Game File-Type: Stand-Alone Executable
Resolution: Doesn't change

> Lost game files
> Found game files
> Game updated

Here's the latest version of the demo.
All kinds of suggestions are welcomed.
Download 1.3

I've included a Secret Room for demo purposes.
To access it, you must...
Spoiler

Changes from v1.2:
-Doors that don't just disappear, but can be closed, too.
-Nicer looking carnage.
-Food. (No use in the demo.)
-Line of sight.

I'm now working on:
-Replenishing HP between levels with previously collected food rations. - Functional
*(Just need to be balanced after I get all the levels in.)
-Rest of the game and story.
*(Any good writers...?)
- Done
-Radio Scanner
Posted Image
Some of the things I need feedback about:
-Game difficulty.
-Bugs, obviously.

Edited by JTR, 29 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#2 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

No real graphics yet? I have to say, that might deter people who are graphics-oriented. From a gameplay standpoint, this is very smooth. The enemy zombie AI is pretty good, and the shooting is very accurate. Already, I like your choice of weapons. (it is a large number of weapons that truly makes Zombie shooter games good) The sound effects are also good. I have a few suggestions:

- Will the final sprites be as small as you drew those mask circles? I personally think you should either make all the sprites bigger, or decrease the view size. Otherwise, there is just too much on the screen at a time.

- Make the sub-machine-gun a little less powerful, (because it is easier to hit enemies) along with the assault rifle.

Overall, I think this is a good idea. I'm sure you could add creative twists to the pretty generic game genre of 'Zombie Shooters,' as you created the innovative game Death Worm.

~ Theta Games

#3 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

-I kept the graphics simple to emphasize the tactical standpoints. Or something like that.
-There'll be views in the finished game.
-SMG equals Pistol in damage, and AR equals Revolver. Won't be a problem if I don't give too much ammo for them.
-Thank you.

The Black Tome

#4 Hecore

Hecore

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Pretty good and seems very solid - a few suggestions, however.

- Can the small rifle actually kill anything? It was the only weapon that would only injure people and zombies.

- It seems far too hard to get yourself killed.

- Consider adding a melee weapon or two without ammo requirements? Like a baseball bat or a lead pipe.

- Overall weapon damage seems too high. A single pistol shot was just about as powerful as any other weapon round.

- Also consider adding grenades/molatov cocktails? Just another way to switch up weapon variety as most guns act very similar.

- I would also consider changing the sprites. While the circles do seem more tactical (like the zombie outbreak simulation) I think it would add a lot to the same if zombies actually looked like zombies.

Other then the above suggestions there really isn't that much to improve upon in your engine - LOS works great, zombies work pretty well, the weapon system seems very solid, and it has heaps of potential overall.

#5 Nobody

Nobody

GMC Member

• 335 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

I love this. The style and weapons... I don't know, probably my weak spot for solid engines and zombie simulations.

#6 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Nice.

GHG WUZ ERE

#7 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Well, it's a pretty solid engine, and it looks good.

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#8 cyberdudequestor

cyberdudequestor

GMC Member

• 378 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:03 AM

You have put Survival Crisis Z's sounds to good use.

Sounds from the game can be found at totallyscrewed.net

look for the game "Survival Crisis Z"

As for your game engine, it's cool.

#9 ZibboFlorenzano

ZibboFlorenzano

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Sorry for responding so late, I've only just noticed this thread, but I'd like to point you towards a fairly similar game I made some time ago, Omar's Oyster Outing.

The page: http://www.sinistersystems.com/omarsoo

The download: http://www.sinisters...terOuting11.exe

The screenshot:
Posted Image

Have fun!

#10 Uber-Angus

Uber-Angus

Teh Angus

• 854 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

Why don't you just make a new topic?
Anyway, I'm downloading now, JTR.
I'll edit when done, or just reply again if someone else has. :blink:

Is... not very active here. (I use Uber-Angus@live.com.au for e-mails and MSN though)

#11 Darryl_Holmes

Darryl_Holmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Very nice, Very Smooth, Very Stylish.

Its near perfect, only thing i would change is i would set reload to R.

4 ninjas out of 5

:D :( :GM6: :) :blink:

#12 Josh Sullivan

Josh Sullivan

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thats cool, i am a big fan of zombie games. Good start on this can't wait to see more.

#13 Angelcape

Angelcape

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

I love the elements of civilians in this game, but civilians seem a bit too stupid.

#14 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:17 AM

Update: Locks & doors, fear & loathing.

Also, OOO is awesome.

Edited by JTR, 09 August 2008 - 03:46 AM.

The Black Tome

#15 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

nice engine you got here, kinda like the early stages of my zombie game, but not as many variables and complicated AI as this.

not sure how you used "fear" as a factor in this one, what does it do?

had a bit of "questyness" in it, nice.

very limited ammo, realistic approach i guess, but, a lot of weapons in a grouping of a few houses, this like, canada or something?

though you got very far with the AI(very hard to do for a zombie sim, so kudos for being ahead of most), it needs a bit of tweaking, like how i could jump behind a tree quick, and the zombie would go away..

could randomize the number of health that goes down, so there are chances of weakening, or headshots.

zombies should go after you when shot at, or at least move faster than usual

Edited by Explicit, 09 August 2008 - 09:34 AM.

#16 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

A JTR project? it is a must that I try it.

EDIT: Whoa! this is a pretty solid/cool engine you have here! I think that it would be so much more fun if you could make it online and playable with friends!! like one huge world of zombies and people log in and out, form parties, that would be a really cool game.

Edited by Senar, 09 August 2008 - 12:50 PM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#17 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

not sure how you used "fear" as a factor in this one, what does it do?
If distance to nearest visible zombie (dz) < fear, accuracy-=(fear-dz)/4. Fear is lowered by 2.5 every time you kill a zed.
very limited ammo, realistic approach i guess, but, a lot of weapons in a grouping of a few houses, this like, canada or something?
Just for demonstration purposes.
though you got very far with the AI(very hard to do for a zombie sim, so kudos for being ahead of most), it needs a bit of tweaking, like how i could jump behind a tree quick, and the zombie would go away..
That's reasonable. I'll just have to try and fit a fix for that in the code somewhere.
could randomize the number of health that goes down, so there are chances of weakening, or headshots.
There's a Hp-system for them already. I could weaken them further by lowering their SPD. Headshots would need a system that wouldn't make it too easy.
zombies should go after you when shot at, or at least move faster than usual
Nah, zombies aren't that smart.

:D Thanks for that!
EDIT: Whoa! this is a pretty solid/cool engine you have here! I think that it would be so much more fun if you could make it online and playable with friends!! like one huge world of zombies and people log in and out, form parties, that would be a really cool game.
Of course that would be great, but I'll give it more thought after the single-player story mode is done.

The Black Tome

#18 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

:lol: Thanks for that!
Of course that would be great, but I'll give it more thought after the single-player story mode is done.

alright cool, well just know this engine is really great. Keep up the good work.

EDIT:
played it a second time and killed every zombie ;)

Edited by Senar, 10 August 2008 - 12:49 AM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#19 Archangel7x

Archangel7x

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

This engine is definitely looking good.
It seems very solid, I must have played it about 4 times when I first downloaded it.
But the civilians seem pretty stupid as they don't run away from zombies and such.
Other than that I like it and cant wait till the full game is completed.

#20 GeoS

GeoS

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Great, well made engine. The fear system is a little over the top, but I like it. It reminds me of Zombie Panic's weight system, where carrying an extra shotgun suddenly makes you move like you've got 20KG weights strapped to your legs.

There's a lot of possibilities you could pursue with this but in the short term... more levels so we can play more!

#21 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

This engine is definitely looking good.
It seems very solid, I must have played it about 4 times when I first downloaded it.
But the civilians seem pretty stupid as they don't run away from zombies and such.
Other than that I like it and cant wait till the full game is completed.

ohhh, so that is what orange is. haha I always kill them =[

knowing that, they definatly are in need of an AI update, and a purpose to the game ^_^

Great, well made engine. The fear system is a little over the top, but I like it. It reminds me of Zombie Panic's weight system, where carrying an extra shotgun suddenly makes you move like you've got 20KG weights strapped to your legs.

There's a lot of possibilities you could pursue with this but in the short term... more levels so we can play more!

This reminds me, what will be the common goal for every level? [out side of finding keys to get into buildings and retrieve ammo]

in my opinion this needs to be real cool and original because i think it will make or break your game. :P

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#22 harry_w_dredge

harry_w_dredge

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

and it looks good.

did you have your eyes closed or something??
Since starting to edit my War Engine again im most likely to round again so.. yea.
If You Download My Sample PM me with what you think

#23 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

and it looks good.

did you have your eyes closed or something??

...Hey!!! ^_^ You can replace the colored circles with anything you personally prefer by using your imagination.
You see, the visual design was entirely intentional.
GeoS --> The fear system is gonna get some adjustments.

This reminds me, what will be the common goal for every level? [out side of finding keys to get into buildings and retrieve ammo]

Finding fuel for your vehicle will be one of the reasons for some particular levels, and of course there will be secondary "missions," in addition to the main "quest." (Like rescuing relatives/friends from tight situations.)

Thanks for the comments, folks. I'll give you a proper demo before the final version is done.

Edited by JTR, 11 August 2008 - 12:47 PM.

The Black Tome

#24 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

The FPS kept diving when i was playing ^_^

#25 Clakes707

Clakes707

GMC Member

• 1036 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

Nice game. Really well done. You should make it so that some of the civillians will occasionally help you, if tehre are no zombies near, by giving you ammo, health, etc.

#26 QMA

QMA

GMC Member

• 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Nice game. Really well done. You should make it so that some of the civillians will occasionally help you, if tehre are no zombies near, by giving you ammo, health, etc.

Awesome, smooth engine. I really like where this is going.

Suggestions:

Visuals... Ugh, there is so much to be done here, like adding branches to the trees.

1. When the player collides with a tree, the branch alpha drops to .5 or something
2. I have some unused sprites that I could give you, along with the code for their sections
3. Your going to have to add animations and muzzle flashes with guns
4. Darkness. This is a zombie game, and darkness with a smooth light engine could really work with this out

Sounds... These really set the mood for a zombie game.

1. Try 3d environmental sounds, generators humming, wind blowing, windows slamming... all types of environment sounds can really set the mood.
2. The zombies need to moan, since their brains are rotting.
3. That didn't sound like an AR 15

AI... Awesome (zombies) :D and terrible (civilians) :D

1. Make the civilians run, by reversing zombie AI
2. Let some civilians use weapons like pipes and the like to fight the zombies
3. Let the civilians pick up barricades an use them or even control them like a RTS... That would be awesome.

You should incorporate more Close Quarters Combat weapons into your game, because I don't know many people that keep more than three firearms at their house ;)

1. Pipes, rocks and branches can be made to be both of random size and effectiveness.
2. PM me for gun jam code
3. Reload times should be made random or vary with fear

#27 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

AI... Awesome (zombies) :D and terrible (civilians) :D
thought the same comment, and im sure JTR wont let us down on the civs

1. Make the civilians run, by reversing zombie AI
you dont actually have to reverse the AI of the zombie, just make them run in a random 0-180° angle that is in the same direction of the zombie, simple geometry.

because I don't know many people that keep more than three firearms at their house ;)
funny that you say that because i dont know many people that have had to fight a zombie before
:P

3. Reload times should be made random or vary with fear
this is a rather good suggestion

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#28 DJ J4KE

DJ J4KE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

If i download the game its a .rar file whatever that is so i can't play it.

#29 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

hehe, .rar is like a .zip. It is compressed with WinRar. The only reason why I have it is because i used to be a heavy M.U.G.E.N. player.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#30 Artichoke

Artichoke

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

Image link
Genre/Category: 2D Overhead shooter.
Download Size: 2.94 MB
Game File-Type: Stand-Alone Executable
Resolution: Changes to 800x600
Written In: GameMaker 6.1 (Registered)
Download

Here's the latest version of the engine. (Decided to continue working on it just today.)
All kinds of suggestions are welcomed.
It still needs objectives/story. That part requires some major planning...

Can you please finish ittt??

So far its the best zombie flash game I've ever played!

Well my suggestions are:
-Melee weapons
-Better AI
-Freeroaming ability
-Toggle zombie speeds (Like some of them are rotting more than others; That might change their speeds..idk.)
-Toggle reloading time when fear is higher
-Have civilians follow you sometimes

#31 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

please remind yourself:
if its more than half a year old, refrain from replying to it, especially by saying how the link is dead, because obviously, the link would be dead, after non activity for quite a while...

Edited by Explicit, 22 March 2009 - 12:51 AM.

#32 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

please remind yourself:
if its more than half a year old, refrain from replying to it, especially by saying how the link is dead, because obviously, the link would be dead, after non activity for quite a while...

The Link Has Died.XD
Posted Image

#33 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

hehe, .rar is like a .zip. It is compressed with WinRar. The only reason why I have it is because i used to be a heavy M.U.G.E.N. player.

MUGEN is awesome!
Anyways yes. The Link Is now a zombie.

EDIT:CRud!!!I was the person that posted "The Link Has Died.XD"
:D
I can't even remember....

Edited by mrpeanut188, 17 February 2010 - 04:09 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Dylan93

Dylan93

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

MUGEN is awesome!
Anyways yes. The Link Is now a zombie.

EDIT:CRud!!!I was the person that posted "The Link Has Died.XD"
:D
I can't even remember....

And almost everything you download on the internet is in .rar

BTW this topic is dead

Posted Image

#35 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

(How do you delete useless posts like this one?)

Edited by JTR, 24 January 2011 - 01:12 PM.

The Black Tome

#36 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

I luv bug reports! <3
Would you kindly give me some...?

Edited by JTR, 24 January 2011 - 02:33 AM.

The Black Tome

#37 JWRAC

JWRAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

Well...
1 - The graphics are... small and in my opinion not that great apart from the HUD, but I have nothing against that, because graphics don't necessarily make a game.
I helped a friend of mine make a game called Time Loss, which is still in development but going far, the graphics are just a tiny bit bigger. So this is fine.
However, for this type of game, with small graphics, the other elements have to be quite good for it to work, IE: Story, GamePlay, Mechanics, Features.

2 - To make a point but trying not to seem harsh :S...
I myself am making ANOTHER top down zombie shooter, and I find it funny that a game with this much work, in comparison to mine, has gotten more popularity...
It actually quite annoys me, but I'll let it be and just work more on mine and try to prove them wrong. :)
(I can see if you made Death Worm, then projects like yours would get a fair bit of popularity.)

3 - The story... it's a typical starting point or mid point, but nonetheless a good one, especially for a demo.
However no story features come into play when you are actually playing the game, except for the current objective/s... but I guess that's to keep a nice and simple
way of dealing with the goals in the game.

4 - The gameplay - I rather do quite enjoy! :D
It's hard enough to make you think twice, or even perhaps a third time, but not so hard you'll quit and not come back.
I like the "I'm out of ammo and I can't kill them all" feeling I get, because in reality, it would be a lot like that, and you wish you had more ammo.

5 - The AI, I honestly don't see why people are bragging here... but there is definately some effort, so nice job, it's got a semi-realistic zombie feel to it for sure.
I do like this, but I'd like to see a little more, especially if the other features, like the graphics, don't get upsized in res and detail later.

OVERALL:
A decent start, as the title suggests, it would be better story driven than graphics and action gameplay.
I reckon it makes a fun small and simple game to play.
I prefer this a lot to Zombies, by Jimmynator, simply for the fact that guy has no originality or anything artistically nice in his game.
(I couldn't play his game for 5 minutes without being completely turned off)
Yours, however still in Alpha/WIP... has surpassed quite a few GM games. You show a nice starting effort.

Kind regards.
- Jwrac.

PS:
If you want to see my Zombie Shooter: DeadBase WIP (currently Alpha)
or if you'd like to Email or talk to me on MSN: apotheosis@live.com.au
Maybe Skype?: jwrac-productions

Thanks for reading! :)

#38 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for testing it!

2 - I myself am making ANOTHER top down zombie shooter, and I find it funny that a game with this much work, in comparison to mine, has gotten more popularity...
Don't be sad. If you check the dates from the comments in this topic, you'll see they were made a long time ago, for v1.1, probably before you even started your project.

If by your comparison of "work" you mean the length of the demo, I fully agree. No question about it.
(I tried your game. I'll review it when I manage to complete it first. One of the download links gave me a working copy. Two others, "Unexpected Error.")

3 - However no story features come into play when you are actually playing the game, except for the current objective/s... but I guess that's to keep a nice and simple way of dealing with the goals in the game.
This will improve when I get the whole story done. NPCs with dialogue will be added, and I've also been thinking of giving the character an SW-Radio.

4 - It's hard enough to make you think twice, or even perhaps a third time, but not so hard you'll quit and not come back.
I like the "I'm out of ammo and I can't kill them all" feeling I get, because in reality, it would be a lot like that, and you wish you had more ammo.
Thanks, that's just what I was aiming for.

5 - The AI, I honestly don't see why people are bragging here... but there is definately some effort, so nice job, it's got a semi-realistic zombie feel to it for sure. I do like this, but I'd like to see a little more, especially if the other features, like the graphics, don't get upsized in res and detail later.
You mean you'd like a better AI?

I reckon it makes a fun small and simple game to play.
I prefer this a lot to Zombies, by Jimmynator, simply for the fact that guy has no originality or anything artistically nice in
his game. (I couldn't play his game for 5 minutes without being completely turned off)
Yours, however still in Alpha/WIP... has surpassed quite a few GM games. You show a nice starting effort.
Thank your for the kind words, good sir. I promise I will keep the game smaller and simpler than yours. :lol:

The Black Tome

#39 JWRAC

JWRAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Wow, I see great minds think alike! :)

Thanks for a nice reply, people just usually disagree with me. xD
Anyway, yeah...

Thanks for the consideration! :D

About my game...
Yeah a few other people have mentioned some sort of Unexpected Error Problem, I honestly have no idea what's going on there.
Thanks for Reviewing and stuff, that's awesome of you! :D

The story...
SW-Radio sounds freaking awesome... maybe he could find it in the car? (WHO KNOWS?! :D)
And NPC dialogue would be cool, even if it was simple "Help me" and stuff. =P

About the AI:
Better AI is never a bad thing, having the effort to do it is the problem. (Not that I'm a good AI maker)
The AI is fine as it is, although pulling off something even more interesting would make your game not even need better graphics. (Not that it necessarily does as stated before)

Keeping it simple? :)
Simple Games don't necessarily turn me off, I mean, hell, I first started work on my game because I was a huge fan of "Zombie City" by Jon, Simple-Games. (I'm now actually working alongside him now - it's awesome, he has an upcoming platformer, semi-RPG.)
Simple can be good or bad... At your game's current Aspect and Graphics Thingo... I'd say simple is a good way to go.
But having a good story, not necessarily a good plot mind you, is always a fantastic benefit to Simple. :D

However, for games like mine, Simple doesn't really help, I started simple, but it had a decent resolution, cruddy sprites, no legs, no animation, no lighting, no story...
And then I kinda went overboard, mucked around with the Easy Lighting Tutorial around here somewhere and now I'm determined to make a decent game out of it, Heck, Alpha has less than half the features of Beta... (Beta coming soon DeadBeta Teaser) <- Video doesn't even show anything... So yeah.

Anyway, good to have a nice forum-based chat thingy, it's good to see like-minded GM people here.
PS: I actually never played Death Worm... But I've seen a lot of kids at my schools play it over the years.

If you want to Instant message me:
MSN/Email: apotheosis@live.com.au

Good luck, and wish me the same!
- Jwrac

#40 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Update! LOS makes a heck of a difference! ;)

Edited by JTR, 27 January 2011 - 01:22 AM.

The Black Tome

#41 PSYCHO MANTITS

PSYCHO MANTITS

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

My dear. It's one of the better zombie-related projects on this forum. And that means a lot, believe me! The new LOS system sure can be laggy on my old laptop but the effect when the player hides in the building is soooo worth it. :)

My two cents:
-kicking zombies sure is fun but adding breakable melee weapons (like pipes, axes, chairs etc.) will add to the hopeless-zombie-apocalypse feeling.
-instead of one or easy-normal-hard difficult levels that can be distinguished only by the toughness of enemies and the amount of ammo lying around I'd recommend you putting in a ZOMBIE CREATOR™ - basically a small questionnaire on how the zombies should look like and react - all with the points system to help the player to learn how terrible will be his/her adventure. My quick mashed-up schema. The more points the harder the game.

"Getting Around", affecting the speed of our undead
-shambolic gait, your good ol' slow zombies (0)
-life-like, think of infected in 28 Days Later, can run (3)
-zombified sprinters, can and WILL outrun you (10)

"Strength", affecting the damage dealt to you and the speed of tearing down barricades/doors
-rotting corpse, 0.5 damage and half of the speed (0)
-average, no damage multiplier (2)
-monstrous strength, think of tanks in L4D (8)

"Toughness", affecting the amount of lead they accumulate till dropping down
-nothing special, the basic amount of health (0)
-dead joe average, (2)
-no pain, no feelings - hell, we are wasting ammo here! (10)

"Senses", affecting the player interaction with the horde of zombies
-like the dead, you can sneak past the horde with ease (0)
-like the living, sneaking will be hard but not impossible (2)
-like a hawk, say goodbye to sneaking - you still can lose them around the corners (6)
-THEY KNOW!, all zombies in the huge radius know exactly where you are and will go after you (10)

"Spreading The Infection", affecting the player tactic and the overall feeling of the genre (from zombie shooter to survival horror)
-"only the dead" club, you have to die, just like in your game right now (0)
-bad case of zombie flu, will damage you over time, unless healed with medpacks or zombie cure (plot hook!) (4)
-one bite and you're hooked, hardcore mode, one hit = death (10)

"Special Traits", choose as many as you want, makes the game unique
-"you call that paranormal?", nothing special, just like in your game right now (0)
-acid blood, the blood will damage you over time, melee weapons are now suicide (5)
-THEY WON'T STAY DEAD, all dead will come back when killed, unless burned/buried/touched with the holy objects (10)
-leaping, some of the nearby zombies will suddenly leap on you, deal with care! (5)
-sleepers, looking like a dead corpse but can twitch and bite in near, mix with "one bite and hooked" for the maximum effect (3)
-diseased, their attacks will damage you for short period of time (4)
-horde incoming, the number of zombies is doubled, sheer amount of slow zombies is just as scary as a pack of fast hunters (6)

And the rating:

points difficulty level
0-10 are you even trying? beginner
11-20 one calm day in zombieland easy
22-30 normal
31-40 zombie nightmare hard
41-50 Send more paramedics! impossible
51+ apocalypse ALWAYS BET ON DUKE

And a list of zombie types, ready to use:

MY FIRST ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ZOMBIES (4)
GA: shambolic gait 0
STR: average 2
TGH: dead joe average 2
SNS: like the dead 0
STI: "only the dead" club 0
ST: "you call that paranormal?" 0

ROMERO TYPE ZOMBIES (20)
GA: shambolic gait 0
SNS: like the dead 0
STI: one bite and you're hooked 10
ST: horde incoming 6

28 DAYS LATER ZOMBIES (24)
GA: life-like 3
SNS: like the living 2
STI: one bite and you're hooked 10
ST: leaping 5

THE CLOCK IS TICKING ZOMBIES (35)
TGH: no pain, no feelings 10
SNS: THEY KNOW! 10
STI: "only the dead" club 0
ST: THEY WON'T STAY DEAD 10

THEY CAME FROM THE STARS ZOMBIES (41)
STR: monstrous strength 8
SNS: like a hawk 6
STI: bad case of zombie flu 4
ST: acid blood, leaping, 10

THE DAY THE EARTH DIED ZOMBIES (54)
GA: zombified sprinters 10
STR: monstrous strength 8
SNS: like a hawk 6
STI: bad case of zombie flu 4
ST: acid blood, leaping, hrd incmg 16

This shouldn't be hard to code and implement (not counting your time, though) but after it's all done your game will gain an unique depth and awesomely high replay value.

#42 Rare

Rare

rawr

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Wow. A yoyogames legend. I am definately going to give this a shot.
Your an inspiration.
._.

#43 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

It's so silent... almost too silent... :skull: :skull: :skull: :unsure: :skull: :skull: :skull:

Edited by JTR, 19 June 2011 - 04:54 AM.

The Black Tome

#44 5thman

5thman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

It's so silent... almost too silent... :skull: :skull: :skull: :unsure: :skull: :skull: :skull:

I hope this project isn't dead. I've really been looking forward to it, and I even took the time to review it on yoyogames ages ago. I'll post it here as feedback and encouragement for passers-by to try the demo out.

------------------

It's refreshing to find a GOOD zombie apocalypse on this site once in a while, and I'd call this one the cream of the crop. The graphics and atmosphere are top drawer. With a little tweaking, the gameplay could be moved up to the same drawer.

Graphics are lo-res, endearing, and very well-done. I would suggest making my character look like he's carrying a rifle, though, and not a pistol.

The atmosphere is quite spooky, with falling rain and crashing thunder in the air, and everything beyond my line of sight obscured by blackness. I don't know what's on the other side of the next door or around the next corner and it scares me pretty good. But there are little details that win this engine bonus points, like the ghouls gnawing on my cute little corpse after I die. (EDIT: I encountered a weird glitch once where my disemboweled corpse could still kick the christ out of zombies -- it was funny as all hell).

I don't know the overall story, but the premise is simple and spooky enough: I'm stopped at my uncle's place and need to gather fuel for the car so I can escape; and as I'd prefer to drive more than a few feet before running out of fuel, i need to grab all the fuel I can carry. It doesn't give a lame backstory for the ghouls' presence, and certainly doesn't seem to go the usual biological weapon route (but the project is young). I hope the final version keeps things just as minimalistic, with each level amounting to simple errands in a confined area bursting with undead. The overall game is reminiscent of "Night of the Living Dead" and not "Resident Evil", and that's a very good thing.

The player character isn't terribly fast, which doesn't hinder the game as far as the "**** **** **** they're gonna get me" factor goes. And I like that I can always give a ghoulie or a crate a swift kick if I want to save ammo. The problem I have with the gameplay so far (apart from sometimes sticking to a wall) is the ghouls taking way too many shots to kill. I don't know why Yoyogames is so riddled with developers who think every member of an undead horde should be armored like a tank. The game is already perfectly terrifying with a limited supply of ammo: adding nigh-unkillable monsters to the mix just makes it tedious. Also the zombies tend to stack on top of each other when they bunch together. They ought to walk around each other like they do walls and solid objects.

Recommended, if you haven't played it yet. I'm anxiously looking forward to the final version.

#45 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Is there any legitimate way to get this decompiled by someone?
Any tech-support to contact?
I'd really like to get my source back to continue on this project.

The Black Tome

#46 PiXeLinDiE

PiXeLinDiE

inDiE Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Is there any legitimate way to get this decompiled by someone?
Any tech-support to contact?
I'd really like to get my source back to continue on this project.

So long as the .GMK is owned by you just find a decompiler. For obvious reasons I can't point to any links or anything. And as far as I'm aware if anyone else decompiled the game for you it would be breaking the ToS.

Game(s) I'm currently developing: