31 replies to this topic

#1 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

This DLL-based extension package contains additional, advanced GML functions to control the game window and its taskbar button. It also supports showing Windows message boxes and playing system sounds.

Complete features list:
* Minimize, maximize, restore and activate game window or get current status
* Set or get caption of taskbar button
* Make taskbar button invisible
* Change icon in window border, taskbar button or Alt+Tab dialog
* Flash window border or taskbar button
* Animate window with roll, slide, blend, expand and collapse animations
* Show Windows message boxes
* Play system sounds

Download it at:
http://gamemaker.bli.../gameappearance

Note that this extension replaces my previous Taskbar DLL, Window DLL and Beep DLL (this extension contains more features than these three DLLs together). Thanks to Porfirio for giving a hint on changing the icons <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.

Feedback is appreciated. ::lmao::

Edited by Blijbol, 10 August 2009 - 04:06 PM.

Blijbol OnScore 2 Extend your games with online highscore lists! New version!

Joystick OEM Name DLL Controller name as in Control Panel.
Registry Reader DLL Full read access to the Windows Registry.
Game Appearance Extension Control the game window and taskbar button in detail!
INI Data Structure Extension Much better than GM's INI functions.

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#2 IamCalle

IamCalle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

Wow, this is nice, several handy DLLs in one package. ::lmao:: Thank you!

#3 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Wow, this is nice, several handy DLLs in one package. :P Thank you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. :D (Actually, it is just one DLL file with a lot of functions.)

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#4 GMmarine

GMmarine

GMC programmer/spriter

• 436 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

This is very simple and well documented extension! I think this might make it into Issue 8...( I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this :))

#5 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

This is very simple and well documented extension!  I think this might make it into Issue 8...( I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this ^_^)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, that would be great! :lol:

#6 gamegecko

gamegecko

GMC Member

• 308 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:58 AM

not everyone has a numpad, so how are they supposed to try this out?

#7 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

not everyone has a numpad, so how are they supposed to try this out?

You can modify the keys of the example in the step event.

#8 cbrad24

cbrad24

GMC Member

• 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Finaly found what I've been searching for! About 1 month of searching now? This is GREAT!

#9 kristian221

kristian221

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Surprising! I thought there would be a lot more replies on this page! This is the best example for a windows DLL Ive seen so far! (of course I just started looking today but all the other ones I found were not as good as this one). Keep up the good work! I think you should include scripts to make it simpler though.

EDIT: nm about the scripts, they are in the extention package, shows you how much Ive used extension packages! This is the first one ive used besides GM Physics.

Edited by kristian221, 31 May 2008 - 09:49 PM.

Want a simple and effective PLATFORM ENGINE with TONS of fun features? Try my SparkEngine!
Want to see a game made with it? Check out my work in prgress When The Mouse Rebels!
Did I help you? If I did, PLEASE press this link: I helped you!

#10 digitalwar

digitalwar

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

the extension is very good, but it would be perfect if you could also add some tray functions like :
-get left clicked
-get double clicked
-get right clicked
-set icon
... ... ...

#11 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

There are other extenensions/DLL's available to add system tray support to your game.

#12 sargunster

sargunster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

it just says something like "error while installing the extension" :unsure:

#13 Chris94

Chris94

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

it just says something like "error while installing the extension" ;)

I get this error too. It's unfortunate considering this may just be what I need for a program I want to create. Any help is appreciated.

Chris94

How to use 39DLL in C++/Delphi Code Example : ZIP

#14 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:38 AM

I owe you credits because, I need this for a minimize function for my dock, which uses skins in Game Maker and a Minimize Button object...
quick question but is there a chance that I could get a commercial License if after any profits made from the dock, could go towards a regular cash payment some so you would get some shares of the profits and this should be easy as I believe this dock of mine should go commercial easily and make plenty of money so how about this would you like to join the MR.SMES! team, on the current project of THE HAWK'S DOCK, which happens to be the dock I am working on, right about now...

Edited by mrsmes, 26 October 2008 - 12:14 PM.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#15 LaLaLa

LaLaLa

GMC Member

• 511 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks I've used this before on my other computer and games, but when I try to install it to my laptop, I get an error message saying "An error occured installing the extension package." and I've tried redownloading the .zip file and everything, but it will not install for some reason. Any ideas?

Posted ImagePosted Image
GM Ray Tracer (Multi-threaded version)| Batch Explorer (soon) | TI-Basic IDE (soon) | Mandelbrot Set Renderer (soon) |Image Set Viewer

#16 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

From now on, old GM versions (before v7) are also supported by this extension. Download in first post. <_<

#17 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

quick question can it change the window transparency like window_alpha in a newer version, basically and to change icons appearance and for shortcuts while playing the game, so you could have a pacman eating file effect animation look during the game, and after you close it everything resumes to normal.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#18 prog

prog

GMC Member

• 1121 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

For people getting the installation error, it should work if you restart game maker in administration mode. For some reason, window_activate() doesn't work for my program. Any reason why?

Edited by prog, 06 September 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Progames

NEW WEBSITE!
I have a large collection of music on my website. If you need some, take a look.
If you need a script, PM me. I'll make you one for free.

#19 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:49 AM

it would be nice if you could change the shape of the window to a background image white cast over black and use the white parts as the shape and leave it so the black parts are not displayed but also window transparency and light adjustments, fully working without blending into another color. Other than that the extension works fine and is perfect.

#20 guppylover

guppylover

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

i loved what youve done here it's just what i needed for my new chat program!
armouredcrow.org
nikc-nack.com

check out my xbox support engine project

#21 st4k3r 4 lyf

st4k3r 4 lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

this does not work for me, GM gives me an error when i install it. Why?

IF THE BRAIN WERE SO SIMPLE WE COULD UNDERSTAND IT, WE WOULD BE SO SIMPLE WE COULDN'T.

-Lyall Watson-

#22 Drara

Drara

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

this does not work for me, GM gives me an error when i install it. Why?

Lol, your signature is very anoying in this case...
Du you mean you get the error when trying to install the gex?

Try to download the extension again. I had this aat a time but the error disappeared at the second try.

Which version of GM do you use?

#23 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

Also if you could fix this to work with GM8 and GM7 and earlier and later and also please i am begging of you, please add a window shape editing function complete with a handle for the window and it must work with windows xp, vista, 7 and if even possible to be later then later for you see the window skinning DLL has come to a screeching halt thus my dock is also at a screeching halt, I'll put you in the credits i'll add you as a MSN contact I'll even pay you to make the extension have those features i am talking $100.00 for those features and yes i have the money in my bank account to make this transaction right here and now working from home anywhere possible to send you the money that is.

#24 _175146

_175146

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

just 4 fun usin 2 make fake vrus lol:
//in the create
window_minimize()
flash_taskbar()//just in case the start bar is hidden
window_set_showtaskbar(0)
it works to, i've tried it on my laptop :P
but you CAN shut it down via task manager-->proccesses-->game.exe-->end process
do ya wanna know a secret....
Spoiler

Projects:
Spoiler

oh, and:
Posted Image

#25 Sasino97

Sasino97

GMC Member

• 35 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

It's not working for me on 8.0, it can't load the extension package.

Edited by Sasino97, 08 June 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#26 Canuckles

Canuckles

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

This doesn't do anything with the taskbar in studio.

bah :/

Does anyone know anything that does?

Edited by Canuckles, 17 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#27 Tthecreator

Tthecreator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

this seems pretty nice but would you put in the codes for the features..

I like this stuff

zet m' op!

progresses of my games:

IMPF maincoms: 5%, just making it for my friends as an reaction test since we are a tf2 team using some minigames and trowing some networking in. not shore why i'm telling this but i could make it public for anyone on request

Breaktrough engine: 1%, making an engine that is reliable, moddable(as in external data), using as many features from myself as possible. Unfortunetly i had a drawback due to corrupted files.

site: http://www.digithomas.nl (dutch)

#28 Tthecreator

Tthecreator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

p.s. this doesn't works for me at gm8 but it works fine at gms

progresses of my games:

IMPF maincoms: 5%, just making it for my friends as an reaction test since we are a tf2 team using some minigames and trowing some networking in. not shore why i'm telling this but i could make it public for anyone on request

Breaktrough engine: 1%, making an engine that is reliable, moddable(as in external data), using as many features from myself as possible. Unfortunetly i had a drawback due to corrupted files.

#29 Tthecreator

Tthecreator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

what the hack....none of those functions work i tried some of them an none of them does anything!!!!! do something else i'm going to use your old one's

progresses of my games:

#30 GlitchDetector

GlitchDetector

Eon Pokémon

• GMC Member
  • 421 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

GameMaker 8.0 Pro does not support the .GEX file. It returns an error when installing.

Either you need to fix that, or supply the version info for which GameMaker the file is made for.

#31 Tthecreator

Tthecreator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

ok so it didn't worked becouse i tried to open the example with gm8 but i treid it in studio and this time it doen't gives an error its just that none of those functions does anything..

nothing happends...at all. gamemaker shows it as a normal funciton and ingame no error. i need this extension for a studio project and i'm searching and trying those kind of extensions as a replacement of the removed "dont draw the buttons in window caption " function becouse this shouln't be used....

progresses of my games:

#32 TechChad

TechChad

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thank you! just what I needed! ::lmao:: ::lmao::