• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

Posted Image

Download: Decobliss

Size: 3.15 MB
Resolution: No Change
Full Screen: True

INFO

Decobliss is yet another shoot 'em up with explosions and lasers. It contains some slight polar coordinates motion wise to create the rail movement. The game has taken around one and a half months to finish.

FEATURES

-30 waves (6 sets)
-6 bosses
-Lasers (wow)
-Difficulty for those hard core gamers
-7 enemies (technically)
-"Original" player movement

SCREEN SHOTS

Posted Image

Posted Image

MENU NAVIGATION

-Left click and hold an option
-Move the mouse left or right to rotate a ferris wheel type options menu
-Release left click when option is selected

IN GAME CONTROLS

-WASD or Arrow Keys=Movement
-Space or Middle Click=Targa Special
-Left Click=Rapid Fire
-Right Click=Laser
-Enter=Skip Explosion Scene
-Escape=Go Back to Menu or Exit Game at Menu

Edited by STARFOXROX, 01 July 2009 - 07:42 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#2 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

Nice; very nice! This game definitely has style, and though this game is a polar opposite of Lilium, I can see a certain artistic style that is prevalent in both games.

The game certainly has original mechanics, and the semicircular nature of the ship's path kind of reminds me of my own R-Theta games. The movement is very smooth, although the up-and-down movement could be a little faster.

My only real complaint is that it is far too easy to get hit. Most games like this have the ship's mask be very small; sometimes even just a point. Also, it is a bit difficult to see the bullets, simply because the entire game is always the same colour at one point. I love the changing colours, but maybe you could make the bullet colours constantly be inverted in relation to the other colours.

Finally, the waiting for the the 'yes' to appear when you quit, though it is a very cool effect, is kind of annoying. In my opinion, games don't really need a confirmation in the main menu, because if they accidentally click 'quit,' they can just run the executable again. The effect is cool, so I wouldn't mind too much if it remained that way.

Overall, this is very good. It is nice to see your style venture into the world of SHMUP's.

~ Theta Games

#3 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

Nice; very nice!  This game definitely has style, and though this game is a polar opposite of Lilium, I can see a certain artistic style that is prevalent in both games.

The game certainly has original mechanics, and the semicircular nature of the ship's path kind of reminds me of my own R-Theta games.  The movement is very smooth, although the up-and-down movement could be a little faster.

My only real complaint is that it is far too easy to get hit.  Most games like this have the ship's mask be very small; sometimes even just a point.  Also, it is a bit difficult to see the bullets, simply because the entire game is always the same colour at one point.  I love the changing colours, but maybe you could make the bullet colours constantly be inverted in relation to the other colours.

Finally, the waiting for the the 'yes' to appear when you quit, though it is a very cool effect, is kind of annoying.  In my opinion, games don't really need a confirmation in the main menu, because if they accidentally click 'quit,' they can just run the executable again.  The effect is cool, so I wouldn't mind too much if it remained that way.

Overall, this is very good.  It is nice to see your style venture into the world of SHMUP's.

~ Theta Games

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was actually going to have the sub title be "A Polar Opposite of Lilium."

The mask basically is a dot :). The best advice I can give you is look for white and then dodge it. I'm so used to the colors I don't really notice the background at all anymore. I don't really want to change it as well... I can actually beat the first set of waves with out moving at all (minus the boss of course).

The 'yes' thing I thought about changing as well. I just wanted it to be like the rest of the menu. If anything, I'll make escape exit the program.

I've always wanted to make a shmup game, so... I did.

Posted Image

#4 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

WOW!!!

the best in shoot 'em ups that I've ever seen!

that menu was amazing and I apluade you postimisly (heard that phrase on tv lol)

the game play was sterling and welll just perfect, i like the music and the way that one explodes

i must say when i saw the game in development i underappreciated it but now i see what a truly remarkable game this is

sound 9/11 (could have used a bit more laser and peow peow, but the music was cool)
graphics 9/10 (hmmm, naw 10/10 actually)
physics 8/10 (hard to get used to but once you do its really great)
everything else 10/10(really cooliez game)

overall 9.9/10

also like in theta games comment i love your style and im glad to see it thruout

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Sweet! I got to Wave 10! Those walls that come the opposite way are an interesting twist, although I died on them. I actually think the mask is fine now; I'm beginning to get used to the game. It's pretty addicting!

#6 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

Sweet!  I got to Wave 10!  Those walls that come the opposite way are an interesting twist, although I died on them.  I actually think the mask is fine now; I'm beginning to get used to the game.  It's pretty addicting!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're going to hate Wave 11 :). If you didn't read it, you can go back to the menu and select set 2 after you die to automatically start at wave 7.

Posted Image

#7 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

NO!! There is something wrong on the zip. I cant play it.

#8 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

NO!! There is something wrong on the zip. I cant play it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Works fine for me. I'll put up a box.net mirror.

Woot, 27370 is my top score so far (with out cheating of course.) I had to get the the final set of enemies! You can actually get 10 thousand points in 1 wave if you know which one it is.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 27 September 2007 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#9 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

You're going to hate Wave 11 :). If you didn't read it, you can go back to the menu and select set 2 after you die to automatically start at wave 7.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? That's good. Is that what the '.ini' file is for?

#10 Lcldlstheway

Lcldlstheway

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

pretty neat!

-it was kind of hard to see
-no directions
-can't turn off sound
-difficult to quit the game

i still like it anyway.

#11 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but that logo has got to be changed... come on man, lens flares are so 90's! :)

#12 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but that logo has got to be changed...  come on man, lens flares are so 90's!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose if I want to make it look bad :).

Edited by STARFOXROX, 27 September 2007 - 11:14 PM.

Posted Image

#13 DarkPlanet

DarkPlanet

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:35 AM

Great game! First SHMUP I've ever played, and I really liked this one. Its earned a place in my heart... err, hard drive.

#14 moshboy

moshboy

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

Nice stuff STARFOX.. I really enjoyed the mechanics of this one. I have no real complaints.. hmm.. maybe the sound effects could've taken less of a backseat to the music but that is pretty minor. I put up another mirror.

http://www.planetfre...load/Decobliss/

#15 Bursar

Bursar

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

After I ran through the Vista convertor, it played fine.

It's a pretty decent game, but you need to change the way you quit the game. Why make it so awkward? Just let people hit the Esc key, or have a menu system that's easier to navigate.

#16 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

Nice game. The rail idea is pretty cool, the game's got a nice background effect and the explosions and all that looks pretty hot too.

I recognize some of the enemy behaviour from one of my own games, but I guess that might just be a coincidence :)

There are some things that I'll have to complain about:
-The enemies and the backgrounds blend in too much.
-The player's bullets and the enemies' bullets should not look the same.
-The enemies' bullets blend in too much with the background.
-The boss looks a bit ugly, to be honest. The parts that it's made of look very clunky and you can tell that they were drawn in a very primitive application (MS Paint or the built in sprite editor).
-Mouse aim is good for the casual gamers, but most hardcore shmup freaks won't like it. At least not in a vertical shoot 'em up such as this one. Mouse input in a shmup usually works best in arena shooters.

Suggestions:
-The enemies can have the same hue as the background but maybe you can increase the saturation to make them stand out.
-The enemies' bullets needs to have a different look from the player's bullets. And a different colour from the backgroungd.
-Use photoshop or gimp to create slicker boss graphics. Let them also blend in with the background a bit, but not too much.

Very good for a first shmup! I hope you find some good inspiration and come up with some good ideas and make another one some day :)

#17 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

Nice game. The rail idea is pretty cool, the game's got a nice background effect and the explosions and all that looks pretty hot too.

I recognize some of the enemy behaviour from one of my own games, but I guess that might just be a coincidence :GM130:

There are some things that I'll have to complain about:
-The enemies and the backgrounds blend in too much.
-The player's bullets and the enemies' bullets should not look the same.
-The enemies' bullets blend in too much with the background.
-The boss looks a bit ugly, to be honest. The parts that it's made of look very clunky and you can tell that they were drawn in a very primitive application (MS Paint or the built in sprite editor).
-Mouse aim is good for the casual gamers, but most hardcore shmup freaks won't like it. At least not in a vertical shoot 'em up such as this one. Mouse input in a shmup usually works best in arena shooters.

Suggestions:
-The enemies can have the same hue as the background but maybe you can increase the saturation to make them stand out.
-The enemies' bullets needs to have a different look from the player's bullets. And a different colour from the backgroungd.
-Use photoshop or photoshop to create slicker boss graphics. Let them also blend in with the background a bit, but not too much.

Very good for a first shmup! I hope you find some good inspiration and come up with some good ideas and make another one some day :GM130:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You say "the boss." You must not have gotten far :GM130:. If I change the boss graphics, it will stand out from the rest of the graphics. Everything was made in the same program (built in paint, except for a few gradients and such with photoshop.)

I know I'm suppose to use the advice people give me, but I really don't want to change the coloring and background. Trust me, you get used to it. I don't notice anything anymore, so changing it will probably make me play worse :unsure: .

The game would play horribly without the mouse. I thought about a method in the beginning, and it would make me have to dull the game down considerably. I suppose if you want a dull game, I can make one, but if I did it that way, then almost all of the bosses and enemies would have to shoot in a more orderly pattern along with very simple movement. Another reason the game would have to be dulled down is because it would be extremely hard!

I suppose I could change the enemy bullets, but I was really hoping to only have to fix glitches from now on, which is why I'm so neglecting to change things.

I will however make escape quit the game in the menu... Actually, why I'm at it I might as well change the saturation.

Oh yeah, and the game contains a cheat... That's all I can say (control something something *cough* *cough*)

EDIT: Escape now exits the game at the menu and the enemies are less saturated.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 28 September 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

This is cool! But there are some cons.

- Its too confusing!! The buletts are the same from player to enemy and the colors are a bit distracting.

- The first boss its too hard. ( thats for me, because I'm no master at playing this.)

- There was too much friction for me, and the gameplay is hard.

- Why are there pixeled graphics with those amazing backgrounds? The player, enemyes and boss, need a more photshop-ed look.(more shiny, etc)

Anyway, nice game. I found a way to get some combos, like pressing the RMB and the LMB at the same time and aim to the center. When the enemyes appear, they colide with the player shoots. Its a easy way to kill them.

#19 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

This is cool! But there are some cons.

- Its too confusing!! The buletts are the same from player to enemy and the colors are a bit distracting.

- The first boss its too hard. ( thats for me, because I'm no master at playing this.)

- There was too much friction for me, and the gameplay is hard.

- Why are there pixeled graphics with those amazing backgrounds? The player, enemyes and boss, need a more photshop-ed look.(more shiny, etc)

Anyway, nice game. I found a way to get some combos, like pressing the RMB and the LMB at the same time and aim to the center. When the enemyes appear, they colide with the player shoots. Its a easy way to kill them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not changing the graphics. I don't feel like going through the crappy alpha channels.

I'm just going to say the best way to maintain focus is to look for, and dodge white. That's why I put a white glow around the player and on the bullets. I suppose I could put white glows around all enemies if it really becomes a problem.

Wait, you want it to be more slidey???

I generally spray bullets back and forth and then pick off the remaining ones with the laser. Usually I kill all of them before the combo restarts.

Is Theta Games the only one that's got the chance to use a targa special?

Posted Image

#20 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:11 AM

I think the graphics are fine. They're a pleasant a blend of retrostyled graphics and 'over-the-top' lighting effects (especially with the explosions). That Targa is indeed pretty sweet. Does it work on bosses? I haven't gotten to the second boss yet (Level 11 is pretty tough! :unsure: )

Edited by thetagames, 29 September 2007 - 01:11 AM.

#21 gmakerdude

gmakerdude

GMC Member

• 545 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

this is a great game! 10/10. addictiong gameplay, awesome music, and really cool sprites. that was really awesome.

#22 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

YAY two pages!

#23 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:57 AM

Trust me, you get used to it. I don't notice anything anymore, so changing it will probably make me play worse.

Of course you get used to it. Especially if you've played the game a thousand times during the development process and know exactly how the game plays. If you want your players to have a pleasant experience that they will want to come back to, then you should consider changing this, because it's a fundamental flaw, and this particular effect doesn't even look that amazing to begin with.

The game would play horribly without the mouse.

I'm not saying you should change it for this particular game, but do take it into consideration for future games.

I thought about a method in the beginning, and it would make me have to dull the game down considerably. I suppose if you want a dull game, I can make one, but if I did it that way, then almost all of the bosses and enemies would have to shoot in a more orderly pattern along with very simple movement. Another reason the game would have to be dulled down is because it would be extremely hard!

You obviously haven't played many shoot 'em ups. There are tons of them where you can't aim with the mouse, and most of them have a lot more bullets and interesting patterns than your game comes close to.

I know I'm suppose to use the advice people give me, but I really don't want to.

You don't need to. But the next time you make a similar game, keep the suggestions in the back of your head, and you'll see that some of them were actually very good. Also, I have a feeling that you'd change your mind on most of the suggestions given if you took some time to try them out. Can't blame you though, I'm a lazy pecker myself :unsure:

#24 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:25 AM

Trust me, you get used to it. I don't notice anything anymore, so changing it will probably make me play worse.

Of course you get used to it. Especially if you've played the game a thousand times during the development process and know exactly how the game plays. If you want your players to have a pleasant experience that they will want to come back to, then you should consider changing this, because it's a fundamental flaw, and this particular effect doesn't even look that amazing to begin with.

The game would play horribly without the mouse.

I'm not saying you should change it for this particular game, but do take it into consideration for future games.

I thought about a method in the beginning, and it would make me have to dull the game down considerably. I suppose if you want a dull game, I can make one, but if I did it that way, then almost all of the bosses and enemies would have to shoot in a more orderly pattern along with very simple movement. Another reason the game would have to be dulled down is because it would be extremely hard!

You obviously haven't played many shoot 'em ups. There are tons of them where you can't aim with the mouse, and most of them have a lot more bullets and interesting patterns than your game comes close to.

I know I'm suppose to use the advice people give me, but I really don't want to.

You don't need to. But the next time you make a similar game, keep the suggestions in the back of your head, and you'll see that some of them were actually very good. Also, I have a feeling that you'd change your mind on most of the suggestions given if you took some time to try them out. Can't blame you though, I'm a lazy pecker myself :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the sounds of it, you haven't gotten very far. More interesting patterns and enemies come in later sets. You can edit the ini file to check them out. I have played plenty of shoot 'em ups. Don't say things just because I want a game to be a little more original (even though mouse aiming is far from it.)

I've played just about all of your shoot 'em ups. And yours too sometimes make me loose track of the player... A lot... A WHOLE lot... With out that effect the background looks extremely boring, and even more so it makes it look like your ship isn't going anywhere.

The background effect looked more "amazing" before, but I dulled it down. I tried dulling it down more, but then it looked bad. I can't really think of anything else for a background effect. I suppose I could do something like you and have some sort of abstract shapes in the background, but I'm sick of the full out retro style of games. You put a good blend of it in your games, but where is your full out photo shop graphics :GM130:?

The main reason I used the mouse is due to the rail movement. I'd have to do a lot of math to get position correct and make it make sense. Everything would have to be within a certain boundary, and my original plan was to make it always shoot towards the center of the screen... which would have increased math and angle calculations even more. The way it is now allows me to have more enemies on the screen at once.

All of your suggestions have been tried besides the different enemy bullet graphics.

The last reason the mouse aims is because... I wanted rotating turrets :GM130:.

Oh yeah, and the bosses don't blend in with the background because I wanted them to have a distinct look from other enemies. I'm not sure how well I captured it, but bosses only blend in with the background if a shield is causing it and all bosses use red lasers. The bosses would have looked even worse if not for Dark Flame's suggestion... I'd say the 3rd boss looks the coolest.

I hope someone gets to the last boss. It has a really cool attack. ARRAYS! :GM130:

Edited by STARFOXROX, 29 September 2007 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

#25 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

Heres a review as requested..

Graphics: 8.5/10
Sounds: 8.7/10
GamePlay: 9/10

Total Score: 8.7/10

Improvement Suggestions:
More Enemys
Difficulty Settings

Comments:
I liked this truely. The graphics matched everything. I liked how almost everything changed to the backround's color. Though i had trouble exiting, when you had to move your mouse. You should have a difficulty setting like me. (Since i'm not a good expert in these types of games)
Though it was confusing when the enemy shots were the same color as mine, making me explode several times. I loved the way of the explosion, gotta like that, the nudge too. Keep making great games!
(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#26 Biohazard01234

Biohazard01234

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

10/10
The most faced paced, full of action, beautiful arcade scrolling games I have ever played.

The color shceme is AWSOME.
Challenging - the color of bullets being similar to enemies makes it even funner and even more challenging which just means you have to pay attention.

Edited by Biohazard01234, 02 October 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#27 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

Heres a review as requested..

Graphics: 8.5/10
Sounds: 8.7/10
GamePlay: 9/10

Total Score: 8.7/10

Improvement Suggestions:
More Enemys
Difficulty Settings

Comments:
I liked this truely. The graphics matched everything. I liked how almost everything changed to the backround's color. Though i had trouble exiting, when you had to move your mouse. You should have a difficulty setting like me. (Since i'm not a good expert in these types of games)
Though it was confusing when the enemy shots were the same color as mine, making me explode several times. I loved the way of the explosion, gotta like that, the nudge too. Keep making great games!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Frosty. You can exit the game at the menu by hitting escape.

I did think of adding a difficulty setting, but it would be hard to do when you die in one hit. I could make the enemies shoot less, however.

More enemies appear later on in the game. I wasn't really sure how to create the difficulty curve, but in the later levels, there's over 60 enemies at once (along with technically a 50 segmented enemy.)

Posted Image

#28 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Pretty good. Background is a little distracting. Them music was pretty good, but also had weird sounds to it.

Graphics are pretty nice, though there were some spots that could use some improvement.

Overall its a decent shooter. =)

#29 RoboBOT

RoboBOT

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

Well done, I like it. I'm not terribly good at it, though. I'm defeated repeatedly by wave 4 or 5. I didn't have any problems with your graphics or background effects. I liked them. Some instruction before playing would be nice, though.

Visit RoboBOT
"The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb.” -Marshall McLuhan
Text Files Example | Healthbars Tutorial | 3d Arrays Scripts
For all things Game Maker, check out my Links Resource

-I use GM7 Pro-

#30 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

Ah, sick! The effects in this thing look amazing!
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#31 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1013 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Would you mind if I put this game in my website? In the Game Reviews section.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently working on Project Funky 3D

#32 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

Would you mind if I put this game in my website? In the Game Reviews section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, as long as you credit me.

Posted Image

#33 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hey, guess what! I found Decombliss on the same Czech game site that has my game R-Theta II. Here is a link:

http://pc.hrej.cz/pl...kada/decobliss/

#34 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:42 AM

Hey, guess what!  I found Decombliss on the same Czech game site that has my game R-Theta II.  Here is a link:

http://pc.hrej.cz/pl...kada/decobliss/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, what the crap is with that??? Does it say anything about the glitch. I haven't updated the game because no one has been able to get it yet ^_^ (You can't experience it until Boss Mode, and it doesn't really effect gameplay).

Seriously dude, what is with that???? :lol: :P <_<

EDIT: Lol, there is no chance of me translating that correctly :o. I can't tell if they like it or not :(.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 05 October 2007 - 12:48 AM.

Posted Image

#35 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

Whoa, what the crap is with that??? Does it say anything about the glitch. I haven't updated the game because no one has been able to get it yet ^_^ (You can't experience it until Boss Mode, and it doesn't really effect gameplay).

Seriously dude, what is with that????  :lol:  :P  <_<

EDIT: Lol, there is no chance of me translating that correctly :o. I can't tell if they like it or not :(.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I wish I could read Czech too. My game R-Theta II is on that site as well, (here)and I can't tell what they are saying about it. I've tried various translation programs, but they all are awful. If anyone reading this is Czech, could you please help us out?

They gave Decombliss a 7/10, which appears to be very good, because I saw some very polished, full 3D games on there that got 2/10. I think R-Theta II got a 4.

I haven't noticed this glitch, because I can't run boss mode yet. I'm still stuck on that level with the walls coming from both sides. It's pretty hard! The walls kind of remind me of the grey rectangles in the old game Xevious; especially when you have to shoot enemies and avoid such rectangles at the same time. This has been done in SHMUP's before, but not in the way that you did it.

#36 chris_kurz3

chris_kurz3

GMC Member

• 219 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:24 AM

WOW this game looks great and plays great. I like how you gave it a bit of a twist by putting the ship on that crescent rail, thats a really cool idea.

#37 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

I did that because I wanted people to get use to the movement. I don't think people would even move up and down without that stage :). Though in areas such as the 4 boss it becomes necessary.

Is it just me, or does everyone compliment my effects :GM6:?

I'll probably show a screen shot of the final boss later today.

Posted Image

#38 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

Here is a picture of the final boss. He has two attacks:

1) He spins around shooting out bullets in four directions. The more you destroy him, the faster he spins and shoots.

2) He dashes off the screen and a series of lines fills the room. He then dashes a long the lines extremely fast in a path. If you're in that path, consider yourself dead. If you get lucky, he may not land on the path your on, so you can get out of the way before he dashes across the line.

He consists of four parts coming out of a main ship. Like you, he rides along rails and has a more "standard" ship like appearance.

Posted Image

#39 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

is that the boss in the bottom left corner?

#40 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

is that the boss in the bottom left corner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep ;)! I didn't think I got him in the picture. He moves really fast.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 10 October 2007 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

#41 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:27 AM

lol looks kind of like when you watch an advert to a new movie....but you never see the monster properly

EDIT: woot 3 pages

Edited by DarkFlame, 12 October 2007 - 02:27 AM.

#42 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

Wow! It rocks

#43 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm taking Cactus's advice and changing the enemy bullets and making the bosses look a bit cooler. I'm also going to change a few things in the later levels, but I'm sure no one will notice right now :). I should have it out by tomorrow.

Posted Image

#44 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

UPDATE

Finally giving up my pride (and due to some boredom), I have now changed a few things:

-Different enemy bullets
-More digital boss appearance
-Seeker enemies now glow
-Boss mode glitch has been fixed

Enjoy!

Posted Image

#45 crash2108

crash2108

GMC Member

• 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

It's beautiful, but too ****ing hard. My record for staying alive is 4 seconds. Make it so you don't randomly explode.

Edited by crash2108, 14 October 2007 - 11:35 PM.

#46 retrogamer

retrogamer

Button Masher

• 468 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

Well, what can I say. The style of the game is really nice. Everything just fits in. I really like the effect of the blurred lines when you move the mouse. The difficulty is above average, some may find it hard, but I really like this type of game. I am surely keeping this in my games folder. I would give at around a 9/10.

#47 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:41 PM

I like the updates (that I have seen so far; I still can't get past the level with the vertical walls that come from opposite sides). I want to see this second boss!

Keep it up! Hooray for polar coordinates! :(

~ Theta Games

#48 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

Real nice concept, a few things I experienced though:

- Lack of sound effects bothered me a bit.
- Lack of warning, it'd be nice to have something like 'Terrain approaching from the bottom!' or something rather than just Wave#/Boss.
- Contrast was too low. Sometimes it'd be real hard to seperate the bullets from the background-effects. (Especially the ellipse-shaped glowing effects looked alot like the bullets sometimes.)

Keep it up!

#49 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Real nice concept, a few things I experienced though:

- Lack of sound effects bothered me a bit.
- Lack of warning, it'd be nice to have something like 'Terrain approaching from the bottom!' or something rather than just Wave#/Boss.
- Contrast was too low. Sometimes it'd be real hard to seperate the bullets from the background-effects. (Especially the ellipse-shaped glowing effects looked alot like the bullets sometimes.)

Keep it up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was trying to put in a good shooting sound effect, but alas, I had problems. If you really want me to add one, I'll probably make an awesome one with Reason. The reason I haven't done one yet is because it'd make the file size bigger, and if I made it mp3... Actually, I guess I could do that :)

The second thing you mentioned leads me to believe one thing: YOU BEAT THE FIRST BOSS :P! Yarg! I knew I should have done it. I was contemplating it like crazy, but I figured "Hey, you can see the curve part coming... Good enough." If I do do it, what do you suggest? I suppose making it say "Terrain Approaching" would do the trick :huh:.

Yet another contrast comment... I really should try to get it fixed. Like Cactus said, I've played the game so much I don't notice it anymore, so it makes me not want to change it as much. I should probably do it anyways. My friends get use to it after a while, but that doesn't mean it takes some time.

Posted Image

#50 areus

areus

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

Did not read past posts to see if anyone else has said this but I hate more then anything in the universe the shooting controls in this game. I should not have to target with my mouse in a shump. I just wanna be able to press spacebar and shoot. When you take your eyes off your own ship to target you lose sight of your own ship and get hit. Its almost stupid the way you have to control yourself and for that reason I can't fully enjoy this game. The only reason this game is hard is the controls. Other then that the GFX and sound look great.

5/10 "For GFX and Sound only"