Photo

Unoriginal Game Ideas, Aspects, Techniques...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:24 AM

i decided to start this topic about discussing whats very unoriginal in most games,
such as stories, gameplay aspects, or level design. we can get some ideas for original things without having to give out our original ideas we thought of. and also try to discuss ways to change the overused ideas into slightly more original ideas.

heres a rule:try not to post too many rants

example:
i think that a very mediocre story aspect in some shooters(FPSs, TDS, Platform shooters) is the lone rambo complex. where something simliar to the following were in the story:
you are -insert cheesy name here-, you are the commander in the -insert corny squad unit name here-, you have be sent in to -insert corny infiltration mission here-, the rest of your squad was killed by-insert typical low-drama massacre of multiple squad mates- you must now complete the mission yourself....

i cant really think of a way to change this aspect to make it better...

#2 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

aw no rants.. then again i guess i cant complain cuz i have no idea what you want us to talk about. do you want me to say what is boring in a game, then try to think of how to make it origonal? or do you want me to tell you what is origonal in a game and talk about how to amke it..more... ok so that was a dumb thing to say but..jsut.. what exactly do you want.

#3 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:39 AM

Well, even though I use ripped graphics, I attempt to incorporate as much originality as possible. When some people see a fangame, they go "Oh whoopee, another freakin' fangame." I however, look past that. If it's got a nice story and some original aspects, it could be a good game (provided that the engine is good).

You make a good point. Anything can be good with a little origniality.

#4 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:37 AM

aw no rants.. then again i guess i cant complain cuz i have no idea what you want us to talk about. do you want me to say what is boring in a game, then try to think of how to make it origonal? or do you want me to tell you what is origonal in a game and talk about how to amke it..more... ok so that was a dumb thing to say but..jsut.. what exactly do you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well just state what cliches, mediocres, and overused things in an unoriginal game annoy you, and probably suggest ways to make them more original, hopefully people understand what things in their games are annoying (in terms of being unoriginal of course)

Well, even though I use ripped graphics, I attempt to incorporate as much originality as possible. When some people see a fangame, they go "Oh whoopee, another freakin' fangame." I however, look past that. If it's got a nice story and some original aspects, it could be a good game (provided that the engine is good).
You make a good point. Anything can be good with a little origniality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

who made what point?

Edited by Explicit, 06 September 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#5 funcravers

funcravers

GMC Member

• 1087 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

The most anoying thing ever is everyone makes the same game, same name, same colors, same everything. BLOBS!

#6 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

yes, BLOBS, EGGS, BALLS, SQUARES...MCs based off simple geometric icons are really generic, we need alive things! dont be lazy to take time to sprite it out, or find someone to sprite a better character, than simple shape

#7 Eoi

Eoi

GMC Member

• 972 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

I don't mind stories being cliché as long as they are immersive.
I don't mind blob characters either, if they fit the game.

Games need to bring the player to another world. Thats why I play games, read books, watch films etc. to get away from the stressful life and just relax...

#8 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

One of my hundreds of insane, swirling game ideas- but one of the ones I really like- is a fantasy game that is actually quite unoriginal. You must collect five elemental sigils, you can upgrade weapons, you gain levels... But I like to see this as 'tried and tested' rather than 'cliche'. If a game is executed well enough, it's going to be good whatever happens.

Oh, and for some reason I am addicted to 'ancient civilisation' storylines. I just like the air of mystery and magic that comes along with them.

Edited by Frostblade, 06 September 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#9 netbreak

netbreak

GMC Member

• 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

Personally I like rambo style games. I like to be out alone fighting the enemy (that's why I don't like episode 1 much). Mainly because of the Allie AI bumping in to me.

Relative to gamemaker games. I don't mind ripoffs, I mind that the games suck(badly made) or just don't have "flow" (as it's been discussed in other topics) - though I made some of these, but I didn't distribute any.

In my experience, there are some things that I don't like. Over dramatism over "love" (like in devil may cry, don't take offense, I love the game, hate the ending).
Also I don't like mmorpgs that much because (has I stated previously I believe) the whole concept of "You are the REAL hero, and so is he and she and it."

Edited by netbreak, 06 September 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#10 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

story lines to me dont have to be amazingly origonal. i like collection quest games. what need to be origonal is the gameplay. but it still doesnt need to be totally origonal.

i think things that really suck in games, are things that are made hard, by jsut being annoying. baten kaitos is a godo example (its a great example of so many other donts i.e the giant wtf beetle robots). one puzzle they had was a dungeon made of rooms that were all the same annyoing idea. they smashed the screen and placed peices of it all over. so one minute you are on one side fo the screen then you pop somewhere totaly diffrent, also you cant figure anything out becasue every 30 seconds you have to fight a 10 minute battle.

stuff liek that is just a pain.

i do like it when you have to infultrate a base, but only when its semi realistic. like if a gaurd sees you and opnce screams "hey!" the entire building is alerted. also when the entire complex is filled with only gaurds. i mean the entire freakin thing, even when you get to the room they are gaurding you fight a gaurd in a giant robot suit or something.

#11 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

i do like it when you have to infultrate a base, but only when its semi realistic. like if a gaurd sees you and opnce screams "hey!" the entire building is alerted. also when the entire complex is filled with only gaurds. i mean the entire freakin thing, even when you get to the room they are gaurding you fight a gaurd in a giant robot suit or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i know that most things arent unoriginal, but most are implemented in a really corny way, such as the infiltrating a base FULL of guards, it would make sense for a splinter cell or MGS type game, but action games need a better way to implement "the guards" with "action" with "placement" like instead of a few enemys in a room youre supposed to kill to get to the next level, it should be more like progressing through a large map, with many enemies sometimes either are found defending a stronghold to get passed, or popping up somewhere trying to intercept you, a great example of this would be gears of war.

Edited by Explicit, 06 September 2007 - 11:47 PM.

#12 SupernaviX

SupernaviX

GMC Member

• 267 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

One word. Destiny. A random civilian suddenly has to take down the evil overlord because he was somehow destined. Characters can be destined to do stuff, but if that's the whole reason they're doing it, it's pretty obvious you just wanted to make up a story. Also, games without a speech engine/body language I generally ignore. There are exceptions for games where the fighting/competing is good enough to not need them, but this doesn't come up all the time. Games without a way to continue the storyline in-game wind up with just some little cliche paragraph in the help file.

#13 Biggerfish

Biggerfish

GMC Member

• 193 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

Games without a way to continue the storyline in-game wind up with just some little cliche paragraph in the help file.

I'd say that's true for story-based games. If you were playing something like a simple arcade game, or a SHMUP, I feel that it's a bad idea to have an immersing storyline, as people would just ignore it anyway. It would also take away from the game, as you don't want to be interrupted in the middle of the game by even a short stream of text, as that might ruin the 'flow' of the game.

#14 SupernaviX

SupernaviX

GMC Member

• 267 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, but some people try making full-scale platformers and stuff like that, and then the day before release put a topic on the GMC asking if this is a good storyline: you are some guy and you want the golden resource-pack clown head now travel the land to find it.

#15 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

well i know that most things arent unoriginal, but most are implemented in a really corny way, such as the infiltrating a base FULL of guards, it would make sense for a splinter cell or MGS type game, but action games need a better way to implement "the guards" with "action" with "placement" like instead of a few enemys in a room youre supposed to kill to get to the next level, it should be more like progressing through a large map, with many enemies sometimes either are found defending a stronghold to get passed, or popping up somewhere trying to intercept you, a great example of this would be gears of war.

yeah it should be more like a few guards on the outside, heavily armored. then the inside should have more people, automated defence turrets, and capable minions who can do more things than, krug smash, or, i have 7331 haxors.

--

another thing i HATE, are random bursts of collection quests. what i mean by this is, for example, windwaker. at one point in the game suddenly its "go find 8 hidden triforce peices that are scattered all over the entire planet, we have no idea where they are, good luck". they do that in metriod prime too and it seems to get progressivley more annoying.

MP1: go find 12 artifacts scattered aroudn the world

MP2E: go find the 12 somethings (i forget) they are also scattered randomly around the world, only THEY'RE INVISIBLE!

MP3C: go find al the energy cells. they are not scattered around the planet, so much, the entire galaxy. dont worry they are not invisible, you cant see them untill you are right next to them, but they arent invisible or anything!

collecting things is cool and all, but... i mean.. you need to knwo where they are most fo the time, and there shouldnt be alot unless its the entire ponit of the game...but if its the entire game, then thats a diffrent story so i will not go there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users