• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image

Xochitl is a Staff Pick on YoYoGames, and tied for 2nd in the Reflect Games "Game In a Month Competition"!

Posted Image

Introduction
Xochitl (Nahuatl for 'flower', pronounced 'Sue-Chill') is an original arcade game I made for the Reflect Games Game in a Month Competition.

Title: Xochitl
Genre/Category: Arcade
Download Size: 4.57MB
Game File-Type: Zipped folder containing .gm6, executable, and Vista-friendly executable
Resolution: No change, windowed
Current Version: v1.0

Description
In Xochitl, you play a purple gnome whose aim it is to water flowers without being attacked by various garden animals. Enemies include beetles, spiders, snakes, and snails. There are only 8 levels as of now, but I plan to add more later.

In keeping with the restrictions of the competition, the game uses the arrow keys and spacebar for controls. So there's my excuse for not including WASD support (yet, at least). Note that the arrow keys move the purple gnome around, and spacebar drops a bomb (if you are in possession of any).

Screenshots
This one is older
This one is newer

Download

Posted Image

YoYo Games

This download contains the .gm6 (which I include in all my games), an executable, and a Vista-friendly executable. There should be no complaining. :(

Enjoy.

Edited by Polystyrene Man, 09 October 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#2 chigsam

chigsam

GMC Member

• 323 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

wow this game is awesome! 10/10 deffinitley. Except maybe the snails are a little too almighty :( its got style

#3 Neur0n

Neur0n

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

Pretty interesting, but i give it a 9/10 overall, for various reasons.

#4 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

Pretty cool. Very nice graphics, but the game itself made little sense. Then again, I guess it doesn't have to (laser shooting snails?)

I got to level 8 with a score of 12600.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#5 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback. As for the game not making sense, I believe that's typical of most arcade games. Pacman? Donkey Kong? Mario? They all seem pretty nonsensical.

#6 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback. As for the game not making sense, I believe that's typical of most arcade games. Pacman? Donkey Kong? Mario? They all seem pretty nonsensical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't really consider this arcade. I wouldn't play it in the arcade because it isn't quite "actiony" enough. But it is nice to sit down and play for a while.

Donkey Kong had a purpose: save the princess
Super Mario Brothers had a purpose: clean out the pipes
Pacman had a purpose:... Oh, never mind, I got nothing on that one.

I guess this game has a purpose: garden. I was really pointing out the weird snails... I'd hate to have those in my backyard.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#7 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donkey Kong had a purpose: save the princess
Super Mario Brothers had a purpose: clean out the pipes
Pacman had a purpose:... Oh, never mind, I got nothing on that one.

I guess this game has a purpose: garden. I was really pointing out the weird snails... I'd hate to have those in my backyard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was speaking more of the content of those games. For instance, in Pacman, you're a pizza-like character who eats pills and avoids ghosts. Ah well, this is really a minor thing. Glad you liked it.

#8 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

This is very good. You have an original idea, and you implemented it in a very realistic retrostyled way. I liked the graphics and the music, as they added to this retrostyled atmosphere. The retro initials high score list reminded me of Microsoft Arcade

I noticed that sometimes the spiders can go over each other, and act as one. Do you want that?

What contest was this for? My game TEXTLAND also uses only the arrow keys and <SPACE>, just like your game.

Anyway, this is very good.

~ Theta Games

#9 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

This is very good.  You have an original idea, and you implemented it in a very realistic retrostyled way.  I liked the graphics and the music, as they added to this retrostyled atmosphere.  The retro initials high score list reminded me of Microsoft Arcade

I noticed that sometimes the spiders can go over each other, and act as one.  Do you want that?

What contest was this for?  My game TEXTLAND also uses only the arrow keys and <SPACE>, just like your game.

Anyway, this is very good.

~ Theta Games

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really didn't want the spiders to overlap, but by preventing this, the spiders ended up taking longer routes or simply stopping (I'm using mp_grid for pathfinding). In the end, I settled with this version.

There's a link to the contest in my first post. You're free to enter your game in the contest, but only if you started it on or before August 1st.

#10 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:55 AM

For those of you interested in the results of the contest, Xochitl tied for 2nd in Reflect Games' first ever Game-in-a-Month Competition.

Posted Image

It's a fun contest, for anyone who's interested. <_<

#11 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

'guess what!'

'what?'

'ready for a cliche?'

'um no'

'oh....well...here it is anyway:'

this game brings back memories from my childhood...when even though AoE RoR was the lattest, pacman was still the greatest

chuny pixels, no movement just jumping, and the stupid idea make this a worth while game

if this was done 30 years ago you would have been famous!

#12 Bagalor

Bagalor

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:26 AM

Why do people give retarded names to their games.

#13 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

'guess what!'

'what?'

'ready for a cliche?'

'um no'

'oh....well...here it is anyway:'

this game brings back memories from my childhood...when even though AoE RoR was the lattest, pacman was still the greatest

chuny pixels, no movement just jumping, and the stupid idea make this a worth while game

if this was done 30 years ago you would have been famous!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be flattered or offended by your comment. The theme of the contest was 'arcade', so it looks like I nailed it (based on your comment). So, thanks.

Why do people give retarded names to their games.

I'll contact you next time I need to think of a name for my game.