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=626883 

#63 WarriorArtiste

WarriorArtiste

3d Creator

• 1032 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

I think the game would be a lot better if there was a damage system. Maybe getting hit 3x kills you? And add bonus lives (2 or 3 should do the trick.) Getting hit 1 time makes you start the game from level 1...Secondly add some sound effects.

Edited by WarriorArtiste, 29 October 2007 - 04:40 PM.

Ultimate 3D 2.1 April 2, 2008!

-33% of the population are Zoogles, 34% of the population are Yoodles, and 100-(34+33)% of the population are noodles. If you put this in your signature, I'm alright with that, if not, that's fine too.

#64 miomaz

miomaz

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

gfx: 9/10
sfx: 6/10
bgmusic: 10/10
gamedesign: 5/10 (well done classic;exept it's way to hard)

very flashy and eye catching, Ill release it for you in germany if you want.(regard my sig.) I could see this in a magazine.

regards,

Mark

#65 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:07 AM

gfx: 9/10
sfx: 6/10
bgmusic: 10/10
gamedesign: 5/10 (well done classic;exept it's way to hard)

very flashy and eye catching, Ill release it for you in germany if you want.(regard my sig.) I could see this in a magazine.

regards,

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, sure, you can stick it in there.

Oh, and Forgiven12, the homing ships were originally not even highlighted! I'm glad I changed that, because it was way to hard before.

Did you get that far without cheating (as in, changing the ini files contents)? If so, congrats.

Posted Image

#66 sadfib

sadfib

GMC Member

• 1034 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

ow my head hurts :P

#67 Borek

Borek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:03 PM