7 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hero's Quest

Intro:
I got inspired to make this game after playing Adventure for the Atari2600 as well as dungeon man 3 from homestarrunner.com. The theme of the game is based on those old D&D style games that came out in the 80's so i used blocky graphics and old sound effects to help create the feel.

Title: Hero's Quest
Genre: Adventure
Download Size: 1.5MB
Game File-Type: Stand-Alone Executable
Resolution: No Change, Full Screen (optional)
Current Version: v1.0
Written In: :) Registered

Description:
Hero's Quest is a top down view game that involves going from room to room killing monsters, collecting keys, and so forth. The goal of the main game is to escape from the dungeon you are in. Hero's Quest has 3 game type modes:
Normal: This is the standard game with moderate difficulty. You are allowed 5 hits till game over, this mode can be beaten within 5 minutes or so and may not provide too much of a challenge for some.
Hard: As the in game warning says, this is very difficult and will take many many tries if you wish to finish it. All the rooms have been either completely changed or altered, and the properties of all the monsters and projectiles have been adjusted. *note* i have removed the save/load state features. You are still allowed 5 hits till game over.
Endurance: This is a one room mini-game with monsters constantly respawning around you, the idea is to kill at least 500 before getting hit 3 times.

Screen shots:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Download!

*Side Note* if theres someone out there who can actually beat hard mode please PM me the end game message or screen shot. Consider this the Hero's Quest Contest ;)

Edited by Shrapnel09, 05 September 2007 - 07:27 PM.

#2 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Pretty fun! You got the retro dungeoneering atmosphere spot on. Very nice. I liked the graphics, too.
I completed it on normal, but the hard mode sure is hard...

Almost forgot: I once walked through the first locked door without a key. (Medium difficulty.) When I came back to the room, I became stuck in the door.

Edited by JTR, 05 September 2007 - 05:26 PM.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#3 Shrapnel09

Shrapnel09

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

Pretty fun! You got the retro dungeoneering atmosphere spot on. Very nice. I liked the graphics, too.
I completed it on normal, but the hard mode sure is hard...

Almost forgot: I once walked through the first locked door without a key. (Medium difficulty.) When I came back to the room, I became stuck in the door.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the Positive comment! I know im not supposed to reply to my post so soon but i just wanted you to know that i have fixed the lock bug (i had it masked sprite of the wall block) so i just deleted my project and redid it with the new file... thats what im supposed to do right? too bad the number of downloads goes back to zero, oh well.

but again thank you for the positive feedback, i was hoping that once people heard the sound effects they would understand that i wasnt being lazy with the graphics, i just wanted that retro dungeoneering feel like you mentioned.

and as always i would greatly appreciate any other feedback/comments positive or not, thanks ;)

#4 DragonRider0614

DragonRider0614

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

i tried playing it in hard mode 5 times and gave up because i cant beat it. i beat it in normal mode mode but havent tried the endurance. i thought this game would be easy but its not. and the block designs make it look like an older game but thats what you wanted it to look like so it looks ok.

#5 retopa

retopa

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

yae

#6 Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

It should say "Thy Quest awaits thee".

Ye makes no sense here. It's like saying "You all Quest aways you"

#7 happyme

happyme

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

yeh, some of the old english was a bit bodgy, but a good game overall.

7/10

#8 PointOfLight

PointOfLight

GMC Member

• 337 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:14 AM

This was really a lot of fun. It's nice to know that sometimes the simple games are still the most appealing. The only thing "missing" that would have been nice would be an indication of how many life points you have left.